- Text Size +

 



9:06:12

Owen Jr. and party were waiting off to the right of the altar in the side vestibule. Pastor James and Father Tom were going over the last minute details of the religious part of the ceremony. The joint ceremony was mutually agreed upon by both families. Owen Sr. was discreetly circulating throughout the church as per his son's request. In Owen Jr.'s eyes, seeing is believing. Deep down Owen harbored the fear that his bride-to-be would do a runner on him and quite frankly, Owens, Jr. and Sr., could not fault Molly for that. So while Owen Sr. looked as if he was playing the proud dad, he was actually keeping an eye out for his soon-to-be daughter-in-law, he hoped.

"She'll be here, Owen. Jeez, you're going to ruin your tux, you're sweating so much," Joe, Owen's best man, exclaimed.

"I can't help it, Joey. Look at all those people out there! Mol and I wanted a nice quiet ceremony, not that!" Owen pointed to a bunch of socialites all of whom, in the dead of winter, were sporting fake tans and chemically enhanced highlights. He wasn't about to go into the dresses or lack thereof. He was dreading the 'fashion show' at the reception. The debutantes were all trying to outdo one another, heedless of the fact that it was impolite to outshine the bride. Owen winced.

"Owey, you have nothing to worry about. Molly Taylor is one hot lady. Those overdone poptarts have nothing on her." Owen and Joe cracked up with laughter, successfully putting Owen Jr. at ease.

"Owey and Joey, pals forever," Owen said as he high-fived his best friend.

"Forever, man. Now let's see if we can't wring you out a little." Joey led his best friend to the men's room.

9:22:48

Susan Taylor stepped out of the bedroom. She was wearing a classically tailored, sophisticated suit. Susan had no intention of attracting undue attention to herself. She was honored that she was accepted by Molly, Justin and by Jennifer as a part of their family. But after today Susan Taylor wasn't so sure if she was still going to be a part of the family.

"I'm leaving now," Susan said sadly as she donned her coat, slipped on her gloves and picked up her car keys. Craig merely grunted from his seat on the couch. He was wearing his robe as he read the paper. He never looked up as Susan shut the door behind her.

9:55:39

The wedding party was assembled in the foyer waiting for Molly to appear and the music that would indicate that they should start down the aisle. Bree was holding Justin's hand, confident that her Dada was waiting for her when she was finished with her job. He had promised to stand up and hold Muñequita so she could see them both as she made her way down the aisle.

Emmett was hushing everyone, making sure they were all in position. Molly came out of the bride's room and stopped to look at her wedding party. There was a collective gasp. She looked stunning in her simple gown with the fur trim. They smiled, but Justin most of all.

"Ready?" Emmett asked.

She nodded and took her place beside Justin.

9:58:39

"Molly?"


10:00 AM 12.17.2016

Epilogue

Owen was standing at the altar, his best friend and Owen Sr. at his side. He was nervously waiting for the music to begin, for Molly to appear. If Molly appeared. Everyone knew that Molly had been unhappy with all the last minute changes Sharon Brenner had 'suggested.' And that Molly, in her efforts to keep the peace, found that her wedding, was not.

The music began. Molly and Owen's grandmothers were escorted down the aisle and shown to their seats. Next came Sharon Brenner then Jennifer Taylor who was desperately trying to keep her mascara from running down her face.

Next was a long line of ushers and bridesmaids, most of whom Molly barely knew. It was a bone of contention for Molly; her small intimate wedding rivaled the Queen of England's. Then came Molly's best friend and maid of honor. Molly had been Joanne's maid of honor in the summer.

It was Patrick's turn next, complete, in his morning coat, looking like an elegant gentleman. In his hands lay a pink silk pillow with two golden rings tied with a silken cord. He carefully followed the path toward the front of the church. Molly demanded that Patrick would be their ringbearer. She stubbornly refused any other choice. Patrick's dads stood tall and proud in the second pew, watching their little man.

A hush fell as Briana Victoria Kinney-Taylor slowly made her way down the aisle with her basket of silk rose petals. She looked like a princess in her pale pink gown with shoes dyed to match. Her fine strawberry blond hair was swept up and held in place by a crystal encrusted barrette that shone like a tiny golden tiara. In well rehearsed movements, Bree carefully spread her petals like a delicate breeze. Her poise and innocent beauty touched Brian down to his very core. As hard as he tried to retain his stoic exterior, the sight of his princess made it crack. Tears of pride and joy slowly slipped down Brian's face.

The music changed, the bridal march began, the congregation rose. Owen held his breath. Brian shifted nervously on his feet. Justin's smile was blinding.

"Are you ready, Molly?"

"Yes, I'm ready," Molly said as she took the proffered arm, smiling brilliantly. "I'm ready........Dad!"

-end 24-


The End.
SabinaThymeSunshine is the author of 78 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 1 members. Members who liked 24 also liked 130 other stories.
This story is part of the series, The Sunshine Files . The previous story in the series is The Quarterback and the Chef. The next story in the series is Reception Deception.