- Text Size +

JUSTIN 

 

I really didn’t need this while I'm working, but I guess I can't pick the people allowed in the hospital. 

 

“Can we talk?” Lindsay asks, sitting with Michael.

 

“Are you sick, because that's normally why people come here?” I ask her.

 

“We just wanted to be able to talk to you without everyone interfering.” Michael tells me. 

 

“You know, running around when you're sick isn’t how to get better.” I tell him. 

 

“My doctor said it's not contagious.” He tells me. 

 

“No, but you risk your health.” I tell him, but since he’s here I figure he should get a check up, because there will be a bill for this conversation.

 

“I want to know why you're making it sound to my Ma like Ben and I are bad parents.” He tells me, when I look at the welts that look like they are starting to disappear.

 

“I call it the way I see it. You do realize that your son isn’t handling the fact that you ignore his needs because you're too busy being worried about everything but him.” I tell him.

 

“It’s just him not wanting to go to school.” He tells me, crossing his arms. Which I uncross and listen to his lungs and heart.

 

“Have you not listened to him when he tells you that people are treating him like a disease and not a person?” I ask, noting his chart.

 

“Everyone had to deal with shit like that.” Michael tells me.

 

“If you could have gone somewhere where you were treated better and shown possible futures would you have?” I ask him.

 

“I had Brian to keep the assholes at bay.” He tells me, and yes we all discussed that one this morning.

 

“Hunter doesn’t have a Brian, so I’m giving him a Justin, unless you and Ben wake up.” I tell him.

 

“Well unlike you, Ben and I don’t have the kind of money a private school costs.” He tells me.

 

“Did you even read the information that Hunter has on the school I suggested?” I ask him, because I made sure that the school was endowed, for this reason.

 

“He said it was some school you suggested and I just assumed you didn’t understand what it’s like to live like a normal person.” He tells me, and I see Lindsay’s been talking about Grampy.

 

“The school is a place for anyone who needs an environment where learning was the only thing that matters. It’s not a private school, like the one that yes, I went to. It’s a private school only in that it’s not considered state funded. Hunter will have to meet qualifications, but I can tell you he does and it won’t cost you anything but the gas it takes to get him there.” I tell him.

 

“Why do you even give a shit about my kid?” He asks.

 

“Because I hate seeing someone give up when he fought so hard to get this far. Michael there has to be some reason you went as far as to adopt Hunter. Think about it, and see that he’s going to need you and Ben to support him and see when he’s having problems.” I tell him.

 

“I’ve been sick, and I’m sorry that I couldn’t be father of the year.” He sneers.

 

“You know, I’m just not going to say that you could have prevented this, because it just doesn’t seem to penetrate. Either help Hunter or I’ll give him a place where he can get help. I’m done with you. Lindsay hop on the table.” I almost laughed when she did just that. I guess they can listen.

 

“Justin, I know I shouldn’t have barged in this morning but I feel like we need to get to know each other for my son’s sake.” She tells me.

 

“Lindsay, have you been seeing your doctor?” I ask, because I’m just not going to have this conversation with her.

 

“I wanted to wait until Mel had Jenny. I didn’t want my doctor telling Mel about this.” She is not really telling me this.

 

“How have you managed your prenatal care?” I ask her.

 

“I got some vitamins off the shelf at the store. I’ve been pregnant before this.” She tells me.

 

“The ones from the shelf don’t always have what you need, so seeing any doctor would have made sure you got what you needed. Are you trying to hurt this baby?” I ask her.

 

“I don’t know what the hell I’m going to do with this baby. I want Mel and I back together but how am I going to get her to forgive me for sleeping with Sam?” She asks me like I’m her therapist.

 

“Have you tried telling her the truth, it goes a long way.” I tell her, because this isn’t abnormal for patients to tell me everything.

 

“You and Mel need to straighten this shit out, because I don’t like that my daughter isn’t being taken care of.” Michael so helpfully adds.

 

“I would, but Ben and Hunter can’t seem to get that Mel can’t miss me if they’re waiting on her hand and foot.” Lindsay tells him.

 

“Well someone has to be there, since you're too busy trying to blame my best friend for your fuck up.” Michael tells her.

 

“If Brian had just gone along with it, then I wouldn’t be having to stay with my parents who want me to get them an invitation to meet Justin’s family.” She tells us.

