- Text Size +

BRIAN

 

When we finally signed the last piece of paper joining everything, it seemed that Warren brought company. I looked up to see Helen, Deb, and Danny come in.

 

“Mel, I want to suggest something that might not be what you're going to like.” Granny tells her.

 

“Right now I’ll listen to anything.” Mel tells her.

 

“Call Michael and Lindsay and tell them that you're willing to let them have the kids.” Granny tells us.

 

Even I didn’t know what the hell she was thinking to suggest that. I look at Justin, trying to see if he had a clue. His look of ‘are you crazy’ told me that he was as lost as I was here.

 

“It’s not like this is going to court or mediation today or tomorrow. So right now you let them all have what they want. The catch is that Jenny is breast feed, so they have to come to you every two to four hours to feed her. Other than what they've given you for Jenny, they get nothing from you. No clothes, diapers, blankets, nothing. They want the responsibility then give it to them.” She tells us. 

 

“You also mention that you're requesting child support from all of them, until custody is decided.” Warren tells us.

 

“I agreed to forgo support.” Mel tells him. 

 

“Michael agreed to let you raise your daughter. He's backing out of his agreement, so it's void.” I tell her. 

 

“Lindsay’s going to bring up the support you pay.” She tells me. 

 

“I gifted you the money for my son.” I tell her, understanding where Granny was going with this.

 

“Exactly, because unless you and Lindsay make Brian legally responsible for Gus, he doesn't owe anyone a dime.” Warren tells her. 

 

“Which will make it easier to get my rights re-established, with the added stipulation that Justin is one of Gus’s fathers.” I tell her. 

 

“I want to add that I’m not going to be helping Michael when this blows up in his face.” Deb tells us.

 

“You don’t think he’s going to show up and expect you to help? Deb, you know you couldn’t leave Jenny if she needed you.” Helen tells her.

 

“Carl wants to go see his children, and I think it’s the perfect week for us to do that. We will be leaving once Jenny is with her fathers.” Deb tells us.

 

“The only problem I see with this is that Lindsay doesn’t have any place for Gus right now.” Mel tells us.

 

“I won’t let her use my loft.” I tell them.

 

“Lindsay has to have a place for Gus with his own room, in order for you to say yes. Brian, you need to let Mel deal with this on her own with Michael, because I have a feeling that he wanted you involved, that’s why he agreed to do this with Lindsay.” Helen tells us.

 

“Why?” I ask.

 

“My son still believes that you’ll eventually return to the fold. He really doesn’t see Justin as an obstacle, but an annoyance. If you show up, it gives him what he wants from you.” Danny tells me.

 

“So how do we do this?” Mel asks.

 

“You and I are going to my house to get Jenny and drop her off. You need to give Michael a list of times he needs to show up so Jenny can be fed, and during those times he is to drop her off and wait for you to tell him he can come back and get her. I hope they have diapers.” Deb tells us smiling.

 

“Your enjoying this aren’t you?” Justin asks her.

 

“He’s basically saying that I shouldn’t have been the one raising him, so since he seem to know so much, let’s see how he and Ben deal with this.” Deb tells him, and I know it hurts her.

 

I got up and put my arms around her. “You’re a great mother.” I whisper to her.

 

“Fucking right I am, I just should have shoved my foot up his ass while slapping sense in that boy.” Deb tells me, rallying.

 

MICHAEL

 

Ben came in and didn’t seem to be upset, he just took off his coat and sat down.

 

“So did Brian and Justin say anything?” I ask.

 

“Nothing good, I guess someone called Brian and told him that we wanted Jenny. I was pretty much told to get out.” He tells us. “What were you two talking about?” He asks.

 

“I just think with Jenny living here, that it’s time for Lindsay to find a place for herself.” I tell him.

 

“It would make sense, we only have three bedrooms, so it would be better for you to find a more permanent place to live.” Ben tells her.

 

“Since Hunter seems to be staying with Deb, I can use his room.” Lindsay tells us.

 

“I’m planning on getting Hunter to come back home. It wouldn’t look good in court that he isn’t living here.” I tell her.

 

“We also need to be the ones taking Hunter to the school, I thought we could do that tonight.” Ben tells me.

 

“I just feel like we are rewarding him for running off, but I agree with you, if he’s willing to go to any school, it’s better than dropping out.” I tell him.

 

“Lindsay, just start looking for a place, until then you can stay.” Ben tells her, getting up to answer the door.

 

Lindsay and I got up when I heard Mel and Ma and went to see what was going on.

 

“Look if you're here to argue, we can do that in court.” Ben tells Mel. 

 

“Not at all, since you both feel you can do this, I’m willing to give you a chance to do it. I made a list of Jenny’s feeding times, because you’ll need to get her to me so I can feed her. The only thing I’m going to ask is that you not stay during the feedings but be available to take her back when she’s done. I just finished and she’s napping so the next couple hours should be easy for you. I packed all the things you gave me for Jenny, because I’m sure you need them to take care of her.” Mel says, as Ma hands me the bag. 

