- Text Size +

 

The Quarterback and the Chef

Chapter 4

"What's that?" Melanie asked.

"Oh, Dad's got some new neighbors," Gus said nonchalantly.

"I bet your father isn't too pleased about that," Melanie said with a smirk. She still enjoyed seeing Brian Kinney's life turn out less than perfect.

"I … I couldn't say," Gus said carefully as their car proceeded up the lane.

"It's a very pretty little cottage," Lindsay observed as she turned to look back at it.

"Very rustic," Melanie snorted. "I wonder what sort of person lives there."

"I love the picket fence," Lindsay said with a sigh.

"We have a fence," Melanie informed her wife.

"I know, but the white picket is a … classic."

"Did your father tell you someone was building next door?" Melanie asked Gus. "It's a wonder he didn't buy up all this land and keep it all for himself."

"I think he mentioned that there was construction," Gus said.

"Has Brian met the new people?" Lindsay asked her son.

"I think so."

"What did he say about them?"

"Nothing that I remember," Gus said non-committally.

"I wonder if he'll invite them to the party," Lindsay speculated.

"Not bloody likely. He's probably pissed off that they're here," Melanie scoffed, as she pulled the car to a stop outside Edna's Treasures.

"Thanks for dropping me off, Moms," Gus said as he scrambled out of the car and grabbed his bag. He was staying with his father until the party was over the coming weekend.

The door to the cottage opened and Bree ran out to hug her brother. He picked her up and swung her around making her squeal with delight.

"Watch you don't make her throw up," Brian said coming up behind them. "She just had a snack."

"Oops," Gus said setting Bree down.

"I no throw up," Bree declared. "Again!" She reached her arms up for Gus to swing her around again. Gus looked at Brian who shrugged and Gus grabbed Bree swinging her even higher than before.

Brian watched them and had to smile. He picked up Gus' bag. Leaning down he looked into the car. "Linds, Mel, care to come in?"

"We have to get back to JR. She's with her grandfather this evening," Mel stated.

"Thanks for driving Gus out. He'll be a big help with the party."

"No problem," Lindsay said with a smile.

"See you all Saturday," Brian said standing up and waiting for Melanie to back the car out.

Gus set Bree down and they all waved to the departing car.

"So how did it go?" Brian asked.

"Hook, line and sinker," Gus chuckled. "Mama thinks you're pissed that you have unwanted neighbors and Mom loves the house. I think she'd like one of her own."

Brian groaned. "What have I started?"

Gus shrugged.

They all headed inside.

*****

"Mr. Montgomery," a voice said as Hunter entered the front door of the hospice.

"Yes?"

"It's your mother. She seemed to take a bad turn last night. She's…"

"Is she gone?"

"No, but I doubt it will be long. Just wanted to warn you," the woman said as she turned to leave. She still hated giving this kind of news even though she had done it many, many times.

Hunter made his way down the hall to his mother's room. He glanced inside and saw her lying in her bed. He could almost pretend she was just sleeping. Almost, but he knew better. She had shrunk away to almost nothing, the cancer eating away at her from inside. He felt a tear well up as he moved inside and sat beside her bed.

"Mother," he said softly. "I'm here." He picked up her hand, so small, as he placed it in his own. It felt cold and for a moment… But he looked at her closely seeing her chest rise and fall shallowly. He gently rubbed his hand over hers spreading his own body heat gently into her. He sat for a long time doing that.

He had almost decided to leave when he felt her hand squeeze his ever so slightly. Her eyelids fluttered and she whispered, "Jimmy."

"I'm here, Mom. It's okay."

"Jimmy," she repeated and then the eyes closed.

Hunter felt the tear drop from his eye. He wiped it away quickly. She had called his name maybe for the last time. He took her hand that he still held and laid it gently at her side. "I'll be back a little later, Mom," he said as he got up. He went to call Nick.

*****

"Gus," Bree said as her brother was having a snack in the kitchen. She began to bat her eyelashes at him.

