- Text Size +

MICHAEL

 

I read the paper that Carl put in front of me this morning. He had asked me to meet him at his office because he wanted me to talk to me.

 

“Do you know that what you said almost caused a reporter to write an article slamming the center?” He asks me.

 

“I didn’t mean it the way it came out.” I tell him.

 

“Michael, it wouldn’t have mattered when the center got bad press. Don’t you see that it’s offering kids that usually end up in one of my cells for doing things out of desperation, a chance to not end up here.” He tell me.

 

“I came to help, because it was important to Hunter.” I tell him.

 

“Instead, you almost caused the hard work of all the people involved, to look like a joke.” He tells me.

 

“What do you want me to do? Brian fixed it.” I tell him.

 

“Brian didn’t know he was fixing it, so it could have turned out worse. Son, you need to stop letting your mouth run without thinking about how it sounds.” He tell me.

 

I left, pissed at the way he made it my fault. I slammed into my shop and sat behind the counter. Lindsay showed up looking even bigger, and part of me wanted to let her in on the secret I overheard if everyone thinks i have a big mouth. 

 

“Why are you here?” I asked instead.

 

“Sam and I are getting married and I guess I felt that I owed it to you to tell you in person.” She says this like we were really a couple.

 

“Lindsay we weren't in a relationship, so you didn't have to tell me anything.” I tell her, hoping she'd leave.

 

“I want you to take the babies, at least until Brian stops balking at it.” She tells me. 

 

“Lindsay, are you crazy?” I ask. 

 

“Sam's willing to pay you to keep them.” She tells me.

 

“Lindsay, you'd have to give me sole custody, and sign all your rights to them away.” I tell her.

 

“Which I will. But when Brian takes them, I want custody back.” She tells me. 

 

“What about Gus and Jenny? I mean if you're leaving wouldn’t it make sense to give Mel full custody so she can take care of things.” I tell her. 

 

“It's just I don’t want to fight her later.” She tells me. 

 

“I'll tell her, I'll leave the Jenny situation alone as long as she doesn’t give you shit later.” I tell her. 

 

“I'll get Sam to have the money for you, when we sign everything.” She tells me, walking out.

 

“Can I ask what that was about?” Hunter asks, coming out of my backroom.

 

“Why are you here?” I ask, happy to see him.

 

“Your part time guy was going to leave the store. He said to tell you he quit.” He tells me. 

 

“Well thanks for staying.” I tell him, hoping he won't ask about Lindsay again.

 

“Dad, what was that about?” He asks me. 

 

“I need to prove to someone, who used to think I was a good person, that he wasn’t wrong.” I tell him. 

 

“I hope it helps Brian see you that way.” He tells me. 

 

“It wasn’t for Brian.” I tell him. 

 

“Ted doesn’t hate you.” He tells me. 

 

“Which makes me lucky, but it isn’t about him, Blake, or even Ben.” I tell him. 

 

“Who?” He asks.

 

“I want my son to see me as someone worth knowing.” I tell him. 

 

JUSTIN

 

When Michael came into my office, I  gave in to my inner brat and threw a tantrum. He watched as I whined, “Why me Lord, I just couldn’t get it up for a girl.” Then stomped around, flailing my arms around my office.

 

“Are you done brat?” He asks, and Jesus it sounded like he was channeling Brian.

 

“Just get whatever stupid plan you have over with.” I tell him, dropping into my chair.

 

“Well the problem is I'm trying not to come up with a stupid plan, so I figured since you're the genius of this family, I'm coming to you.” He tells me.  

 

“Wait, did you just say something nice?” I ask wanting to check if I fell asleep.

 

“Can I just explain?” He asks.

 

“Wait here.” I tell him, running to Daphne’s office.

 

“Hey, am I awake?” I ask.

 

She walks over to me and punches my arm. “Ouch, what the hell?” I ask her.

 

“If it hurts you're awake, now why are you asking me?” She asks.

 

“Michael is in my office and he’s being nice.” I tell her.

 

“I’ll come with you in case we need to prescribe antipsychotics.” She tells me.

 

“So explain away.” I tell him, as Daphne sits next to him checking his pulse.

 

“Lindsay wants me to take the babies. I told her I would.” He tells me.

 

“Michael you need to really think about these babies, they need someone who will want to be a father to them.” Daphne tells him.

 

“I overheard Ted telling Blake that they wanted the babies, I want to help them.” He tells us.

