- Text Size +

JUSTIN 

 

“Mommy, do you think he's dreaming of taking his most favorite person for ice cream.” Callie asks while peeling my eye open. I snatched her up and tickled her for waking me up from a pretty good dream.

 

“So what caused that smile?” Daphne asks.

 

“I got to live the fantasy.” I tell her over Callie’s shrieking.

 

“So was it up to all you thought it was?” She asks.

 

“Let's just say it lived up to and beyond what I believed.” I tell her. 

 

“Have you figured out what you want to do?” She asks. 

 

“I think I'm more confused. It doesn't help that my family likes him.” I tell her. 

 

“I want ice cream.” Callie tells me. At nine in the morning.

 

“We have to wait until after lunch, your mom's rule.” I tell her. 

 

“Mommy can make her favorite wait.” Callie informs us. Nothing like jealousy to get Callie to warm up to Andy.

 

“Baby, Andy can't do things like you can.” Daphne tells her.

 

“I'm moving into Uncle Justy’s house, he loves me best.” She tells us. 

 

“Sorry kiddo, but since I had to give birth to you, you have to stay.” Daphne tells her.

 

“Uncle Justy needs a kid, so I decided you can keep Smelly Andy. I'm going with him.” She tells us, running out of my room.

 

There are days I just don’t envy Daphne. I've always been saddened by the fact that kids were something I would never have naturally with with a partner. It led to me deciding to adopt someday, because blood doesn’t make a child mine. 

 

“I really don't know what to do. She barely looks at Andy.” Daphne tells me. 

 

“Give her time, we spoiled her so much that I think it's hard for her to understand you can love more that just her.” I tell her. 

 

“So are you staying here or is this just a place to crash?” She asks. 

 

“My house, or the insane house Grampy bought, is getting done, so I'm crashing for now.” I tell her. 

 

Daphne sits next to me sighing. “Why do we have to grow up?” She asks.

 

“Because you married the love of your life.” I tell her. 

 

“But I just always saw us staying together.” She tells me. 

 

“I'm not leaving you, just allowing you and Andrew to build a life with your family. As much as I would love to live with you guys, it's time for you to see Andrew as your confidant. He doesn’t make an issue of the fact that you run to me when you're upset, but I think he's waiting for you to run to him.” I tell her. 

 

“He loves you too.” She tells me. 

 

“I know, but I think it's time for us to see what it's like to let Andrew have the family you married him to have.” I tell her. 

 

“You’re a part of it.” She tells me.

 

“I’ll always be there, but I need to see if maybe there’s something out there for me too.” I tell her. 

 

“You mean if Brian could be someone you want.” She tells me.

 

“I mean that I need to give Brian and me a chance to see if this crazy marriage can work.” I tell her.

 

“What’s he like?” She asks

 

“He’s different from the other guys I’ve been with. Grampy doesn’t bother him, he seems to value honesty and I think one of the things that made me want to give him a chance was how he loves his son. He loves Gus without conditions.” I tell her.

 

“Unlike Craig.” She tells me putting her arm around me.

 

“Dad just refuses to see me.” I tell her.

 

“Does Brian see you?” She asks me.

 

“I’ve let him into my world, which he hasn’t taken advantage of. He actually refused Grampy trying to give him half the Ironmen.” I tell her.

 

“Are you two done?” Callie comes in wearing her favorite princess shirt.

 

BRIAN

 

Meeting Justin’s father was not like meeting the rest of his family. I could tell Warren would rather be anywhere than sitting in my office getting his ass kissed by the jackass.

 

“Warren, it’s like you forget we still share family.” Craig tells him jokingly.

 

“I was telling Justin just the other day how it always amazes me that you're actually his father.” Warren smiled, but only an idiot wouldn’t have seen that he wasn’t kidding.

 

“Hopefully Molly will follow us into business one day.” Craig, the idiot, tells him.

 

“Is there a reason you're here at Brian’s office?” Warren asks him.

