- Text Size +
Story Notes:

The anti is more for the annoying things they do. Justin never meet anyone other than Daphne. He went to college and became a doctor.

Sitting at the bar in Vegas, my only thought was, no more air conditioning for five years. Graduating from med school with my best friend, we decided to sign on to help bring medical care to third world countries. I signed on for five years and of course Daphne signed with me, I think we just wanted to escape our families. Hers because they wanted her to marry her long time boyfriend and open a cute little practice where she could be home to plan dinner parties every weekend. Andrew just laughed at the idea that his spitfire would ever do anything like that, so like everything else he did in life, he followed Daphne. I mean what organization was going to say no to a guy with an international law degree, who was willing to work for free, but Andrew already inherited a fortune, so he’s just like Daphne and I, a workaholic. Tonight though they wanted to ruin all Mrs. Chander’s plans for the wedding of the century, so here we are getting a bit lit off our asses, going to find a wedding chapel and as many Elvis impersonators as possible. For some reason Daphne and Andrew really want to send their parents many pictures of their idea of ‘Wedding of the Century’.

 

“You know… I mean… I should so like maybe pretend to… um what was I saying?” Tequila is just soooo much fun.

 

“You wanted to marry Andrew...wait no... hell I don’t know.” Miss Vodka is so not helpful right now.

 

“No offence, but sorry I’m just not in love with you.” Andrew is such a delightful twit.

 

“Oh, now I remember, I should like get married and send Craig eight by tens for the den.” I tell them, because this just sounds absolutely marvelous to me.

 

“Justin are you like, drunk? Oh yeah, we are.” Daphne tells me, grinning like well, me.

 

“I’m just saying, he’s running around thrilled to tell everyone his son’s a doctor, but then acts like the whole gay thing just doesn’t exist.” I rush out, before taking another shot.

 

While I was trying to guzzle it, a drunk guy throws his arms around me, nuzzling my neck and you know, as much as I like guys nuzzling, I was kind of working on my guzzling, hehehe. I pushed the guy off and turned to say something, but well I was kind of looking at a zipper so I had to look up and up. He was staring down at the guy on the floor.

 

“Mikey, you're never going to score like that.” Tall, dark, and delicious tells floor guy.

 

“Brian, I was just goofing off, we are celebrating partnership.” Mikey, who’s as drunk as we are, tells him.

 

Two other guys come running up and drag a giggling Mikey behind them. Brian sits down and stares at me. I look over a Daphne and Andrew who were ready to go do the matrimony thing. Brian was definitely nice to look at, but with Mikey for a partner I figured someone had to be the good looking one. Time to stop drinking, because it always leads to me being catty about unequal partnerships.

 

“So what are you doing alone that we could be doing together?” He asks me.

 

“We are getting married.” Daphne points at me and her but that’s just her drunk, zero sense of direction.

 

“You do realize that he’s gay?” Brian asks with a silly smile, and I realize he’s not exactly sober either.

 

“Andrew isn’t gay trust me, hey I even have pictures of how gay he isn’t.” Daphne starts searching her phone.

 

“NO, please, if I promise to deliver your first born, you have to keep the ‘How I Got Knocked Up’ pictures to yourself.” I wasn't kidding, she really has pictures and video of that event which is what lead us to Vegas the night before leaving the country.

 

“Fine, but it's not like he’ll ever see the miracle of creating life.” She tells us.

 

“I missed my owns son's birth, just because that miracle isn't really on my agenda.” He tells us.

 

“Wait aren’t you like on my team, I mean you're here celebrating with your partner? ” I ask him, because seriously that would ruin my buzz.

 

“Partnership as in owning my Ad firm along with a friend, and trust me I don't do relationships.” He tells me.

 

“Me neither, but it's cause I'm leaving tomorrow, otherwise I'd be all for changing your mind.” I tell him.

 

“Well one last round, then off to become the ball and chain.” Daphne tells us hanging her arms around Andrew like a chain.

 

“Well let me buy us a couple bottles, might as well see what the wedding fuss is all about.” Brian offers.

 

It's kind of the last thing I really remember from last night, well I had this strange dream that I got married to a ridiculously gorgeous man. Although the dream about the after the wedding sex was sort of amazing, when I woke up, it was just me in bed. Granted I'm sure I had sex last night and peeking in the waste basket I'm absolutely relieved I didn't do anything stupid. Hopping up, which really sucks with a hangover, I see a note next to aspirin, which I accidentally knocked the glass of water on, so only the first line and the signature were readable.

 

Have fun, call so we can take care of the an……..  

