- Text Size +

JUSTIN 

 

Brian came to pick me up from the hospital in my car. He came by and got the car last night, telling me that he didn’t want me driving after working all night. We had a late dinner together and he told me that he wanted to talk about the loft. He owned the building and thought about renting it, but I could see it meant a lot to him. We both saw it as a place we could use when we wanted to get away and be left alone. While I was waiting I talked to Mel and wasn’t surprised when she told me about Jenny. I got in the car and told Brian.

 

“Michael dropped Jenny off last night and never came back to pick her up.” I tell him. 

 

“It was what we all expected. When Ben showed up to tour the school with Hunter, after Ted and I took him, I got the feeling it wasn’t as easy as they dreamed it would be. By the way, I like what Ms Martinez is doing there.” He tells me. 

 

“It would have made my life easier if I’d had something like that.” I tell him. 

 

“She mentioned that and said for you to drop by and see her.” He tells me. 

 

“I keep meaning to, but my husband is taking up a lot of my free time.” I tell him, smiling.

 

“It’s such a hardship to have to worship at my feet.” He smirks.

 

“Speaking of dropping by, do you mind if we stopped by Mel's?” I ask. 

 

“I figured you'd want to, so I picked up breakfast. I thought we could drive Gus to school.” He tells me. 

 

We pulled up to Mel's and almost left. Michael was standing at her door. I looked over at the car beside us and Lindsay and Ben were in it.

 

“We could come back.” I tell him. 

 

“I'm here to see Gus and them being here doesn't change that.” He tells me, getting out of the car and grabbing the bags he brought with breakfast. 

 

When the doors closed it was as if whatever he was saying to Mel didn’t matter. Brian walked by without saying anything. I think Mel was surprised when Brian pulled her in the door and shut it in Michael's face. Not that it stopped Michael, who opened the door and came in.

 

“Brian you could have waited until I came in.” Michael tells him. 

 

“Normally when a door is shut in someone’s face they get a clue that they weren't invited in.” Mel tells him. 

 

Which just made it more relevant when Lindsay and Ben walked in without knocking.

 

“I need to get to work, so can we just get Jenny without the big production?” Ben asks. 

 

“I was explaining to Michael that it's time to feed Jenny again. Which you would know if you read the schedule I gave you. I would also appreciate it if you would knock when you come here, since this is not your home.” Mel tells him. 

 

“Mel this is all bullshit, and all it proves to us is that you aren’t willing to share Jenny.” Lindsay tells us.

 

“I think I’ve been very accommodating. You were the one who talked about how breastfeeding is beneficial to a baby. I wanted Jenny to have the same things that we did with Gus.” Mel tells her.

 

“Yes but you could express the milk and not make Michael and Ben have to run back and forth like this.” She tells Mel.

 

“I don’t want to lose that bonding time, like you told me. Remember when you stayed home instead of letting anyone take care of Gus?” Mel asks her.

 

“Mel, Justin and I are going to help Gus get ready and breakfast will be in the kitchen.” I tell her.

 

“It might be a good idea for all of us to sit down and talk about how this is going to work.” Michael tells us.

 

“Justin and I are here to see Gus, that’s how it’s going to work. I bought breakfast for Mel, Justin, Gus, and I, sorry didn’t realize I needed to feed your family too.” Brian tells him walking into the kitchen.

 

“I’m sure there’s something we can make.” Lindsay tells us.

 

“I’m sure there is but since you don’t live here and have yet to contribute any support, you don’t need to worry about making anything in my house.” Mel tells her.

 

“Mel, we need to find a way to get along.” Ben tells her.

 

“I’m letting you take my daughter and helped by giving you a schedule for feedings, how am I not getting along?” Mel asks sweetly.

 

“You dropped her off without food, clothes, or diapers, I don’t see that as getting along.” Michael tells her.

 

“I have those things for Jenny, and it’s not my responsibility to give them to you. You both want to claim that you're ready to be fathers, well it means having things your child needs when your child needs them. Which reminds me, we do need to talk about child support, at least until the court decides who would be the better parents.” Mel tells them.

 

Brian and I go upstairs to get Gus. Ben followed us upstairs, which didn’t really thrill Brian. 

 

“I get that what Michael and I wanted isn’t making anyone happy, but I just feel…” Ben stopped when Brian walked off.

 

“In case you're not getting this, he doesn’t care what you and Michael think.” I tell him.

 

“I don’t want this to become a war.” Ben tells me.

 

“I don’t really get you, you’re standing here saying you don’t want to cause any problems but are causing them anyway. To me it seems like you want to act like what you're doing is best for Jenny. How do you see that, when it seems like you and Michael did nothing to prepare to take Jenny?” I ask.

 

“We were going to get what we needed when we got custody.” He tells me.

 

“IF you got custody, not when. Then again you were able to adopt Hunter, so who knows, if a judge will somehow see you as potential parents for a baby. I guess when Hunter is asked about it, maybe he’ll lie and say how wonderful it’s been to have fathers who are self-absorbed.” I tell him.