"What do you want, Squirt?" Gus knew that look. It had power over the Kinney men.

"Can you take me and Patrick to the stream? It's really hot and Daddy and Dada are doing stuff with Auntie Emm. Unca John and Unca Bobby are working. There's no one to play with us," Bree said in her best put-upon voice as she had spread her arms to emphasize her point.

Gus smirked; he knew he was had but it didn't matter. He loved his baby sister and Patrick. He knew his dad trusted him with the kids.

"Sure, Bree. Go tell Patrick and get your bathing suits," Gus said as he finished his snack.

"Yay!" Bree squealed then took off like a rocket to find Patrick and her little pink bathing suit. Gus cleaned up his plate and cup then went to find his dad.

"Hey, Pop!" Gus called up to the attic office. Brian, Emmett and Justin were up in the office planning the party. Brian popped his head over the rail.

"I'm going to take the kids to the stream," Gus announced. Beau began to bark and jump around the sun porch. "And I think Beau is coming with us." Gus laughed as Beau jumped higher, his tail swishing wildly.

"Okay, Sonny Boy, have fun. Beau, you keep an eye on them, boy," Brian commanded then retreated back into the battle room.

*****

"Emmett, everyone got their invitation, they're all coming. So what is the problem?" Brian demanded to know.

"I want everything to be special," Emmett said with a slight whine.

"Oh for fuck's sake, it will be special," Brian exclaimed with exasperation.

"Maybe I should host it down at my place, then it would feel like my party," Emmett said.

"But you said we had the space for it," Justin added.

They remained quiet for a while thinking over their options.

"The family is coming here, right?" Brian stated.

"Right," Justin and Emmett said together.

"They already got the hint about new neighbors, right?"

"Right," Justin and Emmett answered again.

"And you do have a fancy schmancy kitchen that can feed thousands, right?"

"Right!"

"So, we set out hors d'oeuvres and drinks for the masses here. We wait until everyone has arrived then we casually lead them down the lane to your house. We can have everything set up in your garden."

"What about the food that you know everyone will bring?" Emmett asked.

"We can pack it all up in coolers and discreetly drive it all down there," Brian said.

"Bri, what if it rains?" Justin asked quietly.

"It wouldn't dare rain but if it did, then we keep the party here and take the family down to Emm's a few at a time." It appeared that Brian had thought out the plan.

"Sounds good to me!" Emmett gushed. He really wanted to host his own party.

"Then if this meeting's adjourned, I say we pack up a little lunch and meet the kids at the stream. I could go for a dip." Brian's suggestion was met by expressions of disbelief. "What? I like the stream. It's one of the reasons I bought this place."

"Brian, you do know there are frogs at the stream," Emmett stated.

"Are you implying that I can't handle a little frog," Brian said smugly.

"No, I'm not implying anything. I know for a fact that you can't handle frogs, little or otherwise. I, on the other hand, am not afraid of frogs. We had loads of them down in Hazelhurst," Emmett boasted.

Brian shot him a death glare. Justin merely giggled at the exchange of the two friends. He had no intention of interrupting their banter. It was good to see Brian and Emmett so relaxed and free to be themselves. Justin relished in it.

Brian grumbled something unintelligible then headed down the spiral staircase and toward the kitchen to pack up goodies to take to the stream. Neither Justin nor Emmett saw the silly grin on his face.

*****

"Hunter?" Nick came into Rita's room at the hospice. Hunter was sitting at her bedside. Father Tom, who over the years had become the spiritual guide of the family, was there reciting the Lord's Prayer and offering the last rites. Rita Montgomery had passed quietly a few moments earlier.

Nick bowed his head until Father Tom had finished then he took Hunter into his arms. Father Tom made a discreet exit out of the room and went to speak to the administrator. Not many priests or ministers in the community thought to donate time at the hospice; Father Tom had taken on that responsibility. He was on-call to the hospice.

