- Text Size +
Story Notes:

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, plot, etc. are property of their respective owners, including, but not limited to Russell T. Davies, Cowlip, and Showtime. The author of this story is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended...        

 

PROLOGUE

Lindsay called Brian and invited him and Justin to dinner. Things had been cordial between them. Brian told Justin about the invitation, and the blond's answer was that he had to wash his hair. Even after she had apologized and made nice, Justin still didn't like or trust her and limited any time he had to be around her. He told Brian he should go to dinner though, at least to see what she wanted. He was sure that there was more to ‘dinner' than Lindsay said. Brian figured they just wanted to either ‘borrow' money or get a donation for the GLC, so he agreed to go out of curiosity.

 

"Okay lesbian Lucy and Ethel, spill, how much are you trying to get out of me this time?" Brian asks.

 

Lindsay speaks up first. "We don't want money, Brian. We... we want to start a family and we want you to be the donor. We both want to get pregnant. Having you as the donor would mean that the children would be related."

 

"Yes. And this way you could pass on your genes, what other chance would you have to do that?" Mel added in.

 

Brian, looking back and forth between the women answers, "None. Because I'm not doing it,"

 

"But Brian..." Lindsay began, only to be cut off.

 

"I told you, Lindz, he's much too selfish to help us," Melanie spat.

 

"And you want any child I ‘donate' my sperm for to be raised by her? This conversation is over," Brian cleared his throat, before standing up to leave. "If I ever decide to have children, I will be the one to raise them," Brian told them before walking out and slamming the door.

 

After Brian left their house, Lindsay sat stunned while Melanie seethed. Her hate for Brian Kinney had always been the stuff of legends, but no more than right then. Brian had everything they needed but he wasn't willing to share; telling them, more often than not that they needed to find a way to fix their own lives before trying to condemn him for the way he chose to live his. Lindsay had tried everything, from guilt-laden comments to subtle or high-handed reprimands. Melanie had always called attention to his decadent, hedonistic lifestyle, and to his egocentric behavior.

 

It always pissed her off how much Brian had while barely working. After all, he had manic minions and pencil pushers to do the heavy lifting within the business for him. Yet she worked her ass off but didn't have half as much. If Melanie really thought about it, she could blame herself for aligning herself with a proper WASP princess, who was used to the finer things in life. It made no sense to her that although she could have been considered well off in her own right, thanks to her inheritance as well as her job, Brian Kinney was working-poor trash, who had somehow made good. The bitterness and jealousy Melanie felt at that small but substantial comparison between her and Brian made her all the more angry that their plan wasn't going to work.

 

"I'll get it, Mel. I promise," Lindsay whispered to her.

 

"Lindz, you heard the man. He has his mind made up and nothing and no one is going to change it. Brian Kinney does not do anything that he doesn't want to do. And after the last time we ‘borrowed' money from him under the pretense that it was for the house, I can't say that I blame him. Let's just forget about him. How about we ask Ted?"

 

"You can't be serious, Melanie," Lindsay scoffed. "Ted? Ted Schmidt, the man who Brian pays to act as the accountant for his company?"

 

"One and the same. I mean technically, Brian will still be supporting us, but indirectly."

 

Lindsay shook her blonde locks violently. She wouldn't hear of some other alternative than the one she had originally planned. "I said that I would get it, Mel, and I will. I don't want some neurotic substitute for Brian, I want Brian. His genes mixed with ours would make the most adorable, blood-bound children. Not to mention that they will be intelligent beyond their years and will certainly want for nothing. Brian may not want to be a father, but he would never leave his children to fend for themselves... nor their mothers."

 

"Lindz, you do realize that what you are considering is morally reprehensible, right? He already said no and all of your guilt-tripping innuendos aren't going to make him change his mind. We just have to come up with another plan."

 

"We already have one. Brian forgot one very important detail in denying me- denying us- what we want. I do not take no for an answer when I want something. Brian will indeed father children for us, just you wait Mel, and you will certainly see. I will get what I want."

