- Text Size +

JUSTIN 

 

I tried to smile my way out of trouble, it used to work. Mollusk smirked and grabbed the bags and shoved them at me.

 

“Justin, are you really going to stand there as if I didn't ask you a question?” Mom asks in her famous WASP voice.

 

“Hey, Callie’s here… it's kind of a long story. I wanted to wait until I figured out what to do.” I tell her when she didn’t react to Callie being here.

 

“Explain.” 

 

I wasn't going to lie to my mom, but I could see she was questioning my IQ as I explained what was going on. She took it well, but I knew she had questions.

 

“Justin, five years?” She asks. 

 

“I didn’t figure it out until the plane took off. Then I wasn’t really planning to get married again so I just didn’t do anything about it.” I tell her. 

 

“When do I meet this husband?” She asks me. 

 

“He's sleeping, so maybe later?” I ask, knowing she wasn't going to budge until she met him.

 

I was saved by my phone, but the number didn’t look familiar. Pretending it was a patient I ran to the bathroom.

 

“Hello?” I ask.

 

“Hey its Deb, I needed to ask you about adult chickenpox.” She tells me. How did she get this number?

 

“Who has it, and did they have it before?” I ask, since she at least called for a reason. 

 

“My idiot son, but he had it as a kid. He had blisters all over his ass.” She tells me and really I did good, not a laugh or snort, but my God it was hard.

 

“Keep him in a dark room, I'd offer to come over, but I get the feeling he wouldn’t appreciate it. It's likely shingles because he’s had it before, and if he plans on more children, it might not happen.” I tell her. 

 

“Honey, after this child, I doubt any woman is going to ask him again. Should we take him to the doctor?” She asks. 

 

“It wouldn’t hurt, but he's going to have to stay away from the baby and husband.” I tell her. 

 

“His son too.” She tells me. 

 

“Did his son not have it?” I ask. 

 

“Hunter is positive too.” She tells me, and shit, that's not something any kid should get.

 

“I can come over if you want me to.” I tell her, maybe it will give me time to think of a way to explain to Mom that I need her to pretend she’s kept this a secret at the benefit. 

 

“I can handle it, I just wanted to talk to you.” She tells me.

 

“Why?” I ask her.

 

“Brian needs someone in his life, and I hope you’ll give him a chance to prove to you that he’s really a good man. He’s been alone too long and I want him to be happy.” She tells me.

 

I sit on the counter because she really seems worried about him.”We really don’t know each other, it was too much booze and silly ideas. I can say that I hope we can be friends, but I just don’t see how to make a marriage work with someone I really don’t know.” I tell her.

 

“Trust me, past the tough exterior is a man who loves deeply, when you know him, you love him.” She tells me. I kind of love her for caring so much for him.

 

“We’re going on a date tonight, so we’ll see.” I tell her.

 

“Make him talk, he spends too much time in his head.” She tells me.

 

“So far he seems to talk without me having to do much, but please, don’t be upset if this doesn’t work out.” I tell her.

 

“I’m voting for you and Brian.” She tells me, hanging up.

 

I wonder if he knows how much that woman loves him. I get up and walk out to see Brian isn’t in bed, but sitting at the kitchen table with my mom. Shit, she’s going to turn this into an inquisition.

 

“So you and Justin thought getting married would be fun?” Mom asks, laughing? How did he get her to laugh at this?

 

“We were just kidding around, but since we tied the knot, we decided to wait until he came home to see if we wanted this to work.” Brian the liar, tells her, and hey I told her the truth, so you’re an idiot.

 

“Justin, why were you hiding that you and Brian at least wanted to try?” She asks and what, now I’m the liar?

 

“I just didn’t want to get your hopes up.” I tell her lamely.

 

“Well, I called Daphne and she said I could take Callie with me, and Brian was sweet enough to allow me time with my new grandson. So I’ll talk to YOU in the morning.” She tells me.

 

“Daddy, is this your mommy?” Gus really, don’t get her hopes up.

 

“Yes I am, and you can call me Nana.” Mom tells Gus.

 

“NANA!” Callie comes running to my mom. 

 

Callie and my mom were skype buddies and you know, my mom actually sent things that interested Callie.

 

“Guess what, your staying with us.” Molly tells her.

 

Which had Callie dragging them out the door with Gus. I stopped him and checked him, so far other than a couple spots on is back and under his arms he wasn’t breaking out.

