- Text Size +

 

The Quarterback and the Chef

Chapter 2

"So, let me get this straight, Emmett wants to throw a surprise party for his new house," Bobby said with just a touch of snark in his voice.

"Yup," Justin replied.

"And he wants to do it here," John added.

"Yes," Justin confirmed.

"And we should do this because?" Brian asked his spouse. He did little to hide the annoyance in his voice.

"Oh, Brian, how many times has Emmett come through for you? He almost single- handedly saved that meeting you had with Brett about Rage and every time we have a major party, he's here with all of his creations. And even when the family brings food to our parties, he's here to organize things. And then there was Bree's christening party. The Christmas dinners, Thanksgiving, New York, ..."

"Enough, Justin!" Brian yelled holding up his hands in surrender.

"So, you'll do it?" Bobby asked.

"He'll do it," John confirmed.

"I'll do it, but I'm not happy about it. It's been nice and quiet around here without all the barbecues," Brian grumbled.

"Brian, you are so full of shit," Justin called Brian out. "You know you love Emmett; he's been a good friend. To all of us." Justin glared at Brian, daring him to contradict him. "And Drew is an asset to Kinnetik, so can the shit and call them over here. We have a surprise party to plan." Justin stood in front of Brian with his arms crossed in front of his chest. Brian looked at his determined spouse then at his brother and brother-in-law. John and Bobby stayed silent. Neither one of them wanted to contradict Justin either.

"Yes, dear," Brian said meekly, with a small crooked smile. Justin merely 'harrumphed.' He sat down next to Brian then slipped his hand into Brian's. Brian sighed then leaned in to kiss the blond head. Justin knew that Brian would go all out and throw the best surprise party he could.

"Um, since we're here together and Beau is a part of our collective family, I want your opinion on something," John ventured softly. The guys leaned in to listen. From his bed in the sun porch, Beau raised his head when he heard his name mentioned.

"Beau is a year old now and I should make a decision," John began. "The vet wants to know if we want to "pick Beau's pockets," so to speak."

"You are not talking about..." Brian did not want to finish the thought. Brian's eyebrows arched all the way into his hairline.

"What? What?" Justin didn't know what the expression meant.

"You mean...?" Bobby didn't want to say it either. The three men exchanged looks then all crossed their legs.

"You don't mean get fixed, do you?" Justin didn't know what the big deal was. "You know, it's much healthier for dogs to get neutered, and do it when they're young. They have less risk of getting tumors when they get older, and other infections. And sometimes it makes a male dog more docile and more manageable but in Beau's case that's not a factor. In cats, neutering prevents them from spraying all over the place. I'm not sure if it's the same with dogs but I suspect it is. The vet should be able to confirm that. We can do some research then bring it to the vet to discuss our options," Justin said all matter of factly and to the shock of the guys.

John shook his head then turned to look at Brian.

"Animal Planet," Brian mouthed back and John nodded.

"Well, um, uh, thank you, Marlin Perkins," John said. "I'll take it under advisement and speak with the vet. As for Emmett's party, Justin's right. Emmett and Drew have always pulled their weight when it comes to our family parties and he did help out a lot in New York. He does deserve a party. Count me in."

"Me too," Bobby said.

"You know my opinion," Justin offered.

"Then we adjourn this meeting while I call our number one fairy godmother and his man over here. Let's go people," Brian announced loudly as he clapped his hands, "we have a party to plan!" The men of Edna's Treasures laughed loudly then began to prepare themselves for the party of the season.

*****

"Oh, squee." Emmett emitted his best squeal as he hung up the phone.

"What the hell is that for?" Drew asked with a grin. He loved Emmett's squees.

"That was the infamous Mr. Brian Kinney telling me that he and all of Edna's Treasures are on board for the party."

"They are?" Drew asked looking slightly surprised.

"Of course they are, sweetheart. Why would it ever be otherwise?"

"After the welcome, or lack thereof, that we got this morning, I hardly expected Brian to agree … at least not so quickly."

"Brian and I have an understanding. He's … an interesting piece of work," Emmett said philosophically.

"That goes without saying," Drew chuckled. "But it sounds like there's more to that statement than the average family member is privy to."

"Very true and very observant on your part, my lovely Drewsie."

"Care to enlighten me some more?"

Emmett looked thoughtful for a moment, like he was considering how much he should say. Then he poured himself another cup of coffee and sat down beside his partner. "This stays between you and me. Understood?"

