- Text Size +

JUSTIN 

 

“Uncle Justy, where we going?” Callie asks, skipping besides me.

 

“To see a friend of mine. She owns a sunglasses company.” I tell her. 

 

“You already have sunglasses.” She tells me. 

 

“I know, but I need to find out why my friend is doing something.” I tell her. 

 

“Do you think I can get Mommy to take that little girl home?” She asks.

 

“Angel, remember when we explained that like Grandma Chandler’s Christmas present, you just have to be happy she got you the ugly sweater. Well, Andy’s what you get, so be happy.” I tell her. 

 

“But the mommies were arguing about where the baby came from. I told them it was because the Pac-Man swallowed the tadpole, but they just ignored me.” She tells me. This was the best explanation a doctor could give a kid? Daphne is going to regret telling Callie the sanitized version one day.

 

“They probably already know where babies come from. Where did you hear them arguing?” I ask her. 

 

“When Daddy and I were waiting in the lobby for you. That little boy’s mommy said Gus’s Daddy out loud. I didn't mean to listen, but they were loud. It scared the baby, and maybe we should have the baby because everyone at our house is nicer.” She tells me, smiling as if it’s the best idea she's had all day. I guess I get to talk to Brian after Kelly.

 

We get to Eyeconics and Kelly was talking to her receptionist. When she turned and saw me, she pulled off her glasses, cleaned them and put them back on.

 

“I was worried about my vision for a second. Justin Taylor, you and I need to have a talk about why I wasn't invited to the wedding.” She tells me, laughing. 

 

“It was spur of the moment, you little girl, need to stop messing with Brian.” I tell her.

 

“You know it must have been, because even your mother hadn’t mentioned it, and really, messing with Brian just makes my day. I was surprised, because Brian tells me he’s married, then when he told me your name and what you do, it took a lot not to pepper him with a million questions. ” She tells me. 

 

“Please tell me you didn't tell my mom, I haven’t really had a chance to explain it to her.” I tell her. 

 

“Nope, but only because I figured you didn't want me to. Really Justin, she’d be thrilled, not like Craig. So you married Kinney, how on earth did that happen?” She asks me leading us to her office.

 

“He just looked too good not to.” Um, lots of drinking?

 

“I could definitely agree with you, but details would be nice.” She tells me. 

 

“Which my Angel being here would make a little difficult.” I tell her, because really I don't remember any of it. 

 

“Not those details.” She tells me. Hey, those I sort of remember, but then is it really possible he was that good?

 

“How about Brian and I meet you for dinner and I'll fill you in.” I tell her, hopefully by then I'll know more.

 

“Mommy said Uncle Justy has lots of explaining to do too.” Callie adds.

 

“Really, you left Daphne out too?” Kelly asks. You know when I was excited that Callie started talking, not so much anymore.

 

“She got married and she and Andrew were busy. I need to get Callie home, so dinner?” I ask her.  

 

“Uncle Justy, you said ice cream.” I love Callie, I really do.

 

“Yep, so I'll have Brian call you about dinner okay.” I tell her. 

 

“Great. By the way, your mom and stepdad were invited to the benefit and I accidentally invited your dad.” She tells me. 

 

“Wow, you really couldn't have planned a better family reunion.” I tried to act like it was great.

 

“Look I could try to get my dad to univite your dad, but it's not like you have to talk to him.” She tells me. 

 

I hugged her, trying to not say what I really think about my father. Who knows, maybe the fact that Brian’s in business will make dad happy, even I know that was a stupid thought.

 

On my way back to the apartment, I call my hubby.

 

“Hello?” A woman answers.

 

I look and my phone says I called Brian. “Hi, I was trying to reach Brian.” I tell her. 

 

“Can I get your name?” She asks. 

 

“Justin. Tell him it's his doctor.” I tell her.

 

“Shit, is he all right, he promised everything was fine?” She sounded worried.  

 

“Maybe just tell him it's his husband.” I tell her, because she seemed really upset.

 

“His WHAT?” She asks loudly.

 

“Is he available?” I ask instead.

 

“Yes he is, hold on.” She tells me. 

 

BRIAN 

 

Deb dropped Gus off, so he and I were playing a computer game, which was more fun than the shitty boards that I wanted to fire the art department for, when Cynthia walks in.

 

“You forgot your phone on my desk when Guster came in, before I give it to you, who is Justin?” She asks, holding onto the phone.

 

“Is he on the phone?” I ask, hoping not to have her make me explain.

 

“Yes he is, and at first he told me he was your doctor, which scared the hell out of me, and then he says husband, is there something you forgot to mention to me?” She asks, not really asking.

 

“I got married a five years ago and my husband’s every mother’s dream for their unwed child.” I tell her, hoping she’ll drop the questions.

 

“Dad, you're married?” Gus asks. 

 

“You can explain how you didn’t tell even Gus later, but make sure I get to meet him.” She tells me handing me the phone.

 

“So calling to change your mind?” I ask him.

 

“Nope, still requiring a date, but hey we can call dinner tonight with Kelly a date. There was something else though.” He tells me, and all I heard was Justin arranged our first date. 

 

“I’m not wearing a dress, just because I’m a doctor’s wife.” I joke.

 

“Please tell me you wouldn’t anyway, but actually I was wondering if you had time to talk?” He ask me.

 

I look at the computer where instead of working, Gus and I are killing zombies with mutant plants. “We could meet for lunch?” I tell him.

