- Text Size +

JUSTIN

 

I couldn’t disagree with Candice but then I only know everything she’s been doing since we met. When the doorbell was pressed continuously, Mel took a deep breath and smiled as she answered the door to Michael and Lindsay. Lindsay was all smiles at Candice until I came back in from checking on the children.

 

“Justin, just the person I wanted to talk to. I was hoping that you would allow us to have your kids over one day.” She tells me, as she pulls me through the kitchen and out back.

 

“What’s wrong, afraid Michael might find out you're going to leave him high and dry?” I ask her.

 

“It was just a really great opportunity, it’s not like I’m going to be with Sam. I’ve always wanted to travel Europe and soak up the beauty.” She tells me.

 

“Which isn’t going to happen until these babies are born. Let me just answer you, Brian and I are not taking care of your kids, just so you have a reason to bother us.” I tell her.

 

“You have Gus, what would be the difference?” She asks.

 

“The difference is that you seem to think forcing Brian to take responsibility for your children is your right. Gus is a child Brian chose to have, but these two, he’s repeatedly told you that he is NOT willing to take any responsibility for. As the person who will have to raise any children in my home with Brian, yours won’t be one of them.” I tell her.

 

“But you’ll take in kids who you don’t even know.” She sneers.

 

“I took in the children who Brian and I fell in love with. I would love to have more kids, but not yours.” I tell her.

 

“Lindsay sweetie, we need to spend time with Jenny.” Michael comes out.

 

“Of course, I just wanted Justin to know that his children would be just as welcome at our house as our children should be at his house.” She tells me.

 

“You're really a piece of work. Wonder how he’s going to like it when you leave him holding all the blame.” I whisper.

 

“Think about what him having these kids will be like for them.” She whispers, kissing my cheek.

 

“No worse than you, but then you don’t really worry about anyone but yourself, do you?” I whisper wiping my cheek.

 

BRIAN

 

When Justin showed up a Kinnetik to give us the news, Blake wasn’t thrilled with Ted wanting Lindsay’s kids. But when Justin told us about her and Sam, then showing up at Mel’s as if nothing had changed, it calmed Blake down, but Grampy seemed like he was thinking about how it could work.

 

“I do want a baby, but I won’t share my kids with her.” Blake tells Ted.

 

“It was just seeing the kind of life they would have if someone doesn’t help them out.” Ted tells him.

 

“I’m sorry for saying this, but haven’t you paid attention to the shit Lindsay pulls with Brian? I won’t be the yo-yo she pulls back and forth.” Blake tells him.

 

“Look, it was just an idea, and we’ll keep trying to adopt. I just hate seeing children we could help and not helping them.” Ted tells him.

 

“Ted, whatever you do, don’t let her find out you were willing to take the kids. Lindsay would see it as a way to bleed you.” Justin tells him.

 

“Listen to Justin Ted, if she has to give them up, make it so she can’t come back and use it to get things from you.” Grampy tells him.

 

“I want a baby, I really do, but we should just look elsewhere.” Blake tells Ted.

 

“Blake, think about the babies and the kind of life you and Ted could prevent them from having. Unlike Gus or Jenny, there isn’t a set a parents that would give them a better life. Gus and Jenny will always have Brian, Justin, and Mel, but there is just no way to expect them to want to be the parents to these babies. Mel because they will alway be a reminder of Lindsay’s affair, and Brian because it just gives Lindsay what she was trying to get from the beginning, Brian on the birth certificate.” Grampy tells him.

 

“I want to tell Lindsay yes, but I know she’s never going to give us full custody, with the stipulation that she waits until the kids are old enough to make their own minds up as to wanting to know her.” Justin tells them.

 

“I don’t, but I want Gus to be able to know his siblings. Justin we need to concentrate on Kayla, Joseph, and Gus, two babies in a few months would be more than we need.” I tell them.

 

“I agree, I mean I want to adopt again, but years from now. I wasn’t going to ask you to do this.” He tells me.

 

“I know but I also know that it bothers you that these babies future is uncertain.” I tell him.

 

“Blake, can we at least consider this, I promise the only way we’ll do it is if she gives us full custody and signs all rights away.” Ted tells him.

 

“I just don’t see her doing it, but I’ll agree to keep an open mind.” Blake tells him.

 

When they left, I turn to Grampy. “What are you trying to do?” I ask.

 

“I’m thinking that someone needs to help those babies, because Michael is never going to be father material. Lindsay doesn’t seem to want to be their mother. Regardless, they are going to be related to Gus, who needs everyone to welcome them to the family. The problem is that Brian can’t be the person who raises them, because telling her she can’t be around Brian wouldn’t work for her. With Ted she wouldn’t try to jump in his life.” He tells us.

 

“Hey… Oh sorry, didn’t mean to interrupt the serious.” Hunter tells us.

 

“Not a problem, since I called you to come.” Grampy tells him.

 

“Yeah, did you need me to do something?” He asks Grampy.

