- Text Size +

 

The Quarterback and the Chef

Chapter 5

Brian was lounging on the big rock by the stream watching Gus spray Patrick and Bree with water. The younger children were squealing as they ducked and bobbed trying to avoid Gus' shots of water.

Finally Gus stopped shooting the sprays of water and came over to plop down beside his father.

"Tired?" Brian asked.

"Those two would have me doing that for hours on end," Gus laughed. "How do you keep up with them every day?"

"We split them up. John and Bobby get one and we deal with the other."

"Ah, so that's the secret. Divide and conquer," Gus laughed.

"Exactly."

The two leaned back on the rock and watched the little ones searching for frogs or colorful rocks or whatever caught their attention.

"Dad, is there much to do to get ready for Saturday?"

"Not really. We decided that we'd have hors d'oeuvres and drinks up here, and then we'd parade them all down to Emmett's and have the rest of the party there."

"Does Emm need any help?"

"He might. We can give him a call when we go back to the house. I don't want Bree out in the sun for too much longer."

Gus nodded and turned his face up to the sun. It was warm and felt really great after the brisk water of the stream.

"Brian," Justin called. He entered the clearing by the stream carrying his cell phone.

"What's up, Sunshine?"

"It's Steve. I'm afraid Rita is … gone."

"Shit!" Brian reacted. "Is Steve still on the line?"

"Yeah, he wanted to talk to you. They're burying her Saturday morning."

"Does he want us to cancel the party?"

"No, but he wants to talk to you."

Brian took the phone. "Steve? How's Hunter?"

"He sounded okay when I spoke with him. I think part of him is glad it's over, but another part knows that he will never have a mother again."

"Even though she was a piss poor mother," Brian said shaking his head. "I know what that's like."

"But your mother is still alive."

"I was thinking about my father," Brian admitted. "But this is not the time. What arrangements is Hunter making? I can cancel the party if he wants."

"Rita Montgomery has no family or friends except for Hunter so he's having her cremated with interment Saturday morning. He doesn't want a big fuss made. In fact, he as much as said that only he and Nick would be there."

"But you think some of us should go too?"

"Hunter needs support even if he may not know it."

"Justin and I can be there."

"I was hoping you'd say that. Claire and I will be too. Bill needs to stay with the boys at the Farm."

"What about the party?"

"I think we can do both, and Nick wants to come out and spend some time at the cottage with Hunter. I think they need some time away."

"Then that's what we'll do." Brian looked up at Justin who nodded his approval.

Brian got the time of the interment from Steve and then hung up.

"Poor Hunter," Gus said. He had listened to the whole thing.

"It's for the best. Hunter's mother was very ill. There was little point in drawing things out," Justin said gently.

"I can't imagine what it would be like to lose my mother … either one of them."

"You have a very different relationship with your mothers than Hunter had with his," Justin continued.

"Yeah, but it must be … hard," Gus stated.

"I don't think you'll have to deal with that for a very long time, Gus," Brian said standing up. "Come one, you two," he called to Bree and Patrick. "Time to get out of the sun."

"Look what we found," Patrick called as he and Bree ran over to the adults.

"Frogs," all the adults said together.

"No, Dada," Bree said solemnly. "We find gold."

"Gold?" Justin asked.

Patrick held out a little rock that looked surprisingly like a gold nugget.

"It isn't real gold, is it, Dad?" Gus asked.

"Iron pyrite, I bet," Brian said. "But it's nice and shiny. Might as well be gold."

"We'll be rich," Patrick said with a big smile.

"No, we're the rich ones," Justin said as he picked up his daughter and gave her a big hug. Brian ruffled Patrick's hair and threw his arm over Gus' shoulders as they all headed for the house. Patrick carried his nugget of gold, but they all knew what was really worth a fortune at Edna's Treasures.

*****

"Christ, this is turning into a circus!" Hunter groused. "I wanted a quiet funeral with just us and Father Tom, now half the family is here!"

Steve, Claire, John, Bobby, Brian and Justin drove in Friday night instead of the crack of dawn on Saturday morning. Drew and Emmett were informed but thought it best to stay at their country home. Emmett had a lot of cooking to do. Rachel had the kids stay over at her house.

"Baby, this is far from a nightmare. The nightmare would be if all of your Liberty Avenue family came," Nick tried to sound reasonable.

"But I just wanted it to be us," Hunter sighed.

"It will be us, but you need your family and I need for them to be there too. Please, baby, for me. In a few hours, it will all be over," Nick pleaded.

Hunter realized the past few months were just as stressful for Nick as they were for him.

"I'm sorry, I'm being a shit again. I'm grateful that you called Steve."

"What about Michael and Ben?"

"Yes, them too. If you hadn't called them, I would have, maybe. I'm just not sure if I can handle Mikey and his suffering routine." Nick gave Hunter a disapproving look. "Yeah, I know, I need to work on my people skills right now. Just let me get this all out now before I make an asshole of myself at the funeral, okay?"

