- Text Size +

JUSTIN

 

Brian called to let me know he couldn’t meet me for lunch, one of his clients wanted to discuss a new campaign and decided that since he was in town it was a good time, which means Lindsay or Michael showed up. I went to the deli next to the hospital to get something other than a burger. I swear to myself that the kids will get healthy meals and then somehow we end up at the diner. I grabbed a sandwich and a paper and sat down. I was reading about the new center when someone sat across from me.

 

“Mind if I have a seat?” Michael asks.

 

“There are empty tables everywhere.” I tell him.

 

“I just think it’s time we clear the air.” He tells me.

 

“It’s clear as glass, you don’t like me. Nothing to clear up, I can’t and won’t disappear for you.” I tell him.

 

“The minute you showed up, you were the one being an asshole to me.” He tells me.

 

“And…”

 

“I just think that since we are related, we should try to find a way to deal with each other.” He tells me.

 

I just waited, because there is nothing I could add to the fact that I don’t want to deal with my cousin.

 

“I wanted to offer to host a dinner at my house, and see if there was some way for us to become friends. I wanted to see if you could get Hunter to at least agree to see me.” He tells me.

 

“I think it would be better for you to go to your son and tell him that even though you haven’t tried to do anything to see him, that you think being his father excuses it.” I tell him, getting up to leave.

 

I’ll give it to Michael, he’s persistent when he wants something, because he followed me right into the hospital.

 

“Michael, have you ever thought about seeing a doctor that could help you mentally? I deal with people when they need physical help.” I tell him.

 

“I just want my best friend to remember that we promised to always be there for each other, but since you showed up, it’s like my needing him stopped mattering.” He tells me.

 

“Then go to Brian and explain that to him, because I don’t tell Brian who he can or cannot see. Yes, I know you seem to believe I put some spell on Brian that is turning him into someone you can't manipulate, but I haven’t. I can’t help that he chose to grow up, leaving behind the stud you know and love. So following me around, thinking that somehow I would get Brian to talk to you isn’t really going to do anything for you. Now I need to get back to work.” I tell him.

 

“Well I need you to stop being a shit and making my life harder, so I think you can wait to play doctor.” He sneers at me.

 

“Think whatever makes you happy, but if I wanted to play at something, I wouldn’t have picked something that required years of education.”

 

When the doors to the ER burst open, Michael stood in the way and I had to push him aside so they could get past him. On the gurney was a little girl turning blue and two parents running behind them. I ran with the guys and took over while they were pushing her into the cubicle.

 

I threw off the gloves when we got the little girl stabilized and walked over to the parents to let them know that she was going to be alright, but was going have to stay away from bees. I ignored Michael and took the parents to see Izzy. When I came out there he was still sitting there.

 

“Is she okay?” He asked, looking at the ground.

 

“Yeah, good day.” I tell him.

 

“What’s a bad day like?” He asked.

 

“A bad day is when you do everything you knew how to and it didn’t change the results. You spend all your time trying to figure out if there was something you could have done differently. When it’s just a fact that some people die.” I tell him.

 

“I used to wonder if I’d gotten to my Uncle's house earlier, if he would still be alive. That if I hadn’t been so caught up in drama and had gone to check on him, maybe I would have been able to get him to the hospital on time.” He tells me, and I sit down because I know this feeling well.

 

“What happened?” I asked.

 

“He had HIV, but was doing well. Had just moved in with his partner and well, Ma and he were fighting. So she said some shit and handed me his stuff to take over there. I found him, thinking he was asleep, he wasn’t.” He tells me.

 

“HIV is a beast, Michael. People can go years leading active lives, but the drawback is that we can’t find the one drug that will help, without side effects that could kill them too. Hopefully someday it will become curable, I know Daphne wishes it was, for people like Hunter.” I tell him.

 

“Ben had complications a while back.” He tells me.

 

“He seems to be doing well now.” I tell him.

 

“It’s like I’m surrounded by death.” He tells me leaning his head back.

 

“Only if you view it that way. The first time we met you were celebrating life, and the second you were witnessing a new life coming into the world. Your mother is healthy, Ben and Hunter aren’t having health issues, and last I checked the only thing you’ve had was shingles which wouldn’t have killed you. You’re choosing to only see possible death, instead of the lives that are circling around you.” I tell him.

 

“Why are you not kicking my ass for bothering you?” He asks me.

 

“Because a little girl can breathe today. As fathers, it’s a wonder thing and I plan to not sit around trying to play the game of what could happen, and be happy with what did.” I tell him.

 

“Why is everything so easy for you?” He asks curiously.

 

“I don’t run around trying to make it hard, you do. Now get out while I’m still in a good mood.” I tell him, walking away.

