- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

DISCLAIMER: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

 

 

Justin sat in front of the blank canvas, hoping for a miracle. It was the last piece that he needed for his first showing, pending Rainer accepting it. At twenty-three, it was an honor to be in the same gallery as Rainer Montana. When the world-renowned artist offered to show three of Justin’s pieces at this show, he couldn’t believe it.

It had been almost three years since he had moved to New York. His life had seemed like a rollercoaster since the day he met Brian Kinney. That wild, fun rollercoaster crashed the night of his prom. Sometime, while he was in his coma, Brian quit his job and moved away. Debbie and Michael had even gone to Brian’s former boss to see what was going on. Marty Ryder would only say that Brian had asked to be let out of his contract. He wanted to leave, and didn’t want anything from his former life to find him.

The next shake up on Liberty Avenue was Lindsay kicking Mel to the curb. She blamed Mel for never accepting Brian. Blaming her partially for why he left. He had signed over his rights to Melanie. It seemed Lindsay put the kibosh on that after Brian left. With no Lindsay or Gus, Mel left too.

After that Lindsay worried about what would happen to Gus if something should happen to her. Brian was gone, never to be heard from again. Mel would have Gus hating her. Debbie had her hands full with Vic. Michael would try and turn Gus into some Brian 2.0. Ted and Emmett weren’t really an option. What scared her most was her parents or sister getting him. He would be raised to hate. She couldn’t allow that. Still though, when she asked Justin to be Gus’ guardian, he was shocked. He was only nineteen at the time.

One look at Gus though, he agreed. It’s what Brian would want, at least Justin thought so. It was all supposed to be hypothetical. Lindsay was always supposed to raise Gus. But life is anything but fair. She had been driving home when a trucker fell asleep behind the wheel…she died on impact. Thankfully, Justin was watching Gus that night.

The Peterson’s put up a fight, but Lindsay had crossed her t’s and dotted her i’s. In the end, Justin had to allow one week a year. In the three years following they have never requested it. As much as he loved the Liberty Avenues gang after Lindsay’s death, their help was too much. Debbie wanted them to move in with her. He declined. Everyone had their opinion on how Gus should be raised. Michael and Debbie were the loudest. Lindsay had left a decent amount of life insurance, it wasn’t Brian’s million-dollar one, but he and Gus were comfortable enough that Justin decided to start a fresh life for them both. Somewhere Lindsay’s ghost and Brian’s memories didn’t evade everything. So, he and Gus moved to New York.  

When he was bashed, his brain had been permanently injured. It affected his motor skills, his hand was never going to be the same again. Even after extensive physical therapy his hand only worked for fifteen minutes at a time. Because of this PIFA decided to drop him.

His mother always said when one door closes another one opens. Not that he cared much for what she said anymore. She was on the Peterson’s side during to court battle. She used Justin’s disability against him, his promiscuity before the bashing. Only before the bashing; because after, he couldn’t handle people touching him, even in non-sexual ways. He thought about seeing a shrink but pushed that thought away. At least he could handle touch now.

He’d gotten a job at a call center. After six months, he could work from home. That was good because he wanted to save money. Even though PIFA tossed him, he still had the need to get his pain out using the canvas. Now finally, after three years he was getting the chance. In two weeks people from all around New York would see his work.

“Papa,” an annoyed voice said, bringing him out of his thoughts.

Justin looked up to see his son glaring at him. He really did look like Brian when he was annoyed.

“Yes?” he asked the six-year-old.

“You promised you would take me to Lunar.”

Justin sighed. That he had done; his son seemed to have expensive taste, just like his father. Lunar was a new restaurant in Manhattan. How his son learned about it, he didn’t know. They lived in Queens.

“I’ll call and see about a reservation, but don’t get your hopes up on that it’ll be today.”

Gus nodded eagerly.

After looking up the number he made the call.

“Welcome to Lunar, how can I be of service today?” a masculine voice asked.

“I know this is a long shot but can you fit two in for lunch today?”

“You are very lucky, sir. Someone just called cancelling their reservation. Name?”

“Taylor,” he said.

“Taylor for two, your reservation is filling one at one o’clock, it that satisfactory?”

“Oh yes, thank you.” His country club mom would be as ashamed of his manners.

“This is a coat and tie establishment,” he said a little condescending.