"Okay." Nick embraced his lover. "We do this together, baby." Hunter looked up into his lover's eyes and saw only strength and love.

"Thank you," Hunter whispered.

*****

It was a quiet ceremony at the cemetery. The summer sun was warm, humidity low with a pleasant breeze. Ben and Michael flanked Hunter and Nick as they sat through the simple service Father Tom gave. Steve, Claire, John and Bobby stood close. Not wanting to aggravate Michael who would occasionally throw his own death glares at Brian, Justin and Brian decided to stand several feet back.

At the close of the service, the attending family expressed their condolences to Hunter and Nick. As they started to walk away, Hunter broke ranks to approach Brian. Michael watched as Brian threw his arms around the younger man to give him a hug. Brian whispered some words into Hunter's ear. Michael glared as Hunter nodded then giggled. Brian lifted Hunter's chin to look into his eyes then Brian kissed Hunter's forehead. Justin too, gave Hunter a warm embrace. Hunter said something to Justin which made Justin scowl, just a little. Hunter laughed as Justin gave Hunter a little shove toward Nick. Brian held out his hand which Justin took. Brian and Justin walked hand in hand back to John's Navigator to wait for John, Bobby, Claire and Steve.

"What did he say to you?" Michael demanded of Hunter.

"What did who say?"

"Brian, he said something that made you laugh." Michael was pissed that Brian had the nerve to make Hunter laugh at something as serious as a funeral.

"He wanted to know if I packed my thong bathing suit," Hunter said with a smirk.

"Fucking bastard, he has some nerve asking a question like that. Why would you need to pack a bathing suit?"

"Because, Mikey, after Nick and I go home to change out of this get up, we're going to the cottage."

"You can't!"

"Why can't I?"

"Because your mother just died. That insensitive fucker can't really believe you'd want to go to a party now."

"Michael, that insensitive fucker as you call him knows that a party with my friends and family is exactly what I need. Nick and I both need a break. Besides, my mother has been dead to me since the first time she brought home a trick for me to do."

"But Ben and I wanted to spend the day with you," Michael whined.

"Then follow us up to the cottage and we'll spend the day. Our bags are all packed and I have it on good authority that the brass bed is very comfortable. I intend to find that out for myself." Nick put his arms around his lover to lead him to their car.

*****

"Do you think it's going to rain?" Justin asked as they drove back to Edna's Treasures. The morning had gradually turned grey as they left Rita's funeral.

"It fucking better not," Brian reacted. "There will be one very upset fairy to deal with if it does."

"Maybe it will clear out," Justin responded hopefully.

"If I was as powerful as Michael thinks I am, I'd snap my fucking fingers and the clouds would roll away."

"He never spoke to you at all, did he?" Justin asked referring to what had happened at the interment.

"Not a word," Brian said softly. He had been going to approach his friend, but Michael's glares had shown Brian that that was not an option.

"I guess we won't have to worry about him and Ben attending the party."

"Emmett will be upset if he doesn't come, but I don't think it's likely that Michael will condescend to join us. This is supposed to be my fucking party after all. Michael doesn't know that it's really for Emmett."

"Maybe you should call him and tell him."

"He wouldn't answer when he saw my name on call display. Besides, he's cutting his own throat, and I'm sick of bailing him out."

Justin reached over and squeezed Brian's thigh. "It'll be a great party with or without Mr. Novotny." The SUV turned into the lane leading to Edna's Treasures.

"Maybe better without," Brian said. "We don't need a downer today. Is that fucking sunshine I see?" Brian asked as he stopped the car outside the cottage and opened the door.

"I do believe it is," Justin said with a smile that matched the rays of sunshine peeking through the cloud. "Did you snap your fingers when I wasn't paying attention?"

Brian laughed and flung his arm around Justin's shoulders as they headed for the front door. "Let's go see if our minions got all their work done."

*****

The sun porch was set up with trays of hors d'oeuvres. Emmett had prepared some of his best ones, and they looked delicious. Gus had worked with Emmett all morning, and Rachel had come over from her place to lend a hand. Brian had a bar set up at the kitchen counter with beer and wine and any kind of alcohol that his guests might want. There were lots of soft drinks for the kids and anyone who didn't want something alcoholic. The sun gradually shone through and it was a beautiful summer day, not too hot since the clouds had helped keep the temperature down.

Emmett came out of the kitchen and surveyed the sun porch. He hugged himself and pinched his arm making sure that this day was really happening. Everything was ready at his place for the barbecue and the big reveal of his dream cottage with the white picket fence. He could hardly wait.

"You okay?" Drew asked stepping up behind him and encircling Emmett's waist with his arms.

"I'm so happy," Emmett said fighting back tears.

"Hey, don't cry," Drew begged. He could tell from the hitch in Emmett's voice that he was on the verge of waterworks. He turned Emmett around and kissed him long and slow. "No tears, not even happy ones."

"I … I can't believe it. I have everything I ever wanted. It's almost too good to be true."

