- Text Size +

 



7:03:21

Jennifer Taylor walked into the foyer of the country club on Seth Harris' arm. Seth looked impeccable and very handsome in his suit. Jennifer could feel heads turning in her direction, undoubtedly speculating on who the handsome gentleman with her might be.

She held her head up high as she walked towards Molly and Owen. She wanted Owen to meet Seth.

"Hi, honey," Jennifer said as she gave her daughter a hug. "You got through the rehearsal part of the wedding unscathed." Jennifer chuckled.

"Barely," Molly replied. "I thought I would pass out when Bree had her meltdown. Thank God, Brian was able to talk to her."

"Briana came through just fine," Jennifer stated. "I'm sure she will handle herself impeccably tomorrow. Speaking of impeccable," Jennifer segued. "Owen, I'd like you to meet Seth Harris."

"Hi, Seth," Owen smiled.

"You know each other?" Jennifer asked looking from man to man.

Owen laughed. "We've met a few times in the past with business dealings."

"It's a small world," Seth said with a smile.

"Everyone's very interested in your date, Mother," Molly whispered in Jennifer's ear.

"Good! That's exactly what I intended."

"Mother!"

Jennifer laughed. "Seth, let's go get a drink."

Seth took Jennifer's arm and they made their way over to the bar. Molly watched in stunned silence. She didn't often see this side of her mother. She remembered some of the defiance her mother had shown when she was dating the much younger Tucker. She liked a feisty mom, and that's what seemed to have reappeared. She had Seth Harris to thank for that.

"Let's get a drink too," Molly said linking her arm through Owen's. They followed Seth and Jennifer towards the bar.

7:33:43

Sharon Brenner and her mother, the Sarah Kingsley, were sitting together at a table. Owen Sr. was over at the bar deep in conversation with his son, no doubt imparting some words of wisdom on how to keep the peace in one's family. Molly and Stacey were sitting together, laughing like school girls sharing a private joke. Each had a cocktail in hand and every so often their gaze would drift to one Brian Kinney. Brian's radar, ever acute, knew that he was the topic of conversation and possibly the brunt of many a joke. He tried to maintain his composure as he caught the two women giggling. He let a flaring death glare fly in their direction, only to elicit louder guffaws. Justin went to his side in an attempt to soothe the ruffled feathers.

"Don't bother wasting any death glares on those two, Bri." Justin indicated his sister and Owen's cousin. Justin wrapped his arms around Brian's neck. "It's a lost cause." Justin gave his spouse a discreet kiss. Brian sighed pitifully then leaned his forehead against Justin's.

"When did I lose it?" Brian asked forlornly.

"I hate to be the one who tells you this, but when it comes to the women in our family, you never had it," Justin said with a small smile. Brian just nodded against Justin's forehead. "Don't worry, big guy, the death glare still works on Ted." Justin conveniently left out the part that the infamous death glare held little threat to their immediate family. They all know how generous and loving Brian was toward them.

"I hope we won't have to put up with that all night long at the reception," Sarah commented to her daughter. "They're nice enough and very polite, but I don't think it's appropriate around the children." Sharon Brenner said nothing to contradict her mother. She wasn't sure if Sarah was truly aware that the flower girl and ring bearer's parents were gay.

"Oh, and Sharon dear, I've arranged for a very special treat for the wedding dance," Sarah said proudly.

"Mother, you know that Owen and Molly have picked out their own music and arranged for a disc jockey."

"I know, dear, and believe me, I am not looking forward to that horrid screeching that passes for music these days. We're Kingsleys and I will not allow the first dance to be done to some rock and roll caterwauling. No, it will be classical music, something befitting our place in society. Besides, I'm paying for it." Sarah would brook no argument and Sharon would never try.

"And what are you ladies conspiring about?" Owen Sr. asked as he came over to their table and sat next to his wife.

"Nothing really, Owen dear, but can you perhaps tell me a little about that man," Sarah asked.

"Which man, Mother Sarah?"

