- Text Size +

 

 

CHAPTER 12

 

Roy Russo sat there in silence and deep thought, after hanging up the phone on a most distressing phone call. An associate of his was calling in a favor. Judge Russo had offered the associate almost everything he could think of at the time, in order that the debt be repaid and he could move on with his life. With this being an election year, he wasn't thrilled that the thought of that long ago favor could possibly surface, and ultimately bite him in the ass.

 

"What's the problem, Roy?"

 

He jumped a little, just remembering the presence of his friend and closest confidant within the confines of his chambers. Jamison Alexander had been Roy's best friend since they were both vying for the top spot within Harvard Law School's graduating class. Their friendship had grown during the years since graduation, spanning decades of easy camaraderie and companionable competition. In the years since Roy's wife died and Jamie's wife divorced him while she was going through uterine cancer treatments, they had only grown closer. Jamie's divorce was the very reason that he had asked a certain favor from the associate, who was now calling in.

 

"Hypothetically Jamie, what if you were responsible for a young man's ostracization at the request of an asshole, for the sole purpose of making the young man's life hell?"

 

"I would do whatever I could to make it right. But then, you know that, Roy."

 

"But if... would you still do it if it could cost you your position on the bench?"

 

Roy watched as Jamie rubbed his chin, thoughtfully. He knew how much the other man loved the law; they both did. But there was a certain amount of morality one had to have to stick to the law, without injecting personal opinions or personal gain into the mix. Jamison was one of those people that Roy wished he could be, especially now.

 

"Why don't you just tell me what's going on? In reference to your question, you and I both know I have no basis for comparison, since people know not to tempt me that way. Right or wrong, the law is often open to interpretation, so it's often best to just stick to the text written, even if you personally don't agree with it. So why do you think your bench seat is about to be threatened?"

 

Roy swallowed hard. He knew he needed to tell Jamie what he did, even if it ruined the many years of friendship between them. He wished he'd had the balls to tell Taylor ‘no' years ago, because if he had, he wouldn't be in this messy situation now. Taking a deep inhale and releasing it just as quickly, Roy began to tell his deepest secret. "A few years ago, around the time that Jocelyn divorced you, I needed a favor from Craig Taylor,"

 

"That asshat? Roy, what was so important that you would ask something of him? Why not ask me? You know I would have helped you,"

 

"I couldn't... not that time, Jamie, since it involved you," Roy released another breath before continuing. "Jocelyn had come to me, and asked me to help her leave you,"

 

Jamie looked closely at Roy. He could see the truth of the matter written in the brown eyes of the man he considered his best friend. Although he was tempted to punch the fuck out of him, Jamie decided that he would hear Roy's reasoning before it came to that. But he was still sorely tempted. "Why did she come to you? And why would you help her to break my heart?"

 

"I know it was selfish, Jamie. I know that! But she wanted to leave. Jocelyn loved you- loves you still- but she knew you were suffering. She was tired of having to fight the disease. But she was also tired of watching you run yourself ragged, trying to do your job and take care of her. She asked me to help her, and I didn't have the heart to tell her no, since I was watching you both suffer. The favor I asked of Taylor helped to get you to let her go,"

 

"The ‘friend' in Europe?"

 

"Craig's brother. He's a decent man, and it was easier to let you believe that they were having an affair. They didn't become involved until we knew for sure that she was in remission. He was sterile, and with uterine cancer, she knew she would never be able to give you children. It's why I agreed to help her, Jamie. She only wanted your happiness, even if it meant that you had to be miserable for a time to achieve it. Anyway, Craig arranged for Jocelyn to go to Harrison in Amsterdam as soon as she filed the papers and said goodbye to you. I pushed the papers through which is why the divorce was granted so quickly. When I tried to give him the money, he asked me for two favors: one to perform immediately and one to be determined at a later date. I never would have agreed if I had known what he had in mind from the onset."

 

"What was the original favor?"

 

"At the time, he was still married to Jenn. He wanted papers filed immediately, along with papers forged, to make sure that his son was left destitute, after finding out that the young man was gay. Strangely, and although I don't agree with Justin Taylor's preference, I still couldn't understand how Craig could do that to his son. But that wasn't the only fish he was trying to fry. Catherine, his mistress at the time, was pushing for Craig to divorce Jennifer and to have her daughter marry a young man within the upper echelons of our world,"

 

Jamie held up his hand. "I know the entire story of Justin Taylor, and all of Craig Taylor's machinations,"

 

"What? How?" Roy asked, shocked that Jamison would know all of the details, when he himself didn't know everything.

 

"Aside from hearsay and the current gossip at the club, I've met the young woman in question. Laura and I have decided to take things slow, but we really like each other,"

 

"You don't think she's using you for personal gain? You do know there is a Defamation of Character lawsuit pending against her, don't you?"

 

"Yeah I know, and I also know why. Laura, courtesy of Craig and Catherine, has some serious self-esteem issues,"

 

"And some narcissistic psychological issues and some control freak tendencies..."

 

"Yeah, although I disagree on the narcissistic psych issues, Roy. The young woman is deeply scarred. Like I said, we've been talking for awhile; we were friends even while she was fucking Harlen on a regular basis. Her apparent self-centeredness stems from a facade she wears to keep from being hurt further. She learned early that the best way to keep from being hurt is to strike first,"

 

"But why strike out at Justin Taylor? That young man is as much a victim as Laura purports to be,"

 

Jamie nodded. "That's true. But watching him rise out of the gutter where his father put him to become a major player within Kinnetik, and so quickly, burned Laura's ass. It was like she couldn't get a break from Justin. At home, she had to hear of how smart he was and how intelligent he was; that he would have been perfect, if he didn't like dick as much as she did. Then at Harlen's house, she would hear that the only thing she's good for is what's between her legs, and how if she wanted to be someone within the community, she had better learn to play the game of fuck or be fucked. So, whereas she was being used for her mother's gain, Laura was also looking for a way out of Craig's clutches,"

 

"But did she have to be a bitch and continually burn bridges while doing that?"