“Yes, I know. Goodbye.” Justin hung up and smiled at Gus. “Get dressed, kiddo. Make sure you put on your suit. Don’t forget to brush your hair.”

Gus clapped his hands and ran to his bedroom. Their apartment was small, only a one bedroom. Justin didn’t need his own room. The couch was fine enough. Queens wasn’t Manhattan but it was pricey. He would have to penny pinch for the next couple of months because of this lunch. But Gus was worth everything, and Justin was going to make sure he got it.


Brian hated doing business on the weekend. When he had moved to New York five years ago, he felt dead on the inside. The night of Justin’s prom was the last time he felt anything. The second day after Justin’s attack, he had entered the hospital and ran into Justin’s mother. She was sobbing. When he asked if Justin was okay, she glared at him. Then she yelled that he killed her son. Justin was dead and it was all his fault. He had only left to change clothes, because the nurses insisted. Justin was alive when he left to change. After losing Justin, two days later he was on a plane to New York, never having talked to any of them after Jennifer. They would blame him, he had done that enough himself.

He joined a up and coming agency. He got in just in time to become a full partner. The agency was number two in the city, he planned to be number one by the end of the year. After five years, he had a gorgeous three-bedroom apartment on Sixth Avenue.

He sent a letter to Lindsay two years ago; it explained that he had just needed to get his head on straight. Just so he could function again. The letter came back with a notation on it not being her address anymore. She and Mel had moved on. What right did he have to interrupt their life? Gus didn’t even know him anymore. Knowing Mel if he did he hated him. He decided against contacting Michael and Debbie. It would be like ripping a bandage off a fatal wound. You’re still going to die, but it would speed up the death.

Dressing in his newest Armani suit, he left to meet Colleen Douglas of the Douglas-Cork Corp. He just hoped she kept her hands to herself this time. She was older than his own mother. If he liked pussy, it wouldn’t be hers.

Lunar was becoming his favorite restaurant to go. He was seated at a section for only parties of two to three people. Mrs. Douglas was already there. She was wearing the ugliest orange monstrosity he had ever seen.

“Brian, you look wonderful,” she gushed.

“As do you, Colleen,” he lied, kissing her over-rouged cheek.

They sat down and chatted lightly until the waiter came to take their drink order. Seeing he couldn’t order alcohol, Mrs. Douglas was a recovering alcoholic, he ordered water as did she. It was her only request while out to eat. 

He didn’t pay attention to the goings on around him. Really, he just wanted to go home and have a stiff drink. Wouldn’t the old man be proud?

“But Papa, I wanted to sit by the window,” he heard a child say.

Who in their right mind would bring a kid to a stuffy place like this? He liked it because the wait staff was top notch. He’s had almost every one of the waiters…the food was alright too.

“If that is going to be your attitude, we’ll go back home.”

Brian’s head snapped up from his menu. He turned around and saw a ghost. He had to be, or maybe a doppelganger. Because Justin Taylor was dead. The man was still looking down at the child.

“I’m sorry, Papa.”

Brian looked at the boy with him.

“Gus?” he said. He was looking at a boy that could have been his twin at that age.

“Daddy?” He turned to look at the blond. “Papa, look it’s Daddy.”

“Justin?” Brian addressed the Justin ghost.

“Jesus, Brian. I never thought I’d’ see you again.”

“Same here, Sunshine.”

They just stared at each other until someone cleared their throat behind him.  

“Brian, it looks like we’ll need to talk business another time,” Colleen said standing up.

“I’m really sorry about this, Colleen.”

“Family always comes first. I’ll be in touch.” She kissed him on the cheek, leaving the dining room.

“Sit was us, Daddy,” Gus said.

Brian grabbed his chair and moved it to their table. The waiter looked like he wanted to argue but thought better of it.

“What will you gentlemen be having today?” he asked.

“I want the most expensive thing,” Gus said brightly.

“Gus!” Justin said as he closed his eyes.

“Please, Papa”, Gus begged.

Brian watched the exchanged, is mind reeled to as why Justin was here in New York with Gus. Where were his mothers? What the hell was going on?

Justin was fidgeting some, looking down at the menu and back at Gus. His beautiful face was filled with a look of regret. Brian took a guess on what Justin was worried about.