 

“Why?” I ask, because so far he hasn’t cared.

 

“To make up for the crap I’ve been doing. I told her that she had to give me full custody and that she needs to do the same with Gus for Mel.” He tells us.

 

“Did she agree?” I ask.

 

“I think she will if Mel doesn’t have Brian getting custody too. Not that Mel can’t amend it later. I just don’t know if I would have the right to give the babies to Ted and Blake.” He tells us.

 

“Why would she agree to anything?” Daphne asks him.

 

“She thinks that when she wants them back that I’ll help her.” He tells me.

 

“Because you plan to, or because you told her you would, without really planning on following through on it?” Daphne asks him.

 

“I just don’t want her to be able to come back and take the babies and Gus if what I’m doing is illegal.” He tells us.

 

Daphne called Andrew and Mel and explained what Michael told us. Mel told us to wait for her at the office and she would be over. She showed up with Jenny and handed her to Michael.

 

“Michael, if you are given full custody and Lindsay and Sam sign over their rights, you are the father. The only thing is, that you can’t take any money from them. Because then it could be implied that they were sold to you.” She tell him.

 

“Lindsay’s the one who seemed to insist on it. I was just going to say that I didn’t want it.” He tells her.

 

“Are you really planning on giving them to Ted and Blake?” Mel asks.

 

“Yes, but Mel, she seemed like she would give you full custody, but if you add Brian or Justin I think she would pull out of it.” He tells her.

 

“We can do that after you get custody.” I tell her.

 

“Michael, make sure you have a lawyer read over everything before you sign. The money thing sounds like her way of making sure you hold up your end, because she could make it sound like support or extortion.” She tells him.

 

“I can’t really afford a lawyer right now. I’m most likely going to have to sell the house, because I can’t afford it alone.” He tells her.

 

“Would it cause any problems if I paid for the lawyer?” I ask.

 

“No, how the lawyer is paid doesn’t have any bearing on what Michael is doing. It also helps that it’s not benefiting you.” She tells me.

 

“Then find him the best family lawyer you know.” I tell her.

 

Michael and I sat in my office staring at each other. I just couldn’t figure out any real angle for what he was doing.

 

“Why help everyone when you never wanted to before?” I ask him.

 

“My son needs a father he can respect, and I don’t want Jenny to grow up thinking I was one step away from being Jack Kinney.” He tell me.

 

“This isn’t going to change how everyone feels about you.” I tell him, meaning Brian.

 

“I want to be able to like myself again.” He tells me.

 

“Then be sure you follow through, because you never do.” I tell him.

 

BRIAN

 

Justin brought Michael with him to my office. When they sat down and explained everything, I was still skeptical. Granny came with lunch, since the whole family seems to think I’m too skinny.

 

“I got you some spring rolls with sweet chili sauce. You seemed to like that at dinner the other night.” She tells me, and looks curiously at Michael and Justin.

 

“I’m surprised he’s not eating the hot mustard.” Michael tells us.

 

“I’m working up to it, but it’s taken time for me to be able to handle the foods I used to be able to eat.” I tell him, and yes, I’m testing to see what his reaction will be.

 

“I don’t understand.” Michael tells me.

 

“It’s the after-effects of chemo and cancer.” I tell him.

 

Michael blinked and then seemed to be shaking his head before he managed to say anything. “Are you…” He clears his throat. “Are you better?” He asks.

 

“I’m healing, but like Justin said, it’s not something that ends the day the chemo does. I still have a few years before I’m in the clear.” I tell him.

 

“Then eat when they feed you and take care of yourself.” He tells me.

 

“Yes mother.” I tell him.

 

“Granny, why don’t we go bug Grampy?” Justin asks her, and I know he just wants to make it easier on us to talk to each other.

 

“You know, I wanted to hate him.” Michael tells me.

 

“For what?  Having his grandparents love and support, you’ve always had that from Deb. You need to see that not having money wasn’t the worst thing that could happen to you. Justin doesn’t use the money he inherited, but works for what he wants.” I tell him.

 

“I just felt like a loser compared to him.” He tells me.

 

“Which he had nothing to do with.” I tell him.

 

“I’m a work in progress, so maybe give me a flaw so I can feel better?” He tells me smiling.

 

“He keeps feeding me carbs?” I tell him, when nothing comes to mind.

 

“The sacrilege, doesn’t he understand that you crafted that body eating lettuce.” He tells me, laughing.