 

Your buddy in matrimonial pursuits,

BK

 

I just threw the paper away, because it didn't make much sense. Plus I don't remember BK.  Downing the aspirin, I take a shower, deciding who ever he was, he sure showed me a good time, at least I hope so with how sore I was this morning.  

 

I headed down to the lobby to my waiting cab and passed by a guy who was complaining that his best friend bailed on him last night to two other guys. I paused, but Daphne came running up with Andrew and started dragging me out.

 

“Jesus Brian couldn’t you at least call me, so I know you’re not dead somewhere.” I hear and turn to see the guy that was in my dreams.

 

“I was busy getting busy, so no…” The rest I lost when the doors closed, but really I'm about to embark on a new career so why do I feel like I'm missing something by not hearing what the guy in the lobby told his friend.

 

On the flight to Africa, I started looking for a sketch pad, but found a piece of paper wadded up. Shit, ink spilled all over it. Pulling it open, I'm kind of not sure, but this looks like a marriage license with my name and well, the other name, covered in ink. The scrawl on the bottom is barely legible. Turning to the lovebirds behind me,

 

“Did I get married?” I ask them.

 

“You and the other guy joked around about it, but after we got married you two took off, so I couldn't tell you. Why?” Daphne asks.

 

I hand her the paper. She stares at it then goes through her paperwork in her briefcase, pulling out hers. Turning them so I can see them, they’re both the same with the seal for Nevada on it.

 

“Do you remember his name?” I ask, getting her hysterical laughter which I didn’t need, when I'm apparently married to God only knows who.

 

“Look at it this way, your marriage will at least last five years.” Andrew is so off my good list.

 

“Hey, you married Hollywood style, but at least the divorce isn't.” I hope her kid comes out a hell raiser, if not, I'll at least help make it a parents nightmare by spoiling the hell out of it.  

 

“Justin we could go back, I mean drunk marriage is annulled all the time.” She tells me.

 

“I really want to have Craig smirking that I'm an idiot. Not in this lifetime.” I slump back in my seat.

 

I grab the phone and place a call that will probably cost a hundred a minute, only to find out you have to show up in person to get a copy of the original, and no they can't just read the names off unless they see ID. Hanging up, I decided five years and I'll check into it. It's not like I plan to get married again anyway.

 

FIVE YEARS LATER

 

“Uncle Justy, why is Mommy all big?” Callie asks me.

 

“Remember, Mommy is having your brother.” I tell her.

 

“Yep, but will you love that baby more than me?” She asks swinging her legs in the chair.

 

“Nope, because you're my angel.” I joke with her.

 

“Why are we moving to Pitts?” She asks me.

 

“Because Mommy loves to torture Daddy and me.” I tell her.

 

“Justin it's not like we are moving into our parents neighborhood.” Daphne tells me, waddling up.

 

“We could have set up a practice anywhere but Pittsburgh.” I tell her.

 

“Andrew got the job for that huge firm and where we go, you go.” She tells me.

 

“I know, but really, we just got off the plane and already that Kinney guy is calling him to handle some contract negotiation. Andrew doesn’t seem to realize that he’s taken a job that is going to interrupt your home life, if the guy starts expecting him to work right now.” I tell her.

 

“Andrew misses the high stress life, I mean, admin for clinics really wasn’t what he wanted to do forever, just long enough to be there for Callie.” She tells me wincing.

 

“Shit how far apart? I swear I’m going to lose my license for lying about how pregnant your ass really is.” I ask her, checking her pulse.

 

“I wanted Andrew to be there for the birth, this way at least we’ll be together. Otherwise I’d still be in Africa.” She tells me.

 

Andrew hangs up and looks at us. “I knew I should have put my foot down and made you stay.” He tells Daphne.

 

Which really didn’t matter when she almost crushed my hand. We get her ass out of the airport with Callie complaining that she wanted a sister, not a brother. The hospital was close enough that we got Daphne through the door and into delivery without having the delivery in the waiting room. This time I stayed outside with Callie, thank God. Daphne is not a very happy woman in labor.

 

Callie and I were walking down to the nursery when Andrew came out to tell us that Andrew Justin Carson was being taken there. It was really sweet that they wanted to give him my name. Callie and I were staring at Baby Andy, when a group of people came to look at the little girl next to him. I smiled, but Andy had all my attention. The group walked off but a little boy stood there staring at the girl.

 

“That’s my sister.” He tells us.

 

“She’s adorable, not like my brother. Want to trade? Cause I wanted a sister.” Callie tells him.

 

“Callie, you can’t trade babies.” I tell her.

 

“GUS, you can’t leave like that.” A blonde haired woman tells him.

