- Text Size +

BRIAN 

 

Daphne was sitting in my office when I came in with Andrew. I watch my shark of an attorney turn into a softy.

 

“Honey, why are you in Brian’s office?” He asks. 

 

“Callie seems to think Brian's the only one that works here.” She tells him, handing him Andy.

 

“Where is Callie?” He asks. 

 

“Her favorite was here, where do you think?” She asks him. 

 

“Where's Justin?” I ask. 

 

“Probably spoiling Callie’s lunch. He said something about shakes and off they went.” She tells me. 

 

“So how's it been going in the life of Callie?” I ask.

 

“She still trying to have Mel and I trade babies, but I think having Gus around really helps. She’s watching how Gus adapted to all the new kids. He's been a God send when she gets jealous.” Daphne tells me. 

 

“I almost worried about how Gus would take us adopting Kayla and Joseph, but my sonny boy just seems to like all kids.” I tell her. 

 

“I know, Mel and I have been spending time together. She worried how Gus would feel about the kids living with you, but he came in while we were talking about it, and told her that nothing changed, just more kids. I think she was worried he’d want to live with you.” She tells me. 

 

“I'd be happy if he did, but she's been his mom his whole life and I refuse to change Gus’s life just because I want it.” I tell her. 

 

“It must be hard not to have him live with you.” Andrew tells me. 

 

“Of course it is, but I want what makes my son happy.” I tell him. 

 

“It you don't mind me asking, what is it with Lindsay? I don’t get the crazy moods. One minute she's plays the ‘want to be friends’, then it's like she's doing her best to make Mel miserable.” She asks. 

 

“I think she thought Mel would just roll over and accept what she did. Mel cheated on her at one time and they got back together, but Mel told Lindsay the truth, to where Lindsay kept lying. Lindsay most likely thinks Mel should have forgiven her, the way she did Mel.” I tell her. 

 

“I don’t really get cheating. I couldn’t get past it.” She tells me. 

 

“Most people never do, I know that for me, when you define a relationship, then you follow the rules. I think it helps when you really love the person you’re with.” Andrew tells her.

 

“Daddy, Uncle Justy said I could come to their house and play.” Callie comes running in but stops when she sees Andrew holding Andy.

 

“Callie, we talked about this.” Justin tells her as he walks in.

 

“I sorry, but I can’t jump on Andy.” She tells Justin.

 

“How about me?” Daphne asks holding out her arms as Callie runs to her. “Ready to go to lunch?” Daphne asks Andrew.

 

“I just need to get Brian to sign some papers and I’m all yours.” Andrew tells her, handing back Andy.

 

“I’ll meet you at the restaurant.” She tells him, taking the kids out.

 

“Thanks, she’s been better, but at times it’s like she wants us to forget Andy’s around.” Andrew tells Justin.

 

“She’s fine, it’s just everything was changing at once for her. It took time for her to adjust to the move, Andy, and me not being there as much.” Justin tells him.

 

“When you and I talked about you moving, I’ll admit I almost told you no, but it’s really given Daphne and I the chance to see what being just us is like.” He tells Justin.

 

“I didn’t want Daphne to think I was abandoning her, but we were depending too much on each other. We couldn’t expect to stay together forever, being best friends means allowing the other to be happy.” He tells Andrew.

 

It really pointed out all the things wrong with my friendships, I wanted them to be happy, but they didn’t like it if I was. I watch how Justin somehow became best friends with the person taking his best friend away. When Andrew left, I packed up my briefcase and hoped that Justin would understand what I need to do.

 

“I need to talk to Michael.” I tell him.

 

“Just pick up Gus on your way.” He tells me, kissing me.

 

MICHAEL

 

When Brian walked into the shop, I went to hug him, but he backed off.

 

“What, now I can’t greet you the way we used to?” I ask pissed.

 

“I just don’t see the point in pretending that you're the friend I thought you were.” He tells me.

 

“I am most likely the only real friend you have, I’m not running around acting like Justin’s a fucking saint, when he seems to be causing everyone’s life to go to shit.” I tell him.

 

“I’m not here to discuss Justin, my kids, or anything related to that part of my life. In a way, I’m giving you a chance to fix the shit you broke.” He tells me.

 

“Really, Brian Kinney, mister ‘I Don’t Believe In Love or Relationships’ thinks he has all the answers. Remind me again how you ended up married? It sure as hell wasn’t because you fell in love, the way I did.” I tell him.