 

“Tell your parents that my Grampy doesn’t really do the whole social climbing network, and maybe instead of telling Mel she needs to forgive you, learn to say you fucked up.” I tell her, listening to something that says Lindsay needs to see her doctor. “You said you were five months, why?” I ask.

 

“I started showing and Sam and I were together longer than I told Brian. I didn’t want to say that I just broke it off.” Lindsay is just digging deeper into her own grave.

 

“You told me that it was once.” Michael screeches.

 

“Mel and I were having problems and Sam was just easier.” She tells him.

 

“How do you feel about twins?” I ask, and hey, they both shut up.

 

BRIAN

 

Walking into the hospital, I would have loved to say it was because Justin and I were going to spend time together, but no, it’s because my best friends seem to think this is the place to corner Justin. When he texted that it might be a good idea to keep Michael and Lindsay from killing each other, I just grabbed my keys. A nurse waved me over and asked me to follow her.

 

She pointed to a room at the end of a long hallway. Justin was standing outside it shaking his head.

 

“I can’t believe I’m saying this, but I had to separate them.” Justin tells me.

 

“Why not kick them out?” I ask him.

 

“Because Lindsay needs to deal with the fact that Sam left more than one surprise and Michael needed to be kept from harassing Mel.” He tells me.

 

“How did this become your problem?” I ask him.

 

“You know, I think it all started with Michael nuzzling my neck, which led to me marrying a twenty, but it’s kind of hazy.” He tells me pulling me in for a kiss.

 

“Brian, you need to come in here and support me.” Michael tells me. I kissed Justin one last time and entered the fray.

 

“Michael thinks he and Ben should keep Jenny.” Lindsay tells me.

 

“Michael, sit in your chair and both of you shut the hell up.” Justin tells them.

 

“But…” Michael sits down.

 

“You came to my hospital and most likely caused people who really needed to see a doctor to have to wait, because you needed to bitch. I don’t appreciate the waste of time that you two caused. Michael you're not taking very good care of the kid that lives in your house so taking on a baby who will require twenty-four-seven care sounds like more that you can handle. Lindsay, it’s time to make an appointment with a doctor who will monitor this pregnancy. The labs came back and you are immune to chickenpox, which your doctor would have been able to tell you if you had gone to one appointment in the last three months, not five.” I tell her.

 

“So you lied about that too?” I really didn’t need an answer to that one.

 

“What am I supposed to do? Mel isn’t going to want two children from an affair.” Lindsay seems to think Justin and I are going to somehow come up with the solution.

 

“Ben and I will make that decision, you know, like how Brian seemed to marry you without telling me.” Michael tells us.

 

“What the hell does that have to do with you solving your homelife?” Justin asks him. 

 

“How the hell is he Auntie D and Deb’s kid?” Justin asks me.

 

“How do you know about my father and why did you call him Aunie?” Michael asks looking at Justin.

 

“Because Uncle Danny doesn’t like being called Uncle.” Justin tells him.

 

“Why are you calling him anything?” Michael asks crossing his arms.

 

“He’s my Granny’s younger brother, so that makes him my Uncle.” Justin explains as if he’s talking to a small child.

 

Michael didn’t say anything more but got up and ran out of the room and most likely out of the hospital. Lindsay was still sitting there and didn’t seem to get that it was time to go. Well, until she looked at me.

 

“The hospital is expecting payment.” Justin tells me.

 

“Lindsay, you are going to learn to pay your bills.” I tell her.

 

“Brian, without Mel…” Lindsay stops when Justin slams out of the room.

 

I follow him until he reaches the nurses station and watch as Justin calls billing. I grab the phone and hang it up. It’s time that they figure it out on their own.

 

“We only need to worry about things that involve us.” I tell him.

 

“I was just going to put it as my free clinic hours. I have to do them anyway.” Justin tells me.

 

“Which, as you said, would take your time from people who deserve it. Let them understand this is not the place for them to come.” I tell him.

 

“I have to get back, thanks for coming.” Justin tells me standing.

 

“If you call, I’m there, I heard that marriage means being there for each other.” I tell him.

 

“Your doing so much better at this marriage thing.” He tells me, smiling.

 

“When I want something I succeed...” I tell him.

 

“Maybe that’s why I like you.” Justin tells me.

 

“I like you too.” I tell him and for now it’s enough.