- Text Size +

 

The Quarterback and the Chef

Chapter 9

Hunter and Nick spent the better part of two weeks at Edna's Treasures. For the most part they were left to their own devices. Hunter and Nick slept late, wandered and splashed in the stream when they wanted, and explored the countryside. It was peaceful and restful. It was the first real vacation the two had taken together since becoming a couple. And it was long overdue. They decided that they had to make time for themselves in order to be able to give time to the community they both served. It was a good and healthy decision. Brian and Justin offered the use of the brass bed any time the young couple wanted. Drew and Emmett offered their spare bedroom too.

Emmett and Drew reluctantly had to go back to the Pitts. However, before they left the country, they came to an agreement. They would try to spend at least one long weekend each month together at the cottage. As much as Drew enjoyed spending quiet time in his new home, he wouldn't stay without Emmett. Emmett understood the gesture and it made him love his man all the more. Emmett's new bistro beckoned, as well as the Ironmen for Drew. The football team wanted to renew their contract with the popular ex-jock/color man. It was time to go.

The family of Edna's Treasures kept busy for the summer. John's number one crew was diligently working converting the old bakery into an intimate bistro and test kitchen. Patrick was trying his first stint at day camp. Kinnetik began the advertising campaign for Emmett's Place; Emmett's event book was filling up fast. He hired several well known local chefs and pastry chefs for full time. The local culinary school was prepared to send interns to serve in any capacity. Emmett's joy held no bounds. With a trusted assistant and John, overseeing the work at the bistro, Emmett was able to concentrate on the wedding of the season, Molly and Owen. Justin was working on several special commissions.

Brian and Justin had enrolled Bree into her new school. The principal set up an orientation for the new students and their parents. At the orientation, they received the school year calendar, list of supplies Bree would need and the rules of conduct. Since Briana had some experience in a 'school-like' atmosphere, Brian and Justin decided to try the full day schedule. Bree would attend school the same time as Patrick. It appeared to be a good decision.

Before heading back to reality, Hunter and Nick leisurely wandered to the stream one last time. They set down a blanket near the big rock and cuddled.

"This has got to be the best vacation I've ever had," Hunter commented.

"Yeah? Really?" Nick asked in all innocence. He didn't realize that Hunter had never been on vacation.

"Really," Hunter replied without letting on. "Tell me about some of the vacations you took as a kid," Hunter asked.

"My parents are farming people. We weren't able to take regular vacations, but I remember going to Washington, D. C. one summer with my parents. We had a great time. Have you ever been there?"

"No, tell me about it."

"We went to the Lincoln Memorial and the Washington Monument. I was just a kid at the time, everything was so big. And white, the buildings are all white. We went to the National Archives to see the Declaration of Independence. But my favorite was the Smithsonian. I begged my parents to let me stay there. I could have spent a month there and still not have seen all the exhibits."

Hunter loved watching Nick as he described the exhibits that he saw. "For our next vacation, why don't we go there? You can show me around."

"We could go for our honeymoon," Nick said with a suggestive leer. Hunter laughed.

"I can think of better places to go for a honeymoon but if that's where you want to go, then we go."

"I want to go anywhere that you want to go. I don't care where we go as long as we do it together," Nick reaffirmed. Hunter lovingly smiled at his mate.

"I love you, Doctor Nicholas Shaw."

"I love you, Hunter Montgomery, Master of Social Work."

The lovers kissed then snuggled closer on their blanket for a nap.

*****

Emmett stood in the middle of his soon to be bistro. He surveyed his kingdom, looking at the tables and chairs he had chosen for the place. They looked pretty bare at the moment without cloths and dishes to cover them. He had had the walls painted a muted fern green. It looked good, but the tablecloths and accessories would really set the tone of the place.

He knew he had three choices that would work. He could always go with white. Traditional tablecloths and napkins would look good. They always did. But that was kind of bland for someone like Emmett, who didn't tend to use the traditional. His second possibility was aubergine, a rich deep purple that would stand up well against the green walls. That was a definite maybe. His third choice was to go with gold colored tablecloths and napkins. That would look rich and elegant. Emmett knew he was leaning towards the aubergine, but that would cost him a lot more. Aubergine tablecloths weren't your everyday fare. They'd probably have to be specially ordered which would also mean that the opening might be delayed. He was better off using the gold. Somewhere down the road when his bistro was a rip roaring success, he would shell out for the aubergine cloths.