“Lunch is on me, order what you want.”

“It’s too much,” Justin tried to say.

“Nothing too much for my two favorite men.”

“Papa, he called me a man,” Gus said, puffing out his little chest.

After they ordered, Brian couldn’t hold back anymore. “What the fuck, Sunshine? I thought you were dead.”

Justin’s eyes widened. “Why would you think that?”

“Two days after prom, I came to the hospital after going home to change. Your mother said you were dead. I couldn’t face anyone. Couldn’t face being there without you.”

Justin’s face hardened. “That bitch. Nothing she does surprises me anymore. Well, as you can see I didn’t die. I was in bad shape for a while, I’ll always have issues, because of the brain injury.”

“What are you doing with Gus? Where’s Lindsay and Mel?”

“Why don’t we talk later?  Let’s just talk about current things.”

Brian let the conversation move away from Lindsay and Mel.

“So, are you visiting New York?” Brian asked.

“No, we live in Queens. Don’t say a thing, Brian.”

Brian smiled. “I’m shocked you would think I would say something about that.”

“Ha ha,” Justin said sarcastically. “So do you live here?”

“Yes, Sixth Avenue.”

Justin whistled. “Fancy. “

“Come home with me. Please?”

“Of course,” Justin said, like it was the easiest decision of his life.

They ate and chatted about stupid stuff, Gus barely touched his food. Once they left, Brian hailed a cab for them. Inside it Gus sat in the middle. Brian rested his arm across the back of the seat, hand grabbing Justin’s shaggy blond hair. He’s never seen him with long hair before. It was sexy as hell.

At Brian’s building the doorman let them in. Gus’ eyes were huge looking at upscale building.

“Papa, look it’s like a fairytale.”

“It’s all very nice,” Justin said, smiling.

In his apartment, he led Gus to his study. He quickly made a kid’s profile on his computer and put in on a kid’s game website. As much as he wanted to get to know his son again, he needed to know what was going on.

Justin was sitting on his leather couch, waiting for him.

“From the beginning?“ Justin asked. Brian nodded. He wanted to know it all.

“Well, like I said. I didn’t die. I went home with my mom and had physical therapy. She didn’t want me hanging out with anyone form Liberty Avenue.  Hobbs got off with community service.” Brian had talked himself out of checking on Hobbs punishment several times. He knew it would never be enough. “Anyway, I couldn’t put up with my mom anymore, especially after PIFA dropped me because of the hand. I moved in with Lindsay to help her with Gus. After you took off Lindsay blamed Mel and kicked her out. She put a stop to Mel’s adoption of Gus. To make sure her homophobic parents or sister never got their hands on Gus if something should happen, she made me his guardian.”

Brian couldn’t believe she booted Mel and let Justin move in.

“When I was twenty, Lindsay died in a car accident.” Justin looked sadly at Brian. “There was a custody battle, my mom sided with the Petersons. But Deb, Michael, Emmett, Ted and Vic spoke for me. I was the only one with a real chance in hell to keep him from them. Unless we found you, but we only would do that if we lost the case. We wanted to respect your wishes about being left alone.  After winning, we moved here. So, that’s our life in a nutshell. I have my first pieces showing in a gallery in two weeks.”

Lindsay was dead. He hadn’t known. Gus could have been in her parents hands if it wasn’t for Justin.

“Are you going to let me see him?” Brain asked quietly. He was always going to have to ask permission to see his son. All because he had signed over his rights.

“Well, of course. You’ll see him all the time after we move in here.”

Brian blinked at Justin. “Wait, you’re moving in here?” Hope bubbled in his chest.

“You’re his father Brian, you have more rights to him that I do. Mel didn’t adopt him, that was the condition of you giving up your rights.  And well, I’ve had him longer than anyone, so I go where he goes. It’s the logical answer. Not only that but, we’d end up back together; we’re end game material.”

Brian smiled and pulled Justin onto his lap. Justin met his lips halfway. After air became necessary they parted. “When can you two move in?”

“I’m free this evening”, Justin said, smiling his sunshine smile.

Brian finally felt his heart start up again after five years. He would grieve Lindsay but right now he had the most important people in his life to get reacquainted with.

 

The End.
Neverbreeze is the author of 9 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 4 members. Members who liked Out to Lunch also liked 357 other stories.