 

"Lindsay, what are you planning? It's not like you can just steal sperm." Mel told her, shaking her head.

 

They would have their children and she and Mel would be supported, even if she had to break faith with Brian to accomplish it.



CHAPTER 1

 

Since Justin didn't want to attend the Muncher's dinner, Brian had gone alone, telling them that Justin wasn't feeling well. It wasn't entirely untrue. Even though things were cordial between the two couples, Justin didn't like to spend any more time around them than necessary. He couldn't put his finger on it, but there was something not to be trusted about them.

 

Brian returned from Lindsay and Melanie's within an hour. Justin wasn't expecting him so soon but he knew that his thought of mere moments ago confirmed his suspicions. When he saw Brian he became concerned; his lover looked rather upset. If the girls simply wanted money for The GLC, as Brian had suspected, why would he look like that?

 

"Hey, what's up? You look strange. Is everything alright? What did they want you to do, give them all your money?" Justin joked, not liking the way Brian looked.

 

Brian walked over and kissed his lover, not sure how he felt. Taking Justin's hand, Brian headed for the big chair. Once they were holding each other, Brian spoke, "They wanted my sperm,"

 

"They WHAT?" Justin asked, shocked.

 

"They wanted my sperm. Both of them. So they could both get pregnant and have kids that are related,"

 

Justin was concerned about this for multiple reasons. But no matter their private relationship, this would have to be Brian's decision. One thing Justin would not attempt to do was impose his will, or try to change Brian's mind by giving his opinion without being asked for it, although he was tempted to. Brian would have to make up his own mind about this.

 

"So what did you tell them?" Justin asked, trying to keep his voice neutral so he couldn't be guilty of swaying Brian either way on this. It didn't stop the mantra running through his head though, reminding him that he didn't want Brian mixed up with the lesbians and their sojourn into impending motherhood. He had a feeling that it would do Brian more harm than good in the long run.

 

"I refused. I told them that if I ever decided to have children, I would be the one to raise them. Azure, you know what my childhood was like. I would never let a child of mine be raised where I could not control how they were raised. I would want them raised with love; to know right from wrong of course, but for those lessons to be taught in a loving and caring way, not have it beaten into them so that they go through life always second-guessing themselves. I'm not saying that would happen with Lindsay and Mel, not at all. But I could never take that chance. Do you think I was wrong to refuse?"

 

"No, Irish, not at all. I agree with you totally. Honestly, I'm happy you said no," Justin answered, letting out a breath he was holding, relieved by Brian's decision.

 

"Azure, would you have told me to say no, or refused to let me do it if I had wanted to?"

 

"No, Irish. That decision had to be yours to make. If you had asked I would have given you my opinion, but the choice still would have been yours to make. Yes, I am your Dom, but that is the kind of decision that would have been strictly up to you. My goal is to enhance your life, not run it."

 

Brian tightened his grip on his lover. Knowing Justin was there for him, supporting him and his decisions but not trying to run his life- unlike the ‘family'- meant the world to the older man. It felt so freeing to know that he always had someone who would be there just for him. He had never had anyone like Justin in his life before; someone who always put him first.   

 

Justin breathed a mental sigh of relief. For Brian to be tied biologically to Melanie and Lindsay would have been possibly the worst thing to happen to both of them. No doubt, Lindsay would have used her influence to impose certain rules on what Brian should be doing, fomenting reasons why Brian should be more attentive to her and the children, instead of being with Justin. In his mind Justin could just hear Lindsay, all sweet and persuasive:

 

‘Oh Brian, your child hasn't seen you for ages. You can play with Justin some other time. I'm sure he would understand and agree that your children need you, and that I... I mean they, should come first.' ‘Brian, do you think you could come over and be with your children? No, I don't want to bring them over to the loft. I think the babies would be most comfortable in our own house. No, Justin can't come along. I'm sure he can do without you for the next four hours, or so. And if I arrive home late, I'm sure I could find someplace for you to sleep. You know father-bonding time is just as important as mommy-time with children. And Justin isn't their father, you are. You should really put their needs before your own; that's what parents do. After all, I do it all the time and you should, too.'