"Thank you, Father Tom," Nick said softly, as he walked into the administrator's office. As referring physician, Nick was able to start the process for Rita's remains, and Hunter needed some time alone with his mother.

"You're most welcome, and call me Tom."

"Thank you, Tom."

"Does Hunter have any arrangements in mind? There's no call for an autopsy. The hospice doctor will sign the death certificate. Did Hunter say anything about a funeral?"

"No. He has no other family that he knows of, and he and Rita did not follow any religion. If she had never contacted Hunter, Rita would have died on the street," Nick said sadly.

This aspect of life hadn't occurred often in Nick's upbringing. He had a family where everyone knew each other. The elders were all cared for, religion was important and funerals were done to honor their loved ones. Sensing some misgivings Tom offered counsel.

"Nick, does this bother you? This part of Hunter's past."

"No, not really. When we met, Hunter was open and honest with me, about everything. Brutally honest at times but he did it so I would know what I was up against and could make my choices. This doesn't bother me, but I am worried about Hunter."

"Don't be," Hunter said as he came into the office.

Hunter was saddened by Rita's death but relieved, relieved for many reasons. Rita had been unfinished business, always out there, a possible threat to Hunter and the life he had built. Now that threat was gone. But Hunter was also relieved to know that Rita had spent the remainder of her days warm, clean and well looked after. She didn't suffer like so many others had, dying on the streets alone. For that Hunter was grateful.

"Hunter, are you okay?" asked Nick with concern.

"I'm fine. She died without pain and in peace. Father Tom, I was never baptized and I'm not sure what religion my mother was born into. It would be hypocritical of me now to have a ceremony. I'd like her remains cremated and then buried in the local non-sectarian cemetery. Can you help me make those arrangements?"

"Of course, we can have it all done in a couple of days."

"Thank you, I'll handle the expense," Hunter added.

"No, we'll handle the expense," Nick said, emphasizing the 'we' part. "You and I are partners; we do this together. And then we're going to Brian's party. We've been invited to stay at the cottage. You and I deserve a vacation and I won't take no for an answer," Nick stated.

"I received a summons myself," Father Tom contributed. "It seems that I'll be blessing a new cottage. Do either of you know what that's all about?" Tom asked the boys. Hunter and Nick shrugged.

"Hunter, let's lay your mother to rest then get on with living. You both deserve that. You honored your mother's last days on earth and now it's time for you to honor yourself with some peace and sun at the cottage."

Hunter and Nick agreed with Tom.

*****

"I understand. Are you sure you don't need anything? I know you can but I'm here whenever you need me, son. I'll see you and Nick on Saturday. Goodbye, Jimmy." Steve hung up the phone then walked out into the farm yard.

"Bill, I need to go home for a few minutes. I'll be back soon," he called out over to Bill, who was showing some former firebugs the art of feeding pigs. Steve went to the barn for his horse. It was the fastest way to get home.

"Claire?" Steve called as he walked into the kitchen. Claire came in from the living room.

"What's wrong?" Claire knew from the tone in Steve's voice that something had happened and he rarely left the Farm during the day in the summer months.

"I got a call from Jimmy. His mother passed."

"Oh dear, that poor boy."

"Yes, I offered our assistance but he and Nick have it under control, or so he says. That Father Tom is also helping. They all intend to be there for Brian's ta-doo."

"How did he sound?" Claire asked. Hunter was good at hiding his feelings but not to them.

"Tired, relieved that it's over. The boys invited him and Nick for a vacation at the cottage. He's taken them up on their offer."

"Will there be a funeral?"

"No, the poor thing will be cremated then buried Saturday morning."

"Steve, does the family know?"

"Not yet. He wants us to tell the boys, but Jimmy doesn't want to put a damper on the festivities. The news will be out soon enough. He doesn't want any special treatment even though I think he deserves it. That boy's been through the ringer."

"Honey, what time is the funeral?"

"Not sure but I could call Father Tom."

"Do it. Hunter should have family there." Steve gave his wife a kiss then picked up the phone.