"Excuse me," a voice behind him said.

"Oh," Emmett gasped. He had been totally absorbed in what he was planning and hadn't heard the door. "We're not open yet," he said hastily.

"The door was ajar," the man said. "I just wanted to see what you were doing with the place."

"We're hoping to open in a few weeks," Emmett said.

"I didn't mean to interrupt, but I used to own this building," the older man said.

"You did? Oh, you must be Mr. Harris. I'm Emmett Honeycutt. It was my name on the check for the sale."

"I know."

"Can I do something for you?" Emmett asked.

"After your friend came to speak to me, I was curious about who you were and what you were going to do here."

"My friend?"

"Brian Kinney. He spoke very highly of you, convinced me to sell to you."

Emmett frowned. He knew nothing about a visit from Brian. All he knew was that suddenly Mr. Harris had changed his mind and decided to sell to him. "I wasn't aware that Brian had visited you," Emmett said. "What did he say?"

"It's kind of a long story," Mr. Harris said.

"I could make a pot of coffee," Emmett offered. "You can test out the new blend that I've decided on for Emmett's Place."

"Is that what you're going to call this?"

Emmett nodded. "Don't you like it?"

"I think it sounds like you, and I'd love that coffee.

*****

"Dada."

"Yes, Squirt."

"I go to school tomorrow?"

"No, not for three more get-ups."

"Oh."

"Are you excited about going?"

"Patrick will be there?"

"He'll be at the same school, but he's not in your class. You can see him at recess … maybe," Brian said. He knew the preschool probably had different recess times. Bree might not see Patrick except for the morning when they dropped her off and at the end of the day when the two youngsters were picked up.

Bree frowned. "I like my other school," she said softly.

"Are you worried about the new school?"

Bree nodded. "I don't think I'll like it there."

"Patrick likes it there," Brian said hoping that would reassure his daughter. "I'm sure you will too once you get started."

"Up, Dada," Bree said. Brian lifted her onto his lap and she snuggled her head into his neck.

"Don't worry, Bree. I'm sure it will be fine."

Bree let out a long sigh. Brian did the same, only not as noisily. He was kind of worried about Bree's first day in preschool too. He hoped things would go well. Otherwise, he wasn't sure what they would do.

*****

"It will be okay, Bree," Patrick said holding out his hand so Bree could reach it from her booster seat in the car.

Bree stretched to get her hand safely inside Patrick's. "Do you like school?" she asked him.

"Very much. You will too. You'll do fun stuff and you'll meet new kids."

"Girls?" Bree asked, perking up at that idea.

"Plenty of girls … if that's what you want," Patrick said trying not to make a face. He still thought girls were pretty yucky … except for Bree, of course.

Silence fell over the SUV. It was the first day of school for Bree. She had been to visit the teacher with her fathers earlier in the week. They had some neat toys to play with in the classroom, but she wasn't too sure about the lady teacher. She didn't smile very much, and that made Bree wonder if there would be any fun to be had there.

Justin parked the car and they all got out.

"Bye, Bree, I'll see you after school," Patrick called as he ran off to the playground to meet a couple of his friends. He took school in his stride.

For Bree it was all new and kind of intimidating. In her school at Kinnetik Bree was the star student. She could do anything the teachers gave the children to do, and was always asking for more. She knew she was smart, but she didn't know what the students in this place would be like. They might be mean and call her names. They might be smarter than her and then she would hate them. They might think girls were dumb like Patrick had told her. The teacher might be awfully mean. Bree just didn't know what to expect.

Brian leaned down. He tugged at one of Bree's ponytails that stuck out from the side of her head. He had spent many minutes that morning making sure his daughter looked perfect. "You look fabulous, Squirt," he said to her and kissed her cheek.

