- Text Size +

 

The Quarterback and the Chef

Chapter 14

Brian, Justin and Bree were sitting in the back booth at the diner. It was late Sunday morning and they were having brunch or "bunch" as Bree preferred to call it. Gamma Debbie was serving them and had brought Bree her pancakes and Justin the super duper breakfast. Brian was having coffee, and whatever he chose to sneak off Bree's or Justin's plate. Bree was trying to make him eat a forkful of her pancake which Brian had cut up into small pieces for her. Finally he gave in and gobbled down the pancake, making Bree giggle, as he growled like Beau when the dog was chowing down.

"Lacy," Justin said as the girl walked by to put in an order. "I was hoping to talk to you about PIFA."

"I'm kinda busy," she said uncertainly.

"Not that busy," Debbie said snatching the order from her hand. "I can take care of your customers for a few minutes. Sit. Talk." She bustled away to put in the order.

Lacy chuckled and shook her head. She slid into the booth beside Justin. "It's going … great! I am so happy."

Justin was as happy for her as she was for herself. He pulled her into a big hug. "That's great. You know if you need anything, all you have to do is ask."

"I know," she smiled. "And believe me, knowing that made everything so much easier. But my Dad has paid the whole year's tuition and he helped with my books. Those are the biggest expenses. Working here covers everything else. And of course Debbie has been wonderful."

"That's great to hear. How are the courses?" Justin asked.

"Hard, but I'm learning so much."

"Stick with it, kid, and you'll go far."

"Thanks, Brian. I intend to. I'm working hard, but I can see a bright future ahead of me."

"Then that's the best thing of all," Justin said hugging her again.

Brian nodded his approval.

"Pancake, Lacy?" Bree asked. "I share."

"Thanks for the offer, sweetie," Lacy said, "but I need to get back to work. Those tips come in handy these days."

Lacy went to get the coffeepot and start a round of refills.

Brian groaned. Bree was holding the piece of pancake that she'd offered Lacy up to his lips. He opened his mouth and she popped it in. He chewed and glowered at Justin.

"Stop that," Justin ordered as he shoveled in more of his breakfast. "You know a couple of pieces of pancake aren't going to add any pounds."

"You'll have to help me work it off when we get back to the cottage."

"That could be arranged."

"More pancake, Dada," Bree said as she had the next piece ready for him.

"Are you eating any of that?" he asked her.

"Yes, Dada. I full."

"So am I," Brian stated. But Bree held up the piece of pancake and he dutifully ate it.

"My God, she's actually getting Brian Kinney to eat pancakes with syrup," Emmett crowed as he and Drew walked back to the booth where Brian and Justin were sitting. "Scrunch over, sweetie," Emmett said to Brian as he slid in next to him. Drew planted himself next to Justin. "And how's Princess Bree?"

"Good," Bree said with a coy smile. "Want some pancake?"

"No thanks, sweetie. I want a whole stack of them. Deb, did you hear that?"

"Coming right up," Debbie said as she hurried by the booth.

"I'll have scrambled eggs and bacon," Drew called out.

"Got it," Debbie said without missing a beat.

"What are you two doing here this morning? I thought you'd be lying in bed basking in the afterglow of your triumph yesterday," Brian said.

"I was until a few minutes ago," Emmett grinned. "Then I got hungry."

"Aren't you the chef?" Justin chuckled.

"Yes, but my Aunt Lula always used to say that food tasted better when someone else cooked it."

"What about the bistro?"

"It's closed on Sundays," Emmett said, "but maybe I'll have to rethink that." He looked around at all the people enjoying brunch.

"Might be good business," Brian said as he finally ate the last remaining piece of pancake that Bree fed him from her plate.

"Yes, it might be. I have a mortgage to pay and money to make," Emmett said as Debbie set his breakfast down in front of him. "Thank you all for coming to the opening. It was a big success."

"It was great, Emm. Everybody enjoyed themselves and the food was wonderful," Justin contributed.

"My partner is the best chef and … just the best," Drew said with a look of pride on his face while he buttered his toast.

"No, sweetie, my partner is the best," Emmett stated squeezing Drew's hand.

"Let's get out of here, Justin. I think those pancakes are going to come back up," Brian snarked.

"You're trapped in there, and you're going to listen to me gloat about yesterday. You will listen to every word," Emmett told him. "And you will enjoy it."

"Yes, master," Brian said contritely.

Bree giggled as she hugged her Dada.

*****

With the holiday season fast approaching as well as Molly's wedding, the members of Brian and Justin's vast family were all in overdrive.

Bree appeared to be excelling in her class. She missed Ashley, however, so Justin arranged for a couple of playdates. It became a little tense when Justin discovered that Ashley's mom wasn't as openminded as they thought. It took a little convincing from Briana's teachers and several bright sunny smiles from Bree and Justin to convince Mrs. St. John that Ashley wasn't walking into a den of iniquity. Justin invited Mrs. St. John to stay for coffee and cake as the children played in the Wendy house while it was still warm enough then in the sun porch. By the end of the afternoon, Briana and Ashley had another playdate planned.

Since Emmett and Drew were spending all of their time in Pittsburgh, the canine member of Edna's Treasures diligently continued his patrols. Soon Beau learned a very valuable lesson in timing. One day while on patrol the automatic sprinklers came on soaking the poor dog. Beau appeared to find it amusing; Brian, however, did not.

Brian pulled up in his Corvette wearing one of his more expensive and impressive suits. Beau decided that Brian needed an especially enthusiastic greeting. He shook his whole body spraying Brian with muddy water then he stood up on his hind legs placing his muddy paws on Brian's chest. Brian dropped his briefcase as the big dog slurped at his face. Needless to say Brian was not happy. He quickly changed his tune when Beau gave him one more wet slobber then picked up Brian's briefcase by his teeth to bring it into the cottage. Both Beau and Brian received a hot bath before dinner.