 

“I don’t have all the answers, but I do know that what you and Lindsay are doing doesn’t make much sense. What was the purpose, to get custody of Jenny and Gus? I hate to break it to you, but any support you two think you’ll get from Mel, doesn’t outweigh how much you and Lindsay will have to pay to take care of them.” He tells me.

 

“It’s not about the money, it’s that my daughter deserves to have a father.” I tell him.

 

“Which Mel never denied you the right to be, yet it’s never enough for you.” He tells me.

 

“She promised my daughter would be raised with two parents.” I tell him.

 

“She’ll be raised with an entire family, how could that be a bad thing?” He asks me.

 

“You don’t know what it’s like to wish for a dad.” I tell him.

 

“No, but I know what it’s like to wish I didn’t have one. I know what it was like to have Deb be the mother I never had and to be thrilled that she included me in the huge heart she has. You saw the loud, brash woman, the rest of us saw the woman who said she loved us. Do you understand how what you're doing is spitting in the face of the woman who did everything for you?” He tells me.

 

“I wasn’t saying that Ma didn’t do the best she could, it’s just I could have had a father.” I tell him.

 

“He's was never going to be the father of your dreams, and your mother knew that. She spared you from having a father who wouldn’t have lived up to your expectations. Maybe it was a mistake on her part, not letting you see that Danny wouldn’t have been any happier in a marriage than my parents were. Your mother defied convention and did what she thought was right for her son, not that you appreciate what her doing that cost her. Which was her entire family.” He tells me. 

 

“We could have had one if she'd made him do the right thing.” He tells me. 

 

“What, people who couldn’t have any compassion for their daughter because she made a mistake, or Vic because his being gay went against their beliefs, but hey, since you're suddenly straight I'm sure these people you never met would be thrilled to welcome you. I mean you're halfway there, to being a good little Catholic.” He tells me. 

 

“Better them than the family who acts like I don't exist. Of course I didn't marry St Justin, so maybe it's you who needs to question your motivation for staying in a RELATIONSHIP, you know, the thing you never believed in.” I tell him. 

 

“I'm a believer Mikey, I just never met anyone who I saw as worth a relationship.” He tells me. 

 

“You need to go.” I tell him quietly.

 

“And you need to realize none of this shit is going to matter, when the people who used to care, moved on without you.” He tells me leaving.

 

“Why did you even come?” I ask. 

 

“I was hoping to find my friend under this mess, but I'm starting to wonder if we were ever really friends.” He tells me. 

 

“I am your best friend.” I tell him. 

 

“You don’t know how to be. I learned what a best friend is from your cousin.” He tells me, walking away.

 

DEB 

 

Carl was lounging on the couch when Michael barged in. I sat next to him and did what I promised Carl, nothing.

 

“Ma this is getting ridiculous, I'm your son.” He tells me. 

 

“Then act like one and sit down and give her some respect.” Carl tells him.

 

“I'm talking to my mother.” He tells Carl.

 

“Not like that you aren’t.” Carl tells him.

 

“Well she’s siding with everyone but me, so if you don’t mind I’d like to find out how she could think that she’s such a loving mother.” He tells Carl.

 

“You know Michael, I’ve always thought that your mother did too much for you, and it seems like you think she did too little. You want a father, well I’m right here. So sit your ass down and listen.” Carl tells him.

 

“Like you aren’t telling her to ignore me too.” Michael tells him, sitting down.

 

“Michael, we both want to help you, but you make it hard for us to. This Lindsay thing hasn’t fooled anyone, yet you two keep doing this shit. You're never going to be able to be a full time father, it means understanding that your needs don’t outweigh your child’s. Deb understood that at seventeen, and gave everything to you, and you keep holding out your hand for more. You’ve messed up every relationship you have, all because Brian chose someone that wasn’t you.” Carl tells him.

 

“I don’t care what Brian does, not like it will last, but I do care about my daughter. Which Brian wouldn’t understand, since Mel is taking care of Gus for him.” Michael tells him.

 

“I guess I don’t see it that way, to me, it’s Brian not wanting to take Gus away from the mother he loves and the home he knows. Michael, Justin isn’t going away, and nothing Brian is doing makes sense if he doesn’t see a future with Justin.” Carl tells him.

 

“Son, Jenny can’t replace your father, or Brian.” I tell him.

 

Michael got up started to leave but leaned over and kissed my cheek. “I might seem like I wasn’t grateful for everything you did to keep me, but I never thought about what you lost either.” He tells me and leaves the house.

 

“What do you think?” Carl asks me.

 

“It’s always one step forward and two steps back lately. Hopefully he’ll figure out what he’s doing.” I tell him.