"Certainly," Drew replied. He could keep a secret. Hell, he had kept the secret of his sexuality for the better part of his life. Besides, he liked a juicy bit of gossip or private information as well as the next guy. He took some more coffee for himself and leaned in to listen to Emmett.

"Brian's been very good to me over the years," Emmett said glancing around his beautiful kitchen in his new home, largely due to Brian's generosity and help.

"That he has, if this house is any example," Drew admitted.

"I'm not sure why that is, but I think Brian respects me."

"He fucking better. There's lots here to respect," Drew said squeezing Emmett's hand.

"Thanks, sweetie, but I didn't always think that was the case."

"What do you mean?"

"Well, flaming queens are hardly Brian's thing."

"No kidding," Drew chuckled.

"Sometimes I used to think Brian barely tolerated me being around. He has quite the acid tongue when he chooses to use it."

"And you were on the receiving end?" Drew asked.

"Many's a time," Emmett said remembering. "But the funny part is that, no matter how harsh Brian's words might be, he always spoke the truth. He usually made me and anyone else he spoke to face something they'd rather not deal with."

"Like what?" Drew asked curious for an example of what Emmett was talking about.

Emmett sighed. "When Teddy and I were in the bad part of our couple phase and he got screwed up on crystal, Brian told me I should treat him like he was dead, or I'd go down with him."

"Brian said that?" Drew asked totally surprised that Brian would say that about someone who was now Brian's closest business partner.

"He did. I was trying to help Teddy, but he wasn't ready for help. Brian made me dance with him at Babylon and ignore Teddy. I think that was the beginning of Ted trying to pull himself out of the morass he had fallen into. Anyway, I like to think that. Brian made me see that I was enabling Ted with his sick lifestyle, and that I was sinking down with him. Things could have been very bad for both of us."

"But they turned out okay for both of you."

"Largely due to Brian."

"How so?"

"When Ted got arrested because of violations at his porn site, I went to Brian and asked him to help Teddy. Of course, Brian refused, but a few days later the charges suddenly were reduced and Ted didn't have to go to jail."

"And you think Brian managed to do that?"

"He was working with Stockwell then, so yeah. It wasn't one of his finer moments, that Stockwell time, but he came around. He's done a lot for a lot of people. I only know what he's done for me … and Ted. But I'm sure every member of the 'family' could tell their own story of what Brian has done for them. He never talks about it or blows his own horn."

"Who would have thought?" Drew said shaking his head.

"He helped you after you came out."

"That's true. I needed a job when he came along with his ad campaign."

"See, that's exactly what I mean. You think it's coincidence, but often it's not."

"Gotcha, Babe," Drew smiled.

"And now we've got each other, and this beautiful house, and my picket fence and now a party!" Emmett gushed.

"Absolutely!" Drew agreed as he leaned across the table to kiss his excited partner.

*****

"So what's the hook?" Brian asked as he poured refills of iced tea into everyone's glass. It was a pleasant Sunday afternoon mid-July at Edna's Treasures. Emmett and Drew were spending extended weekends at their new cottage. Emmett made little changes to the decor, opting to fill his space age kitchen with the latest and most chic appliances. The guys were relaxing in the garden of Edna's Treasures as the children, with Beau supervising, were playing peacefully in the Wendy house.

"Hook?" Emmett asked.

"Yeah, what reason do we give to have this shindig? The fourth has come and gone and Labor Day is a month and a half away. Why are we having this barbecue?" Brian knew they didn't need a reason to throw a party. The family would all clamber to spend a day at the cottage and feast like pigs.

"Well, Danny hasn't been up here. And I imagine Hunter and Nick could use a break considering all that's happened to Hunter recently."

Brian and the guys nodded in agreement at that statement. Rita was fading, living out the rest of her days at the hospice. Hunter would visit daily but her cancer had spread and she no longer recognized him. That didn't stop Hunter from sitting and reading to her every day.

"And I do need to finalize things with Molly and Owen. Oh, and Jennifer has found me the perfect place to turn into my bistro. It was a former bakery not too far from Mikey's comic store. It has a wonderful kitchen. It needs work but I think we can turn it into something fabulous! Just pick a reason," Emmett gushed. His excitement was almost palpable. The bank pre-approved a loan and John had drawn up plans for the renovations. Kinnetik was already preparing the advertising. Emmett was in the process of hiring permanent staff. Everything seemed to be falling into place.

