- Text Size +


The Quarterback and the Chef

Chapter 1

"Brian?"

"Yes, Sunshine?"

"Do you think we should go over there and check on them? It's been two days now."

"Nah, they have food for a few more days and a case of condoms, oh and several economy sized tubes of lube."

"Okay. Bri?"

"Hmm?"

"You're a very sweet man, you know. He's always wanted a cozy house with a white picket fence. I can't believe you and John did that."

"It's about time those two settled down."

"Like us?"

"Not like us but they've been together for a long time and with that special high tech kitchen John installed, Emmett can create all the masterpieces to his fairy heart's delight."

"I love you, you know."

"I know, Sunshine." Justin snuggled into Brian's warm embrace.

"But, um, Bri, why did you have John put the house so far down the lane and not closer to ours?"

"A case of condoms and several large tubes of lube. It's the noise factor, Justin. I really don't want to hear them fucking every night, day, afternoon, and at snack time. Bad enough when the wind's right, I think I can hear Rachel and George."

"Ew!"

"Yup. And those hedges at the edge of our garden help too."

"Point taken. Um, Bri?"

"Yes, Sunshine?"

"We have several tubes of lube."

"Point taken, let's go make some noise of our own."

"I'm coming."

"Not yet, but you will!"

*****

"Oh my God!" Emmett screamed as he came for the umpteenth time in two days.

"Touchdown!" Drew responded as he collapsed in a heap on top of his lover. Drew and Emmett were sweaty, sticky, and in a puddle of combined goo; they were exhausted and totally loving it! After shifting in an effort to avoid the latest wet spot, the lovers cuddled.

"Drewsie?"

"Yeah, Babe."

"Did I say thank you?"

"About a hundred times."

"One hundred and one," Emmett said with a kiss to Drew's shoulder. "The house, the furniture, the kitchen, everything is so beautiful."

"And the fence? They told me you always wanted a white picket fence."

"I love it all, especially the fence," Emmett sighed contentedly. "What made you do this?"

Drew slipped his hand into Emmett's. "How long have we been coming up here to visit the guys?"

"I don't know, years. Brian bought the place before they had their ceremony. From what they told me it was just a crumbling shell of a cottage. John worked a major miracle. And it's grown more beautiful each year."

"Yes, it has. And they've managed to work in Pittsburgh or wherever they need to. I wanted the same for us. I think we deserve it, Babe. Football treated me well. I can retire permanently if I want to and support us both."

"But, Honey, I like what I do and I love living in the loft. I'd miss the big city."

"I'm not saying I'm ready to give up the loft or leave Pittsburgh. I just want us to have this option. To come here when it gets crazy in the city. To have a quiet place to put up our feet in the off season. You know what I mean?"

"Oh yes, Baby, I know exactly what you mean. And I want that too."

"With this new fancy kitchen, you can create your masterpieces here, if you want to. Or hire people to do it for you."

"But Drew..."

"Wait, hear me out. Babe, you've been running your party planning business virtually on your own and out of the loft kitchen for years now. Don't you think it's time to take on some permanent partners? You're out there hustling up work when you don't have to. Your creations speak for themselves and you have a list of repeat clients a mile long. All society in a one hundred mile radius call you when they want to plan something special. It's time, Babe."

"Time for what?"

"Time for you to move the business and your trays out of the loft and into a legit place."

"What kind of place?"

"I don't know. Maybe a small café."

"Wait, wait, wait! I can see it, a small intimate bistro. It doesn't need to seat a lot of people because the real business will be my planning business. It can be all kitchen and the customers can test my new creations! Ooooo, I love it. You're so smart."

"Nah, Babe, you're the smart one. But this way you can hire real chefs and maybe have interns from the culinary school."

"Like Kinnetik and their interns."

"See! Now yer talkin'. And you'd still have your kitchen in the loft..."

"And here."

"And here, to cook up a storm when the creative juices start flowing."

"Mmm, no more talking. I have some juices that want to flow and I don't think we christened the rug in front of the fireplace yet," Emmett purred as he rolled onto Drew.

"Let's christen the shower again and then we can break in the rug," Drew purred back.

"Then the kitchen counter," Emmett suggested.