 

“I actually came to talk to Brian about something a friend’s daughter told me. Which I’m sure you’ll agree with me, that we should  handle Justin’s mistake quietly.” Craig tells Warren.

 

“What mistake would that be?” Warren asks, and I could almost wonder, but don’t, how Warren being in my office seems to make Craig see any possibility of Warren helping him.

 

“I had a file prepared and I think you should read the kind of man my son is involved with.” Craig tells him and now the briefcase makes sense. Craig is here to smear me.

 

“I doubt that’s going to tell me anything I don’t already know.” Warren tells Craig.

 

“He’s the owner of a club that allows men to commit disgusting acts of perversion in the club. According to what my investigator found, he’s not the kind of man you want blackening your family name. Justin needs to know the kind of person he’s befriending.” He tells Warren. 

 

“You mean the man your son married?” I ask. 

 

“I mean the man that hopefully Warren would see as a liability to my son’s future. So that he will agree that this unfortunate mistake should be taken care of promptly.” He tells us.

 

“How did you decide that Brian’s a liability?” Warren asks.

 

“Justin doesn’t need to continue this idea that he’s… not... not... normal.” Craig tells him.

 

“You mean that he likes dick?” I ask.

 

“I mean that he could have a normal life with a woman.” Craig tells me.

 

“Which won’t happen Dad.” Justin tells him from the doorway.

 

“Justin, I think we need to talk about you coming to the fundraiser. I think it would look better if you showed up with me and Diana. You could escort your step sister, Gina.” Craig tells him.

 

“Brian and I already agreed to show up with Mom and Tuck. Gina can come with Molly, if she needs an escort at fourteen.” Justin tells him.

 

“Couldn’t you for once, support my family?” Craig tells him.

 

“Only if you support mine.” Justin tells him, pulling me into a kiss.

 

“Warren do you really want our set to see that?” Craig was looking anywhere but at us.

 

“Maybe if your set sees what it’s like to actually love someone, they’d quit marrying only to get standing, the way you seem to.” Warren tells him.

 

“I didn’t marry Jen for standing.” Craig tells Warren.

 

“You didn’t marry her because you loved her either. I’m just glad that my daughter finally saw you for the man you are.” Warren tells him.

 

“Jen left me because I felt that we should get Justin help.” Craig tells us.

 

“It’s not like a cold Dad, soup and a bed won’t cure it.” Justin tells him.

 

“I only wanted you to have the things that being this way is going to deny you.” Craig tells him.

 

“The only thing I won’t have is a child that is both of us, but there are lots of kids out there that need parents, so I can have that.” Justin tells him.

 

“I’m sure Warren would want a heir who is tied by blood.” Craig should just give up.

 

“Oh, I guess I thought it was about wanting to be a father, my mistake.” Justin tells him. 

 

“Of course it is, but bringing a child from who knows where into the kind of life you were raised in is just cruel to someone who will always be an outsider. Justin, I'm willing to accept your… lifestyle, but I think there are better candidates than, and no offence Kinney, a man who came from his background.” Craig tells him.

 

“You mean if I had picked someone like your pal Robert’s son, my being gay would have worked for you?” Justin asks. 

 

“At least it wouldn't be with, as my investigation shows, a slut, who fucks anyone.” Craig tells him.

 

“Let's not go there Dad.” Justin tells him. 

 

“I agree with Justin, Craig. You fucking half your staff doesn’t mean that you should call Brian anything, especially when it’s a name you could apply to yourself. I have the report for that, if you'd like to read it… guess not.” Warren tells Craig as he stands up and walks out.

 

“I guess you just need to learn the right way to be gay.” I tell Justin.

 

“You want to teach me how to be the best homosexual I can be?” He asks.

 

“Justin, flirt with your husband later, he has a business to run.” Warren winks. 

 

“Grampy you just take all the fun out of marriage.” Justin tells him. 

