- Text Size +

 

The Quarterback and the Chef

Chapter 6

"Mom, hold up a minute, I forgot something," Brian requested of Joan. She stood by the front door to wait for Brian. Brian could see the family slowly walking down the lane. He ran back to the sun porch to Emmett and Drew.

"Go, now. Cut through the garden path toward your house. If you hurry, you'll beat us there. Go!" Brian shooed Emmett and Drew. Drew knew the path well. He grabbed Emmett's hand, then like the quarterback he once was, he began to run. Emmett did his best to keep up. The high brush and trees on the lane side of the path, hid the lovers as they ran toward their cottage. They beat the first of the family by several minutes.

"Brian, what's going on?" Joan asked.

"It's a surprise, really. I promise, only happy things today, okay?" Brian pleaded. Joan saw the mischievous and happy expression on her son's face. Something she never saw when Brian was a boy.

"Okay, Brian," Joan conceded.

Within fifteen minutes, the family gathered at the front door of the 'acceptable' neighbors' cottage. Brian could hear the murmurs of approval for the overall look of the house and gardens. And they all loved the white picket fence.

"This looks like your handiwork, John," Ben commented. Ben loved the quaint peacefulness of the home.

"I love the flowers," Lindsay said with admiration. "Is that lavender I smell?" She inhaled deeply.

Brian beamed with pride; he had chosen every plant. Brian made his way through the crowd to the front door. "Shall we meet our new neighbors?" Brian asked as he lifted the knocker.

"Hell-oo!" Emmett called out as he opened the door then he squealed with delight. The whole family started to talk all at once. "Wait! Wait! I'll explain!" Emmett cried but the family continued talking, not allowing Emmett a word in edgewise. Drew put two fingers into his mouth then let out a loud whistle effectively gaining everyone's attention and shutting up the crowd.

"Welcome to our home," Drew said with a smile as he and Emmett stepped aside to allow the family to enter the new cottage.

After giving the fifty-cent tour, Emmett and Drew led the group out to the yard where tables and chairs were set up for Emmett's feast.

Emmett was definitely the queen of the day as he regaled the family all about the surprise his man had presented him with and all about his new bistro. Emmett was gesturing madly as he went on and on with his story. The family was amazed that Emmett had no clue what Drew was up to, and they didn't know anything about Emmett wanting to open up his own restaurant. The whole story was a complete surprise to the family. As Emmett babbled on, Drew, John and several others put the meat on the grills and the food on the tables.

Brian discreetly slipped away at some point to check on the herbs in the greenhouse. That's where Carl found him.

"You know something Brian, after all these years, I still can't figure you out. And I always prided myself on being a good detective," Carl admitted to his friend and boss.

"What's to figure out?" Brian retorted as he stuck his finger into a pot of oregano. The soil felt dry so he took out a watering can, filled it from the spigot then began to water the herbs.

"Brian, don't give me that innocent routine. It doesn't work on me. You've made Emmett and Drew very happy men and they deserve it, but I want to know why."

"Why what?" Brian kept watering.

"Why them? Why those two in particular?"

"You're the detective."

"And you're the mastermind. Thank God you use your powers for good and not evil, or I would have had to arrest you years ago." Brian let out a giggle at Carl's observation. "Now answer the question before I set Debbie on you."

That comment immediately stopped the giggling. Brian shoved over a couple of stools to allow them to get comfortable.

"Okay, officer, I'll talk," Brian snarked. "First, John and I have been talking about buying up the surrounding land for years, ever since we decided to join the cottages. It seemed logical. Both of us love the peace and quiet up here."

Carl could understand that.

"We sold off the parcel that Rachel and George's house is on to Rachel and George. We're in the process of making a similar arrangement with Emmett and Drew. They are committed to each other even though they haven't had a ceremony. Those two fags are really in love."

Carl nodded, he knew how devoted Emmett and Drew were.

"As to why those two in particular, it should be obvious."

When Carl didn't say anything, Brian continued. "The Munchers', as well as Ben and Michael's lives are very closely connected to Pittsburgh and Liberty Avenue. The same goes for Ted and Allen and for Nick and Hunter. Hunter may like to visit up here or at Claire's, but his life and his work is there on the streets of Pittsburgh. Joan has finally found peace in her home. My sister and her boys visit regularly, as do Joan's friends from church."

The expression on Carl's face made Brian laugh.

"Yes, believe it or not, my mother has friends. And since she's allowed me and John to subtly update her house, she actually has friends that come to call. That leaves Emmett and Drew."

Carl nodded in agreement.

"Drew wanted a home to retire in. I know he's too young to retire fulltime but he could if he wanted to. Football was good to him and he invested wisely. His work with the Ironmen is seasonal. He can stay up here in the off season. Emmett, on the other hand, has no intention of retiring anytime soon, but Drew pointed out to the big fairy that it was time for him to move the cooking out of the loft. Emmett found the old bakery and made an offer to the building's owner, which was accepted. John has the plans for the renovations to turn the bakery into a small bistro and Emmett's been interviewing permanent staff. No more using the diner's kitchen for his creations when he has a big job. They intend to spend most of their time in the Pitts and come up here for long weekends and holidays. And we all know Emmett wanted a house with a white picket fence."

