- Text Size +

BRIAN

 

Justin was practically asleep in the car on the way back. Warren told me to take care of him and I think he was also telling me he approved. I look at Justin trying to keep his eyes open and part of me wonders if I’m crazy to see this as our life somehow. Jen was behind us with the kids, since there was just nowhere in my car to put them. We pulled up and she carried a sleeping Callie to Daphne and Gus seemed to want Justin to carry him. Jen came down and kissed Gus, and smiled at Justin who fell asleep next to Gus.

 

“He always drops where ever when he’s had long days.” She tells me.

 

“I can’t say anything, since we met again it’s been nothing but a huge rollercoaster ride.” I tell her.

 

“Brian, I hope you realize my father likes the idea of you two.” She tells me seriously.

 

“Warren doesn’t always get what he wants, right now we’re feeling around in the dark.” I tell her.

 

“No matter what happens, I hope you’ll let Gus see us.” I tell her.

 

“I think my son has already decided that.” I tell her as I look at Gus sleeping in Justin’s arms.

 

“He loves kids and they seem to love him just as much.” She smiles as Gus squeezes closer.

 

She kissed my cheek and left as quietly as she came. I grabbed some juice and watched as Gus slept with Justin. Nothing about him would have fit in my life when we married each other, and maybe that’s why I left it alone for the last five years, it’s not like a divorce would have made Kinnetik fail, or even that anybody would have known, it was really just an excuse not to do anything about it. 

 

“Hey, sorry, I didn’t mean to fall asleep.” Justin comes and sits down.

 

“You can stay, Gus seems to think you're his.” I tell him.

 

“Just don’t let Callie hear that, it will get messy.” He tells me, sitting down and yawning.

 

“Seriously, stay, it’s not like I’m going to do anything with Gus here.” I tell him.

 

“Too bad, there were a few things you did that I’d love to try again.” He tells me smiling.

 

“You wanted the date.” I remind him.

 

“Brian, why aren’t Michael and Ben trying to help Hunter?” He asks, leaning back and closing his eyes.

 

“I don’t think either of them understands what it’s like to be abused. Deb might have embarrassed Michael, but she loved him. Ben was an adult when he found out his partner gave him HIV, so he most likely doesn’t remember what assholes kids can be.” I tell him.

 

“If Hunter runs, I’m going after him. He deserves a chance to see that everyone isn’t an asshole.” He tells me, falling asleep. 

 

“Don’t worry, I’ll help.” I whisper, pulling him down with me. 

 

“Dad.” I feel a hand poking me and smell what resembles breakfast. Gus is smiling while he eats toast. “He’s cooking!” Gus tells me running back to the kitchen.

 

“Hey, you know you have like every cooking utensil that a chef would dream up, yet no food.” Justin smirks.

 

“So what, you decided not to let your husband and stepson starve.” I meant it as a joke, but Justin looks at Gus.

 

“I’m a stepdad.” He seems to say to himself.

 

The buzzer going off has Gus running before I can stop him, to let whoever it is in. Opening the door, it’s just Emmett, who is practically skipping in. He’s really been keeping a low profile for Emmett.

 

“I came because I gave you space and now it’s time for me to meet the man of the hour.” Emmett informs me. I just let him in because this is one friend that’s harmless.

 

“Auntie Em, have you met my Daddy?” Gus tells him and Justin smiled at the title.

 

“So are we keeping him?” Emmett asks me.

 

“He’s not a pet.” I tell Emmett.

 

“Please, you and a pet would never happen.” Emmett tells me. I don’t know, in a universe where I was say, an idiot chasing a guy, who knows.

 

“Emmett, right?” Justin asks.

 

“Yep, and hopefully you made enough that I could stay.” Emmett couldn’t have hinted any harder.

 

“I’m still trying to remember I don’t have a village of kids to feed, so yeah there’s enough.” Justin tells him.

 

“Why would you have a village of kids?” Emmett ask him.

 

“I worked for Doctor Without Borders for the last five years. We stayed kind of in the middle of nowhere and well, kids need to eat and Grampy made sure I had what I needed to feed whoever I wanted.” He tells Emmett who looks at me when Justin said Grampy.

 

“His grandfather.” I tell Emmett, because I’m sure he’ll hear about Warren sometime and really Emmett passing out is more than I want to see today.

 

“So if you're free we could shop or something? I’m staying away from shingle boy, but my friend left town so I was going to see if Ted would put me up.” Emmett tells us.

 

“I have to start looking for things for my house, so if you want you can come with me. I need to stop by Mel’s first with some things Daphne got together for her.” Justin tells Emmett.

 

“Can I come?” Gus asks.

 

“What do you think?” I ask Justin. Emmett doesn’t have to act shocked.

 

“I don’t see why not, no fever and the spots aren’t spreading, so just wash your hands before you touch the baby okay.” Justin tells him, sitting Gus down next to a plate.

 

“So you're the one that has the everyone scrambling for gossip, want to share how you married this one?” Emmett asks pointing at me.

 

“Remember Vegas, he’s the guy.” I tell Emmett.

 

“Interesting, but I thought you took care of the problem?” Emmett really thinks Justin doesn’t know about the marriage, well it depends on if we are talking about the actual marriage or that we got married.

 

“Neither of us did.” Justin tells him, guess Emmett got his answer.

 

“I have to get to work, you can drop off Gus when you need to.” I tell Justin, kissing him without realizing it at first.

 

“I’m free today so I’ll just keep him.” Justin tells me.