 

“I wanted to look at Jenny without Uncle Mikey around.” He tells her.

 

“Honey, Michael’s really excited to have a child, just like your dad was.” She tells him.

 

“I just don’t like it when he says he’s not going to be a part time dad, like my dad. My dad always sees me.” He tells her.

 

“Lambskin, it’s just Uncle Mikey.” She tells him.

 

“Uncle Mikey gave Mama a baby, like my dad did for Mom.” He tells us, as if he’s really tired.

 

“I’m sure they don’t want to know sweetheart.” She looks up at us smiling.

 

“We just came cause my mommy didn’t want to have a baby in Africa.” Callie informs them.

 

“Well Callie girl, we should go see Mommy and Daddy.” I tell her because Callie is all into the sharing.

 

I look down at the little boy and realize he’s really flushed and wincing as if he has a headache.

 

“I’m Justin…” I wait hoping they’ll introduce themselves.

 

“Lindsay, and this is Gus.” She tells me when I stared at Gus.

 

“Lindsay, has Gus had chicken pox?” I ask her.

 

“No, but kids at school had it a couple weeks ago.” She tells me.

 

“I’m a doctor, would you mind if I ask Gus some questions, because you might need to get him checked out if I’m right.” I tell her.

 

Lindsay nods and I knock on the window and ask for a thermometer and some gloves. The nurse comes out and hands them to Callie who I asked to get them. I didn’t want the nurse too close when she worked with newborns. His temperature was higher than normal, and I found the spot when he reached to scratch it.

 

“You should have him checked out, because it looks like he’s got it. Also you need to make sure your daughter’s mother had it, because if she didn’t it could be dangerous for the baby to be around him.” I tell her.

 

“I hate to ask, but can you go to the room and let my partner know that I have to take Gus to see a doctor.” She ask me.

 

I took Callie to her father and tell him I’m going to run an errand. A nurse was standing outside the door and I figured I could tell her to inform the family. When she walked in I stood outside and waited to make sure I could answer anything if they needed me to. I really started to worry when Uncle Mikey got hysterical.

 

“Ben, he could have gotten you sick, not to mention Jenny. Mel, you need to call Brian and tell him to take care of his kid. I won’t have my daughter or Ben get sick because you didn’t realize Gus had chicken pox.” He yells it.

 

“If everyone’s had chickenpox, or had the shot, then it’s really unlikely it will hurt anyone. I always suggest not letting a child with it be around newborns, but that’s just because newborns don’t always have the immunities to chicken pox, so unless Ben hasn’t had it, then he should be alright.” I tell them.  

 

“Well my husband is HIV positive, so why don’t you just mind your own business.” He tells me.

 

“Have you been around Gus a lot?” I ask, concerned, because yes, he could have adverse reactions to most viruses.

 

“No they haven’t, Gus has been with his father for the last two weeks. So Michael you need to stop freaking out.” Mel who I guess is the new mom informs us all.

 

“Well I don’t want him here until he’s not sick anymore.” Michael, the whining asshole, tells us.

 

“Shit, who are you?” She asks me when I can see she’s conflicted about this.

 

“Justin Taylor, but I’m also a doctor, so I do know the affects that this could have.” I tell her because Michael needs to stop looking at me like I’m a teenager.

 

“Sure you are.” Michael tells me.

 

“Justin, look, can you tell Lindsay to call Brian and let him know that he’ll have Gus a little longer. Which he’ll love, Michael.” She tells us, but why is she almost warning Michael?

 

“It might interrupt his day, you know how he hates when anyone calls him at work.” He tells her.

 

“Michael, he’s just not thrilled when you call five times in a row, he’s busy, unlike you.” Ben tells him, looking annoyed.

 

At this point I honestly want to deliver the message and get back to my family. Walking down to the emergency room, I see Doctor Adams, who I interned with, and go see if he could lead me to Lindsay and Gus. He gets the information for me and we head to his room. Doctor Adams took over for the nurse, and I pull Lindsay aside.

 

“I went and told your wife, but I think the guy… Michael, is really concerned because of Ben, his husband?” I stumble through because really I’m just guessing, but she nods like she understands. “They said you should call Gus’s father to get him.” I tell her.

 

“Brian should be here any minute now.” She tells me, and it’s strange, but that name always sends tingles down my spine.

 

“Okay, well I hope Gus feels better soon.” I tell her turning to go.

 

I walked out to see a guy rushing in, and well I had to stand there for a second because he was really just beautifully made. He started by me and the cologne he wore smelled great so I kind of sniffed maybe a little too loudly.

