- Text Size +

 

The Quarterback and the Chef

Chapter 12

Emmett and Drew were about to head back to the city. John and his crew would be at the bistro bright and early Monday morning to complete the restaurant section, the two upper floors where Emmett's office was going to be and the small backyard. John had suggested that the tiny bistro have sidewalk seating like some of the restaurants in New York. Emmett liked the idea of outdoor seating in nice weather but the sidewalk of Liberty Avenue, while very 'colorful' was unappetizing, in Emmett's opinion. John then suggested turning the small private courtyard in the back into an intimate eatery. Emmett loved the idea so John had his men working on it.

Before leaving the 'country', Emmett and Drew drove to Edna's Treasures to say goodbye. Bree came running out to say goodbye to her Auntie Emm.

"Auntie Emm!" Bree shrieked as she came barreling out of the house toward the Hummer, her little bare feet crunching on the pebbles.

"Sweetheart!" Emmett laughed as he scooped the little girl into his arms. "Girl, the bottoms of your feet are going to be tougher than shoe leather by the time you turn sixteen!" Emmett exclaimed, as he gave the little princess a kiss.

"Watch it, Squirt, your fairy godmother gives big wet kisses," Brian snarked in his warning.

"I know, Dada! I love Auntie Emm's big wet kisses," Bree giggled out, as Emmett tickled her tummy then handed her over to Brian.

"We're heading back," Drew informed Brian. "The Ironmen have some away games before their opener in Pittsburgh, so I'll be traveling with them." Brian nodded in understanding.

"And your brother is almost finished with my bistro. I have to invite you all to the opening," Emmett gushed.

"We'll be there," Justin, who had also come out to say goodbye, said with a sunny smile.

"Emmett, did you set the timers like John showed you?" Brian asked with a scowl and an arch to his brow. "I will not be responsible for dead plants and a brown lawn because you've neglected your chores." Brian was adamant.

"Oh poo, I forgot. I have no head for these things. This being a homeowner is hard to get used to," Emmett said with a toothy grin.

"Don't worry, Babe, I took care of it. And I contacted the landscaper Brian recommended. They'll send a crew around to tend the lawn while we're in the city," Drew stated.

"Thank the gods there's one of you with some common sense," Brian growled.

"Brian, you are just plain ole bossy, you know that?" Emmett replied.

"Your point?" Brian groused.

"None, just stating the obvious. Well, toodles, y'all, see you back in the Pitts!" Emmett called out as he got back in the truck. Drew waved then the two drove off, both waving at Bree who was waving back at them.

"Come on, Miss Squirt, let's check to see if all of your homework is done," Brian said as they headed back into the house.

*****

"Hello! Anybody home?" Michael called out as he came into the bistro.

"Back here!" Emmett yelled out from the yard. Michael walked toward Emmett's voice which led him to the courtyard.

"Hey, Emmett, do you know your front door is unlocked?"

"It better be or else John's crew will have a devil of a time bringing in all their equipment."

"Aren't you scared that someone might rob you?"

"Well, if they're that desperate for some tables and chairs then I guess they're welcome to them. I can't keep running back and forth to open the front door, I'd never get any work done. Besides my staff will be arriving soon."

"Your staff?"

"Yes, my staff. I've hired a full time chef and a waiter slash host. If we get busier then I'll hire more help. Oh, and the CIP is sending over an intern."

"CIP?"

"Culinary Institute of Pittsburgh."

"Oh, I didn't know there was a Culinary Institute."

"Neither did I until the dean called me. He said he heard about the bistro and he wanted to know if I'd need an intern. As it turned out I had catered his daughter's sweet sixteen party. He's looking forward to coming here and tasting some of my latest creations." Emmett was bursting with pride.

Michael watched as Emmett was taking some measurements along the stone wall that surrounded the yard.

"What are you doing?"

"John had suggested some intimate lighting and he also found someone who sells replicas of the lampposts that line Liberty. I was thinking of having one installed here. I'm just not sure if I want it in the middle or off to the side."

"Off to the side would be practical," John said as he walked into the yard. "Wouldn't want anyone banging into it with a tray."

"True, but won't the light annoy the neighbors?" Michael asked.

"The only neighbor is the back of the other building; however, we can have the back of the lamp painted so that the light will shine only into the yard," John informed them.

"Ooooooo, you Kinney men always have great ideas!" Emmett gushed as he edged closer to John.

John took a giant step backwards. "Stop right there!" John said as he held up his hands. "I heard about you, Honeycutt, and your lethal kisses. We'll have none of that here. A simple handshake will do nicely," John said with an arch of his own Kinney brow. Emmett's squeal of laughter could be heard out onto Liberty Avenue.

*****

"So, Emmett, honey, what are you going to serve?" Debbie asked as she completed her tour of the bistro.

"For now, just some simple pastries and tarts. Maybe some healthy whole grain muffins and of course, a selection of gourmet coffee and teas. And on those cold days, hot cocoa!"

"I thought you were going to serve real food," Debbie almost shrieked.

"I'll leave the real food to you and the diner. I want this place to be a small intimate place. We only have room for two tables in here and four out back in the nice weather." The bistro was all oven and bakery racks with simple counters and one refrigerated display case. Emmett decided less was more.