 

BRIAN

 

Lindsay showed up in tears and begging to talk to me. I canceled with Justin because I knew she’d just keep showing up.

 

“Sydney fired me.” She tells me.

 

“On what grounds?” I ask, not really interested.

 

“He wants his daughter to work for him and can’t afford to employ both of us.” She tells me.

 

“So he fired you today?” I ask.

 

“Well no, he said he’d keep me on for a month, so I can start looking for something. He doesn’t get that, unlike his daughter, a new job won’t be easy for me to find.” She tells me, rubbing her stomach.

 

“Not if you waste your time crying in my office.” I tell her, regretting that I didn’t kick her pregnant ass out.

 

“I came because I heard you were looking for teachers.” She tells me.

 

“The center will be, so put the application in, but be prepared, because we aren’t looking for an artist, but someone who can help give the kids the opportunity to get an education and possibly get into college. If that’s all, I really need to get to work.” I tell her.

 

“Can’t you just tell them to hire me?” She asks.

 

“No, because to me it’s important that the teachers believe in helping these kids. I don’t believe you think they deserve the help.” I tell her.

 

“I just don’t understand going this far for a PR campaign. All Drew had to do was smile for pictures and act like he cared, not buy a building.” She tells me.

 

“For me it’s about helping these kids see that they have choices. Before they become a heartless prick, someone who drank too much and thought love was an illusion we believe in just to make it palatable to stay with one person.” I tell her.

 

“Is he really worth having to change who you are?” She asks.

 

“Yes he is, because he won’t stand around letting me ruin my life, just to be someone everyone thinks I am.” I tell her.

 

“I wanted to see if you could talk to Mel and tell her that we should share the house.” She tells me, ignoring what I said.

 

“I don’t see why you think I need to do it, so nope.” I tell her, getting up and getting my things together.

 

“Brian, I need a place to go. I don’t get why I can’t stay at your loft or even one of the other lofts in the building.” She tells me, following me when I picked up my briefcase and walked out the door.

 

“I reserve those for people who can afford the rent, which you can’t.” I tell her, getting my coat and walking out to my car.

 

“Where are you going?” She asks, when I unlocked my door.

 

“I want to pick up my sons and daughter and see if Justin can have a late lunch with us.” I tell her over the hood.

 

“I could come too, I mean I haven’t been able to spend a lot of time with Gus.” She tells me.

 

“Sorry, but no one gets to interrupt our family time.” I tell her.

 

“So Justin doesn’t like that you might want to spend time with your friends. I never thought I’d see the day that Brian Kinney was whipped by his husband.” She tells me rolling her eyes.

 

“Actually, it’s my rule. I like that my children don’t have to compete for my attention. You know, the way that you and Mikey seem to think that nothing should matter but what you want. Bye.” I tell her, getting in and driving to the school.

 

MICHAEL

 

I let my part time guy get to school and wanted to throw shit when he told me he found a job that pays better. I barely sat down before Lindsay showed up. Last thing I wanted to deal with was her.

 

“You won't believe it, he wouldn't even help me get a job.” She rants.

 

“Kinnetik only hires people who can actually draw.” I tell her.

 

“I can, it's just being with Mel stifled me.” She tells me.

 

I really wanted to say that her big dream to be an artist was stifled by her inability to get past fucking a real artist, but I wasn't in the mood to argue with her. Justin ruined my plans to get Brian over to my house.

 

“Why did you go see him in the first place?” I ask.

 

“Sydney told me he wanted his spoiled daughter to take my job. I was trying to get him to let me have one of the loft apartments.” She tells me sitting down.

 

“He’s never going to play family with you and those kids.” I tell her, pointing at her stomach.

 

“Unlike you, I don’t dream of playing wife to Brian. I just can’t stay with my sister any longer, she keeps treating me like the help.” She tells me.

 

“I wish I’d been able to fight Mel for custody but when Ben left the money to fight went with him.” I tell her.

 

“I was thinking about that, maybe we should fight it together, as a couple.” She tells me.

 

“What are you talking about now?” I ask her.

 

“If we, as a couple, sued, it would look better.” She tells me.

 

“Like a judge would care that we jointly sued Mel.” I tell her.

 

“Michael, we announce that we are going to raise these babies together as a couple, then as a couple we get Gus and Jenny. Which means Brian would have to come to us to see Gus. I think it’s time he sees what treating us like shit can do.” She tells me.

 

“You're still married to Mel and I’m still married to Ben, I don’t see anyone believing we are a couple.” I tell her.

 

“Mel and I never really got married, just a domestic partnership, and you and Ben never married here, so it’s not really legal. I think we should show up at Sunday dinner together.” She tells me.

 

“I’m gay, and I doubt anyone is going to fall for this.” I tell her.

 

“They will when I move in with you.” She tells me.