 

I ran when I knew he must have heard me, shit, that’s embarrassing. I got in the elevator and he was standing there smirking when I turned around but then his smirk kind of died and he opened his mouth. The door closed before whatever he was going to say could come out.

 

Andrew met me at the door to the room with a sleepy Callie and handed me the keys. We agreed that I would take Callie to the new apartment and stay with her. We wanted the new baby transition to be easy on her, she was so used to being the only one. I carried her but then turned around to see Michael and took the stairs because I was not riding down with that asshole.

 

I managed to find Tremont Street and get into the building without any problems. Getting to the fourth floor, I slid open the door and put Callie to bed. I grabbed the remote and started flipping channels, still wondering what the guy would have said if I hadn’t let the door shut.

 

BRIAN

 

When they say what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas, well it’s a lie, because my husband is in Pittsburgh. I have the marriage license to prove he’s the one. I waited for Justin to call me, but then weeks and years went by without a phone call. My lawyer was willing to file an uncontested divorce, but warned me that it wouldn’t look good in the business world that I drunkenly married someone I don’t know in Vegas. It was a sad day when I realized I had to get a copy of the marriage license to even remember his full name.

 

When I started my own company, it actually came in useful to say that I was married but that my spouse was a doctor giving aid to third world countries. Which I only knew because I hired a detective to find out for me. I figured sooner or later he’d come to find me and we could settle this. What I didn’t expect was to walk by him at the hospital, or that he didn’t seem to recognize me. Even drunk, I could at least remember what he looked like.

 

Right now I need to see Gus, because Lindsay will make everything sound worse than it is. Walking in, Gus was sleeping while Lindsay cried on the doctor. I just waited because I was told Chickenpox when I called Mel, who has always been more level headed.

 

“Brian, it’s chickenpox.” Lindsay comes over grabbing me like they said cancer.

 

“Which, as long as Brian has had it, should be fine. Like Justin told you, it’s not dangerous, just contagious.” The doctor tell us.

 

“Justin?” I ask because it’s a name that really interests me right now.

 

“Oh, he’s the one that noticed Gus looked feverish.” Lindsay tells me.

 

“Justin’s dealt with a lot of these kinds of things.” The doctor tells us.

 

“Yeah Daddy, they were in Africa.” Gus tells me yawning.

 

I go over to Gus and pick him up and hold him in my lap, trying to think of a way to get Justin’s last name, because I have a feeling my husband just diagnosed his stepson.

 

“I’d like to thank Justin, sorry but nobody said his last name.” I hope it didn’t sound like the fishing expedition it was.

 

“Taylor, but Justin wouldn’t see it as anything but doing his job.” The doctor tells me and leaves Lindsay with a prescription.

 

I picked up Gus and carried him to the booth where we pay for this trip. Handing my credit card over as Lindsay pretends not to notice that you pay for these visits. It’s really not a big surprise anymore to me, Mel usually just writes a check for half, which I just deposit to Gus’s college fund. After handing me the receipt she walks with us to the waiting room.

 

“Why were you so interested in Justin’s name?” She asks me, I had high hopes she didn’t notice but she always does.

 

“I wanted to see if my husband was really in town.” I tell her, not caring how she takes it. I didn’t expect her to pass out.

 

The doctor who saw Gus runs out and helps Lindsay up. Who then tells the doctor she just got lightheaded from her pregnancy, which was probably something she didn’t mean to say because I sure as hell didn’t know about this, and I doubt Mel does either. The minute it occurs to her what she said she tries to play it off, but until she explains she isn’t leaving my side.

 

“Lindsay, when did you get pregnant?” I ask her as I make her walk with me to the car.

 

“You know when I told you about Sam, well he left a present. I wanted to talk to you about this because Peter, I need your help.” She tells me and there is no way I’m going to do this for her. Mel and I do just fine without her thinking that Lindsay and I went behind her back and got Lindsay pregnant again.

 

“I’m not going to pretend to be the father.” I tell her.

 

“We can just have the same arrangement, you don’t even have to be involved with this one. I just don’t see Mel taking this well, since she never figured out about Sam.” She tells me.

 

“Tell her that you wanted artistic sperm this time, but not that I knocked you up. I’m not kidding, because if Mel shows up pissed, I’m not going to protect you.” I tell her.

 

“All this because you had to make that joke.” She tells me.

 

I buckle Gus into his car seat and get in my car, rolling down the window. “Hey Lindsay.” I yell as she starts back to the hospital. “I wasn’t joking, tell Mel I married her Jewish Mother’s dream, a doctor.” I roll up the window and head home.