"Before or after dinner?"

"After," they said in unison then giggled at their silliness. Drew gathered the tall queen into his arms to embrace him.

"Emmett Honeycutt, I am so grateful you were there when I finally grew up," Drew murmured then kissed his lover gently.

"So am I, Honey. You've made me so happy," Emmett said with happy tears in his eyes. "I love you, Drew Boyd."

"I love you too."

It was some time before the fireplace rug got christened.

*****

Two days later early in the morning there was ringing of the bell and pounding on the door of Edna's Treasures. Brian and Justin were still sleeping, as was Miss Briana. The constant pounding and ringing seemed to have no effect.

"Where the fuck can they be, Drewsie?"

"Maybe we should go. Either they're not here or they're still asleep. Let's hope it's the first one or Brian will fucking kill us," Drew explained as he tugged on Emmett's arm.

"They must be here. Both cars are parked over there," Emmett replied, gesturing in the general direction of the vehicles next to the house.

"Maybe they went somewhere with John and Bobby. Let's go. They're not here," Drew insisted.

"I'm going to try once more," Emmett decided as he placed his thumb on the doorbell and held it there. He pounded the door with his other fist.

A bark greeted this action, then another, followed by growling and more barking from the other side of the door.

"Now you've done it!" Drew said pulling Emmett away from the door. "That must be that dog that John got for Christmas. Let's go."

"He's just a puppy," Emmett said.

"He must be almost a year old by now. Come away, Emm. I have a bad feeling about this."

Beau continued to bark and growl behind the door. Emmett finally gave in and was just starting to walk away with Drew when the door to Edna's Treasures was yanked open and an angry looking Brian Kinney stood there holding Beau by his collar. Both Drew and Emmett involuntarily looked down to see if Brian was naked. He had a pair of shorts covering his nether regions. The glances were not lost on Brian.

"Sorry to disappoint you boys," Brian said sweetly, and Emmett started to smile. "What the fuck do you think you're doing?" Brian demanded, his expression changing from a sarcastic smile to his best death glare.

"Did we wake you?" Emmett asked in a squeaky voice.

"What the fuck do you think?"

"Your hair would indicate that we had," Emmett ventured to say.

"Leave my fucking hair out of it! Explain yourself or I'm releasing Beau's collar," Brian threatened.

"Fuck, Brian, that is one big dog," Drew observed.

"I thought he was a puppy," Emmett said hesitantly. Brian sounded serious about unleashing this hound from Hell on them.

"Wait till he grows up. He'll take your head off in one bite," Brian stated.

Emmett turned white and Drew backed up a little further.

"I just wanted to talk to you about something," Emmett said softly.

"Something! You couldn't fucking call first?"

"I … I didn't think… Now that we're so close, I just thought I'd pop over."

"You better rethink your popping," Brian warned.

"Invite them in, Brian," Justin called. "I put on a pot of coffee."

"Why should I?" Brian asked belligerently.

"Because we're not going to get any more sleep," Justin reasoned.

"Should I let them in, Beau?" Brian asked.

Beau growled and gave a woof, but then he sat down beside Brian. Everything seemed to be all right.

"Nice doggie?" Emmett said as Brian stepped back for them to enter.

Drew and Emmett quickly slid through the door, avoiding Beau as best they could.

"I would advise you to stop and let Beau have a sniff," Brian said.

"Oh?" Emmett asked in surprise.

Brian nodded. "They're okay, Beau," Brian said. "For now."

Beau approached the two men. Drew held out his hand and let Beau sniff it. Emmett followed suit. Beau accepted their pats, gave a little woof and headed for the sun porch.

"That was easy," Emmett said breezily.

"Until I tell him to sic!" Brian said with the appropriate glare.

"You wouldn't…" Emmett started to say.

"Brian, stop being so mean," Justin chided.

"Me, mean? What about raving lunatics who pound on people's doors at the crack of dawn?" Brian demanded.

"It's almost nine a.m.," Drew said in defense of their actions.

"We slept that late?" Justin asked as the coffee was almost ready. "I wonder why Bree didn't wake us up?"

"I better go check on her," Brian said.

Justin started pouring coffee and set out some muffins that he had bought the day before. Brian returned without Bree.