 

“Did you put some bottles in here?” Lindsay asks, looking through the bag when I handed it to her to take Jenny.

 

“No, because Jenny is only getting breastmilk, and I feel it’s better for her to be brought to me.” Mel tells us, turning and leaving without another word.

 

“Well Michael, you wanted to prove two fathers were better than a single mother, here’s your chance.” Ma tells me, closing my door.

 

“They act like it’s going to be a big deal.” I tell Ben, while he’s reading the note Mel gave us.

 

“They didn’t bring anything but toys.” Lindsay tells me, emptying the diaper bag.

 

“Those are the things Ben and I bought for Jenny.” I tell her.

 

“Which would be wonderful, as long as she doesn’t need a diaper change or change of clothes. There isn’t a single bottle to feed Jenny with and where do you plan on putting her tonight?” Lindsay asks.

 

“How does she think Jenny’s going to eat tonight?” I ask. 

 

“According to the schedule she left, we have to bring Jenny to her.” Ben tells me, looking back at the note. “She also feels that since we want Jenny to live here, that we need to start buying the things she needs.” He tells me.

 

“What?” I ask, when he looks up at me.

 

“She's also asking for child support until we go to court.” He tells me. 

 

“She told me that we didn't have to pay support.” I tell him. 

 

“Let me finish, there is also a stipulation that you have to take out a life insurance policy for Jenny, and that we cover half the medical expenses for Jenny.” He tells me, as Lindsay hands me Jenny and starts to leave.

 

“Where are you going? Ben and I have to take Hunter to that school, you need to watch Jenny for us.” I tell her. 

 

“I need to find out about Gus, so take her with you.” She tells me, leaving.

 

Jenny woke up and grunted. I smiled until the smell made it to my nose. “I think she shit.” I tell Ben who looked at the pile that didn’t include diapers. 

 

LINDSAY 

 

What the hell is going on, Mel handing Jenny over without a fight? There is no way Mel wouldn't fight. I drove to her house to see cars in the driveway. Justin and Brian were sitting outside watching Gus play with Callie. Mel must have just made it back because she was standing with Helen, talking. When Gus saw me he ran over.

 

“Mom, are you coming to visit?” He asks.

 

“I wanted to talk to Mama about you, I think you should live with me.” I tell him. 

 

“Are you coming home?” He asks.

 

“No lambskin.” I tell him. 

 

“Gus, Granny says we can have cookies now.” Callie informs him.

 

“Go ahead, I need to talk to your Mama and Dad.” I tell him. 

 

I follow Gus until I reach Mel and Brian, but before I can say anything Mel does.

 

“Are you here to pick up Gus?” She asks.

 

“No, I’m here to find out what you think you're doing.” I tell her.

 

“I’m trying to make the transition for Jenny and Gus easier. We are all going to be sharing the children, so I wanted to show that I was willing to be reasonable.” Mel tells me.

 

“By not giving Michael any way to feed or care for Jenny?” I asks her.

 

“I’m available to feed her and they really need to have the things Jenny needs if they want to be able to take care of her.” She tells me.

 

“Since when did you start expecting child support?” I ask.

 

“Since they decided they were going to be fathers. Which you and I need to discuss too.” She tells me.

 

“Why do we need to discuss it?” I ask her.

 

“Until you have a place Gus can live, I’m going to be the one who has him and you're going to need to help support our son.” She tells me.

 

“Then I’ll take Gus and you can help me.” I tell her.

 

“Only if I approve of where he’s going, so have you found a place to live?” She asks me.

 

“Not yet, I’m staying with Ben and Michael.” I tell her.

 

“Why aren’t you staying at your parents?” She asks.

 

“Because they were pissed about me getting pregnant again by Brian.” I tell her.

 

“Which you’re not, so what’s the problem?” Brian asks, walking over.

 

“I couldn’t tell them I lied, so I left. I’m going to need you to help me find a place for Gus and I.” I tell him.

 

“No.” He tells me.

 

“Brian, Gus needs a place to live.” I tell him.

 

“Which Mel provides, I really don’t have any say in that.” He tells me, and you know he’s right.

 

“Maybe since Mel and I aren’t together it’s time for you and I to change some things.” I tell him.

 

“Lindsay, it has nothing to do with me, only you and Mel can change anything. I already told Mel if she needs anything for Gus to let you know, since I waived that right.” He tells me.

 

“I need help finding an apartment.” I tell him.

 

“Maybe your little family can help with that, I’m busy with my new family.” Brian tells me, walking away.

 

“You and I need to make an appointment with our lawyers to work on custody and the divorce, so call me when you want Gus and I’ll make sure he’s available, unless you want to take him now.” She tells me.

 

“I want to but right now I don’t have any place to take him.” I tell her.

 

“Call when you do, or if you just want to visit.” She tells me. “Lindsay, even though I’m not thrilled with what you and Michael seem to want to do, Gus still needs you.” She tells me.

 

“Then don’t make it harder for me to see him.” I tell her, going to my car.

 

“I wasn’t, I'm doing what you and Michael seem to think is best.” She tells me, going inside with the others. 

 

How did they change the rules on us?