- Text Size +

 

 

CHAPTER 11

 

Lindsay was on the verge of screaming. But if she started, she didn't think she'd be able to stop. From beginning to end, it had been the day from hell! First, the meeting with Brian, which was supposed to persuade him to her way of thinking, had backfired. Brian was as belligerent as always when he dug his heels in about something.

 

But this particular something was the most troublesome, fucking infuriating blond, she ever had the displeasure to meet! She had tried to be nice; she really had. But admittedly, her mistake was in underestimating Justin fucking Taylor. He wasn't biddable at all for all that he looked like a pushover, or someone she could make cry with mere words. She tried that and it hadn't worked!

 

In fact, if truth be told he took her veiled insults, threw them back in her face and issued one of his own that quickly cut her to the core. But this... Well she had a right mind to march back into Kinnetik and smack the fuck out of him! Not only for his interference with all of her plans to get Brian well and truly planted by her side where he belonged, but the little bastard had the temerity to call the two people who would make her stop trying altogether!

 

After leaving Brian's office, she headed further into downtown, crossing the bridge into an area she'd known all her life. The Sewickley suburb of Pittsburgh was one of the most affluent areas of the city. In fact, it had a good mix of both old and new money. About a half mile into the neighborhood, she made a left into the residential area, parking in front of the Colonial house of her youth. She was surprised when both of her parents met her at the door, almost as if they were expecting her.

 

"Lindsay, what brings you by?" her father had asked, a frown marring his brow in a way she hadn't seen since she brought Melanie home for the first time.

 

"What makes you think I had a reason? Perhaps I was just in the neighborhood, and wanted to have a bit of a visit with my parents," She simpered as she looked to her mother, who wouldn't meet her eyes for some reason. Usually that only happened when her parents had a disagreement of some sort. "Is everything alright? Did I come at a bad time?"

 

"Perhaps if you had called first, as you've been taught, we would have told you not to bother. You see, I've already had an interesting phone call regarding you today, and honestly, I'm not sure how to feel about it right now," Her father answered testily.

 

"What do you mean?" Lindsay asked, genuinely confused, but unable to stop the wary feeling which settled in the pit of her stomach all of a sudden.

 

"How are the babies, Lindsay?" Nancy asked, speaking for the first time. The hard glint in her eyes reminded Lindsay of shards of glass, cutting and intense.

 

"I- I don't know what you're talking about. Wh-what babies?"

 

Her father blew out an exasperated breath. "We know all about Tiffany and Christian. Or are they so new that you've forgotten that you and that she-wolf had them less than a week ago? What the fuck were you thinking, Lindsay?!"

 

"Can we please go inside and talk about this? I doubt that the entire neighborhood needs to know our business," Nancy asked.

 

"No we cannot, Nancy. Lindsay is not welcome here anymore, and before you ask Lindsay, the bank of Mommy and Daddy, and all of their connections into this vaunted community, are ALSO closed."

 

Lindsay gasped in response to Ron Peterson's decree. "What? What are you talking about? Why? I haven't done anything wrong!"

 

"Haven't you though? I know all about your involvement in attempting to defame a young man's character; the same young man who is part of the most influential family in this community. It was bad enough that his own father spread vicious rumors and lies about him, but to think that you, OUR daughter, had the temerity to do the same... you aren't fit to walk the same ground as Justin Taylor!"

 

"Justin? What does Justin have to do with this?!"

 

"Everything! And before you deny anything he's said, you need to know that we've heard the recording of you in Brian's office, trying to coerce him into slandering Justin so that you could have the man, the money, and the kids. So don't you stand there and act like you didn't!"

 

"Oh alright, I did! So what?! He doesn't deserve Brian, I DO! I've stuck by him and guided him; I've helped nurture his talent in advertising and introduced him to all the right people. Besides what's the big deal? It's not like you were happy with me being involved with Melanie. I thought the fact that I was, once again, turning to cock would please you,"

 

"Oh, we are pleased," Nancy said, "but not for the reasons you think, Lindsay. It's funny. We thought that Melanie was too low-bred for you; a bad influence, which caused you to forget your upbringing. But with this latest turn of events, and the personal call we received from Justin Taylor, it just confirms what Lynette and others within this small circle have said about you over the years. My only regret is that I didn't see what a manipulative little bitch you've grown to be, while it was still correctable. The fact that you stole sperm to get pregnant on purpose after the man specifically told you no, is beyond appalling! It is along the lines of something Catherine Taylor, Justin's stepmother, although he doesn't claim her as such, and her harlot offspring are more apt to do. You have proven that you are cut from the same cloth. To use innocent children to entrap a man- a gay man- who clearly does not want you, is despicable and I'm ashamed of you!"