 

Justin was sure that Lindsay would do anything to make her fantasies of Brian always being up under her, supporting her, and being a helpmate to her, a reality. And Justin was sure that Lindsay wasn't above using Brian's children to accomplish that. After years in the country club set, he knew how the system of suggestions worked, and he would have hated to see Brian fall, sperm first, into Lindsay's trap.

 

Then there's Melanie and her power-hungry, ego-tripping ways. For her, it would have probably been about putting Brian in his place, not allowing him to see the children unless they needed a built-in babysitter, so that they could go do whatever the hell they wanted. And then there would be child support to consider. Brian made a very substantial living, compared to Melanie. And Justin was sure that if Melanie had her way, Brian would be left with twenty dollars a year, at the most, to live on.

 

He didn't really know Melanie, but if Lindsay's behavior was anything to go by, he would have bet his last dollar that she was a jealous woman, who was blind to her partner's shortcomings. He wouldn't doubt that she was also fearful of being alone, so she willingly turned a blind eye to Lindsay's bullshit, simply for the sake of having somebody. Justin would never understand women, or people in general, who are like that. They would put up with anything, including emotional abuse, just to keep up appearances. It was all a game of manipulation and control by Lindsay and Melanie, which, from where he sat, were often used against Brian.

 

The only difference was that the latter probably also used the control as a method to rein in her wayward, whimsical wife, even while inflicting it on the wrong person.

 

One thing was still troubling him about them asking Brian. Why not go to a sperm bank and request samples from the same frozen ‘Pop' if it was just that they wanted to start an alternative family, where the children were blood-related? Justin shivered as the multitude of answers became all too clear in his mind. No. The best thing that Brian could do for himself and his sanity is to stay as far from Lindsay and Melanie's fantasies of procreation using his sperm, as possible.

 

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

 

The day after the meeting that had gotten her fired, Laura had called Craig Taylor. She knew he would be pissed, but there was nothing she could do.

 

"Craig, I just want to let you know that there is no way you will be able to get to Justin now. He and Brian Kinney are partners, at work and at home. Brian Kinney is not only very rich but now Justin is also, and he has Harriet Bartier on his side. She was at the meeting. Not only that, but Glenn Bartier was there too, and he broke off our engagement. I'm fairly sure that he will now be dating Daphne Chanders. He also made a comment to Daphne that makes me think they had a previous relationship, not just a close friendship. And FYI, Daphne is working as Justin's assistant."

 

"Well, we shall just see about that. Daphne just turned eighteen. I think I'll call Daniel Chanders and see what he thinks about his barely-legal daughter going around with that man. If they had a relationship prior to her eighteenth birthday, that is statutory rape. I may not be able to get to that fucking faggot who was my son, directly, but I can certainly cause as much trouble as possible for everyone connected to him. If you get any, and I mean any, information about those faggots or anyone connected to them, I expect to be informed immediately. You have already fucked up enough. You'd better find a way to make yourself useful."

 

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

 

Emmett and Debbie were sitting at a table in the diner while she was on a break, sharing tidbits of gossip as they were wont to do this time of day when the diner was less busy. She had heard all about Brian's new love affair with his Executive Artistic Liaison. By all the accounts she'd heard from the patrons of the Diner, Justin Taylor was no ordinary man and he and Brian were hot together. Although it was nice to hear, that wasn't really what she wanted to know.

 

"So Emmett, tell me how this Justin Taylor is different from all of Brian's other tricks? I mean from the way everyone is talking about him, you would think he was the second coming of Christ or something. Either everyone wants him or everyone wants to be him is what I'm gathering."

 

Emmett put down his coffee, dabbing his lips as only a true queen would. He has had the pleasure of actually getting to know Justin and his wonderful assistant / best friend Daphne since they've come on the scene a little while ago. He found them both to be intelligent and humorous in so many ways. Even Vic had fallen in love with the duo. "What exactly are you asking me, Deb?"