 

"It was a reaction to how everyone treated her, especially after Jennifer Taylor's divorce. I'm not sure if you know it or not, but Justin kept a journal, which made it possible for Jennifer to file the papers against Craig first. So what exactly was the second favor that Craig asked you for in exchange for Jocelyn's defection?"

 

"To plant certain rumors, and prepare papers for the Chanders' to read in reference to Glenn Bartier,"

 

Jamie closed his eyes. How could his friend be so idiotic? This was not the man who stood for justice. "Why?"

 

"What do you mean?"

 

"Why did you agree to it after you found out what Taylor was planning?"

 

"He was threatening to tell you everything. You were already in a bad way, drinking too much and a host of other things while you mourned the demise of your marriage. Jamie, I couldn't add to that, so I did what I thought was best at the time,"

 

"So now what is the fucker asking you to do?"

 

"Justin has recently become a father of two,"

 

"What? How? I thought he was gay,"

 

"He is, and I don't have all the particulars. But what I do know is that Craig wants custody of the children. I think he said their names are Tiffany and Christian. Well apparently, Justin and his partner Brian Kinney, appeared in some newspaper's vital statistics section. According to Craig, someone sent him a newspaper clipping, showing the couple smiling wide for the camera, while holding the children. Craig wants to remove that smile from Justin, and then he plans to keep trying to ruin Kinnetik's reputation,"

 

Jamison could feel his fury rising at Craig Taylor's callousness in reference to his son. He would have given his arm to be able to have children, let alone a son to carry his legacy into the next generation. Yet, Craig Taylor took his son for granted, and not only that, but desired to ruin him, all because he didn't like women sexually. It was beyond ridiculous! "Don't help him, Roy,"

 

"Jamie, I don't think I have much choice in the matter. He's threatening to produce all the evidence of our alliance to the board, if I don't comply with his wishes,"

 

"Roy, don't do it! You're not only allowing him to ruin your career, but his son's life, too! I suspect Craig is jealous of Justin's success. Did you know that in just under three years, Kinnetik has become a multi-million dollar company while Taylor Electronics is barely scraping by? Not only that, but Jennifer's real estate company has also reached the million mark, while he is bordering on bankruptcy. Everyone he threw away and everything he took for granted or tried to destroy is flourishing without him and in spite of all of the hindrances he's been trying to throw their way. Don't allow him to destroy you, too! I think you should talk to Laura. I think she might be able to give you a bit more insight into the vindictive mind of Craig Taylor,"

 

Roy was quiet for a time, before agreeing to meet with the former mistress of so many within their circle. "Let me know when she's available,"

 

Jamie rose from his seat. "I will, but it probably won't be until tomorrow evening. I'm due in court early tomorrow for the Peterson case,"

 

"Peterson? As in Ron's daughter?"

 

"One of them. The one that is generally spoiled and unhinged. I don't have all of the information yet, but her partner is going to be in her own brand of deep shit,"

 

"The lawyer right?"

 

"One and the same. See, Roy? You're not the only one who crossed the line of the law when faced between morality and love. Remember that, okay? And for the record, I forgive you,"

 

Jamie left Judge Russo's chambers, but not before he noticed a tear slip out of the corner of his friend's eye. He wouldn't let the machinations of cunty Craig Taylor strip him and Roy of a forty year friendship. And he wouldn't let anyone connected to Taylor- directly or indirectly- get away with hurting Justin Taylor again. It was time that Judge Jamison Alexander start blurring a few lines of his own...

 

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

 

"Marry me,"

 

Daphne looked up from her Business Administration textbook at the sound of Glenn's voice. The look on his face as he sat in the chair opposite her, told her that whatever it was he said was important. Although, she didn't register the words. "What did you say?"

 

Glenn took a deep breath. The words had just slipped out when he'd spoken, just a brief moment ago. He was tempted to take them back, but they had just felt... right. Daphne was bent over her book, her elegant eyebrow furrowed in concentration on a lesson. He was helping her to study since he'd already taken the course, graduating at the top of his class so that he could take over the family business. He'd given her a particularly difficult scenario to work out, and she was researching every possible outcome.

 

When she had decided to pursue her degree in the Accelerated Program at Carnegie alongside Justin, he and Brian were concerned at first. Justin and Daphne were still holding high powered positions within Kinnetik, so Brian and Glenn thought that the course load and full work schedule would be too much of a strain. But the best friends had taken to the challenges like a ducks take to water. Maintaining a perfect GPA, while effortlessly balancing work and family obligations, made it clear that Daphne and Justin were not only overachievers, but had a quiet determination about them and strong work ethic that couldn't be beat or put under subjection. Since most of the coursework was done online, Daphne and Justin could work at their own pace, but they were determined to finish completely within three years instead of the customary five years it normally took.

 

Also fortunate was that their employment with Kinnetik counted towards their degrees. To that end, Brian and Glenn allowed them to have their heads, working out scheduling where they would still have enough time to sleep and unwind when they needed to. When Blake wasn't on duty, Brian and Glenn traded off with Christian and Tiffany, so that Justin wouldn't worry so much or feel like he was slighting the children in favor of success. It also helped to have a few doting grandmothers named Debbie, Harriet, and Jennifer, and amazing aunts named Molly and Roxanne, and an uncle named Daniel who spoiled them mercilessly when Brian and Glenn needed some ‘special handling' of their own from their partners. So Glenn knew once the words passed his lips that the time was right, and he wouldn't take the words back even if he wanted to... which he didn't.