 

Nancy turned to go into the house, tears slipping out of her eyes for more reasons than she could count. Not the least of which, were the promises Justin Taylor made while he was on the phone, as to what would happen if they helped Lindsay in any way. She honestly couldn't blame the young man for his anger. She had always known him to be a kind and gentle young man, with more talent in his pinky finger than most people had in their whole bodies. While she and Ron sat there listening to what Lindsay had been up to, she not only felt ashamed of her offspring but angry on Justin's behalf. He didn't deserve the spite and vindictiveness of Lindsay, simply because she wasn't born with a cock.

 

Unbeknownst to Lindsay, her stunt with Brian Kinney was exactly how Nancy was conceived- through trickery and entrapment- and Nancy had paid the price for it with a less than stellar homelife. The only difference was that her mother had slipped her father a little powder, one which worked as a date rape drug back in those days. It temporarily paralyzed him, even while it allowed the erection, and ultimately the sperm needed for her mother to conceive. What followed made it easy for her mother since being a single mother was frowned upon, especially in their circles. Knowing that she needed to play the victim was the only way to save herself from social obscurity.

 

Virginia Foster was determined to have Jacob Nielsen- whose family was even more well off than her own- marry her. She told of the event over and over again to both sets of their parents, making Jacob out to be the aggressor. Jacob had denied it all, especially as he was engaged to another woman whom he loved with his whole heart. Nancy believed that if the young woman hadn't been directly told by Virginia what she planned to do, and as a result killed herself, Jacob would have told the Nielsens and the Fosters to go fuck themselves and their fortunes. So Nancy grew up with one parent who punished her for not gaining and keeping her father's attention, and another parent who barely acknowledged her until she met and was ready to marry another wealthy young man, who would be a great contact for the business he'd thrown himself into in order to escape Virginia. But that wasn't his only reason...

 

The night before her wedding, her father had invited her out for dinner- just the two of them- to apologize to her, and to tell her the entire story of his and Virginia's lives together. He asked her to promise him, that she would never do such a thing to Ron Peterson. He asked her to consider if she really loved Ron, even if it meant letting him go if there was someone else. Nancy assured him that she did; that she would always want his happiness, even if it meant that he was no longer hers. Jacob had smiled at her then, saying that he was proud of the woman she had become.

 

He also surprised her telling by advising that when he'd spoken to Ron earlier in the day, and her fiance had told him the exact same thing in regards to Nancy. Jacob assured her that he was absolutely positive that Ron and Nancy's marriage would last, no matter what life threw at them. And that they wouldn't put their future children in the middle of a warzone, the way he and Virginia had, for which he apologized to her again. So much had become clear in those few heartfelt moments with her father. Nancy was actually glad, and relieved to be getting out from under Virginia, not only for her sake but for her father's as well.

 

Jacob would be free to divorce the bitch, and marry the woman he'd been in a relationship with for nearly twenty years. The affair with Nancy's future stepmother began when Nancy had started the first grade, and had been going strong ever since. She even knew her half- brothers and sisters, although she didn't know that they were related at the time. When the divorce was final, Nancy felt no sympathy for her mother, or the fact that she was barely left with anything. And although she and Ron had their share of problems over the years, that long-ago promise she made to Jacob Nielsen was always at the forefront of her mind. It played a major part in how she treated her husband, whom she really did love.

 

As she looked at her daughter through the window, again Nancy couldn't help wondering to herself how she could have given birth to such a malicious bitch. She watched Ron as he continued to converse with the harridan Nancy used to regard as her own flesh and blood. It was kind of pathetic and sad that although she had known Lindsay all her life, she never realized just how much her daughter looked and acted like Virginia Foster-Nielsen, until now. The look of avariciousness was written all over the tall blonde with the ‘Earth Mother' appeal that her own mother had possessed at one time. And Nancy now knew, it was all a crock of shit.

 

"Well Lindsay, you've heard your mother. And I agree with her, wholeheartedly. You've decided to mix it up with some powerful people,"

 

"What are you talking about, Daddy? Justin has no clout within this set; he's just some idiot kid," Lindsay scoffed.

 

"Wrong again! My God, don't you ever just shut up and listen?! No you don't, do you? Not only is Justin's family from old, old Pittsburgh steel tycoon money, unlike us, but his new money already equals ours,"

 

You mean Brian's money..."