 

Emmett smirking at me was not really a surprise, but I’m leaning toward the not divorce, so I might as well start as I plan to end.

 

JUSTIN

 

Emmett likes to talk and talk, but it wasn’t catty, just filling silence. 

“So have you meet the gang?” He asks me.

 

“I knew Blake, but I think I’ve meet them all now.” I tell him.

 

“How did you know Blake?” He asks seeming to be less than cheerful about Blake.

 

“He came in to the hospital where I was interning looking for help. I checked up on him and he really wanted it, so I hung out so he’d have a friendly face during the bad days. I’m proud of him for straightening out his life.” I tell him.

 

“He did and it’s just leftover misplaced jealousy. Ted and I broke up while he was in rehab but it was like when Blake showed up, he took the help from Blake and not me. It hurt because I kind of lost a boyfriend and best friend at the time.” He tells me.

 

“You got the best friend back though.” I tell him.

 

“It’s just different now that he’s in a relationship, and the guy I'm sort of with can't let anyone know about me.” He tells me.

 

“I get that, I mean Daphne had Andrew and I really hadn’t met anyone who I saw being around, so I was kind of a dick at first, but Andrew’s really great and he loves Daphne.” I tell him.

 

My phone rang and I saw Granny, so I handed it to Emmett because hey, no answering while driving.

 

“Hello… he’s driving… hold on” Emmett puts it on speaker.

 

“Granny, what’s up?” I ask.

 

“I was wondering if you forgot to introduce me to your husband?” She asks. 

 

“He’s working and I’m kind of busy, can’t you come here, Grampy did?” I remind her.

 

“Yes, smart ass and I'm at your mother's house.” She tells me.

 

“You couldn’t have said that?” I laugh.

 

“Who’s with you?” She asks.

 

“Emmett Honeycutt.” I tell her.

 

“George’s Emmett?” She asks, and really, did Grampy like dig all over Brian’s life.

 

“You knew George?” Emmett asks.

 

“Of course, sorry that you lost him, he was a good man.” She tells Emmett.

 

“Thanks, most people didn’t really know about me.” Emmett tells her.

 

“Virginia’s a very cold woman, you didn’t deserve what she did. Justin bring him, I've always wanted to meet him.” She commands.

 

“Your wish is my bidding, later.” Emmett hangs up at the laughter.

 

“Who was that, I mean other than Granny?” Emmett asks.

 

“Helen and Warren Marston are my grandparents.” I tell him, turning in Mel’s driveway. 

 

“Auntie Em, you okay.” Gus asks.

 

“No wonder Ted’s buying sandwich bags by the box.” Emmett tells us, not really laughing. 

 

Seriously, Ted will get used to Grampy. I knock and Mel answers looking better today. I hugged her because she seemed like a hugger. Emmett was all about Jenny, who Gus smiled at but seem to want his Mama.

 

“Hey baby, I missed you.” Mel tells him hugging him tightly.

 

“Mama, did you know Dad got married?” Gus ask her.

 

“I heard, how are you liking Justin?” She asks him.

 

I went to check her kitchen to see if she needed anything and found Hunter reading a pamphlet.

 

“I got the information about the night school.” He tells me.

 

“You think you might want to give it a try?” I ask not trying to push too hard.

 

“Ben’s fine if I do, Michael isn’t really happy. He keeps saying that it’s life to deal with bullies.” Hunter tells me.

 

“No, it’s stupid to deal with something like that if you don’t have to.” I tell him.

 

“Deb agreed with you, so she wants to go with me and meet the teachers.” He tells me.

 

“Why isn’t your dad going?” I ask, because are they really not going to help him?

 

“Ben has a class that night and he’s trying to get someone to take over for him, but well I think he’s still trying not to rock the boat.” He tells me. Capsize the fucker, that’s my opinion, but you know I think maybe Deb would see this as good for Hunter.

 

“We were going to run errands today you could come.” I offer, Mel’s probably ready to spend time with her kids.

 

“Hunter go have fun.” Mel tells him as she comes in with Gus and the baby. “I need to spend some time with Gus.” She tells me.

 

“Is that okay?” Gus asks, like it might hurt my feelings.

 

“I think it’s great, I can come by later if you want to see your dad.” I tell him.

 

“Okay, but tell Dad I wanted to play with Mama and Jenny.” He tells me running up the stairs.

 

“I think he misses his room.” Mel tells me.

 

“Call if you need us, don’t wait until you're too exhausted.” I tell her.

 

“How did Brian manage to find the one man I could at least like.” She tells me kissing my cheek.

 

“Way too much Tequila and the Beetles.” I tells her.

 

BRIAN

 

Drew Boyd is sitting in my office, and now I’m trying to figure out why Warren sent him. I guess I’ll know when Warren gets off my phone at my desk. Walking in I see the look, and wonder if Warren knows.

 

“Brian meet Drew, we have a problem.” He tells me. 

 

“Unless he got caught, you don't.” I tell him and strange as it would seem apparently I made Grampy proud.

 

“It going to be news tonight.” He tells me. 

 

“Any good agent should have prepared for this, it doesn’t stay hidden when the press follows you.” I tell Drew.

 

“My fiance caught me, and she isn't really thrilled right now.” He tells me.

 

“Getting engaged wasn’t the smartest move. If you sprinkled women all over had a pregnancy scare or two, you could have retired before they figured it out.” I tell him. 

 

“The guy doesn't know yet and I'm worried this could hurt his business.” He tells me. 

 

“Does the name Emmett mean anything to you? Apparently he's with my grandson.” Warren asks. Holy shit, Emmett?