"That's true. He always talked about it," Carl added.

"And then there's the other reason," Brian began, but hesitated to say.

"What's that?"

"Drew asked."

"Just like that?"

"Just like that." Brian checked the remaining flowerbeds. Finding the soil sufficiently moist, he put the watering can back on its shelf. They were quiet for a few moments. The aroma of fresh herbs filled the greenhouse.

"Brian, what about Debbie?"

"What about her?"

"She's not getting any younger, neither am I."

Brian thought for a moment, choosing his words carefully.

"Carl, you and Deb are the youngest people I know. Debbie won't leave the Pitts as long as there are lost boys or girls who need her. But you say the word and John and his men will build you a cottage up here too."

Without missing a beat, Carl replied, "In between you and Emmett? No, thank you. With his squealing and your growling, how's a man to get any rest? And I won't mention all the homo sex going on around here."

"We'll put you across the lane. You won't be able to hear a peep from us over there. Besides, you should be accustomed to that by now," Brian said with a straight face.

Brian and Carl cracked up with laughter.

"You know something, Kinney, you're all right in my books. But I gotta warn you, Michael still hasn't forgiven you about that thing with Hunter. And now, building a house for Emmett, you may have made an enemy for life."

"Carl, I love Mikey, you have to know that, but I can't run my life by his warped sense of right and wrong. I have to do what I think is right for my family."

"I know that, son, and so does Debbie. We'll try to get Michael to see reason but he's a stubborn son of a bitch."

"Tell me about it. But thanks for the vote of confidence." Just then Briana, with Justin hot on her heels, ran into the greenhouse.

"Dada! I found you!" the little girl exclaimed, as she threw herself into Brian's arms.

"I didn't know I was lost, Squirt," Brian said as he kissed her little face.

"You were missing and Auntie Emm was worried."

"I didn't know he cared that much but now that you found me, let's go back to the party. I need to have a word with Auntie Emm about him neglecting these poor plants. If he doesn't water them regularly, Emmett's going to have dried herbs for his masterpieces instead of fresh," Brian stated with a slight scowl and an arch of his brow.

Justin and Carl exchanged looks. They did not want to be in Emmett's shoes at that moment.

"Dada, we hafta teach Auntie Emm all about gar-gar!" Bree said decisively.

"You are so right, Miss Bree!" Brian hugged his daughter close, kissing her all over her cheeks.

"Hey, I want some of that too," Justin said, as he stepped in close to get his share of the kisses.

Carl made a discreet exit of the greenhouse to go back to the party and to warn Emmett.

Emmett was making his way through the group of people assembled on his lawn. John and Bobby had brought a couple of loads of lawn chairs from the cottage so that everybody could have a seat. Most of them had found some shade under the trees and were chatting in small groups.

He came up to the group where Debbie, Carl, Hunter, Nick and Michael were seated. Michael had a sour look on his face and Emmett wondered where Ben was. The others were laughing and talking.

"The big fairy should be happy as a pig in shit," Debbie was saying.

"I hope that's not me you're referring to, Madam," Emmett said as he sidled up to her chair. "Unless you mean a cute little potbellied pig like dreamy George Clooney has, and no shit involved."

"I'm so happy for you, sweetie," Debbie said giving him a lipsticky kiss and then rubbing it off Emmett's cheek.

"Not as happy as I am," Emmett grinned. "Can you believe Drewsie did all this for me?" He waved his arm towards the house in dramatic fashion.

"And Brian," Michael added sullenly.

"Oh my yes, it would have never happened without Brian." Emmett refused to let Michael bring him down. He watched Michael's face cloud over more at his words. "I guess I should be moving on to the next group. Spread a little more cheer." He giggled. "I'm so glad you all could be part of my surprise."

"It was our pleasure," Carl said, as Emmett moved on to the next group.

Michael scowled. "How do some people get so fucking lucky?" he wondered aloud.

"Emmett deserves it," Hunter said. "He's worked hard. It was great of Drew to make his dream cottage come true."

Michael made another face, but didn't say anything else.

"Would you like a cottage like this?" Nick asked Hunter.

Hunter thought about it for a moment. "You know, I'm really glad we're spending a couple of days up here, but I don't think I'd want to live here. I like the hustle and bustle of the big city."

"Especially the hustle," Michael said in a derogatory voice.

Hunter started. "What's that supposed to mean, Michael?" It was a rather cruel comment that left Hunter stunned.

"Nothing! I'm going to get a drink." Michael stomped away, as much as he could stomp on grass anyway.

As Michael headed to the kitchen to get a beer, he saw Ben, Drew and Allen sitting together. He wondered what they had found to talk about, but he didn't care enough to go find out. He went into the kitchen, grabbed a beer out of the fridge and drank about half of it. He went into the living room, and noting that no one was around, he sat down on the new couch and decided to sulk for a bit.

Outside, Allen said to Ben, "Maybe you should go after Michael. He didn't look very happy."

