- Text Size +

 

The Quarterback and the Chef

Chapter 8

Owen volunteered to help John retrieve the tables and chairs that they used at Emmett and Drew's cottage the day before. They took John's Navigator for the short ride down the lane then John pulled into the driveway. John and Owen walked up to the front door to knock. Getting no reply, John led Owen around toward the back yard. As John first cornered the house, he caught a glimpse of Emmett on his knees happily servicing his partner. John pulled up short causing Owen to bump into his back.

"Um, let's go back to the front of the house," John gently suggested.

"Is everything all right?" Owen was puzzled at John's sudden turn about.

"They're, um, slightly indisposed at the moment. We should give them a few minutes."

"I don't understand," Owen replied. Just then John heard the familiar grunt of climax.

"Not to worry, let's just give them one more minute," John said softly, then he called out a warning to Emmett and Drew in a louder voice. "Guys! We're here to pick up the tables!"

John heard the scrambling, a sure sign that Emmett and Drew were composing themselves.

"John...and Owen, how nice of you to come to call!" Emmett said with a toothy grin as he dusted off his pants. "I guess we should start loading up the tables," Emmett continued with a shrug of his shoulders.

John broke out into laughter, as Drew peeked his head around the corner of the cottage and blushed. Owen also blushed as he finally got it.

"Let's go," John said as he clapped his hands, rousing his work force. "These tables won't load themselves."

"Okay, coach!" Drew said. Owen immediately fell in behind Drew as they marched toward said tables. John arched that Kinney brow at Emmett to get him moving.

"Oooo, I love a masterful man," Emmett teased. John shook his head and laughed.

Within minutes, the table and chairs were loaded up in John's SUV along with all four men. They made the short trek back to Edna's Treasures where a variety of tidbits and salads were set out on the sun porch table to greet them. The family relaxed as they noshed.

*****

"So, Owen, how goes the wedding plans?" Drew tried to engage the younger man in conversation. Owen was following Drew around Brian's garden trying to be nonchalant. And Drew was getting a little bored with Owen just staring at him all afternoon.

"Um, well you know, Molly and Emmett tell me where to go, what to do and where to stand, so I guess it's going well," Owen said meekly.

"Very wise approach, Owen, it's much safer that way," Drew agreed. "I remember trying to do that when Sienna and Emmett were planning our wedding."

"Mr. Boyd..."

"Drew."

"Drew, can I ask you something personal?"

"Sure, but I won't guarantee that I'll answer," Drew stated as he bent to smell a rose.

"Fair enough. From what I recall, your wife, ah, fiancée, was rather beautiful."

"Yes, she was, still is, a very beautiful woman."

"And yet you chose..."

"What did I choose? Emmett? A way of life?"

"I'm not sure, all of it, I suppose. I don't get it."

"Let me ask you something. If someone asked you to deny your love for Molly and you tried, for years you tried. How do you think it would make you feel?"

"Angry, sad, like denying a part of myself. Lying to myself, to the world."

"That's your answer."

"But Emmett's so, so..."

"Out there?"

"Yeah, and you're..."

"Not?"

Owen nodded in embarrassment by his admission.

"You've heard that opposites attract?" Owen nodded in agreement. "It's obvious that Emmett and I are opposites."

"Molly and I have been going to couples counseling, you know pre-wedding stuff, trying to learn what to expect when we're finally married and living together. They mentioned that even though opposites attract, you need some things in common to be able to sustain a relationship."

"That's true and believe it or not, Emmett and I have a lot in common. More than you'd think we do. I knew the minute I finished sewing my wild oats, that if Emmett was still unattached, he was the man I wanted to spend the rest of my days with."

"Why?"

"He's smart, adorable, very loyal to his friends and family. I love his sense of humor; he always knows how to cheer me up. He makes me laugh and he loves me. He truly loves me. Does Molly make you laugh?"