Emmett's Place was doing very well, better than anyone had expected. Now that Emmett's clients had a place to come to, they phoned in special orders of their favorite Emmett creations. Emmett took on another pastry chef to keep up with the orders. And then there were Molly's wedding preparations to finalize.

As often as they could, Drew and Emmett would reconnect, when Drew was in Pittsburgh for the Ironmen home games. They were both extremely busy men but they promised each other that as soon as the holidays and football season were over, they'd spend some time alone in the cottage.

*****

"Brian, so good of you to come," Owen Sr. stood to shake Brian's hand. Brenner Industries wanted to revamp their ads. Brian had decided to go to him.

"I know how busy you are, Mr. Brenner. It's a pleasure to see you again."

"Brian, please call me Owen. We're about to be family." Brian smiled, pleased by the warm welcome.

"How goes the wedding plans?" Brian asked and Owen Sr. visibly sighed. "That bad?"

"No, not really, but my wife has her opinions..."

"And Molly has hers."

"You should consider a career in politics. That was very diplomatically said. Junior and I try not to take sides. We go where we're told, stand where we're told and say very little. Don't get me wrong, Molly is a wonderful young woman. She's strong, intelligent and very sweet. Junior loves her and I can see how much she loves my son but she's a bit..."

"Tenacious?"

"Ah, you know the type."

"Runs in the family. May I offer you some advice in dealing with Molly?" Owen Sr. nodded. "Lay out all the facts, don't sugar coat anything. Molly and Jennifer value honesty. If you cut the bullshit, your dealings with Molly will go a lot easier. I do realize that in certain circles its common to try to outdo the 'Jones'. Craig Taylor will do his best to live up to society's expectations, even if it's not what Molly wants."

"My wife has a tendency to subscribe to the same philosophy. She means no harm by it; it's just how she was brought up. I worked hard for my success and money; she was born into it."

"Then you understand what I mean."

"Yes, I do, Brian. And I thank you for your candid advice. It'll help. I think we've been driving the young ones crazy with all the plans. The guest list alone is frightening." Owen Sr. sighed again then asked his assistant to bring in some coffee. Owen Sr. and Brian got down to business.

*****

"Mr. Brenner, Craig Taylor is here," Owen's secretary announced.

"Okay....damn, I let the time get away from me. I didn't realize how long we were talking. Brian, your ideas are as innovative as always. That's why I wanted to renew our contract. Now, we're not in any rush."

"We can time the campaign so it hits just after the new year. It was good to see you again, Owen."

"We'll see each other again at the wedding. I'm looking forward to seeing that angel of yours walk down the aisle with her basket of flowers. We did good work today. Thank you."

Brian smiled then dipped his head modestly. "I'll see myself out."

As Brian walked out into the outer office Craig stood. "Kinney, what are you doing here?"

"Kinnetik handles the PR for Brenner Industries. What's your excuse?" Brian scowled.

"I came to discuss the wedding plans," Craig said abruptly then his voice softened. "How is Briana?" Craig asked with a slight plea.

"She's very well, thank you. She started pre-school this September," Brian said proudly.

"Has she? My God, they grow up so fast, don't they?" Craig said like any dad.

Brian smiled sweetly. "Yes, they do. She's in a class for gifted children." Brian heard Craig's sharp intake of air. "And she's hell on a soccer field." Brian couldn't help but laugh at the picture in his mind of Bree's tiny legs running and kicking the ball.

"You don't say. She's that good? And at this age?" Brian nodded. "Well I'll be damned. Justin and Molly were smart but they were never into sports..." Craig caught himself. He was actually carrying on a conversation with Brian Kinney. A civilized, normal conversation like any two proud fathers. It boggled the mind.

"And Justin is...is he well?" Brian nodded silently, afraid to speak too much and disrupt the moment. "His Old Masters show?"

"Still in New York. It'll go on the road after the new year." Craig cracked a small smile. Just then Owen Sr. came out of his office to greet Craig.

"Craig, forgive me, I'm running late. Thank you for waiting. But I'm interrupting," Owen said noting the slightly tense atmosphere.

"Not at all, Owen," Brian said. "I was just leaving. Thank you again and I'll see you both at the wedding." Brian held out his hand which Owen Sr. shook enthusiastically. Brian turned and held out his hand to Craig. Craig looked at Brian's outstretched arm. Slowly he extended his arm to meet Brian's halfway. Brian, never hesitating where angels feared to tread, took Craig's hand and gave it a firm squeeze. He nodded at Justin's father, released Craig's hand then strode out of the office. It wasn't until Brian was sitting in his car that he actually remembered to breathe.

*****

"Mom, Mrs. Brenner, it's too late to make any changes in the plans now. It's less than two months away!" Molly was getting angry; her frustration was getting the better of her. She wanted a small intimate wedding, now it had risen to the scale of a royal wedding. Molly was tired of it and she still didn't know if her father was going to escort her down the aisle. She had no idea if Craig had any intention of attending her wedding at all.

"Molly, sweetheart, Sharon is just making a small suggestion. I'm sure Emmett can handle it," Jennifer said carefully. She knew Molly had just about had it. She was afraid her daughter would bolt.

"Mom, I don't care if Emmett can handle it. As a matter of fact I don't care if this wedding happens at all! Better yet, why don't you all have the wedding without me!" Molly shouted as she slammed out of their condo leaving Jennifer and Sharon shocked into silence.

TBC...we hope.


The End.
SabinaThymeSunshine is the author of 78 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 1 members. Members who liked The Quarterback and the Chef also liked 130 other stories.
This story is part of the series, The Sunshine Files . The previous story in the series is A Pup's Life. The next story in the series is 24.