 

"Marry me, Daphne?"

 

She watched the usually self-assured man fidget under her intense scrutiny. There wasn't a doubt in her mind that she was going to say yes. She loved Glenn- had always loved him- and had known that they would've taken this step before, but things went to hell because of the machinations of his father and Craig Taylor. She remained silent for a time, before he started speaking again.

 

"I know that right now our plates are so full. I mean, you've just started school and you're working so hard at Kinnetik. It doesn't have to be today or tomorrow; next month, next week, or next year. But please, Daph... Angel... love of my life and Mistress of my heart... Marry me?"

 

She could feel the tears welling behind her eyes as she watched him rush through the proposal, as if he was unable to stop the words from tumbling out from the lips she'd kissed what seemed like a million times and would never tire of doing so. She had fallen in love with Glenn that long ago day, when she was eight years old and had fallen off her bike in front of him. He was the only one on the playground, besides Justin, who helped her up instead of laughing. Their friendship had grown from that moment. When she thought back, there always seemed to be an air of inevitability about her fate with him.

 

"Yes." The slow smile which brightened his features was everything she could have hoped for. Glenn was her past, her present, and her future- one she would always be grateful for and never willingly take for granted again. "I don't want to wait though,"

 

"But... right now there is so much going on, Daph. There's no rush,"

 

"I know that, but I've already lost you once because of the idiocy of others,"

 

"You won't lose me again. I promise. You have to trust me, Daph,"

 

"I do, Glenn. But this isn't about them. It's about me locking down and protecting what's mine. And you are mine, Glenn Anderson Bartier. You always have been. It would be my honor to be your wife tomorrow,"

 

Glenn laughed. "As much as I would love for it to be tomorrow, I would not like Roxanne coming after me for whisking her baby off for a shotgun wedding in Vegas. Meat cleavers are not a fashion accessory, and neither are handcuffs. And I doubt your mom would love the color orange as much as Emmett,"

 

Daphne snickered, acknowledging the truth of Glenn's words. "Fine, next month at the latest. I don't want a society wedding, Glenn. Too much of my life- of our lives- have been public fodder for far too long. If I could, it would just be us, along with Brian and Justin, as witnesses. But something small and elegant with those of our nearest and dearest is enough for me,"

 

"How about a few months out? After the semester is over and just before the busy season at Kinnetik for the holiday rush. We could fly off somewhere- make it a destination wedding. I have a feeling that we will all need the break after the drama. Mark called, and Lindsay's officially been booked and taken into custody. After Mark delivered the transcript of the recording from Lindsay's impromptu meeting in Brian's office the other morning, Melanie had gone to them and admitted the situation surrounding Tiffany and Christian. Of course, there is going to be an evidentiary hearing regarding her own involvement, one that could result in her being disbarred. The only saving grace Melanie may have is that she threatened Brian with the exposure of the fact that Justin topped him, which is a moot point considering Brian and Justin are monogamous and the kids are clearly Justin's. Lindsay's threats though, and attempted extortion included Brian's financial status, which makes it a federal crime."

 

"Holy shit! Does Justin know?"

 

"I think he does by now, since Carl was the arresting officer. But back to our upcoming wedding..." They both smiled at that. "Where do we want to go?"

 

"Let's think about it later, but first... well I think we should celebrate, don't you?" Daphne licked her lips, letting her eyes caress the length of Glenn's body not hidden by the desk between them.

 

Glenn felt the slow methodical actions, as if she had actually touched him. The tightening of his jeans due to his growing erection was undeniable. Daphne had always had that effect on him. He watched as she brought her left hand up to her hair to loosen the clip pinning her luxurious locks, even as her right began to undo the sleeveless button-down shirt she favored within the confines of the condo. As she shook her hair out, one wayward curl slipped down to mold itself around the curve of her breast. Glenn pushed up from his own chair in that instant, unreasonably jealous of that tempting tendril teasing the supple flesh beneath it. Without a word, Glenn moved around the furniture to grab ahold of the woman he loved.

 

It was definitely time to get that private party started...

 

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

 

Lindsay sat behind the glass partition, alongside other criminals. She refused to think of herself as one of those people. What she did couldn't possibly be considered unlawful entry, after all, she went in via the replacement maid. It wasn't her fault that the woman didn't know that Lindsay wasn't allowed in; Brian should have told her. This should be over soon and then she would deal with Brian, his boytoy, and Melanie.

 

Melanie... That BITCH! As soon as she was free, Lindsay would deal with her. She told the court-appointed schmuck the State hired that if she was being made to go to jail, then Melanie should too, since she knew of Lindsay's plans. She was still fuming that he wouldn't listen to her and arrest Melanie.

 

{Flashback to Lindsay's first full day in police custody}

 

"Did she try to talk you out of it? Was she with you when you entered the apartment?" he'd asked her.


"Yes, Melanie said that she didn't think it was a good idea. But after I acquired the sperm, she spread-eagled just as I did. So why shouldn't she be held responsible?"


"Ms Peterson, Ms Marcus is the one who came to the police, so I have to tell you it looks favorably upon her. It shows, at least a degree of remorse- an emotion that you don't seem to possess,"


"Why should I have any remorse? I want my child, regardless of who the father is. Brian would still be taking care of us,"


"And you wonder why you are in this predicament and Ms Marcus isn't, Ms Peterson? It is my recommendation that you plead guilty, and accept the sentence. If you plead not guilty and this goes to trial, you will be looking at a lengthy jail sentence,"


"I don't see that I've done anything wrong, so I'm not accepting any plea. I love Brian- have always loved him- and would have considered it an honor to co-parent with him. The fact that he prefers that dumb blond over me is of no consequence,"


"It is because said ‘dumb blond' is the father of your child, and based on the evidence, you tried to use your position as Brian's friend to separate Mr Kinney and Mr Taylor, but you made one fatal error..."