 

"NO! I mean HIS! God, stop thinking with your cunt and open your ears!" Ron exhaled a frustrated breath and shook his head, understanding for the first time that Lindsay will only hear what she wants to hear, unless it involves money. Well she will damn sure hear him now! "To make it all clear to you, Lindsay, you are cut off. You're on your own. Whatever you have in the bank is it. The well of Peterson has run dry; there is nothing left for you here."

 

"You can't do that!"

 

"Can, did, and am, Lindsay. Nancy and I will not allow our continued association with you to jeopardize all that we've worked for all these years. You've forgotten the very first rule of the WASP nest,"

 

"What's that?" Lindsay folded her arms over her heaving breasts, frustrated and angry tears in her eyes.

 

"The law of self-preservation. If your ship is sinking, drop the dead weight. You ARE dead weight, Lindsay. We wish you well, but do yourself a favor and don't darken our door again. You'll be arrested, if you do," With that last warning, Ron turned and followed his wife into the house, shutting the door for the last time on his scheming daughter.

 

Lindsay stood there, debating if she should march to the door, and lean on the bell until they answered her. What kind of parents left their child in their time of need? How dare they do this to her?! Just as she was about to follow through with her initial thought, the police stopped in front of her car. As the officers approached, she was advised that the homeowners asked that they escort her off the property.

 

She went willingly, since she didn't have any choice, only to be faced with her parents' attorney who handed her an envelope. Tearing it open, she read the restraining order that her parents had put out on her. She is not allowed to be within 2000 feet of them at any given time. She couldn't believe that her life was literally being snatched out from under her like this, and all because of a fucking blond nobody. A blond nobody who apparently has more clout than you ever will, her mind taunted her.

 

It took everything in her for her not to start screaming aloud. No doubt with the police standing there, she would have been taken directly to Three Rivers Psychiatric Hospital. No, what she needed to do was get home to Melanie. Surely after the woman heard what kind of day she's had, Mel would be sensitive to her needs... for once.

 

Getting back into her car, she pointed her car in the direction that would take her out of Sewickley and away from her parents... permanently.

 

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

The first thing that Lindsay noticed when she arrived in her driveway was that the house was dark. Mel's car was in the driveway, so she couldn't help thinking that maybe the shorter brunette was in there waiting for her. It was a relief to actually come home to someone waiting for her. Seeing as how Brian had left her behind for some blond boy ass, and her family had officially abandoned her, it was a welcome turn of events. Alighting from the car and climbing up the five steps leading to the front door Lindsay suddenly felt exhausted.

 

The last few days of giving birth, fighting with Brian, then with her parents, was truly taking their toll on her. She had lost everything. Her job was basically non-existent, since she was teaching at the college and they decided to fill her position permanently when she applied for her maternity leave. Which was now unnecessary. She chuckled at the irony of that. She was on maternity leave for children that she will never hold or see or know, and all because she got pregnant by the wrong man.

 

She still couldn't believe that Brian bottomed for Justin, but that was neither here nor there right now. The fact is that she's officially lost her best friend because of it was the real issue. Brian would have supported her; he would have taken care of her; he would finally have loved her as more than a friend, if she had been able to give him his son. Now she wasn't even relegated to the ever-present friend zone anymore. Instead she was in the eternal social pariah sphere, courtesy of the father of her child, Justin Taylor.

 

Oh, how she wished there was some way to get back at him! But she was honest with herself in finally acknowledging that the man is untouchable. Not only does he have money, he has connections that could keep her and Mel unemployable for a long time. She didn't need to piss him off further. He'd already proven just how far his reach could go when he had her parents cut her off with his threat of social annihilation.  

 

Taking a deep breath, Lindsay unlocked the front door and went inside, hoping beyond hope that Mel would have a solution to their ever-growing list of problems. That was one thing she'd always appreciated about Melanie. She was quick-witted and tart-tongued, able to think and come up with solutions in the spur of the moment. The problem was, that often when she did, Lindsay would disregard the advice, waving it off as ridiculous or ignoring it altogether. Had she heeded Melanie's counsel- first in regards to Michael, and now about not going after Brian's sperm in the first place- they wouldn't be in this situation now.

 

"Mel?? Mel, I'm home," Lindsay called out, shrugging when she didn't receive an answer.

 

Moving through the house, Lindsay headed to the refrigerator and pulled out the last of the wine she'd opened last night. Flicking the light switch, and reaching for the cabinet where the wine glasses were kept, Lindsay gasped at what she saw before her. The antique glass cabinet which held all of their heirloom dishes, glasses and china collected over the years was busted, shards of glass and porcelain everywhere. The chunks of china were barely discernable among the rubble.