"What about this booth?" Debbie asked as she pointed to a special booth with the aubergine tablecloth. Emmett had decided to splurge on one full elegant place setting.

"I suppose I can use the booth for a party of four but I want this to be for my clients to sample the goodies I'll serve at their event."

"Oh, well, that makes a helluva lotta sense. Instead of you lugging your stuff around, they come to you."

"That's right and they get to sit in a special booth. I think it's cozy."

"I think you're right. You're so smart," Debbie said, as she stretched up to give Emmett a peck on the cheek.

"Deb, you're not mad that I opened up this place, are you? I mean it really isn't competition for the diner."

"Honey, how can I be angry with you? This place is so different from the diner, no slinging hash here!" Debbie and Emmett laughed loudly. "Besides, I don't own the diner, I just work there. And I better get over there. I promised Lacy to get there early. She has a two o'clock class. Bye, Emm!"

"Bye!"

*****

"Hiya, Emm!" Ted called out as he walked into the bistro.

"Teddy! It's been ages. You want some coffee?" Emmett offered.

"I didn't think you were open for business yet," Ted said as he gratefully accepted a cup of coffee.

"Technically I'm not, but the boys are still banging away upstairs creating an office and a showroom. They need coffee so I figured it could start small and keep adding. My pastry chef has already started."

"I can see that." There were rows of colorful fruity tarts cooling on the racks and a large tray of muffins. "Is that a blueberry muffin I see?" Ted's mouth was practically watering.

"Yes, you want?"

"Yes, please!"

Emmett placed a muffin in the center of a plate then put a pat of butter on the side. "Go sit, I'll bring it over."

"You don't have to serve me."

"Ted, I know you helped with the paperwork for the cottage. It would be my pleasure to serve you. You know I love you, Teddy," Emmett said warmly.

"I love you too, Emm." The two friends shared a quiet moment together.

*****

"Hi Emmett!"

"Molly, honey! Are you here by yourself or is that handsome husband-to-be with you?"

"By myself. I wanted to ask you about the menu," Molly said.

"Well then, let's slip into my special booth and we can discuss it. I just need to get my planner." As Emmett went to fetch his planner a couple walked into the bistro.

"Molly?"

"Dad! Susan! What are you doing here?" Molly asked her father and stepmom.

"We could ask you the same," Craig said.

"I came to go over some details for the wedding and I wanted to see Emmett's new place."

"I heard Emmett was opening up a little café. I thought I'd like to see it too," Susan said. "Your father had some time and decided to join me."

"I might as well see where my money's going," Craig grumbled.

"Mr. and Mrs. Taylor! How nice to see you," Emmett sputtered as he came back with his planner. "Please have a seat," Emmett indicated the special booth. He brought over a silver tray with an elegant pot of coffee, creamer and sugar bowl. Then he brought a tray with dainty fruit tarts. The table was already set for four.

"Please help yourself to a tart," Emmett offered as he poured the coffee. Craig and Susan looked very impressed. Molly smiled and gave Emmett a conspiratorial wink.

It looked like Emmett's Place was going to be a hit.

*****

Debbie hustled into the Liberty Diner.

"You ready to go, kiddo?" she asked Lacy.

"Pretty much."

"Well, get a move on."

"Deb, I…"

"Yes, what is it?" Debbie asked with a frown.

"Do you think I'm doing the right thing letting my father pay for PIFA?"

"Are you fucking kidding me? Of course, it's the right thing. How else were you going to swing it?"

"I … I don't know. It did take a lot off my plate, but I'm still worried that I've let my father … help me, and I might come to regret that. I think I was better off doing everything on my own."

Debbie frowned and studied the young girl. She knew how far Lacy had come from the first time she had met her, but there was still a lot of that insecure young girl hidden inside of the burgeoning woman she saw before her.

"Sit down for a minute," Debbie said sliding into an empty booth. "I want you to listen to me. Are you listening?"

"Yes."

"Nobody's truly alone or independent. You know that old adage about no man being an island, well, it's true. Even on the streets you had friends, didn't you?"

Lacy nodded, not that they had been friends who could help her very much, but they did look out for each other.

"You're scared to let your father in, because he's let you down in the past. But, that doesn't mean he's going to let you down in the future. He came through with your tuition. He comes to visit you and he calls all the time, doesn't he?"

"Yes, he does," Lacy admitted with a faint smile.

"Then take it day by day. Don't judge him too harshly. Give it a chance."

"I just don't want to be hurt again."

"I know, none of us does. But to quote someone we both know, 'Go out there and be the best homosexual you can be.' That's the best way to prove yourself and show the world … and your father. You're going to do just great."

"Thanks, Deb," Lacy said looking into Debbie's eyes.

"Now, get going before you're late for class, and I have to take back all the nice things I just said."

"Yes, ma'am," Lacy smiled. She got up and hurried into the back to get her books.

Debbie watched her disappear and knew in her heart that working at the diner was still the right thing for her to do. So many of these kids needed a shoulder to cry on or an ear to listen. She still had an important role here.

With a sigh she stood up and turned to the booth behind her. "Refill?" she asked. She hustled behind the counter to get the coffeepot. It was going to be a good day.