- Text Size +

 



11:12:07

Molly and Owen came out of Jake's and headed for the car. They had had a couple of drinks and plenty of time to talk. Molly felt much better about the impending wedding. As long as the outcome of tomorrow was the beginning of her life with Owen, she could put up with all the society crap and oneupmanship that seemed to be running rampant around the whole event.

Owen opened the door of the car for his soon to be wife. "I love you, Molly," he whispered before he kissed her.

"I love you too, sweet thing," Molly whispered as she got into the car.

Owen started the motor and cranked up the heat. It was a cold December night. "Why did we decide to get married in December?" he asked her, as he shivered in his seat.

"Because I get to wear fur around the neck of my wedding gown," Molly giggled.

"I knew there had to be a good reason," Owen chuckled. "You're going to be the most beautiful woman in the whole wide world tomorrow."

"What about right now?"

"W…What?" Owen stammered.

"If I'm going to be the most beautiful tomorrow, what am I right now?" Molly asked. She had the sudden urge to give someone a hard time, and Owen was very handy.

"You'll always be the most beautiful woman in the world to me," Owen said staring into her eyes and squeezing her hand.

"Right thing to say," she said with a smile. "That's why I love you."

"Now, aren't you supposed to tell me that I'm the handsomest man in the whole wide world?" Owen joked.

Molly frowned. "You're a very handsome man, but I think Brian gets the honor of handsomest."

"Brian! What the fuck?" Owen was shocked.

"Don't you know that all the handsomest men are gay? I wouldn't want you to fall into that category, if it meant you were gay. I want you all for my little self."

"Well … okay," Owen said somewhat mollified. "Why do you think Brian Kinney is so handsome?"

"Because he is. Nobody would guess he's gay."

"Until they saw him kissing Justin."

"That's right, and then they would all know. He would make that abundantly clear. Will you do that, Owen? Make it abundantly clear that you love me. I love you."

"I will. You know that, Molly. I love you so much. But I think I better get you home. You've obviously had more than enough to drink."

"I have not. I could drink ten more drinks without any problem," Molly declared.

"And then you could throw up all during the wedding. Is that what you want?"

"What I want is … is for the wedding to be over, and us to be married."

"Me too, sweetheart," Owen said as he pulled her into his arms.

"Take me home, Owen, before I get weepy. Can I call you tonight if I can't sleep?"

Owen started the car and pulled away. "You can always call me. We could still elope … if that's what you want."

"It's what I want, but it's not what I'm going to do. I'm going to dazzle them with my beauty and poise and charm."

"And I'll be the most dazzled of them all. I love you."

"I love you too."

11:34:18

Craig Taylor was lying on the sofa in his living room, feeling sorry for himself. Susan was still locked in the bedroom. He had tried to talk to her, but she had refused to answer, even through the door. Finally he had switched on the TV and had spent the last few hours trying to find something interesting to watch.

Suddenly Craig heard the door to the bedroom open. He sat up quickly and held his breath. Maybe Susan was going to forgive him. She always did. He hated the thought of having to sleep on the couch.

Susan Taylor walked through the living room and into the kitchen. She didn't even glance in his direction. That was not a good sign.

Craig waited, expecting her to come out of the kitchen with a glass of water or milk. Nothing happened. After a few minutes he stood up and ventured into the kitchen. He found Susan sitting at the kitchen table eating some cheese and crackers. He wanted to say something, but not knowing what that might be, he decided to get a beer out of the fridge. He popped the top and took a drink. Susan ignored him. Finally he couldn't stand it any longer. He had to speak.

"Susan, I'm sorry."

Susan sat in stony silence refusing to answer.

"Susan, please."

"What do you expect me to say, Craig? That I forgive you. Well, I don't."

"I really am sorry, but I can't go to the wedding. I just can't."

"Fine," Susan said icily. "I see no point in discussing this further."

Craig sighed and went to sit down at the table with his wife. At least she had finally spoken, even if it wasn't what he wanted to hear.

"I don't want to speak to you, Craig, but you might as well have this. Bree wanted me to give it to you," Susan said.

"What is it?" Craig asked, as Susan pulled a piece of paper from under her plate.

"Bree made this for you before she left today. Maybe you can learn something from your granddaughter." Susan stood up, prepared to go back and lock herself in the bedroom once again.

"Wait, Susan, stay. Stay with me while I read this."

"What difference will it make?"

"I don't know," Craig admitted. "But please, just stay."

With a sigh Susan sat back down and watched as Craig picked up the paper. He looked at the front. It was a big heart with the word Gampa printed inside, or as close to inside as Bree had managed to get it with her unwieldy letters.

"Did she make this herself?" Susan nodded. "All by herself?"

"I helped her a little bit, but the front is mostly hers."

Craig smiled. I like that she put me inside the heart. What are these rows of colors?"

"A rainbow."

"With black and brown?" Craig asked with a smile.

"She said she makes those special rainbows for all her special people. She loves you," Susan said flatly.

"I … I love her too."

"Just not her fathers."

Craig shook his head. It always came back to that.

"Open it," Susan ordered. "Bree dictated what she wanted to say. I wrote it for her."

Dear Gampa,

I love you and I want you to see me be the flower girl. I practise real hard. I be the best flower girl for Auntie Molly. Please come see me. Auntie Molly wants you there too. And so do my daddies.

Love, Bree

Bree was printed in his granddaughter's distinctive style.

"She said all that?" he asked his wife.

"Yes, every word. I didn't change anything."

"She's really something."

"Yes, she is, but if you're not there tomorrow, she may no longer think you are her special Gampa. She may decide that her love is misplaced, just like I'm beginning to decide," Susan said, standing once again.

"Susan…"

"Don't, Craig. Don't say anything to me, unless it's that you're going to walk Molly down the aisle. I don't want to hear anything else from you."

Susan placed her empty plate in the sink and left the kitchen. Craig could hear the bedroom door close and he was sure he even heard the lock click. He almost wished she had slammed the door. The silent finality of that lock click was almost more than he could bear.