 

"Okay smarty pants, you want direct questions? Well okay... so, rumor has it that he was a hustler at one time. Is that true?"

 

"Yes it is, but not for the reasons you think," Emmett said, holding up his hand before Deb could add a comment, "Justin's father is a real humdinger and put his son out for being gay, giving him only minutes to gather his possessions and threatening him, along with others- if he dared contact anyone who might help him. I know there is even more to the story, but Justin chose to give me the short version,"

 

"So how did he come to be an Executive within Brian's company, if he was a mere street rat?" Debbie couldn't help but be intrigued by that. It was almost like a Cinderfella story around here to go from hustler to well-to-do, and usually, it involved becoming someone's kept man. Although it didn't seem to be that way with Justin's story.

 

"It just so happens that the boy- the young man- is really fucking talented, Deb. He had been hired as an errand and copy boy. At the end of his first week, Brian's art department had totally fucked up some boards he needed. And we all know what kind of rampage the Big Bad must have been on when he looked at them. Brian is nothing if not a perfectionist. Anyway, Justin looked at them and told him immediately what was wrong. Within an hour, Justin totally and perfectly redid the boards that the art department had had for well over four days and still fucked up.

And on a personal note, between his artistic genius and Brian's advertising godlikeness, HoneyGrass Furnishings is doing exceptionally well, since we renewed our contract with Kinnetik. Justin's drawings were unlike anything I had ever seen! In fact, I think that Justin should be displaying at Bloom, or even in New York somewhere; he's that good. The initial drawings he did during our meeting alone should have been hung in a gallery, and that was after only an hour! They captured mine and Vic's passion for the business, and their new and fresh ideas have us all reaping the rewards."

 

"Well, that's good to know. But I want to know about Justin as a person," Deb huffed. Sometimes Emmett could be really obtuse and wax poetic about everything from cereal to socks.

 

"Well he's..." Emmett started to say before he was rudely interrupted by the unwelcome whine, which he hadn't missed.

 

"...a conniving, scheming, ass-throwing little liar is what he is!"

 

"Michael!" Deb exclaimed, getting up to hug her son, whom she hadn't seen in months. Although she was still pretty pissed at him for the way he had treated her the last time they were together with his new friends, she still missed how close they used to be. "How are you? What have you and Ben been up to?"

 

"Ben is fine, Ma, but I'm not. That fucking blond boy ass that Brian has ‘working' for him is suing me for Slander and Defamation of Character when all I said was the truth about him."

 

"What exactly did you say, Michael?" Emmett asked, already knowing the full story, but wanting to hear Michael's version of events. One thing he could always say about Michael was that in his world, everything was always black or white and he was always right.

 

"I said that he was a liar, a thief, and a whore, all of which is true! Did you know he tried to steal Brian's wallet not too long ago? But I put a stop to that!" Michael smirked, applauding himself for his efforts.

 

The way he saw it, Brian should be standing with him for his act of heroism alone. He always likened his and Brian's relationship to that of Captain Astro and Galaxy Lad. Michael was Brian's sidekick and was happy to watch his back, whether the man appreciated it or not. He just had to wait Brian out; he'd come around. Michael had no doubt of that... well as soon as he could get rid of that fucking Justin Taylor, he would.

 

"Ahh Michael," Emmett interrupted the man's introspection. "I thought it was decided a long time ago that Justin was never trying to steal Brian's wallet. In fact, according to Ted, who was standing right there, by the way, Brian had careened into Justin and his wallet had fallen out of his pocket because of the impact. Justin then picked it up and handed it back to Brian. Now based on Justin's lineage, I doubt very much that he would have needed to steal anything."

 

"What the fuck do you know, Emmett? You haven't even been around lately. How could you take the word of some fuckboy over your friend? God, Brian's boy toy has got all of you snowed, especially Brian!"

