- Text Size +

 



12:05:49

"Poppa?" Patrick called out from his bed. The Anderson-Morrison family had decided to stay at the Plaza instead of camping out at Brian's loft. They were pleasantly ensconced in one of the suites Kinnetik retained. Patrick had done a bang up job at the rehearsal but was having difficulty sleeping in the strange bed.

"Patrick, what's the matter?" Bobby awakened at the sound of his son's distressed voice.

"Can't sleep," Patrick answered quietly.

"Want to sleep with us?" Bobby asked as he raised a corner of the blanket. Patrick didn't answer, but Bobby could hear his son scramble out of his bed and shuffle across the floor to theirs. He crawled up the side of their bed and in between his dads. "Better?" Bobby asked as he drew the covers back over them.

"Yes, Poppa," Patrick said with a wide yawn. Bobby chuckled then kissed the top of Patrick's head. Patrick was asleep before Bobby settled back on his pillow.

"Everything okay?" John asked with a low rumble.

"S'fine. He had trouble sleeping in a strange bed."

"Mmm, I know how he feels. I miss our bed too."

"Shh, go to sleep; we have a long day tomorrow."

"Okay. Love you," John murmured as he snuggled closer to his son and spouse. He reached over with his long arm, hugging them both close.

"I love you, too," Bobby murmured back as he snuggled into his husband's embrace.

The Anderson-Morrison family went back to sleep for the night.

12:22:18

"Mom? Why are you still up?" Molly asked Jennifer. Molly had gotten back and immediately went to her room to change into a comfortable sweatshirt and pants. She came down to the kitchen where she found Jennifer heating up a small pot of milk.

"I'm too excited to sleep. Thought some warm milk would help."

"Is there enough for me?" Molly took a look into the pot then went to get a carton of milk from the fridge to add to the pot.

"Everything okay, sweetheart?"

"I'm better, now. I decided to take Brian's advice." Jennifer wasn't sure if that was a good thing or not. Her indecision must have played across her face. Molly started to laugh.

"What advice?" Jennifer asked trying to be nonchalant.

"He told me to behave myself and then fuck them all, but only after the gift checks cleared," Molly told her mother with a straight face. Mother and daughter cracked up with laughter then hugged.

"I'm so proud of you, Molly. I hope you know that. I know when you were little, when your brother got hurt, I wasn't always there for you. You didn't deserve that." Jennifer felt tears beginning to well up in her eyes.

"Justin didn't deserve to get bashed. You did the best you could do at the time and I never felt neglected or slighted. I love you, Mom, and I'm proud of you too."

"Me? What did I do?"

"You held our family together and even though it was so hard for you, you knew when to let go."

Jennifer stared at her daughter for a moment before she spoke. "You mean Justin."

"Yes. I know I was a little girl when that mess happened, but I remember how hurt and confused he was and how helpless you were."

"Oh Molly..."

"It's okay, Mom; it all worked out as it should. Justin is so happy with Brian. They love each other so much. They could be together 24/7, attached by the hip, or the di..."

"Molly!"

"You know what I mean. Most people need a break from their partner, once in a while but not my brother and Brian. I think they hurt when they're separated, like they've lost a part of themselves. They are truly whole when they're together."

"You make it sound unhealthy."

"Not at all. It's not like they can't function. Brian remains a killer in his business, and Justin's a star in his, but there's something about them when they're together. I almost envy them."

Jennifer nodded at that, she couldn't deny it. "What about you and Owen?"

"Nothing as dramatic as my brother and Brian..."

"Thank God for that."

"But it's good, Mom, very good. I love him, I'm in love with him. And I feel loved and cherished by him, even though I drive him crazy sometimes."

"Must be a Taylor thing. Your father drove me crazy and I'm surprised Brian isn't completely gray or bald by now. Justin can be very pig-headed." Molly shook her head in agreement, then she yawned. "Time for bed, young lady. The limo will be here by nine."

"Yes, Mom," Molly sing-songed.

Mother and daughter went about rinsing their mugs and double checking the doors. Then they went to bed.

12:38:41

"Susan, are you awake?"

Craig Taylor stood at the door to his wife's bedroom. He had watched as much television as he could stomach. He had covered himself with the afghan and tried to sleep on the couch, but he couldn't rest. All he could think about were his wife's words and Briana's card. He felt like his world was crumbling around him, and standing in the center gloating, was Brian Kinney. That was what he saw every time he closed his eyes.

"Susan?" he repeated. There was no answer. Either she was asleep or she refused to answer him. Probably it was the latter. She had sounded like she intended to divorce him. Craig wasn't sure he could stand another break-up. The one with Jennifer had taken so much out of him. And it all stemmed from his son's homosexuality and that pervert who had corrupted Justin.

Giving up on trying to get Susan to open the bedroom door, Craig went back to the couch. He sat down, resting his elbows on his knees. He held his head and felt like crying. He couldn't remember the last time he had cried. Maybe it had been the day that Justin had told him he was gay. That had been the day he had hit his son. And after his anger had faded, Craig had cried, cried for all his lost dreams for his son, cried because he would never have the normal family he wanted for his son. And yet his son had turned out to be happy with that pervert who had stuck with him all these years. Craig found it hard to believe that Kinney could have committed to his son for all this time. It just wasn't right or normal.

And then there was Briana, his beautiful granddaughter. Craig picked up her card that he had laid on the coffee table. He looked at the heart she had drawn surrounding "Gampa", and her unique rainbow with the black and brown streak. Briana was one of a kind. She was an amazing little girl. He opened the card and reread the words that she had dictated to Susan. He so wanted to go to the wedding and see Briana be the flower girl.

And more than that, he wanted to be there to see his lovely Molly. He wanted to walk her down the aisle and hand her over to the man she loved, the man who would cherish her and look after her long after Craig was gone. He wanted to be part of his family once more.

Craig closed his eyes and a tear slid down his cheek. The next thing he knew he was picturing Brian Kinney laughing at him. Kinney would be at the wedding, and Craig wouldn't. He hated that thought, but what else could he do but refuse to attend.

With a shuddering sigh, he laid down on the couch, threw the afghan across his legs, and flicked on the TV. That way he could pretend to be watching and not have to close his eyes.