- Text Size +

JUSTIN 

 

I came home really tired, but knowing we had to go to the benefit tonight. It wasn’t something we could skip because most of his clients were attending. Daphne and Andrew decided to come with us, since it was a cause we believed in. I came in and found Gus sitting on the bed, all dressed and Brian putting on a dress shirt. 

 

“Let me get a shower and I'll be ready.” I tell him, dragging my ass to the shower.

 

“Justin, if you don’t want to go, it's fine.” Brian tells me.

 

“You have to attend, since Kelly seems to have invited all your clients to meet me.” I tell him. 

 

“You’re more important than networking.” He tells me. 

 

“Your business is just as important, trust me, I can do this.” I kissed him, because I knew he really meant that. 

 

Brian took Gus with him to wait for me. I arrived downstairs to two of the best looking dates anyone ever had. Grampy and Granny were waiting in the car with Mom and Tucker when we got outside. Brian gave them Gus and we drove in the corvette. Everyone waited for us to go in together and as we walked up an older couple started towards us. 

 

“Fuck.” Brian quietly said, grabbing my arm.

 

“Who?” I asked, smiling at people I knew.

 

“Lindsay’s parents and her sister are headed toward us.” He whispers.

 

Grampy and Granny walked in front of us with Gus and blocked the Petersons.

 

“Brian, it's been so long.” The man said, trying to get to Brian.

 

“I'm sure it has, but he's been busy settling into married life.” Grampy told the man.

 

“Not too busy to want to become a father again.” The woman smiled at Grampy.

 

“Really, I hadn’t heard that Brian and Justin were ready to become fathers to anyone other than Gus.” Grampy tells them, smiling down at Gus.

 

“We hope that Brian and Justin will help Lindsay with the new babies. Not like the way Brian did with Gus.” She tells Grampy.

 

“I think Brian does great with Gus.” Granny tell her.

 

“Nancy, hopefully it will be different this time.” The guy tells her.

 

“Ron, I just think with the end of that unfortunate situation, it’s time for Brian to see that we expect him to be more a part of the family.” Nancy tells him.

 

“Brian maybe you could bring Lindsay and Gus to see us. It’s been awhile since we’ve seen Gus.” Ron tells us. 

 

“Grampy, who are those people?” Gus asks.

 

“Well Gus my boy, they’re your mom’s parents.” Grampy tells him, and I love the embarrassed look they got.

 

“Strange that you didn’t recognize your grandson, but then it’s possibly because Brian monopolizes Gus.” Granny tell them.

 

“Of course we recognize Gussy.” Nancy walks over offering her hand to Gus.

 

“I’m not supposed to talk to strangers.” Gus tells her.

 

“Honey, I’m your Nana.” Nancy tells him.

 

“My Nana’s the pretty woman behind you.” Gus informs her.

 

“Brian, could we talk to you about the situation with Lindsay?” Ron asks.

 

“Why not talk to the guy responsible, because regardless of what Lindsay told you, it wasn’t me.” Brian tells him, taking my hand and walking by the now silent Petersons.

 

“Always like to make an entrance, my boy.” Grampy tells Gus, walking in with us.

 

Brian and I started around the room and met up with Ted and Blake. Ted seemed to not be very happy.

 

“I can’t believe this shit.” Ted tells us.

 

“Did they tell you Opera wasn’t the in thing, Dad?” Brian jokes.

 

“No, they fired Emmett after the party was arranged.” Ted tells us.

 

“Did they?” Grampy asks, not looking happy and well, Kelly most likely won’t be happy, since he handed us Gus and took off.

 

“I wonder if they will ever learn.” Mom tells us.

 

“What is he doing?” Ted asks.

 

“Most likely asking Kelly if she thinks firing the man who did all the work was a how she wants to run a business.” Granny tells him.

 

“All because of Emmett?” Ted asks confused.

 

“All because he believes that if you did your job, that is what should have mattered.” Granny tells him.

 

“Helen, it’s good to see you.” My dad and his wife come over with Gina in tow.

 

“Hey Justin, is this Brian?” Gina asks me.