"And what's that?" Lindsay sneered.


"You mentioned Mr Kinney's finances. That means your intention to have his child was not out of any romantic feelings, or even those of a platonic nature. It was cold and calculated, without thought or regard for Mr Kinney's feelings on the matter. In short Ms Peterson, not only did you unlawfully enter Mr Kinney's loft, but you did so with every intention of extorting money from him. You used your knowledge of Mr Kinney's troubled childhood to ensure that he would take care of you financially. So again, I advise you to plead out. Your chances of escaping this without a jail sentence is a little less than nil, even if some miracle occurs,"


"Let me talk to Brian. I'm sure that I can get him to drop the charges,"


He laughed at her and shook his head. There was always one who thought they were above the law, even when all of the evidence points to the contrary. "Even if you did manage to get him to drop the charges- which I assure you, he will not- it's no longer his decision. The state District Attorney office is involved, and let me assure you, they don't give two mother fucks about your motive for breaking the law. They care about winning cases and putting criminals, such as yourself, away for the maximum amount of time allowable under the law."


"You don't know what you're talking about!" Lindsay spat angrily. She couldn't believe the temerity of the man to lie to her like this.


"Believe whatever makes your heart feel lighter, Ms. Peterson. But keep in mind, I am on this side of the table with a legal degree while you're... well you're on that side of the table without one, and wearing handcuffs and prison orange. I will tell you this though, the judge you are going to face is a real ‘by the book' kind of guy. He will not be swayed by pleas and tears, but will rule based on cold hard facts and what can be proven. Based on the evidence, I would say to make yourself comfortable in that orange jumpsuit. You'll be wearing it for a long time." He left the small interview room with Lindsay still seated, handcuffed to her chair.

 

{End of flashback} 

 

"All rise!" The bailiff called out as Lindsay struggled to her feet behind the partition. "The Honorable Jamison Alexander is on the bench."

 

She had been instructed to keep her eyes on the judge, but Lindsay was never one to follow instructions she didn't feel applied to her. Her eyes narrowed as they scanned the crowd, committing faces she had known for a long time to memory. Debbie, Emmett, and Ted were all sitting with that traitorous bitch, Melanie. While directly in back of them, Brian sat with his arm draped over Justin's shoulder. She rolled her eyes, but then fixed them upon Brian, willing him to look her way.

 

Instead, he was turned fully towards Justin, speaking softly into the man's ear. She felt her ire grow as a blush crept up from Justin's neck to his settle upon his cheeks, his bright smile blinding in its intensity to any and all who dare to look upon it. She was working herself up into quite a lather, the anger she'd been carrying since that day in Brian's office about to erupt its full-blast. But it wasn't until she heard the warning in her ear from one of the attending officers, for her to face forward and cool her jets before she ended up in the hole, that Lindsay brought her overt antipathy for the young man under subjection. Settling the WASP mask of cool indifference over her face, she did as she was instructed, all the while counting the minutes until she was a free woman.

 

Brian would fucking hear her thoughts on his abandonment in favor of his little fun-sized fuckbuddy! They had been friends long before Justin fucking Taylor was even a blip on Brian's radar. How dare he abandon her like this?! He owed her an explanation! And she would see that she got it, and there would be no one to intervene this time!

 

"The State versus Lindsay Peterson," the bailiff called out.

 

Lindsay lumbered awkwardly to her feet, the ankle shackles not making for the easy mobility and glide she was used to. Instead her steps were measured yet clunky, the chain beating a staccato rhythm with every step she took.

 

"Mr. Brady, is your client prepared to enter her plea?"

 

"She is, Your Honor,"

 

"Does the state have anything to add?"

 

"Yes, Your Honor," Claire Fallon, the ADA on this case stated. "We request that bail be denied, as Ms Peterson is considered a flight risk. She is from a well-to-do family, and her former partner is an attorney of some note. According to the bank records that were subpoenaed, Ms Peterson has a substantial amount of money, which if allowed access to, could aid in her disappearance indefinitely, and well beyond the length of time for the statute of limitations on these charges under the law,"

 

"Lindsay Peterson," Judge Alexander looked her in the eye. "The charges against you are for Unlawful Entry into Mr Brian Kinney's residence at 6 Tremont Street apartment 4A and for an Extortion Attempt made after you had given birth to Christian Armani Taylor-Kinney. How do you plead?"

 

"Not guilty, Your Honor," Lindsay gasped, forcing the tears to come into her eyes.

 

Jamison looked at her, disdain clouding his eyes, which he wasn't even trying to hide. He knew Lindsay Peterson from the time he and Roy were young college men; knew the lessons she'd learned at her mother's knee like every other WASP Princess he'd ever known. He and Roy often used to joke about how learning to cry on command was part of the girls' etiquette curriculum the female students were required to attend in school. He was from that same WASP world as was she, so if Lindsay Peterson thought she was fooling anyone, it certainly wasn't him.

 

"You can feel free to stop the waterworks now, Ms Peterson. The evidence against you is as overwhelming as your performance is underwhelming. Trial date, for which I am the officiating judge, will be in two weeks from today. Please return the prisoner back to her cell; Bail is denied," He slammed his gavel down on the desk, signaling an end to Lindsay's hearing and called for the next case.

 

The gasps around the courtroom weren't only those coming from Lindsay, but from the other occupants as well. Although fair, no one in or out of the courtroom had ever heard Judge Jamison Alexander be so harsh in his speech. It was surprising because there seemed to be no empathy within him for the accused. Even while delivering sentences to hardened criminals, or even return offenders, there was always a level of compassion with which Judge Alexander meted out justice. But today, it was notably absent. It looked like it was going to be a long day in court.

