- Text Size +

 



3:06:09

"Hi, Susan," Justin said into the phone. "I should be there in a few minutes to pick up Bree." He had finally left his mother's after getting Molly to promise that she wouldn't lock herself in her room again. They had shared a pint of chocolate chocolate chip ice cream that they had found in the freezer at his mother's. Finally Molly had told him to go home. She needed to get ready for the fucking rehearsal dinner, and if she ate anymore ice cream, she was sure her wedding dress wouldn't fit her any longer. Their mother seemed to have disappeared to parts unknown.

"Okay, Justin. Bree's asleep."

"Oh? She's not feeling bad, is she?"

"No," Susan sighed. "She had lunch with Craig. She really wants him to come see her be the flower girl at the wedding."

"And he wouldn't say he would come," Justin said letting out his own long sigh. "Was she upset?"

"A little. But I got her to lie down, and she's been asleep ever since. I thought she might need some rest before the rehearsal and dinner tonight."

"Thanks, Susan," Justin said. "You've been a big help today … unlike someone else we both know."

Susan was about to tell Justin of Bree's card, but then she decided that maybe it would be better to keep that to herself. Justin was upset enough with his father already. "I'll get Bree up," Susan said instead.

"Thanks. We have to be at the rehearsal for five, so I need to take her to the loft and get her ready."

"No problem. See you in a few minutes."

Justin flipped his cell closed and stared at the road as he drove towards Susan's. It looked like he was going to be walking Molly down the aisle tomorrow, so he might as well reconcile himself to that fact.

3:08:02

Justin flipped open his cell and hit number one on the speed dial.

"Hey," Brian's voice came over the line.

"I'm on my way to pick up Bree and take her back to the loft. Will you be there soon?"

"In a bit."

"Are you still tanning … for me?" Justin asked in his sexiest voice.

Brian groaned. He wished he was. "No, I didn't get quite as much tanning time as I would have liked. I'm kind of in the middle of something. I'll explain when I see you."

"Okay," Justin said with a frown. He closed his phone and turned into the parking lot of his father's condo.

3:09:42

"That was important," Brian said as he put his cell away and turned back to face Seth Harris.

"Yes, I'm sure your tanning time is very important," Seth chuckled.

Brian felt himself blush. "Um … that was my partner. I have to get going so that we can get ready for the rehearsal dinner tonight."

"Does Jennifer have an escort for that event?" Seth asked.

"No, I don't believe she does."

"Then perhaps I should give her a call right now."

"You … you don't have to. If you escort her to the wedding, she will be more than happy," Brian assured him.

"And I would be more than happy to spend whatever time I can with the lovely Jennifer Taylor. Run along, young man, and leave the rest of this up to me."

With a chuckle, Brian shook Seth's hand and left his office.

3:11:15

"Jennifer, it's Seth Harris. You remember, from the sale of the bakery?"

"Oh yes, Mr. Harris. What can I do for you?" Jennifer asked. She was on her way back to the condo to make sure everything was all right with Molly. She needed to start getting ready for the rehearsal dinner. She wished she had an escort for that, but if Brian could find her someone … presentable for the wedding reception, that was the main thing. "Do you have another building or some real estate that you want me to sell for you?" She chuckled, knowing that she had been very impressed with the gentleman known as Seth Harris. Even after he had almost backed out of the deal for Emmett's Place.

"No, no, nothing like that," Seth said cautiously realizing that Jennifer had no idea why he was calling. Maybe he should have waited and let Brian Kinney fill her in on the fact that he wanted to be her escort.

"Then what can I do for you?" Jennifer asked. "I'm kind of busy. My daughter is getting married tomorrow."

"I know."

"You do? Do you know the Brenners?" Jennifer asked, wondering how Seth Harris would have any inkling about the Taylor/Brenner wedding otherwise.

"I know Owen Brenner a little bit through business, but more importantly I do know Brian Kinney."

"Oh? OH!" Jennifer blurted out as she realized what this call was about. She felt her cheeks start to burn.

"Brian tells me that you are looking for an escort to your daughter's wedding."

"To the reception, really," Jennifer said quickly. She didn't want to sound too needy. "You know, someone to dance with and sit with."

"I understand perfectly. Since my wife died I've turned down a lot of invitations for that very fact that I didn't have someone to do those things with."

Jennifer felt herself relax as she heard his words. He understood what it was like to be alone and unattached in a world of couples. "I see," she said carefully, waiting to see if he would ask to be her escort.

"Brian was off to get ready for the rehearsal dinner," Seth continued. "I wondered if I might escort you to that too … if it's not too presumptuous on my part to do so."

Jennifer felt the smile spread across her face. "That would be absolutely wonderful," she gushed. "But you don't have to…" she added thinking that she better give him an out if he needed it.

"I'd love to accompany you. If I wasn't such a coward, I would have asked you out when we were negotiating the sale of the building."

"Really?" Jennifer asked, her smile returning.

"Really. And if you accept my offer to accompany you, I will be eternally grateful to Brian for suggesting it."

"That's very gallant of you, Mr. Harris."

"Don't you think you should start calling me Seth?"

"Only of you call me Jennifer, and I would love to have you accompany me to the rehearsal dinner tonight."

"Just tell me where and when, and I'll make sure I'm there," Seth said happily.

Jennifer could hear the smile in his voice and felt herself grow warm all over. This might turn out to be so much better than anything she could have expected. She felt like a teenager going on a date. It seemed like Seth actually wanted to take her out. "The rehearsal is at five o'clock. Would you like to attend that and then go to the dinner with me afterwards?"

"That would be lovely, Jennifer," Seth smiled.

"That's wonderful, Seth. Here's my address…"

3:44:15

"Brian?" Justin called as he pushed back the loft door.

"Up here."

"What are you doing?" Justin asked as he set Bree down and she ran up the steps to her Dada.

"Hey, Squirt, I'm getting our clothes ready for tonight."

"I wear my pretty dress?" Bree asked.

"Not your flower girl dress. That's for tomorrow. But see this lovely creation that I picked out for you. You will be very beautiful tonight, as well as tomorrow."

"'Kay, Dada," Bree said, running back into the living room to get Muñequita from her Daddy.

"I laid out your duds too," Brian said to Justin as he came up the steps to the bedroom.

"Didn't think I could do that for myself?" Justin laughed.

"Well, cargo pants aren't really acceptable for rehearsal dinners," Brian chuckled at his own joke.

"And here I thought I could be comfortable."

"We'll be coordinated," Brian said as he gestured to the plain blue suit for Justin and the pinstripe blue for himself. "We'll be fabulous."

"We're always fabulous according to you," Justin said as he walked into a hug from his husband.

"We always are fabulous," Brian stated as he kissed Justin tenderly.

"Me faboolous too," Bree said, coming back up the steps carrying Muñequita.

"The most fabulous family in the whole wide world," Justin crowed.

"You got that right, Sunshine." Brian scooped up Bree and carried her into the bathroom. "Time for you to get squeaky clean, Squirt, then it will be Daddy's and my turn."

"'Kay, Dada."

Preparations for the evening were about to begin.