 

“Justin, I’ve dealt with chickenpox twice, so it will be fine. It’s like he can’t remember that I helped him through it.” Mom tells Brian.

 

“Mom, I just wanted to make sure he was okay. If not, Kelly can wait.” I tell her, wincing when she honed in on Kelly.

 

“Did everyone know but me?” She looked hurt.

 

“No, it’s just Brian happened to mention me to Kelly and well I didn’t realize it was the Kelly I knew.” I tell her.

 

“It was my fault, I should have told Justin to at least tell you, but like I said we didn’t want to make a big deal out of this if we realized we weren’t going to stay married.” Brian tells her.

 

I can’t believe my mother is falling for this, I’ve never been able to lie to her. It’s like he just sold her on what she wanted to believe was true. Which is probably how he’s so successful.

 

“Have you mentioned to Brian about Grandpa?” She asks me.

 

“No, but you know we really haven’t talked a lot yet.” I tell her, hoping she’ll just leave before she tells Brian my life story.

 

“Grandpa is going to expect you two to visit.” That was a command. 

 

“I was planning to see him soon.” I tell her.

 

“Plan on sooner, because I’m not keeping this from my father.” She tells me.

 

They walk out and I turn to face the man who just landed himself in the middle of my family. Grandpa Marston was not to be ignored. On the good side, he’ll just love Brian.

 

“You do realize that I told her the truth, because if I did what you did, it would mean you meet my Grandfather, who will have you and I in the hot seat, most likely as soon as his jet lands in Pittsburgh.” I tell him.

 

“Who the hell is your Grandfather?” He asks.

 

“Didn’t you have me investigated?” I ask him, because my Grandfather will have an entire file most likely.

 

“I just asked to find out where you were, other than that, not really. I wasn’t thinking past the divorce.” He tells me.

 

“You like football?” I ask him.

 

“I’m not a rabid fan, but I can watch it.” He tells me.

 

“Study it like your life depends on it.” I tell him.

 

“Why?” He asks.

 

“Grandpa owns the Ironmen and well, kind of half of Pittsburgh.” I tell him.

 

“Your Warren Marston’s grandson?” He kind of fell back in the chair.

 

“We call him Grampy but you might want to stick to Mr Marston, until he decides if he likes you. Molly and I are his only grandkids.” I tell him.

 

“We are never getting divorced.” He tell me.

 

BRIAN

 

We got ready to go to dinner, but the whole time all I could think was my business would be dead if I pissed off his grandfather. Justin told me that we need to tell Grampy the truth because it wouldn’t be wise to lie to a man who can buy and sell most of the world. How did I end up marrying an heir to a fortune?

 

“Justin, we need to get a post agreement. I won’t be accused of marrying you for money.” I tell him.

 

“Why are you even acting like we’ve made a decision?” He asks me.

 

“I don’t like the idea that anyone would think I didn’t earn what I made.” I tell him.

 

“Look, when we make a decision, then we’ll worry about you being a gold digger, but really, I live off what I make, not my grandfather.” He tells me.

 

Kelly was waiting when we got there and really did she have to hug Justin like they were attached at the hip. 

 

“It must be wonderful to have your husband home.” She gushes at me.

 

“It’s different.” I tell her.

 

“Sorry we’re late.” Ted and Blake come to the table.

 

“Ted, great to see you. Blake come sit next to me.” Kelly and her girl crush on Blake.

 

“So, since we are all here, why not tell me how you met?” She asks Justin and I.

 

“I saw Brian at the college right before I graduated and well we just kind of dated for a while, then Vegas seemed as good as any place to get married.” Justin tells her, and what happened to sticking to the truth as much as possible?

 

“Justin, you really should just lie so it sounds romantic.” She tells him laughing.

 

“Okay, he sat at a table, got drunk with me and we eloped, spent years yearning from afar and now know it was love, ten shots of tequila later.” And you know, without the love part, it’s the truth. 

 

“Never mind, you were always stingy with details. Have you told Brian about your father is coming to the benefit? I’m still pissed that my dad made me invite him.” She tells Justin.

 

“My Grandpa is coming soon, so Dad will be on his best behavior.” Justin tells her.

 

“Oh hell, my dad is going to be praying your grandfather doesn’t get pissed Craig is there.” Kelly starts to look a bit worried. “Have you met Warren Marston?” She asks, as Ted spews water all over the table. I guess Ted is going to hyperventilate.

 

“Not yet, but Jen seems to think I will soon.” I tell them, and Ted’s never turned that particular shade of gray before.