 

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

 

At recess, an officer had come up to Melanie, advising that the judge wanted to see her in his chambers, along with Justin Taylor and Brian Kinney. All three were kind of confused by the order, but obeyed nonetheless. Arriving within the judge's chambers, Melanie heard the gasps from both of the men standing beside her.

 

"Laura? What the fuck are you doing in here?" Melanie heard Justin spew. In all the time she had known the young blond, she was always amazed at his poise and ability to keep his cool, even under the intense scrutiny and insults hurled by Lindsay.

 

"Justin, it's not what you're thinking..." the young blonde woman answered.

 

"Not what I'm thinking? Not what I'm thinking?! Well tell me Laura, what am I thinking right now?"

 

"That's enough, young man," Judge Alexander said. No one had heard him re-enter the room or the other man who was with him, who looked vaguely familiar to both Justin and Melanie. "Please, all of you have a seat. I'd like to introduce my colleague. This is Judge Roy Russo. Roy, I believe you know Laura Wright and Melanie Marcus, but have not formally been introduced to Justin Taylor."

 

"Taylor? As in Craig Taylor's son?"

 

"It's my unfortunate reality to be one and the same, I assure you," Justin said. The glib tone belied the abject truth of Justin's words, and they all knew it.

 

"Well, although I hate the circumstances in which we are meeting young man, it is most certainly an honor to meet you. I apologize for any role I played in allowing your father to denounce you, but it really was for a good cause,"

 

"Really? How could you say such a thing when Justin was allowed to be kicked out and maligned by his sperm donor, in exchange for position and power?" Brian, who had been silent up until that point, asked. His ire was even more apparent than his partner's.

 

"We'll get to that in moment. I assure you both that you will have your answers before you leave here today, but there are a few more things we need to address, including hearing Laura's side of things. I brought you in here so that we could go ahead and settle the Defamation of Character lawsuit as well as the one for Slander. Laura acknowledges what she did was wrong..."

 

"It was fucked up! Forgive my language, but wrong doesn't even begin to describe what she, her mother, and the man I once considered my father have done to me," Justin's voice cracked.

 

For Melanie's part, she sat there in silence, shocked at the display of high emotions from the usually calm and well-mannered Justin. Also affecting her in a profound way was Brian's responses and body language towards the younger man. "That explains why they are in here, but why am I exactly? I wasn't there for Michael and Lindsay's part in his DOC suit and most certainly not at Kinnetik when this... person tried to do damage to Justin. Admittedly, I've done him wrong while trying to hurt Brian. But that's different,"

 

"Yes it is, Ms. Marcus. But then again, it's not so much. What you've done to Mr. Kinney over the years has merit for his own suit, especially in terms of your constant character assassination, much like Craig Taylor's. In fact, Craig Taylor received much of the information he found out about Brian Kinney, Ms. Marcus, by way of information given from your own lips. Granted, you weren't privy to being overheard and recorded when you were out and about with Lindsay. But as you well know, as long as one of the two parties knows they are taping, anything recorded can be admissible in court," Roy explained.

 

"So then what do you want from me?" Melanie asked warily. She knew all of what the judge said was true. But how was she to know that both scolding her wife in public, and lamenting Brian's constant bad habit of breathing, would result in this kind of chastisement?

 

"Not so much what I want, as much as I want to tell you what is going to happen," Jamie told her, looking around the room at all of the occupants. "Although your license is in jeopardy because of your collusion with Lindsay Peterson, whether it is going to be suspended or permanently revoked is entirely up to you. Do I know that you were basically coerced into keeping the peace within your home? Sure, I do. But that doesn't excuse you from knowing of illegal activity which, as an officer of the court, you should have reported at the time it happened, instead of almost a year later and not out of decency, but reeking of spite and self-preservation.

Melanie, I won't lie and say that I am not disappointed in you. You were, and still are, a brilliant attorney. But you have managed to let that harridan change you into a vicious, backstabbing, underhanded, low-down, calculating cunt. But because you were only an accomplice- complicit or not- I have decided to handle this personally, as opposed to sending you to the review board. Since you employed tactics of emotional extortion when confronting Mr Kinney and Mr Taylor, I shall do the same of you.

"You will bear witness to Laura's tale, and you will have your license suspended for two years, which will be contingent upon you taking some courses in anger management and being demoted down to file clerk here within my office. You will vacate your partnership at your firm immediately, so that this will not become public knowledge. Should you decide that you do not want to do these things voluntarily, I'll wish you much success taking your chances with the review board where there is a very miniscule chance that you will not be disbarred. I'll warn you though, based on your testimony and admission of guilt to collusion with Lindsay, I doubt you will walk away with your job or even probation. No, they are going to jail you. Perhaps you can share a cell with your former lover,"

 

Melanie paled further and further as Jamison laid out the reality of her situation. In all honesty, she hadn't thought much about the repercussions to her career; only about winning against her nemesis, who really wasn't an enemy at all. All she could see was shutting Lindsay's mouth, and paying the bills so that she could stop feeling like a mack truck was crushing down on her every month. She just wanted a little bit of ease. But now, all of her passivity within her and Lindsay's relationship within the last two years had come at the ultimate price... her career.

 

Who was she without it?

 

Melanie couldn't even answer that question anymore. Or if she did, she was fucking afraid of the answer. Afraid that the answer would uncover the scared woman she had become, instead of the young lioness she used to be before Lindsay. It might reveal the emotionally abused creature who was more prone to shy away from confrontation behind closed doors than to stand up for herself, except on those rare occasions where Lindsay's actions were legally questionable. Well now it was time to take herself back, no longer willing to be Lindsay's live-in puppet instead of a woman in her own right.