"Then pick a date," Brian demanded.

"How does the 30th sound to everyone?" Drew suggested for which he received murmurs of agreement. "Babe, why don't you invite Hunter and Nick for a long weekend? They both have vacation time due them."

"Oh, Drewsie, that's a fantastic idea. I love it! And I love you," Emmett gushed as he gave Drew a big, wet, sloppy kiss. The guys chuckled as Brian made gagging noises.

"Count me out if you two are going to get all mushy. John, remind me again why I ever thought that having these two as neighbors was a good thing?" Brian got hit by a flurry of balled up napkins.

*****

"Bree, are you going to school with me this year?" Patrick asked as he meticulously colored in his coloring book. Justin had found a book of landscapes just begging for a child with imagination to fill them in with color. Bree had her own book; however, she preferred to paint. Justin had set up a small easel and watercolors for her.

"That's what my daddies told me," Bree replied somewhat apprehensively. Bree was excited to go to 'real' school but was already missing her friends at her 'work' school. Brian and Justin had taken Bree to Patrick's school to meet the teacher she would have in the Fall.

"That's good, then I can show you around," Patrick said. He liked that he could show his best friend his school.

"You will?"

"Uh huh, and I know the best places to play at recess," Patrick said proudly.

"Wow!" Briana said with awe; maybe going to a new school wouldn't be so bad.

*****

"Brian, can I ask you something?" Brian was loading up the dishwasher with the dirty glasses when Emmett walked into the kitchen. John and Justin were preparing the grill for an impromptu barbecue. Bobby and Drew were having a heated but friendly debate regarding baseball and football.

"If you must," Brian snarked.

"Are you our landlord?"

"I guess technically I am. The land that the cottage sits on is mine. John thought it wise to have just one name on the deed. However, what's mine is Justin's. Eventually, I was going to transfer that lot over to you and Drew. Bobby will go over the details with you. Why?"

"I wasn't sure if I should pay you rent."

"Rent? I would never ask for rent. When John moved Rachel and George's house we transferred that parcel over to them."

"Brian, why did you do it? Not that I'm not grateful. I love it here, but if you were going to do something like this, why not Teddy or Michael or even your mother? What did we do to deserve this?"

"Emmett..."

"Brian, this goes beyond friendship."

"Emm, you are a friend, a good friend, and there's something about this place, this land that I thought you guys would appreciate. Ted likes to visit but he and Allen belong in the Pitts. Their lives revolve around there. Michael and Ben have their own house and Mikey needs to be close to JR. Same with the munchers, and as for my mother, her life is in that house. She's even let me and John make some improvements on the place. I know you and Drew like the city but both of you are country boys at heart. I just thought it was time."

Brian and Emmett stayed quiet as Brian took out the steaks and chicken he had marinating. Emmett started to slice up vegetables and portabello mushrooms for grilling.

"I wish there was something I could do to show my appreciation," Emmett said.

"You have already. Every time Kinnetik calls upon you, you've been there. And then there was all the help you gave me in New York, and we couldn't have pulled off the christening party without you. I'm the one who should be showing you appreciation. Besides, you've put up with all my shit for a lotta years."

Emmett stopped his slicing to turn to give Brian a hug. The tears in Emmett's eyes were not from the onions he was handling. Brian allowed the hug but for only a moment, then he batted away the tall queen's arms.

"Stop it, you big fairy, and get your ass out there and start cooking. We have mouths to feed."

"Who are you calling a fairy?"

"If the wings fit..." Brian was feeling a bit too emotional himself. He needed Emmett to get out of his face.

"I'm onto you, Mr. Kinney," Emmett laughed as he wiped the tears from his eyes.

"Get. Out. Honeycutt."

"Oh, pooh! And don't call me Honeycutt," Emmett groused as he grabbed the tray of meat and vegetables to take out to the yard, leaving Brian alone shaking his head.

"Hey, Bri, what was Emmett grumbling about?" Justin asked as he came into the kitchen. "I thought I heard him complaining about some old queen." Brian giggled as he drew Justin into his arms for a kiss.

"It's nothing, Sunshine. Just Emmett being Emmett," Brian answered as he hugged Justin, resting his chin on the blond's head. Justin was onto Brian too.

"Uh huh, just what I thought too," Justin said as he wrapped his arms around Brian then smiled into Brian's chest.