 

"Melanie!! Mel! Fuck! What the fuck are you doing? Don't you know we've been burgled?!" There was still no answer.

 

Going over to the phone, Lindsay was stopped by a note saying ‘Play Me!' next to the flashing answering machine. Against Lindsay's better judgement, she touched the button to access the voicemail. She gasped again for what seemed like the millionth time that day, while she listened to her whole conversation with Brian within his office at Kinnetik being belted out over the speaker of the machine. She listened as she detailed her plans to leave Melanie, if only Brian would agree to take Justin to court to gain custody of the kids; heard Brian's loud and firm rejection of her advances, once again. It was ego-crushing and embarrassing to hear the desperate, needy, and plaintive tone of her voice as it rose and fell with every suggestion she made, and the rejection he rebutted with.

 

The screech she released when he continued to disregard her wishes that he leave Justin, issuing threats and warnings before she left, made her cringe. She seemed to have been channeling her inner-Michael. But what really brought it all home for her, was the message following her epic temper tantrum at the corporate office of Kinnetik:

 

"Lindsay, I fucking quit! I have tried to be there for you, to understand you, to stick by you, to love you despite the fact that you are a selfish, self-absorbed shrew. I couldn't believe that you said all those things in Brian's office, at first. But the longer I thought about it, the more I heard your voice speaking the hateful words. There was just no way I could deny what I knew deep within my heart, any longer. You are a fucking bitch, Lindsay, and I hope to God that you die alone! I wouldn't wish YOU on my worst enemy. Loving you is like a fucking plague- so easy to contract, but so hard to get rid of! I've been trying to figure out why I stayed with you all this time, and the only reason I could come up with is fear of being alone.

"Well, listening to you spout your wants at someone who would NEVER want you has freed me of that particular fear. You are such a toxic bitch! Just to be clear, you and I are over. You have twenty-four hours to remove your shit from MY house. Leave my car, which used to be your car, but I PAID FOR, and put the house and car keys in MY mailbox. Anything not removed will be donated to whatever charity I choose.

All of my things are already locked up, so don't even think you can ruin anything of mine out of spite. Also, there are cameras all around now, so anything that you manage to do, like commit vandalism for example, will be caught on tape and believe me sweetheart, I have no qualms about having your sour ass thrown in jail. Perhaps Michael has an extra bed for you wherever he is staying. I hope so for your sake, but as for me, there is no longer any room in my life for you. Good Luck, Lindsay. I really do wish you well, but more importantly, I wish you the hell away from me!"

 

The tape cut off, even as Lindsay sat there in stunned shock. Melanie was kicking her out?! Melanie was kicking her out?!!! No fucking way, except that it really was fucking true. Lindsay's name wasn't on anything that mattered- not the house, the cars, or the bank accounts with the most money in them. All of the bills were in Mel's name since Lindsay's credit was as bad as Michael's, a testament of misspent youth and lack of responsibility. She was well and truly fucked. What the hell am I going to do?

 

She looked around at her meager belongings, boxed up in a corner. She hadn't even noticed them when she walked into the living room to use the phone. She remembered the first time she had seen this house, back when she was starry eyed enough to believe she and Melanie could be happy and successful together. She talked Melanie into buying it, and had planned to clean up her credit so that Mel could add her name to the mortgage at a later date. Unfortunately for Lindsay, there was always just one more thing she needed to have, something that in retrospect, she hadn't needed at all; something she would now always regret buying, since in essence it was costing her a home of her own.

 

Mel tried to tell her many times over the years that instead of concentrating on what she wanted, to focus and begin working for what she needed. Those lessons had never been more prevalent than they were now as Lindsay sat staring at the boxes. While Mel was able to have her dream career- even though she didn't make a lot- Lindsay was left without a job or home. She had depended on Mel to take care of everything, the way she always expected Brian to. Brian... The man she had once considered her best friend and confidante, had betrayed her in the worst possible way.

 

There was no way Mel would have known what was said within the confines of Kinnetik offices, if Brian hadn't told her. But no! He didn't only tell her, did he? He recorded the conversation and sent it to Melanie. He owed her an explanation!

 

How dare he do this to her?! This untenable situation was all HIS fault... his and his hustler's!