"Where is she?" Justin demanded, suddenly worried.

"Sleeping peacefully."

"But that's not like her," Justin protested.

"We were all up kind of late last night," Brian reminded his husband.

"Yeah, I guess."

"She'll wake up soon. I need some of that coffee."

Justin handed him a mug which he doused with sugar and eagerly sipped.

"You guys always have the best coffee, but these muffins are for shit," Emmett stated.

"Then don't fucking eat them!" Brian retorted. "Or else bring some of your own with you."

"Next time I will."

"What makes you think there will be a next time?" Brian asked raising a threatening eyebrow.

Drew watched the exchange and decided he better step in. "Brian, Emmett wanted to thank you for all the work and time and everything you did to help get the house built."

"And with a picket fence," Emmett said, positively swooning.

"Don't make me regret those actions," Brian said menacingly.

"Never!" Emmett promised crossing his heart. "I really do appreciate everything, Brian."

Brian nodded.

"He was happy to do it," Justin said giving Brian a poke in the ribs.

"Yeah, happy."

"Well, that's good. We really are most appreciative," Drew added.

"So is that all you came here to say?" Brian asked.

"Well, no," Emmett admitted. "I'm thinking of having a party and I wanted to run it by you." Emmett bravely looked into Brian's eyes.

"You're the fucking party planner. Why would you need to run your party ideas past me?"

"Because this one involves you."

"Me? What the fuck are you cooking up?"

"I … I think we should let the 'Family' see our new residence," Emmett said with a big smile, making quotation marks around family with his fingers.

"You mean you want to show off?"

"Well, yeah," Emmett gushed. "It's so delicious. They all know I wanted a little house with a white picket fence and now I have one. I want to share."

"And gloat," Brian stated.

"Maybe just a little," Emmett laughed.

"What does this have to do with me, or should I consider this my invitation?" Brian asked.

"Oh yes, by all means, consider yourself invited, but I want to have the party here."

"Here?"

"Well, you're the one with the party space, and I thought if you invited people to a party here, then we could go for a walk and they'd all be surprised by the new cottage, and then I could tell them it's mine … ours," Emmett said in one breath, ending with a kiss for Drew.

"That's what you thought, huh?" Brian asked.

"Yes," Emmett said. "It will be a surprise, won't it?" he asked suddenly, as a new thought struck him. "Everybody doesn't already know about this, do they? I mean, it is going to be a surprise to the Family. I wasn't the only one kept in the dark … was I?"

His look of panic was adorable in Drew's eyes and downright funny in Brian's. Brian giggled before he could stop himself.

"The only one who knows is Ted, because he dealt with the paperwork," Justin said taking pity on Emmett.

"Teddy? And he didn't tell me?"

"Under threat of death," Brian supplied.

"Really?" Emmett asked. "You boys were very good at keeping the secret."

"Why do you think we didn't have a fucking Fourth of July party this year?" Brian demanded.

"Oh … I see," Emmett said. "Anyway, do you think you could invite people and we could have the house be the surprise?"

"How's this weekend?" Justin asked.

Brian glowered at Emmett, but Justin kissed his husband softly. They all knew the party was a done deal after that.

"I think we'll need a little more time to plan the perfect party, and everybody knows that Brian Kinney only gives perfect parties," Brian said with his smirk firmly back in place.

"We can choose a time for the party later," Emmett suggested.

"Dada! Daddy!" a little voice called as Bree came running down the hall in her pink PJ's.

"Morning, Squirt," Brian said as he pulled her onto his lap.

"Morning, Dada." She kissed him and then reached for Justin. "Morning, Daddy." That was followed by another kiss.

"Maybe we should get one of those for our new house," Emmett said wistfully as he watched Bree greet her fathers.

"Time to go home," Drew said, quickly taking Emmett's arm and pulling him out of his seat. "Don't want to wear out our welcome."

"I'll be in touch, Justin … about the party," Emmett called as Drew steered him towards the door.

"Bye, Auntie Emm. Bye, Unca Drew," Bree called.

"Bye, sweetheart. I'll be over tomorrow," Emmett stated.

"Not before noon," Brian yelled as the front door slammed.