 

Emmett rolled his eyes heavenward. Praying for patience had become his norm whenever he had to deal with Michael Novotny-Bruckner. It was always apparent to him that Michael had both selective memory and hearing; opting to live in his own fantasy world where Brian was concerned. And it was never more clear than now. Fixing a fierce gaze on the man he used to consider one of his best friends, Emmett spoke in a tone so low that both Deb and Michael had to bend forward to hear him.

 

"Michael, let's get one thing straight right now: Justin comes from money. Not Lindsay's family type of money, but a looooong line of money within the WASP nest, which means he could buy and sell your ass a million times over with pennies to spare. Yes, Justin was a hustler for a time due to a disagreement within his household, but that isn't really any of your business. I only told you so that you could maybe understand how lucky you are to have a parent not kick you out because you like dick. That said, Justin is and will always be more talented, more intelligent, and more suited to work for, with, and on Brian, than you ever will be. So that little contretemps that you and Lindsay caused the last time Justin and Brian were in here having lunch, was entirely your fault. And as a result, Justin has decided to retaliate within the confines of the law.

Long story short: YOU DID slander him, YOU DID defame his character based on what you thought you knew, and YOU WILL PAY for it." Emmett then turned towards a shocked Debbie and kissed her on the cheek. "Sorry to have raised my voice at him, Deb. But it really couldn't be helped. If you take anything away from what I have just said, it's to not let Michael play the victim. Because he isn't one, and as always, Michael's mouth gets him into big trouble. Don't be his fool and try to get him out of it for once, okay?"

 

Deb nodded, unsure how to take what Emmett was saying, or the hateful look Michael leveled on him when he was through speaking. She had known for months now that her son had not only changed, but in the worst of ways. He was constantly making her question her judgment of people, since of all the folks she had met in her life, she thought that she should have known her child the best. But Michael's mistreatment of everyone around him- friend and foe alike- had caused her to see that Michael was not the doe-eyed innocent that he had always purported to be, and maybe it was her fault that he was allowed to deflect blame onto others so that he could remain squeaky clean in her eyes. That was the subject of many rows she had with her brother Vic for as long as she could remember.

 

It wasn't that Vic didn't love Michael; it was that he didn't like the person Michael had become. At the moment, even amid her confusion, she couldn't say that Vic's feelings weren't valid. Vic had moved out some time ago, after their last argument about the way Michael had behaved and treated both his mother and his uncle in front of Michael's new more enlightened crowd. Vic had told her that in order to save their lifelong relationship, as both siblings and best friends, he needed to leave so that she could deal with Michael at will and however she saw fit. She and Vic still saw each other every day, but it wasn't the same as when they had lived together. She still missed him.   

 

"So Ma, are you going to help me or not? I don't give a shit what Emmett says. I mean, what does he really know anyway? Brian owes us his loyalty, not some blond trick who blew his cock right. This isn't fair to me or you," Michael finished his statement with his usual petulant stance of a pouty mouth and folded arms.

 

Deb sighed deeply. She really wished Michael would learn to fight his own battles, and also learn when to shut the fuck up! But if she was ever going to get straight answers about this entire episode, she knew she needed to go straight to the source- or in this case- sources. "Yeah Michael honey, I'll talk to him." She was rewarded with one of Michael's bright smiles, and at that moment she knew that everything Emmett had told her was right. Yes, she would talk to Brian, but not for the reasons that her dear son thought.

 

Heading into Kinnetik after her shift, Debbie asked the receptionist if Brian was free and if he had time to see her. Hearing the redhead at the desk, Brian figured that the whiner ran to his mommy, and told her that Brian's ‘hustler' is suing him. He hasn't been at the diner lately, because Justin's cooking is just so much better than anything he has ever had there. His stomach growled at the thought of the scrumptious treats that had caused Brian to forsake the mediocre fare at the greasy spoon where he'd eaten many times before. It didn't hurt that he often followed up dinner with a serving of dessert a la Justin, which made leaving the loft building during off-work hours, both unnecessary and impossible.