"Yeah, she does. She's very serious at times. Her mind is always working, but she's got this warped sense of humor and a beautiful laugh. I can't help laughing when she starts up."

"Good. Hang onto that when things get rough, and they will get rough. But just remember that and it'll all work out. Besides, Molly's big brother may look sweet and innocent but looks can be very deceiving. They're a tight, fiercely protective bunch, this family that you're marrying into. You better watch your step."

"I'm learning that."

"You think you can handle it?"

"Yes sir, I think I can."

"Then welcome to the family," Drew said as he extended his hand to Owen. Owen felt accepted and gained a little more insight to the very special family and community he was about to join. "Come on, let's go in and see if there's any more leftovers. I could eat a horse."

Owen smiled and followed Drew into the sun porch.

*****

"Jester? Does Bree go to school this September? I thought I overheard her and Patrick talking about school and recess," Molly asked Justin. They were in the kitchen putting rolls in a basket to go with the cold cuts that were out in the porch.

"Yeah, can you believe it? She'll start pre-school. My baby's growing up," Justin said with just a touch of a sniffle in his voice.

"You know she looks just like you," Molly commented with a loving smile.

"You think so? I always thought she looks like you when you were a kid. That's what Mom says, maybe it's the hair. She has your hair."

"But she has your smile and your eyes. But..."

"But what?" Justin asked with a frown. "What?"

"I'm afraid that her personality is, um..."

"Brian?"

"Not that it's a bad thing, but I expect Bree in school will be a challenge," Molly said hesitantly.

"Hmm."

*****

After lunch, Emmett and Drew decided to take a leisurely stroll to the stream, Beau decided to follow.

"Drewsie, I think we're being stalked by the monster," Emmett said with mock fear.

"Come here, boy," Drew called to the big dog. Beau sprinted close and sat in front of the former football star. "I had a big guy like you when I was a boy," Drew said to Beau as he gave his ears a good scratch. Emmett knelt in front of Beau.

"And I owe you my thanks," Emmett gushed as he squatted down to give the big dog a hug. "You saved our house!" Beau gently butted Emmett's head sending the tall man onto the ground. Emmett squealed with laughter as the 'monster' licked his face.

*****

"Daddy, cookie?" Bree asked stubbing the toe of her sandal against the slate floor of the cottage kitchen. She did her best to look particularly cute.

"No, Bree," Justin said. "You've already had too many sweets. All those leftovers from the party are too much."

Bree frowned. "Hungy, Daddy," she said, reverting to her baby talk.

"The word's hungry, and you know that very well."

"Hungry, Daddy," she tried again.

"Here's some carrot sticks and celery," Justin said pulling two or three pieces from the container in the fridge.

"Beans?" she asked hopefully, looking up at the cupboard where she knew the jelly beans were kept.

"No, Bree, those are sweets too. It's time for a healthy snack. Here." He extended the carrots and celery towards her.

"Want cookies," Bree said petulantly.

"Then I guess you're not really hungry. Go play," Justin said trying not to let his temper catch hold.

"Mean Daddy," she said.

"Healthy snack or none at all, those are your choices."

"Don't like you," she said before giving her father a death glare and running down the hall to her bedroom. She made sure to slam the door … hard.

"What was the door slamming for?" Brian asked as he came into the kitchen from the sun porch. Hunter and Nick followed.

"Bree's had too much sugar the last couple of days. When I refused to give her a cookie, she stormed to her room," Justin explained.

Hunter and Nick chuckled.

"It must be interesting dealing with a four year old every day," Nick said.

"You don't know the half of it," Brian replied. "Want me to talk to her?" he asked Justin.

Justin shook his head. "No, she needs to calm down. Some time in her room is probably the best thing."

"Did she call you a mean daddy?" Brian asked.

Justin nodded, and Brian noted the pained expression on his face. Brian knew all to well how those words hurt, even when you did your best not to let them.

"Is she starting school in September?" Hunter asked.

"Yeah, why?" Justin asked.