 

Well Lindsay didn't know what she was going to do, but she would get even. She would get even with all of them! And they would rue the day they ever decided to cross Lindsay Peterson. Fanciful notions of revenge flittered through her mind at such a rapid pace that she almost missed the sound of the doorbell ringing. "Hello. May I help you?"

 

"Yes, I'd like to speak to Lindsay Peterson please," the stranger spoke to her, eyeing her critically for a reason which made her self-conscious.

 

"I'm Detective Carl Horvath with the Pittsburgh P.D. Ms Peterson. I need you to come down to the station,"

 

"What is this about, Detective?" The warning bells in Lindsay's head begin to sound immediately, telling her that this was not a social call.

 

"We'd just like to ask you a few questions in regards to an unlawful entry accusation being made against you,"

 

"Really? Who would say such a thing about me? Unlawful entry? Isn't that like breaking and entering?" She'd watched enough crime shows with Melanie to know that.

 

"It is. But the term also has a much broader use in this case,"

 

"Oh? How so?" Lindsay was stalling for time. She knew exactly what the detective was implying, but she was determined to make him spell it out.

 

"In this case, the term also covers gaining entry to a home or business under false pretenses."

 

"Well then, I've done no such thing,"

 

"We have proof that states otherwise, Ms Peterson. But this is a simple matter which can be cleared up at the station," It was then that Lindsay noticed the two officers behind him. "I don't want to arrest you, but I will if I must,"

 

By the implacable look in the blue eyes regarding her, Lindsay inwardly sighed, resigning herself to what had to happen. "Fine. Let me just grab my purse and cell phone,"

 

"No problem. Officer Rodriguez will accompany you. The sooner we get our questions answered, the sooner you can return to your... packing?"

 

"Y-yes. My partner and I are separating. I'm moving out," Lindsay's eyes teared up. She was grateful for learning to cry on demand years ago. It was her hope that he would just go away and leave her in peace.

 

"Sorry to hear that. It's always difficult when a relationship ends. So let's just get this inquiry done, so you can continue closing this chapter of your life,"

 

Rats! Fucking insensitive cop! Lindsay thought to herself, even as she turned into the house to retrieve her things. The female officer Horvath brought with him was hot on her heels as she treaded to the kitchen. Taking a final look around at the damage, it dawned on her what Melanie had said about her things being all packed away. Lindsay's eyes narrowed as she continued to regard the former antique cabinet which once held all their heirloom pieces, china and glassware. Bending to pick up on of the shards within rubble, Lindsay nearly screamed when she saw her family's crest elegantly scrawled in silver on what was supposed to be an onyx plate.

 

Anger radiated from her as she stood up. But remembering that there was a woman with a gun standing awfully close behind her, Lindsay schooled her features to appear serene when inside she felt anything but. Once outside, Officer Rodriguez and her partner, introduced to Lindsay as Officer Llewelyn, escorted her to the back of the patrol car while the detective got inside a dark sedan parked in front of it. Looking back once more at the house she shared with Melanie, she vowed once again to get back at the she-bitch. After this ridiculous questioning was over, she would ask about filing charges against Melanie for vandalism and seek restitution for every glass, cup and plate the bitch broke.

 

She would make sure that if she had to be broke, busted, and disgusted, than Melanie Marcus would be as well. But first she had to get through this. If she was going to try to find another job, she knew she could not have a criminal record, especially within her fields of Art History and Education. This shit was a fucking liability! As soon as she was cleared, she would definitely be hiring and lawyer and issuing a few civil lawsuits of her own.

 

And she would start with Brian fucking Kinney, using Alienation of Affection as grounds. She laughed quietly to herself. That would chap Blondie's ass but good. Brian ruined her relationship with Melanie, so it was only turnabout. All's fair in love and war... and Lindsay is determined to win the war!

 

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*   

 

Brian and Justin pulled up to the loft to see Jen and Harriet unloading bags and hurried to help the women. Parked in front of Jen's car was a van from a boutique baby store. Loaded down with bags they all headed inside to see two men assembling cribs in Justin's apartment. They also noticed that one of the other apartments was open. Looking inside they saw boxes and bags from the same boutique.

 

Before they could ask anything Jen spoke up, "We are only having the cribs assembled for now. I checked and found two listings, that met all of the requirements you are asking for. If you would like we can go see them now. Both homes are empty and move-in ready, so if you like either one everything can just be moved there. Oh and here is your credit card, Brian. There are no receipts because these are gifts from Harriet and me."

 

"Jen, we can't let ..." Brian started to say, only to be stopped by Jen's raised hand.

 

"Brian, they are my grandchildren. And if I want to spoil them, please let me," Jen stated pleadingly.