"That one, sitting with Justin Taylor."

"You mean his partner, that's Brian Kinney."

"Should I know the name?"

"Only if you need publicity or advertising to be done. His company is the number one advertising agency in Pittsburgh. His branch in Los Angeles also handles many national accounts and he's recently opened a branch in New York."

"Is that the company Stacey joined?" Sharon asked her husband.

"Yes it is, and from what I hear, she's making quite a name for herself and for Kinnetik. I wouldn't be surprised if Brian made Stacey a full partner."

"Can he do that?" Sarah asked. "Does he have the authority?"

"Brian is the creator and owner of Kinnetik. He can do whatever he damn pleases," Owen tried to explain.

"What a shame he's not married. He does seem to know how to carry himself. I'm sure he would have married the right sort of person." Owen didn't bother to correct his mother-in-law. After all these years, he knew which battles to fight. "And just how successful is he?"

"Mother Sarah," Owen began, trying to hide his impatience with his mother-in-law, "if Brian Kinney wanted, he could buy and sell us ten times over. Now if you'll excuse me, I need a refill," Owen said as he waved his empty glass. He got up to go to the bar.

7:41:19

"Sharon, Sarah, I'd like you to meet Seth Harris," Jennifer said as she led her date over to the Brenner's table.

"Oh," Sharon said with a little humph. She hadn't expected Jennifer to come with anyone. Even though there was space for a guest to accompany Molly's mother, no confirmation of a guest had been made. "I wasn't aware you would be bringing a date." Her voice dripped with disapproval.

"I should have let you know, but I wasn't sure until today if Seth was going to be able to make it."

Seth winked at Jennifer and played along. The two Brenner women looked disapprovingly at them.

"Lovely to meet you, ladies," Seth said bowing his head in implied deference to them. "Let's get back to our table," he said taking Jennifer's hand and leading her away.

"Where do you suppose he came from?" Sharon asked.

"I don't know," Sarah replied. "But I wouldn't mind finding someone like that."

"Mother!" Sharon said in surprise and shock. Mothers weren't supposed to say things like that. At least not hers!

7:52:09

"You look like you need that," Brian commented to Owen Sr. as he waited for his drink. The bartender was flirting shamelessly with Brian. Brian grunted out a 'not interested.'

"Yes, well, I love my mother-in-law..."

"But…?"

"Yes, but." Owen took a good long pull of his beer. "They're probably griping that I'm having a beer instead of a martini. Quick frankly, I'm not fond of gin. I'd rather have a Guinness." Brian chuckled. "Any luck with Craig?" Owen was aware of the situation.

"No, the stupid fuck. Damn, that man brings out the worst in me." Brian gave Owen Sr. an apologetic look.

"No need to explain. I got the abridged version from Molly and Junior. I don't know how Craig can remain so prejudiced in this day and age and in this city. I mean, Justin..."

"You're preaching to the choir. Craig can put up with Justin; it's me, he despises. He believes I turned Justin against him and nothing we do will ever change his mind."

"That's a shame. In all other respects, he's a good man. But I've seen it happen before. He will die a lonely old man." Brian and Owen Sr. clinked glasses as they looked around the room, grateful for their families.

7:59:57

"What do you want?" Craig growled into his phone.

"For you to pull your head out of your ass and do your duty as father of the bride," Brian growled back, unintimidated. He had nothing to lose. "You've already lost your son, you're losing your daughter as we speak, and you'll lose Briana too if you keep this shit up."

"Why do you care about what I'm losing?"

"I don't give a shit about you, you stupid twat. I do care about Justin, Molly and Jennifer. Bree's still young enough; she won't miss you like Molly and Justin do. Jennifer cares that you're going to miss the most important day of Molly's life."

Craig snorted.

"I was going to bargain with you, offer to stay away from the wedding, but my daughter needs me to be there for her. All those strangers scare her, but she has the courage to face her fears to fulfill her promise to be flower girl. Are you man enough to be father of the bride?" Brian cut the connection before Craig could answer.