 

MICHAEL 

 

I spent the whole night in my room trying to see how I felt about that shithead being related to me. He grew up privileged and spoiled, while I was lucky if I got new clothes every year. My father was there for him, not me. How the fuck is that fair?

 

Ma was making breakfast when I came down and I think she should be angry that while we were struggling, my father could have made our lives easier.

 

“It looks like you're less blotchy.” She tells me. 

 

“I found out that MY FATHER could have made our lives easier.” I tell her. 

 

“Michael, he is never going to be what you wanted. Danny was a confused kid who never meant to hurt us.” She tells me.

 

“So you're finally ready to face the truth. That you got knocked up by him and I actually have a living father?” I ask, pissed.

 

“You knew that it was true, but you let it go, so I did too.” She tells me.

 

“He didn’t have anything to offer then.” I tell her.

 

“He still doesn’t Michael.” She tells me.

 

“He could of helped us out, but seems to only care about that blond asshole. He’s my father and yet I don’t even get to use the title, but JUSTIN can call him family.” I tell her.

 

“He’s Justin’s uncle, which means he is Justin’s family too.” She tells me.

 

“I’m his son and should come first.” I tell her.

 

“All sons should come first, but that’s a lesson you need to learn yourself.” She tells me slamming a plate down.

 

“I’m talking about ME!” I tell her.

 

“I want to talk about your son, so you’ll just have to deal with that.” She tells me.

 

“This is all Justin’s fault for filling Hunter’s head with shit that wasn’t there.” I tell her.

 

“Hunter needs for his fathers to stop being so unaware of him.” She tell me.

 

“Oh, did the Doctor tell you that?” I sneer.

 

“I opened my ears and listened to Hunter. You’ve been running around acting like Jenny made Hunter less important. It’s time for you to be the father you promised him when you and Ben adopted him.” She tells me.

 

“I only adopted him to make Ben happy!” I yell.

 

“Well, I guess I know now.” Hunter says from behind me.

 

“I didn’t mean that the way it sounded.” I yell when Hunter runs out of the house.

 

“MICHAEL, go after him and tell him that you were just running your mouth.” Ma tells me.

 

“He’ll be back.” I tell her, and know it for the lie that it is. 

 

JUSTIN

 

I came back with lunch for Brian and Grampy, when my phone beeped. It wasn’t a number I recognized.

 

“He never wanted me.” Came in text.

 

“Brian, whose number is this?” I ask, showing him my phone.

 

Before he could answer, his phone went off and Ted came in.

 

“Brian, Ben…” Ted stopped when Brian held his hand up.

 

“We’ll find him.” Brian tells her hanging up. “Justin, call that number and see if Hunter will answer you.” Brian tells me.

 

“First tell me why he sent this.” I tell him.

 

“Michael seemed to think yelling that Ben was the only reason he went through with the adoption was something Hunter needed to hear.” He tells me.

 

“Ben said Hunter showed up and grabbed his stuff and left without talking to him.” Ted tells us.

 

I called the number, trying not show how I really felt about this. Brian came over and put his arms around me while I hoped the phone would get answered. 

 

“Sorry, for bothering you.” Hunter tells me.

 

“How about coming to my house and hanging out while my Granny and Mom drive me nuts.” I tell him.

 

“You don’t need my shit.” He tells me.

 

“As your cousin, it’s like only right that we share in the torture of decorating.” I tell him.

 

“Yeah, I heard about that, but I’m not really…”

 

“Don’t disappoint women who need another child to hen peck.” I tell him.

 

“I guess I could keep them from turning it to Home and Garden.” He tells me, and I’m going to call this a victory for now.

 

“Please, they are so Martha Stewart, which is worse. So come to Kinnetik and join forces with the males of the family. We are few, and they are many.” I tell him.

 

“With Brian, you don’t need more.” He tells me hanging up.

 

“Michael is just losing more points in any possibility that I’m going to be happy he’s related to me.” I tell Brian.

 

Grampy had the look that seemed to agree with me.