 

"And I don't know how long it will be before I get grandbabies, so I want to be able to spoil them, too," Harriet chimed in, smiling sweetly.

 

Brian and Justin just looked at each other, shrugged and went to hug their babies' grandmothers.

 

"Thank you, both. Mom, if we could go see the houses now, that would be great. We are due to pick the babies up in about four hours."

 

"I'll stay here and get things set up for the babies. The clothes and blankets need to be washed before they are used. I can do that. Do you have an empty drawer, where I could put their things for now?" Harriet asked.

 

Justin showed her where everything she would need was located, before he, Brian, and Jen left to see the properties.

 

The first house, while it had all the things they wanted, just didn't give them the right ‘feeling'. But when they pulled up to the second house, both men got a very warm, happy feeling. Looking at each other, they knew that if it had what they needed inside, they were home.

 

Stepping inside, the house had been beautifully maintained. The hardwood floors gleamed, the rooms were huge and clean. The living room had a beautiful fireplace and mantle. Walking into the kitchen, Justin knew this is where he wanted to be. Everything about the kitchen showed it was designed for someone who loved to cook. Justin walked around the space, touching everything and checking the cabinets and drawers, the beautiful appliances, and the view of the yard beyond the french doors. Brian gently reminded him that they should check out the rest of the house, before they had to go get their children.

 

Upstairs, there were five bedrooms, in addition to the master suite. Two of the bedrooms had a bathroom between them, while the others all had small ensuites. The master suite included a sitting room, a room-sized walk-in closet, and another attached room that could be used as a nursery or a dressing room. The master bathroom was huge and included a jetted tub and a separate large shower with a bench seat. There was also a beautiful balcony, overlooking the yard.

 

Jen saw the looks on the faces of her son and his fiance, and left them the paperwork to look over while she looked around. Both men knew that this is where they wanted to raise their children. A few minutes later, Jen came back in the room after calling the owners of the house. She had called to tell them that they may have a buyer; that her son and almost son-in-law were very interested in the house for themselves, and their two new children. The men, who owned the house and had always wanted to have children were so happy for Jen that her son and his fiance had given her grandchildren and were able to get married that they told her to cut the price in half if they wanted the house.

 

Jen quickly went to tell Brian and Justin about the new offer. She saw them holding each other on the balcony and told them about the offer.

 

"Why would they do that? We can afford the house at the original price, Jen."

 

"Because they are both very happy that you can be married, and that there will be children in the house. When they first bought this house, it was with the hope that they would be able to have children and raise them here. They always hoped that attitudes would change and gay men would be seen as viable parents, and not as pedophiles. So what do you say, is this where you are going to raise my grandchildren?"

 

Looking at each other, the men smiled and turned to face Jen. "We'll take it," they announced together. A week later, all the paperwork was finished and the new family was getting packed and ready to move into their beautiful new home.

 

Once they were settled in their house, Brian and Justin decided to hire someone to help out with the babies while they were not sleeping through the night, and until they could get the daycare fully set up at Kinnetik. They put ads in the local gay papers, not wanting to have to deal with homophobes. Two days later they had interviews set up with four seemingly promising candidates. Two were older women, one was a female college student and the fourth was a man who had recently graduated college. Brian and Justin decided that they wanted to conduct the interviews together. They would both need to be comfortable with whomever they chose to care for the children, for as long as they needed someone. 

 

They were having breakfast before the first interview, and discussing the questions they wanted to ask. The interviews would be conducted in the living room, where they had set up the bassinet to hold the babies. Having the babies there would give them an idea of how the potential nannies reacted to the children. After all, this person would be left alone with them without supervision. They didn't want any mishaps.

 

The first woman arrived right on time. She was a very sweet, grandmotherly type. She answered all the questions well, but when Christian cried she made no move to even look at him. Brian and Justin thanked her and told her they would be in touch. Once she was gone, Justin picked up his son and held him.

 

"Well, that one is out," Brian said shaking his head.

 

Twenty minutes later the second woman rang the bell. Looking into the bassinet, she remarked, "Are they boys or girls?"

 

"One of each. Why?" Justin asked in return.

 

"Well then, why are they in the same bed? That's disgusting!" she answered.

 

"And this interview is over. GOODBYE," Brian said, opening the door and wishing he could throw her out bodily.

 

Looking at Justin standing there with his mouth open and shaking his head, Brian walked over and wrapped his arms around the smaller man. "Don't worry. Not everyone is that stupid," Brian told his lover.

