- Text Size +

 



2:11:02

Brian jumped in his sleep and opened an eye. There was some kind of noise that was insisting he pay attention to it. He managed to get both eyes open and realized that the portable phone on the nightstand was ringing. He had turned the volume down so that it wouldn't wake Bree if it rang. He should have turned the fucking thing off all together, but he had worried that Molly might have another meltdown and Jennifer might need to get in touch with him or Justin.

"What?" he said into the phone.

Justin rolled over and asked, "What's going on, Bri?"

"Nothing, I hope. Go back to sleep."

"Brian, Brian, is that you?" a female voice was saying into the phone.

"Yes, who is this?"

"It's Rachel. I'm so sorry to bother you at this time of night, but it's Beau. He's howling like a banshee and we can't get him to quiet down. I don't know what's wrong with him. I tried to call Bobby and John, but their cell phones go to voicemail, and I don't know where they're staying."

Brian got out of bed and walked into the bathroom, closing the door behind him. Maybe Justin and Bree would stay asleep if he could be quiet. "It's all right, Rachel. Is Beau hurt?"

"No, nothing like that. He…he's been wandering from your house to ours and down to Emmett's and Drew's all night long. I tried to get him to come into our house and sleep inside, but he was having none of that. He whines and then runs back to your place. The last hour he has been howling like he's lost in the wilderness."

"Shit!" Brian said. "I never thought about it, but this is the first time that all of us have been away all night. Usually somebody is home by this time of night and he can settle as long as one or two of his pack are there."

"What am I going to do? We're not getting any sleep and he's getting more and more upset."

Brian could hear the fear in Rachel's voice. He knew she was worried about taking on the responsibility of looking after the dog while they were away, but none of them had envisioned her having to deal with this. They had thought she would just have to make sure Beau had food and water.

"I … I guess I could get dressed and drive out there," Brian said reluctantly. That was about the last thing he wanted to do. At that moment Brian could hear a long, mournful howl over the telephone line. "Fuck! Was that Beau?"

"Yes. Now you see what I'm up against."

"I'll be there as fast as I can," Brian said with a long sigh. "Wait, there's something else that we could try first. "I know this is a lot to ask. Could you or George walk over to the cottage? You have a key. Get the rope of socks that's on his cushion in the sun porch.

Bring it and Beau back to your place. That might be enough to settle him down."

"It's worth a try," Rachel said.

"Call me back one way or the other."

Brian went out into the bedroom. Justin opened an eye. "Everything all right?"

"Yeah, go back to sleep."

"'Kay," Justin replied rolling over.

Brian went down the steps and checked on Bree on the futon. She was sound asleep with Muñequita in her arms. Her grey bunny was snuggled up against her too. Brian went over to the fridge and took out a bottle of water. He carried the phone in his hand as he walked over to the chaise and stretched out on it to wait for Rachel's call. He turned the phone to its quietest setting and prepared to wait.

2:31:18

"Hello," Brian said quietly into the phone. He didn't hear any howling in the background. That was a good sign.

"It's Rachel. Beau seems to have settled down. He's lying at the foot of our bed with his head on the rope of socks."

"Good," Brian said breathing a sigh of relief. "I really didn't want to have to drive out there tonight."

"And I didn't want you to have to."

"I was composing a lecture to give Beau over the phone to see if that would calm him down."

Rachel chuckled. She could just imagine Brian's lecture to Beau. She had heard Ted describe Brian's pep talks. "I don't think that will be necessary."

"Good, sorry he was such a pain."

"He's still a puppy. I'll remember the rope of socks if I ever look after him again."

"Thanks for all the trouble you've taken with him."

"That's okay."

"Hope you can get a decent night's sleep from here on out."

"You too," Rachel said and cut the connection.

With a weary sigh Brian went back to the bedroom and climbed in beside Justin. He nuzzled up against Justin's back and promptly fell asleep.

2:34:29

"Hello?"

"Molly, that you?"

"Owen? What time is it?"

"Late or early depending on your perspective."

"What's wrong?"

"Nothing really, just wanted to hear your voice."

"You're afraid I'll back out. That's why you called on the house line and not my cell." A statement more than a question.

"Yeah, I guess so. I know you're not very happy with all the interference."

"I'm okay, now and in a few more hours it won't make any difference, we'll be married. I won't have to take orders from anyone then."

"Just me." Molly made no comment. "Um, Molly, did you go back to sleep?" Silence was Owen's reply. "Mol, sweetheart, baby, I was only kidding. We do things together. All our decisions will be done together, right?"

"That's right," Molly finally answered.

"Phew, I thought I was in the dog house in the middle of winter." Owen was beginning to sweat.

"Owen," Molly began with a yawn, "I'm going to hang up now. My stylist will be here at seven."

"Okay, baby. I love you."

"Love you too," Molly replied as she was about to hang up.

"See you at the church?" Owen needed a little reassurance.

"I'll see you at the church," Molly said with a smile on her face.

'Poor Owen,' Molly thought as she replaced the receiver onto the base. 'I need to make the honeymoon extra special for him,' she smirked. 'I'll put those lessons Emmett gave me to good use.' Molly laughed softly to herself. Owen would die with embarrassment if he knew that Molly got lessons in the art of pleasing her man from Emmett. Emmett Honeycutt, fairy godmother to the Pitts, full service event planner!