 

“Where? It needs to be kid friendly because I have my friend’s daughter with me.” He tells me.

 

“So I get to meet the child of the infamous video on the creation of life?” I ask him.

 

“She got rid of it when Callie learned how to use her phone, but yep.” He tells me.

 

“Where are you?” I ask him.

 

“I just left Kelly’s office and we are headed towards the apartment.” He tells me.

 

“How about I order here at Kinnetik and you can come here?” I ask him.

 

“Sounds good, hey, why does it list a bathhouse and Kinnetik as the same address?” He asks me.

 

“Where are you looking?” I ask him.

 

“I was using my other phone, I have one for work and one for personal.” He tells me.

 

“I’ll explain when you get here, what do you like to eat?” I ask him.

 

“Anything for me, but Callie likes chicken as long as it no longer resembles chicken.” He tells me.

 

I hang up and tell Gus we are having lunch with Justin. He seems to like Justin a lot, so that just made my life easier. I called and ordered from a deli to get it delivered, and apparently the disguising of chicken with lots of breading is all the rage with the kid set. Cynthia and Ted were in the lobby as if waiting for royalty to appear, my glare did absolutely nothing to either of them. I saw Justin standing outside hugging, Blake?

 

“Ted, explain that.” I growl, because really, is it necessary for Justin to smile like that at Blake?

 

“I don’t know, and really, why is Blake looking at Justin like that?” Ted growls with me.

 

“Holy shit, are you two really jealous?” Cynthia ask us.

 

Blake comes running in smiling with a giggling little girl running behind him. Justin comes in smiling too. They both seem to stop when they look at Ted and I.

 

“Ted, I want you to meet Justin.” Blake says, looking at Ted who seemed less cheerful at how cheerful Blake was.

 

“How do you know each other?” Cynthia asks when neither of us said a word.

 

“It was when I went into rehab for real, Justin was an intern who I stumbled into, and he got me treatment. He kept checking on me, to make sure I stayed.” He tells us and Ted and I smile again.

 

“I’m just so glad you worked it out. When I called the hospital to check, they told me you made it and now you're helping others, it was the best news I got that day.” Justin tells him.

 

“I wanted to do for others what you did for me.” He tells Justin.

 

“I didn’t do anything but check on you and see that you were holding on.” Justin tells him.

 

“That’s a big thing. When I did rehab, I didn’t have anyone left to check on me.” Ted tells Justin.

 

“I have lunch ready if you are done with the reunion.” I tell Justin.

 

“Blake, call me and we can get together sometime.” Justin tells Blake.

 

“Don’t worry because Blake and Ted are coming to dinner tonight.” I tell Ted.

 

“You know, using Blake to distract Kelly is not the way I saw my night going.” Ted tells me.

 

“Uncle Justy who’s that?” Callie asks him pointing at me.

 

“That’s Brian, Gus’s dad.” He tells her.

 

“And Uncle Justy’s husband.” I tell her.

 

“Uncle Justy?” She asks, for what I’m not sure.

 

“Yes, but ask him first.” He tells her.

 

She walks over to me. “I like hugs, do you?” She asks me.

 

I squat down and open my arms. She jumps on me and knocks us over then kisses my cheek. “So are you my Uncle too, like my Daddy’s brother?” She asks as we get up.

 

“Callie, how about we eat first then you can interrogate him all you want.” Justin tells her tickling her.

 

I have them follow me, but the minute Callie see Gus on the computer she runs over to see what he’s doing then the two of them share a chair and Gus explains how to play to her. Justin grabs the lunch for the kids and clears an area so they can eat. He pulls out a phone and snaps a picture, sending it before turning to me.

 

“With them distracted, we need to decide what to tell Kelly, because I sort of managed to evade a lot, but that won’t happen if she has us at the dinner table. There’s something Callie overheard that you might need to know too.” He tells me.

 

We sit on the couches and I hand him the pasta I ordered for us. “What did you tell Kelly about us?” I ask him.

 

“That we married spur of the moment.” He tells me.

 

“Stick to it, when we left Daphne and Andrew, you saw a Beatles inspired chapel and told me that you loved “The Yellow Submarine” so we got married there. You decided that I needed to play a slot because it would determine if we would be happy, being drunk it sounded like a great thing to you. We won and then it was all wedding night until I left in the morning. Maybe we can make it sound like we visited or at least stayed in contact.” I tell him.

 

“I leave it to you to give the details. The other thing, Callie overheard Gus’s mom arguing about a baby and you were mentioned.” He tells me.

 

“So, once again she thinks I’m going to roll over and handle the fallout. I hope she’s ready to deal with this shit herself, because I won’t have Mel all over my ass about this.” I tell him.

 

“Dad, I didn’t know I wasn’t supposed to tell Mama that mom’s pregnant.” Gus tells me looking worried.

 

“When did you tell Mama?” I ask him.

 

“At Grandma Debs, Mama called to make sure I was doing okay. I asked her about mom having another baby. I didn’t know we weren’t supposed to tell her.” He tells me.

 

“Gus, you never have to keep a secret from any of your parents. I want you to always feel like you can talk to us. Mama was going to find out anyway, Mom and I should have not talked about in front of you.” I tell him.

 

“So you're not mad at me?” He asks me.

 

“Sonny boy, nothing could make me really mad. I might not like something you do or decide to do, but we’re a team.” I tell him.

 

“Callie said that Justin and you are married.” Gus tells me. “So is he like my dad too?” He asks smiling.

 

Out of the mouths of babes.