 

They had time to relax and talk before the next interview. Shari was a college student and seemed to be enamored with Brian. She answered everything he asked, but pretty much ignored Justin's presence. She also barely glanced at the babies.

 

After she was gone, Justin remarked, "Well if we needed a babysitter for you, she'd be great. You'd get constant attention."

 

"Yeah. Not sure if she even noticed the kids, or that we are a couple. Hell, I'm not sure if she noticed you at all," Brian answered, smirking.

 

They were both laughing when the doorbell rang again. Opening the door they saw a cute, clean cut, preppy-looking blond.

 

"Hi, I'm Blake," The young man said extending his hand.

 

Shaking the proffered hand Justin answered, "I'm Justin Taylor, and this is my fiance, Brian Kinney,"

 

Shaking the young man's hand, Brian remarked, "You look familiar. Do you go to Babylon?"

 

"Not anymore. I used to go there quite often though. I stopped going there a little over two years ago. I was an addict. I hit bottom and went into rehab. I've been clean and sober for two years. I just graduated college with a Double Masters, in Social Work and Psychology. I love kids, and haven't been able to find a job in anything I'm trained for. So when I saw your ad in Pittsburgh OUT, I decided to apply. I was the oldest of five and loved to help out with the younger ones," Blake answered, handing them a letter from his rehab counselor, not wanting to hide anything about his past. When he finished speaking, Tiffany started crying. Looking at Justin, Blake asked, "May I?" Justin nodded, and Blake picked up the baby. She immediately quieted, and snuggled into his arms.

 

Standing up, Brian said, "Will you excuse us for a minute?" as he took Justin's hand, pulling him into the next room.

 

"What do you think, Azure? Tiffany never quiets that fast for anyone,"

 

"Irish, as you have shown me, a person's past is just that, their past. Babies can sense goodness in a person. I say we've found our manny,"

 

"What the hell is a manny?"

 

"A male nanny, duh,"

 

Walking back into the room, they saw Blake rocking Tiffany and softly singing to her. "Blake, if you want the job, it's yours. Our daughter never calms that fast for anyone, and they say babies are great judges of character," Justin said, smiling.

 

"Thank you, Mr Taylor, and Mr Kinney. I promise, you won't be sorry,"

 

"It's Justin and Brian. Mr Taylor and Mr Kinney are, and were homophobic assholes and that's not us," Brian commented.

 

"And Blake, you're okay with this being a live-in job?" Justin asked.

 

"That's perfect. I've been living on my brother's couch since I graduated. He and his roommate are great but they tend to get a little loud with their girlfriends and well... ick,"

 

"Say no more. I'd like to be able to get it up again," Brian mock-shuddered before asking, "Do you need something bigger than your car to bring whatever you have? Your room here is fully furnished, unless you have something you'd rather bring. You are welcome to check out the room and we can get anything else you need. We can do that now. Your room connects to the babies'. Our room is around at the other end of the hallway. Up till now, they have been staying in a bassinet in our room. It was easier than running to the other side every time they cried," He led Blake, who had relinquished Tiffany to Justin, up to the second floor to see his room.

 

Opening the door to what would be his room, Blake looked around. "Wow, This is twice the size of the room I shared with two others in the dorms,"

 

"Well, look around and make a list of anything else you will need and we can get it for you right away. We want you to be comfortable here. I'll leave you to do that. Come down when you are ready, and we'll do what's needed to get you settled," Brian told him, leaving to join Justin when he heard Christian starting to cry.

 

Brian walked into the living room to see Justin trying to feed both babies at once and not doing very well. Just as he started to take one of the bottles, Blake came into the room.

 

"Let me do this?" he asked them. At their nods, he kicks off his shoes, and he curls up in the corner of the couch. Setting the babies with their feet together and their heads on his knees, he then took a bottle in each hand. Both kids started happily drinking as he rocked them with his legs as they are. "When they're this small, it's easier to do it this way. No one has to wait. And by moving them while they eat, gas bubbles don't get stuck as easily,"

 

"Damn, you really are good at this. I would never have thought of doing that. Would you like us to get an extra wide chair or love seat for the nursery to make feeding time easier?" Justin asked, awed by the way Blake seemed so at ease with taking care of the babies.

 

"That would be great. With two of them, it's kind of hard to feed them together in a rocking chair."

 

Brian figured this would be a good time to work out a schedule for Blake. They certainly didn't expect him to work 24/7. Brian and Justin had discussed this earlier and had pretty much figured it out, but wanted to go over with Blake what they needed. While Justin put together some snacks and drinks, Brian started speaking with Blake.

