- Text Size +

BRIAN

 

I finally left Kinnetik and hate that I didn’t get out of there until almost ten at night. I tried to call Justin but Warren told me that Justin doesn’t answer his phone when he’s in the hospital. When he did call me, I couldn’t talk to him because Drew’s ex went on another smear interview. This time with pictures, to make Emmett more recognizable. Drew and I had to find Emmett, who like Justin, wasn’t answering. We got lucky that Blake got them in the rehab center before the press could corner Emmett. Now I’m coming home to a hopefully not pissed off Justin.

 

Opening the door, I groan when I see the candles on the table and the table set for dinner. He did this and I didn’t show. The loft was empty and I knew I would have to make this up to him. Walking into the bedroom, there he was, sound  asleep. I quietly walked into the bathroom and took a shower. When I came out he wasn’t in bed, but I heard him in the kitchen area. I really wasn’t sure what I’d be walking into, I’ve never been in a relationship, so this is new territory for me.

 

“Hey, I sort of crashed when I came here, but I’m warming up dinner for you.” He tells me, smiling.

 

“You didn’t have to.” I tell him.

 

“I ate already, but you need to eat, cancer takes everything from your body and it could be years before you really recover.” He tells me.

 

He hands me a red curry chicken with vegetables. “This is really mild and should be easy on you. You said you like Thai, but it doesn’t have to be spicy to still be good.” He tells me.

 

Putting the plate down, I pull him to me. “I’m sorry I didn’t make it here in time to eat with you.” I tell him, because sorry isn’t bullshit, when I mean it.

 

“Brian, I understand that sometimes work will interfere with your life and you never have to apologize when you have to work. It’s something else you’ll deal with when I work. My practice isn’t going to be just nine to five, if there is an emergency, I run to work, regardless of what’s going on in my life.” He tells me.

 

“So I married a workaholic?” I ask, looking into his eyes to see if he’s really okay with me not coming home.

 

“I’ve never been able to sit on my ass. My family are all kind of workaholics.” He tells me.

 

“I’m going to be working around the clock to get this off the ground.” I tell him.

 

“Sit down and at least eat while you talk.” He tells me, taking the plate to the table. I look at the candles and pull out my lighter and light them. I can give him this, even if I wasn’t here.

 

“Do you need to cancel this weekend, because I will understand.” He tells me.

 

“I want us to have this time to really talk and get to know each other. What I'm doing with Drew won't happen overnight, so it can wait.” I tell him.

 

“It's killing you that I won't let you tell me, isn't it?” He asks 

 

“I'm starting to understand Emmett, I have this thing that I want to tell and it's killing me.” I tell him.

 

“Is it going to happen?” He asks.

 

“Yes. And it's going to be more than a publicity stunt.” I tell him. 

 

“Then tell me, because it's already a done deal.” He tells me. 

 

“It started with you. I couldn’t just not look when I drove by, and in that moment I could see there was a way to help everyone. I want you to know that seeing your reaction to something that I just saw as a fact of life, made me see it didn’t have to be this way. What we're planning is an outreach center that can assist runaways by offering help. They don't have to do anything but walk through the door and ask. Drew is going to be the face of the campaign, but he doesn't get to just read lines and smile for the cameras. He's going to be available to talk to the kids, show them he cares. It's not going to end for him if it gets him out of his mess, because he tries to pull out, I'll let him burn.” I tell him. 

 

“Why are you doing this?” He asks me. 

 

Part of me wanted to give him my standard asshole response, but if I want a life with him, he needs to see the me I've hidden. 

 

“For me, I'm doing it for the kids out there who, like me, had a life that became to hard. I had Deb to keep me from becoming a kid on the street with no future. They don't, because if they did they wouldn't be out there, but somewhere safe. You made me see that.” I tell him. 

 

“I love that you didn't try to act like it was about me.” He tells me. 

 

“You're the cause for me to look for the cure.” I tell him. 

 

Justin got up and came over to me, then cupped his hands on my face. “I married an amazing man.” He tells me as he put his lips over mine. Pulling him down on my lap, I got lost in him. The banging on my door wasn’t how I wanted this night to continue. Hearing Ted asking to come in, meant that it was important. It's just, Justin needs to be more important.

 

“It's okay, we have the weekend.” He tells me as his phone goes off.

 

I kiss him one more time before either of us has to deal with things outside of us. Justin gets up and answers his phone, but looked confused at the number. I let Ted in, but when I heard Justin say Mel, I needed to know that Gus was okay.

 

“How high?” He asks. “When did she start to get fussy… look I'll come there… it's not a problem… Mel calm down, she might just have a cold or ear infection… sit tight, I'm on my way.” He tells her hanging up.

 

“Jenny?” I ask. 

 

“Yes. I think Mel's still a little overwhelmed by doing this alone.” He tells me. 

 

“I'll come, Gus might need me.” I tell him. 