 

So, figuring he might as well get this over with so he could satisfy both of his healthy appetites, he opened his door and ushered Debbie in. "Deb, I suppose you're here because..."

 

Holding up her hand, Debbie stopped Brian from continuing. "No, Brian, I'm not here to defend Michael, if that's what you think. I did see my son and I heard his side of things, but I also heard Emmett's. I would like to hear what you have to say, and I would also like to meet the young man that Emmett refers to as your ‘other half'. Emmett is quite enamored of the blond, which knowing your usual type, is a shock in itself. I don't think I've ever seen you with a blond. Emmett had quite a few things to say to Michael when he was going off about your partner. And judging by my son's attitude lately, I don't blame Emmett one bit. There was a time when I would have met this young man long ago, but you hardly ever come to the diner anymore. Is he here today?"

 

Brian was quite shocked by Debbie's comments. Usually, she would have been screaming about how Michael was innocent, hadn't done anything wrong, and that Brian needed to fix this before she heard a word that anyone said. "Yes, Deb, Justin is here in the office, and I will call him in as long as you are willing to listen to what we have to say, which it seems like you want to do,"

 

She nodded and confirmed that she really was interested in getting the whole story, from a true source. If there was one thing Deb knew within her heart, it's that Brian wasn't a liar. Even if he would stand silently, and never confirm or deny things, he never overtly told an untruth. No. If anything, Brian would simply hold his silence in order to keep the peace. She had to wonder about that.

 

"HEY, JUSTIN," Brian yelled.

 

"Yes, Brian?" Justin answered, coming into the office.

 

"Classy, Brian," Deb said, rolling her eyes.

 

"Justin, this is Debbie..."

 

"It's nice to meet you, Debbie," Justin greeted the woman, holding out his hand.

 

Debbie took the proffered hand as Brian continued, "Michael's mother,"

 

"Oh," was Justin's answer.

 

"I can see that Emmett was right. Now, will you two tell me your version of what my son has been up to?"

 

They took their seats on the sofa while Debbie took the single armchair facing them. Once comfortable, Brian and Justin proceeded to tell Deb everything that had happened from the first literal ‘run-in' that Justin had with Brian when Michael had accused Justin of trying to steal Brian's wallet, all the way up to Justin filing the lawsuit. Debbie sat calmly and listened, loving the interaction between the two men. They spoke alternatingly, without missing a beat and often finished each other's sentences. She could see not only the deep feelings between them but could hear the truth in their words. Once they were finished, she took her turn.

 

"Well, first of all, Brian, I'm very happy that you found someone. It's about fucking time you did and I wish both of you the best. As for my son, he deserves whatever he gets. Justin, you should be very proud of what you have made of your life; you deserve every happiness you can get. I'm very ashamed of the way my son has treated you. I tried to raise him better than that..." She shook her head in sadness as she let the sentence trail off for a moment. Brian and Justin could tell that she was trying to contain her emotions, even as a single tear slipped out of the corner of her eye. She wiped it away, her resolve to complete her thought assured. "But I've also spent too much time trying to excuse the things that he did. He is a grown man now and will have to accept the consequences of what he has done. I suppose it's about time he takes his own hard knocks and gets back some of the misery he's been putting the two of you through,"

 

Brian got up from his seat then. Moving to stand in front of the mother of his heart, he met her eyes and opened his arms. When she stood up, her embrace was everything Brian could have hoped for at that moment. It was rare that he would accept or show open displays of affection, but with Debbie sitting there looking lost and a little forlorn at the prospect that she wouldn't be able to save Michael from his own folly this time, he knew she needed his acceptance. "You're doing the right thing, Ma. We both are,"

 

He felt her tremble within his arms. And although his heart broke for her, he once again cursed Michael for causing this normally-strong woman undue pain. But he would make it so Michael learned that his actions and words have consequences, and in the process, help Debbie to heal as she had done for him so many years ago. Emotional bruises hurt much worse than their physical counterparts, and in Brian's world, Michael would pay for every single one he inflicted onto their mother.