- Text Size +

 



8:03:21

The main course of the dinner was finally being served. Salad had just been cleared. Bree was getting sleepy. It was already her bedtime and they hadn't even eaten. Justin Brian, John and Bobby were sitting at a table with their children. They were all getting more than a little annoyed with the slow service. They had children to look after.

"What the fuck is the matter with these people?" Brian demanded to know. "At this rate we'll finish our dinners at fucking midnight."

"I'm sure the service is just leisurely," Justin said trying to make the affair seem nicer. He knew Brian was ticked and so were John and Bobby.

"Leisurely my ass!" Brian reacted. "I think we should just take Bree home."

"But…" Justin began. "I guess you could go with her. I have to stay and make my toast." Justin looked slightly upset that his immediate family might leave him all alone.

"It's about fucking time!" Brian said as the waitress set down his dinner in front of him. "I'm sorry, Sunshine," Brian said kissing Justin's temple. "We won't abandon you. At least not just yet."

"Thanks," Justin said with a sigh. He began cutting up some of the roast beef for Bree.

"Maybe if Bree gets some food, she'll get a second wind," John said.

"What's a second wind?" Patrick asked with a giggle. "Is that like farts?"

"Patrick!" Bobby said sternly. Then everyone at the table giggled.

"Patrick said 'farts'," Bree laughed.

"Yes, he did. Let's hope he only talks about them and doesn't make any," Brian told his daughter. She seemed to be perking up a bit after a few bites of food. "When will these fucking speeches start?"

"After the main course. They usually do them during dessert," Bobby supplied.

"To make them sweeter?" John asked with his tongue in cheek.

"Probably so we don't throw up the roast beef," Justin laughed. The beef certainly wasn't the best he had ever had.

"I hope Emmett has a better dinner for the fucking wedding feast," Brian stated.

"You know Emm's food will be delicious," Justin replied.

"That man sure knows how to cook," Bobby agreed.

"But I have other attributes, right?" John asked when that sounded a little too much like Bobby was a little too interested in Emmett.

"You have the most important attribute of all," Bobby said with a smile. "I love you and you love me."

"Here comes the roast beef," Brian joked.

"Shut up, Brian!" they all chorused.

"Dada, why they tell you to shut up?" Bree asked with a frown.

"They don't know a good joke when they hear one."

"I know jokes," Bree stated.

"That's my Squirt."

"Love you, Dada," Bree said throwing her arms up for Brian to hold her. How could he refuse?

8:19:42

"Hey Babe, where are you?" Drew called out as he entered their apartment. He dumped his bags by the door then locked up the loft for the night.

"In here, honey!" Emmett called out from the bathroom. He had been in the tub all night long. As the water went cold he'd drain some out then fill it with more hot. His favorite aromatic bath salts were within reach. He'd renewed the scent with each tub refill.

"Babe," Drew said as he bent low to give Emmett a long kiss. Emmett pleasantly sighed, feeling so much better now that his Drewsie was home. "How long have you been in the tub?" Drew asked, noting that the tips of Emmett's toes were beyond pruned.

"I don't know, hours, perhaps," Emmett drawled.

Drew made himself comfortable on the toilet seat, sensing an Emmett saga. "You want to tell me about it?"

"Nothing to tell, really. I got a little miffed earlier this afternoon." Emmett left out the parts where he nearly trashed his bistro. "And now the problem is solved. I thought I'd have a nice long bath to soothe away the tension." Drew was not thoroughly convinced but he took what Emmett was saying at face value.

"Well, then," Drew began as he stood up. "You finish your bath, and I'll rustle up some sandwiches for us. We can have a picnic then have an early night. You're going to be one busy event planner tomorrow."

Emmett smiled lovingly at his man. "I love you so much, Drew Boyd."

"I love you too, Babe, even if you are looking like a raisin." Drew sprinted out of the bathroom as Emmett hurled a sponge at him. "That's some right arm you got there, Babe. You sure you don't want me to arrange a try-out for you?" Drew called out as he chuckled.

"Fuck you, Drew Boyd!" Emmett yelled from the tub, luxuriating for a few more seconds.

"Anytime, Babe!"

8:42:01

"Ladies and Gentlemen, honored guests," Owen Sr. said standing and tapping on his glass to get everyone's attention.

Dessert was mercifully being served. Bree was asleep in Brian's arms, and Patrick was doing his best not to give in to sleep. He was leaning against John but trying to keep his eyes open.

"I'd like to thank all of you who are part of the wedding party, and especially those of you who have made the journey from out of town, to come help us celebrate this wonderful day. And tomorrow will be even better," Owen Sr. said with a big grin.

"Yeah, better," Brian said snarkily.

"Sh," Justin warned him.

Owen Sr. droned on introducing various people including Stacey who blushed appropriately at the kind words her uncle had to say about her. Owen Sr. continued on introducing family members, all of whom received glowing comments about their role in the Brenner family history. He finally mentioned that the flower girl had apparently had enough of them and the celebrations, and had drifted off into dreamland.

"Yeah," Brian griped. "We won't tell him that she's comatose from all the sugary words flowing from his sickeningly sweet speech."

"Brian," Justin warned. Bobby and John were trying not to laugh. Patrick was leaning against Bobby's arm half asleep.

"Well, without further ado, I would like to present the young man who will have the honor of giving away the beautiful Molly to my son tomorrow. Molly's charming brother, Justin Taylor, and the father of the sleeping flower girl."

Everyone laughed as Justin stood up and straightened his tie before heading to the front to get the microphone from Owen.

"Make it short and sweet, Sunshine," Brian ordered before Justin left the table.

Justin smiled and went to the front of the room. He took the microphone from Owen. "Good evening, everyone," he said. "I've been asked to say a few words on behalf of the Taylor family. I'd like to thank family and friends for being here tonight, and attending the wedding tomorrow. We appreciate your love and support over the years. My mother will be a sobbing mess after the ceremony tomorrow, but tonight she's one proud mama. And I'm one proud brother. I know how much Owen loves my sister. We couldn't ask for a better choice in a husband for Molly. Molly is a strong willed young lady, as those of us who know her well are very aware. But she's also a very smart and courageous young woman. I'm proud to call her my sister and tomorrow I will be proud to call Owen my brother. I hope you enjoy the rest of the evening, and I'll see you at the wedding tomorrow."

There was warm applause as Justin went over to kiss Molly's cheek and shake Owen's hand. He spoke briefly to Owen Sr., Sharon and her mother. Then he went to Jennifer's table and kissed her cheek.

Once all that was done he walked back to Brian and Bree. "Let's get the fuck out of here. I want to go home," he whispered into Brian's ear and they promptly left the building.