Hunter shook his head. "She may have some trouble with her temper," Hunter said gently. He wasn't trying to cause trouble, just issuing a warning.

"Thanks," Justin said wryly, "you're the second person to tell me that. Molly thinks she has your personality." He looked pointedly at Brian.

"My personality? How can she have my personality when we're not biologically related?"

"You've seen her death glares. She didn't get those from me," Justin stated.

Nick laughed. "God, another Kinney in the works."

"Hey, what the fuck's the matter with my personality?" Brian demanded as the reality of what they were saying struck home.

"Nothing, for a forty-five year old ad executive and former stud of Liberty Avenue," Hunter supplied.

"How do you know how old I am?" Brian asked.

"I keep track," Hunter laughed.

"But that personality isn't so good for a four year old starting school," Nick threw in.

Brian shot him one of the aforementioned death glares. "She doesn't do that very often."

Nick shrugged. He thought he better keep his mouth shut about Bree's behavior. "Let's go for a walk, Hunter," he said taking Hunter's hand.

The two young men quickly left the kitchen and went out through the sun porch.

"Do you think everyone's right?" Justin asked with a worried look. "What if Bree hates preschool … or worse, what if they all hate her?"

"That's not going to happen," Brian declared as he pulled Justin into a hug. But he knew deep inside that he was worried about exactly that.

*****

Hunter and Nick were headed towards the stream when they met Owen and Molly coming back from their own stroll.

"Hey," Hunter said as they approached. "How's the water?"

"Just fine," Owen said with a smile. He felt a little more comfortable around people his own age, even if they were gay.

"We just met Emmett and Drew with Beau down there," Molly added.

"Cool," Nick said as they headed down the path.

They arrived at the stream to find Emmett and Drew lying by the big rock with Beau up against them. His huge head rested in Emmett's lap.

"You want to watch that you don't startle that dog," Hunter called. "He might take a bite out of something important." He and Nick chuckled.

Emmett looked up. "Beau and I are best friends, aren't we, fella? You wouldn't take a bite out of me." He scratched at Beau's ears and the big dog positively purred. "Pull up a piece of grass and have a seat."

"We're just passing by," Nick said. "Taking my beau for a little exercise." He smiled at Hunter as Beau raised his head at the sound of his name. His pack seemed to be growing.

"See ya later," Emmett called as Nick and Hunter disappeared into the trees near the stream. "Something's going on with those two."

"Something good I hope," Drew said with a yawn.

"It better be. They deserve a little happiness. I guess I could share," Emmett said thoughtfully. "I have so much happiness right now." He leaned down to give Drew a lingering kiss.

*****

Bree stayed in her room as long as she could stand it. Finally she came out, heading for the kitchen and looking for her fathers.

"Dada!" she called when she didn't see anyone in the kitchen.

"Out here, Squirt," Brian replied from the sun porch.

"Dada, hungry," she said ignoring Justin who was sitting beside Brian.

The two adults exchanged a look.

"It will be dinner in a little while," Brian said.

"Hungry now!"

"You can have a healthy snack," Justin said. "Carrots or celery."

"No," Bree said emphatically with her back turned to her father.

"I'll get you some carrots," Brian suggested hoping to diffuse the situation.

"No," Bree declared. "Want cookies."

"A healthy snack, Bree," Justin repeated.

"I want a not healthy snack!" she replied adamantly.

"No, Squirt."

"Yes, Dada," she contradicted. "Cookies."

"No," Brian reaffirmed.

Bree glared at her father. "Bad daddies. Don't like you."

Brian looked at Justin and tried not to laugh. "You can have some carrot sticks or you can wait till dinner."

Bree let out a long suffering sigh. She looked like she was about to throw a tantrum. Then her face changed. "Carrots," she said.

Brian got up to get them. "Are you sure?" he asked.

"Yes, Dada."

It was going to be a long summer, and who knew what school in September had in store for them.