- Text Size +

 



2:13:09

Brian was almost to the tanning salon when his cell phone went off again. "Please take pity on me!" he pleaded to the gods in the sky. "Kinney."

"Brian, it's me, Jennifer."

"Please don't tell me she's locked herself in her room again. I don't think I'm up to another round with her."

"No, nothing like that," Jennifer chuckled at the exasperated tone of Brian's voice. "Everything's fine. Molly had a nice chat with Emmett and she's on the phone with Owen right now."

"So to what do I owe the pleasure of this call?" Brian snarked.

"Can we meet someplace? I need to talk to you."

Brian sighed. "Meet me at the diner." Brian turned at the next corner to go back toward the diner.

"Thanks, Brian. See you in a few minutes." Jennifer cut the connection.

2:28:37

Brian was sitting in the back booth nursing a cup of coffee waiting for Jennifer to arrive. Lacy was busy serving the late lunch crowd. Debbie was slowly but surely stepping back, especially in rough weather. She didn't need the money nor any possible accidents trying to get to and from the diner in the snow.

Lacy was bustling. It was Christmas break from PIFA so Lacy decided to pick up extra shifts. Even though her father had made good on paying her tuition, Lacy still needed books and art supplies. The extra tips were put to good use.

Lacy came to Brian's table to top off his coffee. Brian smiled warmly at the girl. Lacy returned the smile with one of her own. Brian shook his head. It wasn't that long ago when Lacy came into their lives, shaking up their little world. It was good to see her settled and happy. Brian raised his cup to her as a salute. She laughed.

"Switching to girls now?" Jennifer said, as she plopped herself down opposite her son-in-law. Lacy was quick to bring her a cup of coffee.

"Mother Taylor..." Brian began with his usual snark.

"Don't, Brian, don't." Jennifer raised her hand to ward off any verbal assaults. "I'm not in the mood."

Brian studied her closely before daring to speak. Jennifer Taylor was a beautiful woman. Most of the time Jennifer was impeccably dressed with not a hair out of place, and tastefully applied make-up. For a mother of a thirty-something and a twenty-ish, Jennifer Taylor was hot. Not to mention being a grandmother of the flower girl. The Jennifer Taylor sitting across from Brian looked frazzled, wearing minimal make-up, an old sweat shirt and jeans, with her hair up in a ponytail.

"What's wrong, and how does it involve me?"

"I need some advice."

"From me?" Brian asked as his eyebrows got lost in his hairline.

"Yes, from you. I don't know who to talk to."

"Jenn, you must have a female friend or two you can confide in," Brian stated reasonably.

"No, not really. Look, this is embarrassing enough as it is. Please don't make it any more difficult." Brian nodded. "I can't talk to your mother about this, Debbie would be shouting out her advice and I'm certainly not going to Susan Taylor."

"What about your other friends?"

"They're all married."

"Oh, OH!" Brian said as the dawn began to break. "You want me to hire a pretty boy for your arm tomorrow?"

"What?! No!"

"What about that Trucker guy? He was hot."

"Tucker, and yes he was hot, too hot. Far too many young women found him attractive, as well as the men, but that's not what broke us up."

"What did?"

"Us, all of this." Jennifer swept her arm around to indicate the diner. "Our cwazy wittle family, as you so aptly put it. It turns out that Tucker was a bit of a homophobe. He could take it in small doses but he never wanted to be around for the real family gatherings. And in spite of all the craziness, I live for those big family get-togethers. They've become a way of life for me, for all of us. He wasn't worth that."

Brian nodded in agreement. It took a strong person to make it in their family. He admired Jennifer for standing up for her convictions....that Taylor tenacity struck again.

"What else?" Brian asked. He could sense there was more to it.

"I...I don't want to be the only one there without a partner. Do you realize that you and Justin will be one of the oldest couples there? That didn't come out right. Your relationship is one of the longest and most successful. Everyone else is either divorced, separated or on their second or third marriage."

"Jenn."

"I'm tired of being alone. Molly's moving out. I almost envy her and Owen. Starting their new life, so much in love."

"And it's time for Mother Taylor to have someone to love, and to love her back."

"Is that too much to ask?"

"No, not at all. You're a beautiful woman." Jennifer raised her own brows. "I'm not blind, even though I prefer dick to..."

"Brian," Jennifer warned him with a growl. Brian smiled meekly.

"You know what I mean. I've had a few women in my life. I can appreciate the curves, the softness and um, the no need for lube." Brian lowered his voice to a whisper. "We need to get you a date for the wedding."

"But we have less than twenty-four hours. I can't possibly find someone now, unless you really mean to hire me an escort. I wouldn't know how."

"I do, but that's a last resort. And I have someone in mind. If all else fails, I'll be your date. At the very least, save me a dance or two. We have to give this burgh something to gossip about. I'll have the two best looking Taylors on my arm tomorrow night." Brian gave Jennifer one of his sexiest leers.

Jennifer cracked up. "If I haven't said it before, you're a good man, Brian Kinney."

"Aw shucks, Mother Taylor," Brian drawled, trying to look coy. Jennifer's laugh grew louder.

2:56:49

"Brian, what brings you here to my office?" Seth Harris asked as he stood to shake Brian's hand.

"Do you have plans for tomorrow night?"