"No, it's not. You deserve every bit of it. Today is your day."

"You're right," Emmett squealed as he threw his arms around Drew's neck and hung on. "It's all thanks to you. You are the best thing that ever happened to me."

Drew smiled. "No, you're the best thing that ever happened to me. I would never have achieved … such peace and happiness without you."

Emmett felt the tears well up again. "Oh Drew," he whispered as he buried his face against Drew's neck.

"Honeycutt, cut the crap. Your guests are starting to arrive and you're going to fuck up your makeup if you carry on," Brian said as he stuck his head into the sun porch.

"Oh poo," Emmett said wiping at his eyes. "And don't call me Honeycutt."

Brian grinned and went back into the kitchen. The first car carrying their guests was pulling into the driveway.

The next hour was spent eating and drinking and reconnecting. By three-thirty everyone had arrived, including Michael and Ben and Hunter and Nick. The former came into the cottage and went directly to Debbie and Carl. They did not stop at "Go" or greet their hosts. Ben quickly got Michael a beer and tried to smooth feathers.

Brian watched Michael's actions and shook his head. Justin was beside him at the kitchen counter and merely leaned his head on Brian's shoulder and let out a sigh.

"At least he's here," Justin whispered.

"Yeah."

Hunter came up to the bar. "Hi, guys, thanks for inviting us."

"No problem," Justin said. Brian merely gave a little smile.

"We really appreciate the chance to get away and…" Nick started to say.

"Commune with nature?" Brian asked with a chuckle.

"Something like that. By the way, thanks for coming this morning. I think it made it easier having everyone there," Nick added.

Brian looked at Hunter. "Is that right?" he asked with raised brows.

"Yeah," Hunter admitted giving them a grateful smile.

"Good. So what can I get you to drink?"

Emmett was fluttering around refilling trays and carrying food to some of the older participants like Joan. He would catch snippets of conversation about the new cottage down the lane and who it might belong to. He was bursting at the seams to tell them.

"When are we going to tell them?" Emmett whispered in Brian's ear as he came in to get a glass of wine for Joan.

"I had an idea about that," Brian said keeping his voice low.

"You haven't told anyone, have you?"

"Of course not. I know how to keep a secret, unlike some people in this fucking family."

"Okay, just asking. What's your idea?"

"Follow my lead and I think you'll figure it out."

Emmett opened his mouth to say something, but Brian turned and walked out into the sun porch clinking a knife on the side of an empty beer bottle. That was where most of the guests were and the noise got everyone's attention. Emmett felt his heart start to race. Drew stepped up beside him and put his arm around Emmett's back. He felt his partner lean into him for support.

"Ladies and gentlemen," Brian called out.

"My, aren't we formal," Melanie snarked.

"All right, you fuckers," Brian said glaring at his old nemesis. Everyone laughed.

"That's for gar-gar, Dada," Bree said seriously.

"You're right, Squirt," Brian replied smiling at his daughter. "Ahem, there has been a lot of questions about the new house down the lane. I want you all to know that some very … acceptable people have moved in there." He didn't look in Emmett and Drew's direction.

Emmett smiled. That was a big compliment coming from Brian.

"And where are these acceptable people?" Melanie asked. "I thought you told us they would be here."

"They are here in spirit," Brian said seriously.

"What?" Emmett asked. This wasn't how it was supposed to go.

"They are very gracious, and have asked that we all proceed down to the new house for a barbecue at their place," Brian explained.

Emmett felt his grin start and continue to expand. This could work.

"So, if you will haul your asses out of your chairs, we're going to take a leisurely stroll down the lane, and you will meet the owners of the new house."

Everyone started standing up and gathering their things. Some finished off drinks or grabbed a handful of hors d'oeuvres, in case these new people didn't know how to do a proper barbecue.

"Follow Justin," Brian ordered.

"Aren't you coming?" Justin asked.

"I'll bring up the rear. There's something I want to do first."

"Okay," Justin said raising his hand and starting out of the house.

"Who are these people?" Debbie asked as she and Carl went by.

"It's lucky it didn't rain," Lindsay said as she took Melanie's arm ready for the walk.

"What the fuck kind of party is this?" Michael asked Ben as he went by Brian without giving the man a look.

"I think this is fun," Nick said as he took Hunter's hand and they headed out. John and Bobby and the rest of their clan went next. John winked at Brian as he went by.

Joan came up to Brian. "Who are these new people, Brian?"

"You'll find out in a minute," Brian smiled. "Would you like to ride down to the house, or you could walk … with me?"

"I'd love to walk with you," Joan said taking Brian's arm.

"Me walk too," Bree said placing her little hand in Joan's. The Kinneys stood outside of Edna's Treasures and watched the large group of people making their way down the lane.

"Won't your new neighbors be overwhelmed with such a big group?" Joan asked.

"No, I don't think so," Brian said with an enigmatic grin. "They seem able to handle anything."

Just then Beau raced down the lane catching up with John and Bobby and Patrick. He didn't want to miss a barbecue either.