 

“Yes, but I wanted company for something, so I thought we could go together.” Grampy tells him.

 

“Okay, I have to get to school at six, so if you could drop me off that would be great. I was gonna see if Blake could pick me up at eight, but I guess him and Ted left.” Hunter tells Grampy.

 

“Not to worry, I’ll make sure you have a ride.” Grampy tells him, pulling Hunter out with him.

 

Kayla and Joseph came in to tell me about school and playing with Gus. This was the family that I wanted, and chose to have, I just need to get the guilt out of Justin’s eyes about Lindsay’s babies. 

 

After the kids went to bed, Justin came in and sat next to me, staring out the window.

 

“I feel like an asshole for not wanting to take the babies.” He tells me.

 

“Justin, it’s a shitty situation, but Lindsay would take advantage of it.” I tell him.

 

“So the babies suffer because of the mother.” He tells me.

 

“No, Justin if it comes to that we do what I know you think you should do. Let’s just hope that a better solution is available.” I tell him.

 

“It’s the first time in my life I’ve struggled with should do and don’t want to do. She played this cat and mouse game with me almost as if threatening to let Michael have the kids to make me say yes.” He tells me.

 

“You didn’t think to mention that?” I ask.

 

“She has enough against her in Blake’s eyes, I didn’t want to give him more.” He tells me.

 

MICHAEL

 

I’d been staying at the shop because being around Lindsay is enough to make me what to slap the bitch. When she told everyone I was going to play daddy to those babies, I barely held back from rolling my eyes. I’d been spending time with Jenny but I just don’t see how it’s possible for me to be a full time father. I can’t even believe I went along with Lindsay, I can’t even stay in the same room with her without wanting to put a gag in her mouth. 

 

When the door opened I was going to say we were closed, but Hunter was standing there. He hadn’t really called me lately and I’ve been so busy with Lindsay’s shit that I didn’t pay attention.

 

“Hey, how have you been?” I ask him.

 

“Good, I started the school and test two grades higher, so their working with me to possibly finish early.” He tells me, looking around.

 

“I always knew if you applied yourself you would do great.” I tell him, really proud of him.

 

“It’s because no one cares about anything but learning. Unlike the school I was going to, everyone here only cares if you waste their time by not trying.” He tells me.

 

“Have you seen Ben?” I ask him.

 

“He and I have been hanging out a lot lately. He wants me to consider moving into the apartment with him. I’m thinking about it, but I think he needs time to figure out what he wants.” He tells me.

 

“He just needs to come home and realize that none of the things going on were about our marriage.” I tell him.

 

“That might be hard since you're with Lindsay, right?” He asks me.

 

“He should have stayed, then I wouldn’t be with Lindsay.” I tell him.

 

“Always someone else’s fault, I can see why you and Lindsay would be together. I really thought that you had good qualities, but maybe it was all window dressing.” He tells me, opening the door to leave.

 

I followed him out and see him opening the driver’s side door of a new car. “Hunter, why did you come here?” I ask.

 

“I wanted to show you my car, I got it for testing so high on my placement test.” He tells me.

 

“Who gave it to you?” I ask.

 

“Grampy and Granny. They said I shouldn’t always have to depend on people.” He tells me.

 

“My Uncle and Aunt gave you a car?” I yell, not believing this.

 

“No, all my grandparents got together and bought it.” He tells me.

 

I stood there thinking of all the shitty things I could say about how my family is so generous with everyone but me, but looked at the face of my son, and could see he was waiting for another reason to be disappointed in me. “It’s nice, just drive carefully.” I tell him.

 

“Thanks Dad. Maybe we can eat dinner or something?” He asks me.

 

“I’ll call.” I tell him and watch him drive off.

 

I didn’t feel like staying alone in the shop but couldn’t face the diner either, so I walked to Woody’s and sat at the bar. I looked over at Emmett, Ted, Blake, and Drew playing pool together and almost went over, but realized that I wouldn’t be welcome after the shit I did to Emmett. I finished my beer and walked out. Someone grabbed my arm and when I turned around it was Danny.

 

“Has it been all you hoped?” Danny asks me.

 

“And more.” I tell him sarcastically.

 

“Then do the smart thing and get out before you end up completely alone.” He tells me walking back in.

 

I got home and Lindsay was sitting there on the phone. When she saw me she hung up. I just didn’t care anymore, everything I agreed to was just causing my life more problems.

 

“Good God, your mother is just driving me insane with these shitty wedding plans.” She tells me.

 

“Well you wanted to play engaged, you get to deal with my mother.” I tell her.

 

“It’s bad enough I’m dealing with you and these babies that no one wants.” She rants.

 

“What do you mean? You said the reason you kept them was because you couldn’t kill them?” I ask her.

 

“I didn’t fucking know I was pregnant until it was too late. Do you really think I wanted children that would ruin my marriage to Mel, or that weren’t Brian’s? My life was perfect until this.” She tells me.

 

“Yeah, mine was too.” I tell her, going to my bedroom and closing my door.