 

“You don’t know me or Michael well enough to say something like that.” He tells me.

 

“I’m only calling it how I see it. I do have one question.” I tell him.

 

“Go ahead, seeing as you seem to think you're an expert.” He tells me.

 

“If you're going to work and I assume Michael has to open his shop, who’s keeping Jenny?” I ask him.

 

“We were going to call Deb, and see if she could.” He tells me.

 

“Lindsay’s not helping you?” I ask.

 

“Lindsay has to work today too.” He tells me.

 

“So you're going to DUMP Jenny off on someone while you all go to work?” I ask.

 

“We aren’t DUMPING Jenny off, but since everyone decided to try to show us we couldn’t do this, we are going to prove we can.” He tells me.

 

“I’m just wondering what the difference is to you in Mel relying on family, which seems to make it look like she can’t handle it, but when you and Michael do it, it’s responsible.” I tell him. “You don’t need to tell me, it’s that it’s only right if you and Michael do it.” I leave him standing there as Brian carries Gus by down the stairs. 

 

Only I guess Michael was worked up because it was no longer talking but yelling.

 

“I don’t fucking care that you think breast milk is best, it’s not going to be convenient for us to come here ten times a day.” Michael yells at Mel.

 

“Right now it’s how it works, because I’m allowing you to have your daughter.” Mel says reasonably.

 

“What about me? So far I’ve barely had time with Gus.” Lindsay sneers.

 

“I told you to let me know and you could come get him. I haven’t heard from you, so I assumed you didn’t have a place for him to go.” Mel tells her.

 

“Every bit of this is bullshit, I made up with Ben because no court will see a single mother as better than two parents.” Michael tells her.

 

“What?” Ben asks from behind Michael.

 

“You know that courts would see us as better for Jenny.” Michael tells him.

 

“No I get that part, what is the part about it being why we are back together?” Ben asks.

 

“It’s just that Lindsay and I were talking about how Mel wasn’t taking care of Jenny and Lindsay brought up that alone I wouldn’t look as good.” Michael tells him.

 

“Does he not realize that didn’t sound any better?” I whisper to Brian.

 

“Really. Was that what you discussed with Michael, Lindsay? When you came to me it was how I needed to not give up on Michael the way Mel gave up on you. You know that unlike Mel, I understood the vows that Michael and I made meant not walking away.” Ben tells her.

 

“Ben, I was worried about my friends.” Lindsay tells him.

 

“What were you and Lindsay really using me for?” Ben asks.

 

“What are you talking about using you? We’re married and doing what’s best for Jenny.” Michael tells him.

 

“Justin, I’m sorry for not listening.” Ben tells me, walking out of the house.

 

“What the hell did you say to Ben?” Michael asks me.

 

“Michael, I want you and Lindsay to leave, Jenny will be ready for you to take in an hour. So come back then.” Mel tells him opening the door.

 

“If you couldn’t have her ready now, then you can drop her off with Ma.” Michael tells her.

 

“Have you talked to Deb?” Brian asks.

 

“No, but she’ll want to spend time with Jenny.” Michael tells him.

 

“I’m sure she would, but since she and Carl went to see Carl’s children and grandchildren, it would make her keeping Jenny a little impossible.” Mel tells him.

 

“Then Lindsay can keep her.” Michael tells us.

 

“Michael, I’m already late for work so you need to figure this out.” Lindsay tells him walking out.

 

“Then you’ll just have to keep her.” Michael tells Mel.

 

“It’s not a problem, but you need to figure out how you're going to be a responsible father, which means figuring out how to juggle your life and taking care of Jenny.” Mel tells him.

 

“Have her ready when I get off work.” Michael tells her, following Lindsay who is standing in the driveway.

 

“Michael, call Ben and tell him to get back here.” We hear Lindsay tell him as we shut and lock the door.

 

“So, breakfast.” Mel tells us smiling. “Remind me to get Granny a large bouquet for this.” She tells us bouncing up the stairs laughing.

 

“Well Sonny Boy, you hungry?” Brian asks completely unconcerned about everyone else.

 

BRIAN

 

When we came outside with Gus, Michael was still standing in the driveway. I put Gus in the car seat, and walk around him to get in the car. Justin came out after making arrangements with Mel to pick up Gus, to have Michael standing in front of his car door.

 

“Michael, I need to get in the car.” Justin tells him.

 

“You can when you help me with our family.” He tells Justin.

 

“Call Auntie D and I’m sure he’ll make time for you, it’s not my job to make you likable, which I already explained to Ben.” Justin tells him.

 

I could tell Michael was going to keep at this so I backed the car out and Justin got in, leaving Michael standing in the driveway.

 

“Brian, you could offer me a ride to work.” Michael yells at me.

 

“Call your husband, I’m giving mine a ride home.” I tell him, driving off.