Justin smiled as he took Bree's hand. Brian took her other hand and they walked towards the entrance for the preschool children. They knew the route to the classroom having been there a few days ago. At the door to the classroom stood a lady with a little girl who looked as nervous as Bree. They were waiting for the mother in front of them to take her son into the room.

"Hi," Bree said to the little girl as they waited.

"Hi," the girl with dark brown hair and big brown eyes replied. "My name's Ashley."

"I'm Briana," Bree said using her full name.

Brian and Justin held their breath. This could be the beginning of Bree's first school friendship.

"Want to sit beside me?" the little girl asked.

Bree nodded. Maybe this school thing wouldn't be so bad.

"Mrs. St. John and Ashley, come in," the teacher said. Ashley and her mother moved into the room and Bree watched them talk, while Ashley looked back at Bree. Then Ashley was directed to a desk and chair.

The teacher walked back to the Taylor-Kinney family. "Mr. Taylor, Mr. Kinney and Briana, please come in," she said.

"Thank you, Mrs. Black," Justin said as they escorted their daughter inside. "Briana would like to sit beside Ashley if she could."

"I think that can be arranged," Mrs. Black said. She took Briana's hand and walked her over to the desk next to Ashley. Bree sat down and reached out her hand to Ashley who gratefully took it and gave it a squeeze.

Brian breathed a sigh of relief. Maybe Bree would be all right at school. She seemed to have made one friend at least.

"Briana will be fine," Mrs. Black said. "You can leave whenever you're ready." Mrs. Black went back to the door to greet the next student who would be brought into the classroom.

"You okay, Squirt?" Brian asked squatting down beside Bree's desk.

"I fine, Dada. Love you."

"Love you too, Bree. We'll be here after school."

"'Kay, Dada."

"Bye, sweetheart," Justin said kissing the top of her head.

"Bye, Daddy. Love you."

Brian and Justin walked to the door. They stopped for a minute turning to look at Bree who was whispering to Ashley, as another new student was directed to his seat.

"She'll be fine," Justin said as they went out the door.

"She fucking better be," Brian griped as they walked down the hall.

*****

The school bell rang. Brian and Justin were leaning against the SUV waiting for that sound. They made their way into the school to pick up their daughter.

"Do you think she'll be crying?" Brian asked apprehensively as they approached the door of the classroom.

"She's fine," Justin said, hoping his words would make it so.

They stepped into the classroom. Bree was standing inside the little play kitchen they had in the room. Ashley was beside her. They looked like they were making dinner or a cake or something. There was no sign of tears.

"Briana," Justin said gently.

Bree looked up and a big smile split her face. She ran over to her fathers. "Daddy! Dada! I baking a cake. Come see." She grabbed their hands and pulled them over to the kitchen. "See, Ashley helped."

Ashley gave them a smile. Then she spied her mother coming into the classroom. "Bye, Bree," she called as she ran to her mother and got a big hug.

"Time to go home, sweetheart," Justin said.

Bree looked longingly at the kitchen. "'Kay, Daddy," she replied, taking his hand.

"Briana did just fine today," Mrs. Black told them as they headed for the door. She was seeing that each child left with their parent.

"That's good," Brian said.

"See you tomorrow," Justin said to her. "Say goodbye, Bree."

"Bye, Mrs. Black."

They each had one of Bree's hands and she skipped happily down the hall.

"So, what did you do today?" Brian asked.

"We colored and Mrs. Black read us a story and we played and we had a nap and I had pizza for lunch and we walked way down there to the liberry," Bree said before having to stop and take a breath.

"That's library," Brian said.

Bree frowned. "'Kay, Dada."

"So you had fun?"

"Yep!"

"Want to come back tomorrow?"

"Yep!"

Justin smiled an 'I told you so smile' at his husband.

"Let's get Patrick and head on home," Brian said.

They saw Patrick waiting by the door of the school where his class was located. Patrick spoke to his teacher and then ran over to join them.

"How was it, Bree?" he asked. "I had fun today. Did you?"

"Yep," Bree said as Justin strapped her in, and Brian helped Patrick.

"I knew you'd like it," Patrick said.

"So far, so good," Brian stated as he got behind the wheel. "We'll see what tomorrow brings."