 

"Okay Jamie- Judge Alexander- I accept your terms. But first, I owe Brian and Justin an apology. I know it doesn't mean much, but I truly, TRULY am sorry. I won't claim complete innocence of scheming against you Brian, but you were changing and you deserved the chance to change with and for the man you clearly love. I see now that this was Lindsay's last ditch effort to claim a foothold in your life. I can't say that I blame her, only because of the current state of affairs between you and Michael. But that doesn't excuse what I did to you. I think I wanted to make you pay, simply because you were Lindsay's dream and I was nothing to her but a consolation prize. It's not your fault as I had believed all these years, but it lies within Lindsay. I know that we will never be friends, Brian and Justin, but I hope that someday you can find it in your hearts to forgive me,"

 

Justin tightened his hold on Brian's hand, blue eyes focusing on the swirl of hazel regarding him. The communication in them was clear: anger, hurt, consternation, and contemplation. After a few moments, Justin saw the one thing he needed to see there... acceptance. Clearing his throat, he spoke directly to Melanie.

 

"I think that I can safely speak for Brian and myself when I say that what you did was beyond reprehensible. It was selfish and cruel. But ultimately, you and Lindsay also gave us a gift- two of them. Tiffany and Christian are well-loved and will be cherished always, despite their reasons for being or how they got here. I want you to know, that we forgive you, Mel, but we will never forget this duplicity, or the part you played in it. So regardless of everything, we wish you well in whatever road you decide to take but be smart, be cautious, and never allow yourself to be used so callously again. The next person or people, may not be so forgiving,"

 

"Well said, Justin," Jamison praised him. "I think Christopher Earle would be proud of you, for you embody the very quote of being humble in victory. Now onto the other matter. Your father..."

 

"Consider me an orphan," Justin said, short in his delivery.

 

Jamison smirked at the young man's quick wit. "Very well. How shall we refer to him for your benefit?"

 

"Asshole, ignoramus, Cunty Craig- which I hear he's called at the country club, or anything else you choose to call him, as long as it's not my father. As far as I'm concerned, I haven't had one since I was seventeen, and I don't need one now,"

 

"Fair enough. So are you willing to hear what Laura has to say?"

 

"I'm more interested in what Judge Russo has to say,"

 

"We can certainly address that, but I think you will find her tale sheds a different light on all of your interactions to date. Also it would answer a few questions that Roy had going into this as well,"

 

With a long-suffering sigh, Justin waved for Laura to begin her story. Honestly, he couldn't imagine that there was even one thing she had to say which would remotely hold any interest for him. As far as he was concerned, she was a jealous, spiteful whore with dreams of having his life prior to being kicked out of his childhood home. But it all backfired on her, and she must have finally figured out that being linked to Craig Taylor in any way, shape, or form wasn't in the best interests of sane people, let alone those who could be termed criminally insane.

 

"Justin, regardless of everything I have done, I really didn't set out in this to cause you harm, but to help my mother and me. You know some of the story, but not all of it. There were some really evil people that my mother was mixed up with just before meeting your father. She saw him as our savior. He paid off our creditors; gave us a place to stay and gave Mom a job. She didn't even know that he was married at the beginning of the affair. It wasn't until your mom arrived at the store because she needed Craig's insurance card for Molly, which he had in his wallet. I know that you know how controlling your father was. Well that even extended to taking you and your sister for basic medical appointments. That was the day your sister had to be hospitalized for a few days because of her allergic reaction to peanut butter,"

 

Justin nodded. "According to Mom, Molly had basically developed the allergy overnight,"

 

Well, Craig had basically yelled his head off about Molly landing in the hospital, although it wasn't anyone's fault. My mom kept him from hitting Jennifer when she happened up in the office unexpectedly,"

 

"Well okay, Catherine played a saint, for once. Although I am grateful, since every now and again Craig decided that his wife and his children needed heavy-handed discipline, it still doesn't explain how you ended up trying to destroy me,"

 

"That was two-fold really. From the outside looking in, you had a charmed life, Justin. You went to the best school, had a well-to-do, two-parent household with folks who loved you for yourself, and not for what was between your legs. The day you and that guy were found in your bedroom was the happiest day of my life- or at least, I thought it was. With him kicking you out, that meant it was my chance to take your place even though I am a few years older than you. So I started trying to make myself invaluable to Craig. Mother was pushing for him to divorce your mom, which I suspect he never would have done had she not found out the truth about your disappearance. Daphne went crazy looking for you, so it made it easy for Craig to manipulate her parents into placing ultimatums on her, which included breaking up with Glenn by starting rumors about what he was planning, which was a lie, but it worked. Getting the job at Kinnetik was the icing on the cake for me.

At first, I was to look for you. Once I found you I was to report to Craig how bad you were doing. He knew the area you were in, and since I got a job at Kinnetik, I would be in the same area. It took both of us by surprise when you showed up at Kinnetik, at first as an errand boy and then working your way up to Executive Liaison. I was ordered to destroy you again, before any of your friends and family found you. After they did, I was ordered to discredit you so that if you even thought of seeking legal restitution for what Craig had done, you would already be deemed a liar and as street trash looking to get rich quick.

What none of us counted on was you and Brian falling for each other. When Craig found that out, he became irate- angrier than I had ever seen him- but I couldn't figure out the reason why, since he put you out without support and expected you to have to sell your ass to be able to survive. It wasn't until I asked that question- or more to the point, Harlen asked- that we discovered that he wanted you dead, but didn't have the balls to hire someone to do it. If you died on the streets, he couldn't be held accountable for your bad decisions, which were really his underhanded tactics.