 

“Yes, Brian meet my step sister Gina, Gina this is my husband, Brian.” I introduce him to her.

 

“Justin, is it really necessary to flaunt that here?” Dad asks me.

 

“He’s just introducing me to Brian the way you introduce my mom as your second wife to everyone else.” Gina smartly tells him. 

 

“Gina, why not go sit at the table and let the grown ups talk.” Dad tells her, unhappily.

 

“I don’t get why I had to come if he didn’t want a kid around.” She tells me.

 

“He’s old school, seen not heard.” I whisper to her.

 

“He’s a pain in my… so are you going to dance with me?” She asks me smiling sweetly at Dad.

 

“How about I dance with you.” Gus tells her.

 

We laugh as Gina lets Gus drag her to the dance floor. Dad had that look, the one that meant Addeline would be hearing about Gina tonight.

 

“Craig, since my daughter did me the favor of divorcing you, could you do me the favor of playing the scorned husband, on the other side of the room.” Granny tells him.

 

“I’m still Justin and Molly’s father.” He tells her.

 

“Yes, but like they say, we can’t pick who our parents are, Brian could tell you that.” She tells him.

 

“Justin, we need to talk later.” He tells me.

 

“Unless your going to be happy with my life, I don’t see the reason to talk. Why not just have a good time ignoring me and Brian.” I tell him.

 

I think Dad figured out that no one was on his side, but all that was put aside when Kelly came running to Brian.

 

“Brian, I need you to help me.” She tell him.

 

“What do you need?” He asks.

 

“I didn’t fire Emmett, my father and Craig did. I only found out when Warren told me. Now Warren isn’t going to give the donation he was planning.” She tells him, looking worried.

 

“I didn’t say I wouldn’t donate, I said that I wouldn’t pay the bill for the planner if firing him and replacing him with someone who didn’t do the work was your idea. Brian can’t help you change my mind.” Warren tells her.

 

“You got someone to replace Emmett, after the party was done?” Ted asks looking pissed.

 

“I swear I didn’t know, my mother was taking care of this and I hired Emmett to work with her. I promise, Emmett will get paid for doing this.” She tell us.

 

“Not to worry, since I offered to pay for the event, Emmett will definitely get paid.” Grampy tells her leading her back to her mother. The frown on Kelly’s mother’s face told us that she understood Grampy.

 

BRIAN

 

I took Justin around and introduced him to the clients that were here. Justin managed to find something to talk about with all of them. When Daphne came over, I left them to talk and went to get drinks for us. Warren walked with me to the bar, seeming to be happy with the end result of his talk with Kelly and family. 

 

“Where is Justin?” Warren asks.

 

“I left him with Daphne and one of my other clients, who has a son becoming a doctor.” I tell him, turning to see Ron standing next to us.

 

“I want to know why you’re saying you're not the father.” Ron tells me. 

 

“I assume because it wasn’t me who knocked up Lindsay.” I tell him sarcastically.

 

“Or could it be that your husband’s family might have a problem with it? Lindsay seems to think that you're denying it to keep your husband.” He tells me.

 

“Why would I? If it was mine, I’d be suing your daughter for theft. I like to know where my sperm is going.” I tell him, while Warren laughs.

 

“Ron, I’m going to do you a favor, call this number and talk to the father of your soon to be grandchildren. Brian doesn’t really have time for this game Lindsay seems to think having kids is.” Warren tells him, handing him a paper.

 

“Nothing is sacred with you is it.” I tell him laughing.

 

“If those were your kids you wouldn’t deny it, which shows how little they know you.” He tells me.

 

I felt someone tap my shoulder and turned to see Molly and Gina standing there. “Can you dance with us, it would so make Craig’s day.” I almost want to ask if the step should be half.

 

“Molly dance with an old man, let Gina have the fun you two concocted.” Grampy tells her as they go to the dance floor.

 

It went from slow to fast and Grampy seem to be able to deal with the change. Granny showed up and took her man, and they showed us they still had it. I held Justin who had Gus and watch them, thinking someday it would be us with our children watching us.