 

"Blake, we need to work out a schedule with you. Are there any definite times you need to be off?"

 

"Well, either Friday or Saturday evening would be good. I've been seeing someone and would like to be able to go out and dance and hang out with him and his friends. He's an accountant for an advertising firm. I'm trying to get him to loosen up and relax a little,"

 

As Justin came back in the room, he heard Brian laugh. "You're dating Theodore? So I guess you are what has put that relaxed smile on his face lately,"

 

"You know Ted?" Blake asked, shocked.

 

"Justin and I own Kinnetik. Ted works for us. Small world... well, seeing as we have known your boyfriend for quite a while, if he wants to hang out with you here, that would be fine. Especially since he's Christian's godfather. I wonder why he didn't tell us you were applying for the job,"

 

"I didn't tell him where, just that I had an interview. I had no idea he knew you. I figured if I got it, I would take him out to dinner and tell him then," Blake answered.

 

"I have an idea. Blake, give Justin your car keys. Justin, put Blake's car in the garage. Now everyone be quiet," Brian said as he took out his phone. "Theodore, I need a favor. I need you to bring the Brown Athletics file out to the house for me. Something's come up, and I need it right away. And bring it yourself, I may need you here to go over some things... Okay, see you soon," Brian smirked as he hung up the phone.  

 

"Brian, what are you up to?" Justin asked.

 

"You know I like to keep him on his toes. I just figured I'd give him a happy surprise," The older man said with a smile.

 

Justin looked at Blake and shook his head, "You'll get used to him,"

 

A few minutes later, the doorbell rang and Justin got up to open it, "Come on in, Ted. Brian's in the living room, instructing the new nanny," Justin told him as he led him into the room.

 

"I brought the file, Brian, is there a prob.... Blake, what are you doing here?"

 

"Surprise, Theodore! You are apparently dating our nanny," Brian said, smirking. "And you two have reservations for 8 o'clock tonight at Hyeholde Restaurant, on us,"

 

"Thank you both, that is really nice of you," Blake said, thrilled that he'd answered the ad in the paper.

 

"It was worth it, just to see Ted relax and smile like that. Oh, and Ted, is that a twinkle in your eyes? Brian, you never told me Ted has such expressive eyes like that," Justin gushes.

 

Brian answered gruffly, "Never bothered to look that closely. It must be all that elusive twink power floating around here lately,"

 

Justin and Blake laughed, even as both Ted and Brian blushed- even if the latter would never admit to such a thing. "Don't worry, Irish, your secret vice will remain safe. Besides you and Ted have the novelty of having the Wonder Twinks under the same roof."

 

"The Wonder Twinks?" Ted asked bemusedly.

 

"Surely you've both heard of the Wonder Twins from Super Friends? They were a part of the Justice League. I think you were around in the stone ages, when it was still on television and not in the rerun status. Besides, I would be surprised that you wouldn't have had them crammed down your throat since you both had been friends with ‘He Who Shall Not Be Named' for any number of years before we two fabulous twinks came along to rescue you," Justin said, with a twinkle of his own.

 

Blake had caught on to the diatribe and began to laugh. "Well in that case Justin, Wonder Twink Powers ACTIVATE!! Here to save our men from too much work and not enough play!"

 

"If that's the case, then Azure, you are falling down on your job," Brian said, pulling his own Wonder Twink to him. "Ted, once Tiffany and Christian finish getting acquainted with Blake, feel free to show Blake around. I'm sure you two have lots to talk about. Also, I want him covered under the Kinnetik Executive package since that will give him the same benefits package as you have, but under his own steam. If he's anything like his Wonder Twin over here, independence is extremely important. And as I can attest, happy wife- happy life,"

 

"Fuck you, Brian, I'm not the wife," Justin said as he tried to move away from the brunet.

 

"Oh I don't know about that, Azure. You cook like a gourmet chef, take care of me better than anyone has in my life, and have given me two amazing, beautiful children. If I were a hetero- and thank fuck I am NOT- you would have made me an excellent wife. So..."

 

"Nice recovery, Boss," Ted snickered as he watched the blond's face go from thundercloud to sunshine, proving that Brian Kinney could sell anything to anyone, including himself.

 

"Well, we'll see who's going to get fucked right now..." Justin smirked as he began to drag Brian caveman style to the stairs.

 

Ted laughed aloud. "Get used to it, Blake. There's never a dull moment around those two. Never a dull moment indeed,"