"He hasn't been happy for weeks," Ben replied. "I've about given up on trying to help him."

"What brought this on?" Drew asked.

"Brian!" Allen and Ben responded together.

"Everything comes down to Brian where Michael is concerned," Ben sighed.

"That must piss you off," Drew said. Even though Michael and Emmett were friends, Drew had never had all that much to do with Michael. At these family gatherings, he tended to avoid the man.

Ben shook his head. "I try not to let it."

"I'm glad I don't have to put up with that kind of thing where Ted's concerned," Allen stated.

"Ted's a good guy," Drew replied. He had worked with Ted when he did the ads for Kinnetik.

"So's Michael," Ben said defending his husband.

"Sure, sure," Allen said quickly.

Michael finished his beer and got another one. He was back sitting on the couch all by himself when a little voice said, "Unca Mikey?"

"Yeah?" Michael asked without looking in Bree's direction.

"Why you here by yourself?"

"I like being by myself."

"Come play with me," Bree said using her best temptress voice.

"No."

Bree frowned. She wasn't used to being turned down, especially so abruptly. She walked over closer to Michael and studied him intently. He refused to look at her. His finger played with the corner of the label on his beer bottle and his eyes were glued on that activity. Making a decision, Bree walked closer to Michael. She rested her elbows on his knees and looked up into his face. He had little choice but to look at her then.

"What do you want?" he asked.

"Come play," she said taking his hand that didn't hold the beer bottle. She tugged gently.

"No," he said but he didn't draw his hand away.

"I throw the ball good," she said emphatically, like that might convince him to come out and play.

"Is that right?" he asked and smiled a little as she bobbed her head yes.

"Why you sad?' she asked.

"I … I'm not sad."

"You sick? I good doctor. Take care of Patrick and Beau."

"Did you now?"

"Yup," she said looking into Michael's eyes. "You okay?" she asked again putting her palm on Michael's forehead.

"I'm okay," he said with a chuckle. He lifted her up and set her on his knee.

"That's better," she told him with a big smile so much like Justin's.

"Little Miss Sunshine," he said softly.

"Love you, Unca Mikey." Her arms went around his neck in a warm hug.

"Love you back."

"There you are, Squirt," Brian said coming into the room. Michael glanced up and scowled. "I found you," Brian added just like Bree had said before.

"I didn't know I was lost," she giggled, using Brian's words.

Brian chuckled. "Patrick was looking for you. And I think Michelle and Cindy might like to throw a ball around."

"'Kay, Dada," she said sliding down from Michael's knee. "Come with me," she said pulling Michael's hand.

"In a few minutes," he said, not ready to face the mob outside just yet. Bree scampered away. Michael went back to staring at his beer bottle and loosening the corner of the label.

"Michael."

Michael jumped. He had assumed Brian would go outside with Bree. He was still standing in the same spot. "What?"

"I think it's time we cleared the air. I did not mean to hurt you, Michael. I simply followed Hunter's wishes. If you were hurt, I … I'm sorry."

"This from the man who thinks 'Sorry's bullshit'," Michael scoffed.

"Most of the time it is, but … sometimes it's also how a person feels."

"Is that how you feel?" Michael asked, really looking at Brian for the first time.

"Yes," Brian said with a nod of his head.

"Then why do you do everything for your other friends … and nothing for me."

"What are you talking about?"

"You helped Hunter and Ted and Emmett and Drew…" Michael stopped there, leaving the implication that he had never been helped by Brian.

"Are you saying that I wouldn't do something for you if you asked me?" Brian could hardly believe his ears.

"Maybe," Michael replied.

"Well, that is a crock of shit. I'd do just about anything for you."

"Why didn't you build me a house out here?"

"You want one?"

"Sure."

"Done."

"Done? What do you mean done?" Michael asked bewildered.

"Tell me what you want and John will start on the plans. You can choose a site anywhere on the land we own."

"Are you nuts?"

"I'm not kidding, Michael, and I'm not nuts. If you want a house, you got it," Brian said, his face clearly indicating that he meant every word.

"I … I don't want a house, Brian," Michael said, his voice softening. "I just don't understand why you would build one for Emmett … rather than me."

"I didn't build it for Emmett. Drew built it for Emmett. I offered the land because Drew asked for it. They're paying for everything. I didn't do this to hurt you, Michael. Just like I didn't tell Steve to go to Hunter because I was trying to hurt you. I love you, Michael."

Michael stood and walked towards Brian. "I'm sorry," he said putting his arms around Brian. "I'm so sorry. Why do I jump to the wrong conclusions all the time?"

Brian pulled Michael into his embrace and touched their foreheads together. "It's part of your charm," Brian said gently.

Michael snorted. "I'm such a fucking idiot. I love you, Brian."

"I love you too. Always have, always will."

Michael sniffled a bit and then drew back to look into Brian's eyes. "You would really build me a house?" Brian nodded. "Lucky for you I don't want one."

"Yeah, lucky," Brian agreed.

"Are we okay now?"

"Peachy," Brian said with his usual snark, and Michael knew immediately that they were back to normal.