When your mom divorced him, she brought up the prenup which is why she got everything with the exception of his electronics store. Even though she could have taken that, too, if she wanted it. He blamed you for giving your mother the ammunition to leave him with limited funds. And when she found out about your bank account, and what he was using your money for, there was no recovery for him, socially nor financially. People think that it's strictly because of my mother that she and Craig are not allowed within the upper tier of the WASP nest. But in actuality, it's because of what he'd done to you. Judge Russo helped him pay off some people to give credence to his claims, although no one believed it. But there was little any of us could do,"

 

"That's bullshit! You both could have come forward and told my mother everything," Justin stated.

 

"That's true, but we had our own things going, too, Justin," Roy stated. "For my part, Craig helped me get a dear friend away from her husband, so that she wouldn't have him suffering uterine cancer alongside her. She didn't want Jamie to spend his life taking care of her,"

 

"Oddly, that makes a sense to me," Brian said.

 

At Justin's stunned look, Brian continued, "Hear me out, Azure. Had this been a few years ago, I would have done the exact same thing. She loved him enough to let him go, whether he wanted his freedom or not,"

 

Turning to Jamie, Brian asked, "How is she?"

 

"Alive and well, remarried and living in Europe," Jamie smiled. "We still speak regularly. In fact, Laura and I are supposed to visit her in the next few weeks,"

 

"You and Laura?"

 

"Yes. After Harlen left, she and I have been taking things slow. They pulled a ‘Daphne' on her where I was concerned, after my wife left. But that was okay, because Laura was still my friend throughout it all. Everything else was just what it was. But now I have to warn you that Craig has found out about your children somehow,"

 

"WHAT?" Justin sat up, fully alert with a look of abject horror and terror across his face.

 

"He called me to start proceedings to take them away from you and Brian," Roy confided. "I told him that I would think about it, even though I have no intention of doing any such thing,"

 

Brian and Justin relaxed marginally. "So what happens now?"

 

"He'll probably seek out a lawyer, to be ready when it's time to present his case. I would suggest you do the same, in case Craig gets some other asshole- who just happens to be a homophobe- to hear his case, when I tell him I won't do it.

 

And with that last bit of information, Brian and Justin said their goodbyes and got up to leave. It was time to preserve the Taylor-Kinney's in every way that mattered. Opening the door, Justin was surprised to see not only Harriet, but Deb and his mother as well.

 

"What are you three doing back here?" Justin asked, directing his question to on one in particular.

 

Harriet answered, "As for me, I needed to speak to Jamison and Roy. I just found out that Laura was back here. Amazingly enough, I just received a call from Catherine Taylor informing me that Craig was now in a meeting with his lawyer about taking the children away from their fathers. So I'm here to appeal to your good sense- that is if you have any left." She directed her narrowed eyes at Roy, who squirmed in his chair under her scrutiny.

 

Justin thought that it must be fun to wield that much power with a simple look, to even make judges tremble. He would have to ask Harriet to teach him that. He turned to his mother.

 

"Well that explains Harriet's presence, Mom. But what about you?"

 

Jennifer remained silent, but moved into the office. Looking at each of the occupants, her eyes squinted when she regarded her prey, standing there as a spider would in the middle of a web. Jennifer placed her purse on the edge of the Jamie's desk, taking off her rings and placing them alongside it. Then, donning a pair of black leather gloves, Jennifer moved stealthily over towards the end of the couch. Before Brian or Justin fully realized her intent, Jennifer reared back her balled fist and sent it flying forward into the jaw of Melanie Marcus, who, caught off guard, didn't have time to deflect the left hook or move out of the way of it. The former bull-dyke attorney slumped forward, being caught from hitting the floor by the blond young woman who was sitting quietly beside her.

 

"I remember what that feels like," Laura muttered as she leaned Melanie back against the arm of the chair.

 

"Good! So the next time you decide to fuck with me and mine, you'll know what's coming and know to run and hide," Jennifer told her, removing the leather gloves and checking her hands over to make sure she didn't bruise her delicate knuckles as she had months ago when she had knocked Laura out with the same left hook.

 

Justin shook his head before turning back to a chuckling Harriet and a cackling Deb. "And why did you come back here, Deb? To check on us?"

 

Deb quieted long enough to answer him. "Not at all, Sunshine. I knew you and Brian were perfectly capable of taking care of yourselves. No, I came to watch the fireworks! You were right, Harriet. That left hook of Jennifer's is a thing of beauty! That gal should really hold a class."

 

And the belle dames of his heart left as quickly as they came in, still talking as if his mom hadn't just pulled a Mike Tyson in the middle of a judge's chambers.

 

"Damnnnnn," all three of the remaining men exclaimed, before Jamison said, "Melanie is going to wake up with a helluva bruise and a possible concussion. I think she got off easy."

 

"I think we have all learned what happens when you piss a ‘J Taylor' off. First Jennifer, then Justin, and now Jennifer again. What is the world coming to?" Roy asked.

 

"How about we all just not find out," Brian offered as he ushered himself and Justin toward the heavy oak door Jennifer's posse just went through. "Good day, Gentlemen, and Laura. And good luck if you get on the wrong side of those Belle Dames. Oh, and tell Mel to take two Advils to reduce the swelling and calm the headache, and ice packs for the first twenty-four hours and then moist heat. She's going to wake with one helluva bruise," Brian chuckled as he closed the door, signaling his and Justin's final departure from the courthouse and the munchers. "I've wanted to do that for years. Remind me to thank your mother,"

 

"Well, jewelry always works. Just don't get her a set of boxing gloves." Justin's droll response caused Brian to laugh even harder.

 

 

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

 

Michael was walking along Liberty Avenue when he heard a group of queens gossiping. When he heard Brian's name, he slowed down to listen. Apparently, they were party planners and were planning a wedding for Brian and Justin. Feeling even lower than he had been previously, he turned around and headed for Woody's. To hell with looking for a job; the motel manager will just have to wait another fucking week for payment.

 

This was more important!