 

“Brian there's something you need to know.” Ted tells me. 

 

“It can wait, but my son won't.” I tell him. 

 

“Brian, you know how you said you could love me?” Justin asks. “I think I could to.” He tells me. 

 

JUSTIN 

 

Ted got in my car as I drove to Mel's house. I'm starting to see why people distance themselves from certain family members.

 

“I don’t even understand why Michael did this.” Ted mumbles.

 

“If you get around to telling me then maybe I could guess.” Brian says sarcastically.

 

“I only found out because Blake has a friend that is dating a reporter.” He tells us. Brian’s groan said he didn't like that reporter and Michael were in the same sentence.

 

“TED.” He growled, when Ted seemed to not want to say anything.

 

“How could he do this to Emmett?” Ted asks.

 

“Ted, I need facts, not your inner monologue.” He tells him.

 

“I know, I know, but shit, I think Warren actually started to like me and how is he going to feel when he figures out that I’m friends with someone who could do this kind of shit. Oh God..” He starts hyperventilating. 

 

“TED, look at me.” I tell him when I stop the car and turn to him. “Take a deep breath then slowly blow it out, good, now do it again.” I waited until his breath evened out. “Grampy won’t judge you for being someone’s friend, he only judges you when you do something.” I tell him, because I’m used to the worship that is Grampy’s following.

 

“Before Justin has to save you from a massive coronary, am I to understand that Michael talked to reporters?” He asks Ted.

 

“Yes, but I don’t know what he said, just that it had to do with Emmett.” Ted tells him.

 

“Which means he opened his mouth and fucked Emmett over. We have to let Warren know, and Emmett.” Brian tells him.

 

“This is going to kill Emmett.” He tells Brian.

 

“No, it’s going to teach Emmett that right now, no one is really his friend.” Brian tells him.

 

“I would never have done this to Emmett.” Ted tells him.

 

“Ted what do you think we were working on today, we are using Emmett to save Drew. Right now you think it’s all about a building and Drew, but Emmett is going to have to be more than ‘the wedding planner who screwed the groom’. He’s going to have act as though it was love, not a role in the hay for Drew.” Brian tells him.

 

“I think Drew really loves Emmett.” Ted tells him and I don’t agree.

 

“If Drew loves Emmett he wouldn’t have hidden anything, he would have broken up with the ex and quietly dated Emmett. You don’t have a piece on the side if you love someone.” Brian tells him.

 

“Sometimes it’s being scared of who you really are.” Ted tells him.

 

“Sometimes it just fucking around.” I tell Ted.

 

“So you don’t think he loves Emmett?” Ted asks me.

 

“I think he might now, but I doubt it was more than he wanted a man and Emmett was there.” I tell him.

 

“How do you think Warren is going to take Michael running to a reporter?” Ted asks us.

 

“Grampy knows that things aren’t always going to work the way he wants them to, but he’s not going to be happy that Michael is causing more problems.” I tell him.

 

I park in Mel’s driveway and see her standing at the door with a crying baby. Gus was sitting on the steps until Brian got out and he ran and jumped to his dad.

 

“Hey sonnyboy, you're up late.” Brian tells him, kissing his head.

 

“Jenny was crying really loud. I wanted to help Mama.” He tells Brian.

 

“I’m so sorry that I called.” Mel tells me.

 

“I’m not. Let me look at her and we’ll see if we need to get to the hospital.” I tell her.

 

“I’m going to take Gus up and see if I can get him to sleep.” Brian tells her.

 

“I’m not sleepy Dad.” Gus tells him with closed eyes and head on his shoulder.

 

After checking and seeing Jenny only had an ear infection, I wrote out instructions for Mel, who admitted that Lindsay was the one who handled everything when it came to Gus.

 

“You're a single mom unless you and Lindsay get back together, so call me when you need me and I’ll try to make the transition easier.” I tell her, before going up to see Brian. Ted came in and sat with Mel.

 

“Tell Brian, Warren managed to get a copy of the interview and it’s not good.” He tells me.

 

When I walk in I see Brian laying next to Gus, just smiling at Gus as he sleeps. It’s something beautiful to see.

 

“I never thought I would love him.” Brian tells me not looking away from Gus.

 

“Why?”

 

“He didn’t fit in with the life I planned. It was just, the minute I held him, it was like I knew him and I wanted him to have a life full of happiness and love. I wanted him to have the things that I never did.” He tells me.

 

“So you gave him your love.” I tell him.

 

“I gave him what I never gave anyone, my unconditional love.” He tells me.

 

Walking in I sat on the other side of Gus and leaned over to kiss Brian. “You know, it’s really special that he got you for a father.” I tell him.

 

When Ted came to the doorway, I knew it was time for Brian to become the spin doctor. I kissed Gus and held out my hand for Brian. I’m going to give him what he’s going to need if he loses a friend. My unconditional support.