 

After several hours at the bar, he thought about going home. Thinking about how to get there, he realized his car was around the corner. Once he got in his car, he thought about going home and decided he would drive around for a while first and think about his life. The one thing he knew for sure was that everything that had gone wrong in his life had been caused by that fucking gold-digging hustler, Justin Taylor. Before that whore came around Brian spent time with him, his mother protected him and did what he asked her to do, and Ted and Emmett were his friends.

 

Thinking back to his last time he'd seen or spoken to his mother got him even angrier:

 

Michael headed to his mother's house on a day he knew she was off. He was getting tired of her defending that little whore and was going to straighten her out once and for all! He put in his key to unlock the door, twisting it he wondered why there wasn't the ‘click' of the sketchy lock as there always had been since his youth. He tried again and... nothing happened. He leaned on the bell until she answered. When she opened the door, wearing her ‘lounge around the house' outfit, he glared at her.


"Why doesn't my key work?" He asked, accusingly, pushing past her and walking in.


"Because we changed the locks. Carl lives here now, and we don't want everyone just walking in," Deb answered.


"Well you can get me one later. For now, you need to get dressed so we can go to the bank,"


"I don't need to go to the bank, Michael,"


"Uh, yes, you do. You need to take out a new mortgage on this house, so I can finally finish paying off that bullshit lawsuit to the fucking hustler! And I also need money for either a big down payment on a house, or enough to put down for a lease and several months rent on an apartment," Michael told his mother, folding his arms and waiting in expectation for his tersely-worded order to be followed.


"And who is going to make the mortgage payments?" She asked, stunned at the audacity of her son.


"You and Carl, of course. I figured since he wants to play stepdaddy, he could help my Ma in supporting me. Besides, you're both working so I can't see why not," Michael answered, looking at Deb like she was some kind of idiot for even asking the question.


"So, let me make sure I have this straight: You want me to take out a mortgage on MY house, and pay it off myself, to pay for a lawsuit against you because of something YOU DID. And I- or WE- should also pay for a place for you to live. Do I have that right?"


"Yes, at least you were finally listening. Now get dressed so we can go," Michael announced, tapping his foot and pointing toward the stairs.


"NO! You can sell off the rest of your fucking collectibles! And then you can get off your ass and get a job, you childish little shit! Why do you think I should be held responsible for paying a judgement against you because YOU shot YOUR fucking mouth off at the WRONG person?!"


"Because you said you would to talk to Brian, and obviously you weren't persuasive enough. You were supposed to get him to get that fucking hustler to drop the suit, and you didn't do it. So it's you should pay for the lawsuit," Michael answered, shrugging like it was the most logical solution to his problems in the world.


"I've got news for you, Michael. Justin is a wonderful young man. You had absolutely no right to say what you did about him, and you deserved what you got in court. I WILL NOT take out a mortgage to pay Justin. Like I said, you can sell your collectibles, get a loan, sell your ass and mouth to the highest bidder; do whatever the fuck you have to do, but YOU will pay Justin yourself! Stop blaming other people for what is wrong in your life. Everything bad that is going on in your life right now has been caused by you, and you alone. The only thing I am guilty of is letting you get away with things and blaming others, especially Brian, so often and so much that it became a way of life for you. But I've already taken measures to correct my wrongs; and have made amends to the people I have used to make your life better out of misplaced guilt and anger with myself. So I'll advise you to do the same. Take a good look at your life, Michael, and you will realize that you have brought these things on yourself. Now I have plans to relax and watch movies today, so please leave and do what you need to do to pay Justin what YOU owe him." Deb answered him as she sat down on the couch and picked up the remote.


Michael left, slamming the door as hard as he could on the way out of his mother's house and had not spoken to her since.

 

Continuing to drive, the more he thought about what Justin had done to wreck his life, the more agitated he got and the harder he pushed on the gas. He was in such a rage that he didn't even notice that he had crossed into the oncoming lane. He heard a car horn but it was too late, then there was nothing... Nothing, but darkness.

 

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

 

Craig and Catherine were driving home, still arguing about Craig trying to take the babies away from Justin and Brian. She was trying to convince him that it would be a waste of money; money that they didn't have because business was down since Craig's outbursts, and getting thrown out of the Country Club. In addition, he still had to pay alimony and child support, which cut into their available cash even more.

 

"If we need to pay a lawyer for anything, it should be to get rid of the alimony you are paying to that fucking bitch of an ex-wife of yours. She has a fucking job. You should not have to support her at all! And as I've already told you, I have no intention of raising two more fucking brats. So unless you would like to start paying another alimony bill, you will give up this stupid notion of yours to get those kids!"

 

Craig backhanded his shrew of a wife. "Don't tell me what you will and will not do! You will do as you're fucking told!"

 

They were so busy arguing that neither one was really paying attention to the road. Suddenly Craig was blinded by headlights coming straight at his car. He leaned on the horn, but the car continued to careen toward him. There was nowhere for Craig to maneuver his vehicle unless it was off the bridge to the right of the lane. He knew that death was imminent, but whose he was unsure of.

 

The last thing Craig could hear and feel was the horrible sound of crunching metal, the caving in of his chest cavity as the airbag deployed against it, the re-breaking of his nose as the car pitched forward, causing his entire face to not only hit the airbag a second time, but also the driver side window. There was no denying the sound of breaking glass, as the windshield exploded on impact. Where once there was a screaming and shouting match spewing forth from the passenger side of the vehicle... there was now only silence. Where a few moments ago there were blinding white lights heading towards him, now there were two mangled cars steadily falling over the side of the bridge, which Craig had been trying to avoid. The last sound heard anywhere was a splash and then sirens off in the distance, after being alerted to the trouble. And as for the occupants in either of the cars involved in the crash... there was nothing.