- Text Size +

 



5:01:29

"Ah, Molly sweetie, you made it," Emmett gushed, as Molly and Jennifer entered the church.

"Of course I made it," Molly retorted. Everybody must think she was a blithering idiot based on her performance earlier in the day. "Is everybody here?"

"No, not everyone, but they're starting to assemble," Emmett said with a sigh. "We'll get started as soon as the wedding party has arrived. Here's Justin and Briana now."

Justin had Bree by the hand as they came through the door. Bree looked up and saw her Auntie Emm. "Auntie Emm! Auntie Emm!" she squealed as she pried her hand out of Justin's and ran full force into Emmett's leg. "I flower girl," she cried as Emmett picked her up.

"I know, sweetie," Emmett laughed. At least one of the wedding party was showing some enthusiasm.

"Sorry, Emm," Justin said as he took his daughter out of Emmett's arms.

"That's okay. We couldn't start without the flower girl."

"What about the bride?" Justin asked looking around. That was when he spotted his mother and sister who were removing their coats. They had been surrounded by a large group of women, apparently the bridal party. Molly looked spooked. "Molly," Justin called, and Molly extricated herself from the group and walked towards him. She looked relieved as she glanced back at the large, squealing group of girls. "You okay?" Justin asked.

"I was until they swarmed me."

Justin chuckled. "It wasn't that bad, was it?"

"You go stand in the middle of them," Molly snarked.

"Um … no thanks," Justin said glancing at the mob of girls. "Is Joanne in their midst?"

"I think so. She pushed me out," Molly laughed.

"Hi, Auntie Molly," Bree said smiling from her father's arms.

"Hello, sweetheart. Are you ready to walk down the aisle?" Molly asked her.

Bree nodded. "I practise."

"I know you have, sweetie. You've been a very good girl. Now if we could only get this gaggle of girls to behave."

"That's Emmett's job, isn't it?" Justin asked with a grin.

"I'm trying," Emmett called out to them, as he tried to round up the girls and get them organized to begin the rehearsal.

"Where's Brian?" Molly asked.

"He's … um, busy."

"Oh? I thought he'd be here."

"He'll be at the dinner. "Who's that man with Mom?" Justin asked seeing his mother talking to Seth Harris as she hung up their coats on the rack inside the door.

"That's her date for the dinner. He drove us here."

"Date?"

"You heard me, and don't give her a hard time about it. Oh, there's Owen," Molly cried and ran into her husband-to-be's arms.

"Where Dada?" Bree asked looking around for her other father. It was like Molly's words had finally registered.

"Dada will be here later," Justin said kissing her cheek.

"Need him to look after Muñequita." Bree clutched her dolly in her arms.

"Muñequita will be just fine. I'll stay with her."

Bree frowned. That wasn't what was supposed to happen. "'Kay, Daddy," she said, but she didn't look happy.

Justin carried her over to the coat rack to get rid of their own winter garb.

5:24:09

After about twenty minutes of schmoozing and hugs and introductions, Emmett was getting very agitated. They needed to get this rehearsal started so people would be able to get to the country club for cocktails and the rehearsal dinner.

"If I may have everyone's attention!" Emmett called at the top of his lungs. No one paid any attention. They all just kept on talking and laughing and ignoring him. Emmett decided to take a leaf out of Drew's book. He put his fingers in his mouth and let out a shrill whistle just like Drew had taught him. Everyone stopped dead at the sound.

"Um … sorry about that," Emmett said quickly. "But we need to get started. Anyone not in the wedding party please take a seat in the church, and all members of the wedding party please stay out here in the foyer."

People began filing into the church. The gaggle of bridesmaids and their counterparts, the groomsmen, stood off to one side. Emmett was breathing a sigh of relief when Sharon Brenner pounced.

"I have never been whistled at like that in my whole life," she said haughtily to Emmett. "I trust there will be no such repetition of that in the future.

Emmett opened his mouth to apologize, but before he could say anything, Owen Sr. spoke up. "I'm sure Emmett won't do that again, if you can manage to keep that bevy of babbling brats over there under control." He looked pointedly at the bridesmaids who were mostly nieces of Sharon's or cousins of Owen's. With that he whisked his wife over to the group to see that she kept them in line. Emmett smiled fondly at the elder Brenner.

"Okay! Groomsmen, follow me, and I'll show you what to do."

Emmett took charge. He began positioning people and walking them through their activities for the following day. Everybody began to cooperate. The bridal party made their way down the aisle under Emmett's tutelage. Patrick had arrived with his dads. He made his way down the aisle carrying the pillow that would hold the rings the following day. Finally the only people left were Bree and then Molly and Justin who would be the last down the aisle.

"I wish Dad was here," Molly sighed. "But since he can't be, I'm glad you're with me."

Justin smiled. "I'll do my best," he said squeezing her arm. "Okay, Bree," Justin said, squatting down beside her. "Here's the basket of flowers that you'll be carrying. Just pretend to scatter your rose petals like we practised at home. Tomorrow you will have real flowers."

"'Kay, Daddy," Bree said, as she took the basket and handed Muñequita to her father. He handed the doll to Emmett. Emmett gave Bree a little push with his hand to start her into the church.

Bree used her practised steps as she walked through the doorway. She stepped into the church proper and looked around. Many faces stared back at her. Some were smiling but many looked tired and annoyed and hungry. Bree felt panic well up inside her. This wasn't what she thought it would be like. She looked for her Dada holding Muñequita, but then she remembered that he wasn't there. She felt tears well up as she stood transfixed inside the door. She glanced to the front and saw the long line of attendants waiting for her to take her walk. Joanne waved at her to continue. She liked Joanne. She started to take a tentative step toward Joanne, but then she heard someone mutter, "Why do they always have temperamental children as flower girls?"

Bree glanced over at a man she didn't know. She gave him her death glare before turning around and running back into Justin's arms.

"Bree, what is it?" Justin asked as he picked her up.

The first tear ran down her cheeks. "Don't want to be flower girl."

Justin gasped, Molly sighed and Emmett was ready to pull his hair out by the roots.

"But, sweetheart, you've practised so much. You can do this," Justin said, trying to reassure her.

"Don't want to." Bree buried her face into Justin's neck.

"Please, Bree, we need you," Molly told her niece.

"No," Bree replied and more tears fell.

"What the fuck are we going to do now?" Emmett asked.

"Call Brian," Justin said quickly.

5:43:16

Brian was getting dressed. He had finished his time in the tanning bed and he felt good. He was ready for a drink and some dinner. As he pulled on his suit jacket, he felt his cell phone vibrate in his pocket. He pulled it out and noted Emmett's number. With a sigh, he flipped it open and said, "What now?"

"Bree's having a meltdown. She doesn't want to be flower girl anymore," Emmett informed him.

"Fucking Hell! I'll be there in four minutes."

5:47:16

Brian Kinney, aka the Wedding Fixer, walked into the church.

He surveyed the situation sizing up what needed to be done. He walked over to Justin who was holding a sobbing Bree.

"Give her to me," Brian said. "Start the rehearsal over again," he ordered Emmett.

"But…" Emmett began.

"Start. I'll talk to Bree."

Emmett bowed his head and started assembling the wedding party again. Brian snatched Muñequita out of Emmett's hand. He took Bree out of Justin's arms.

"Want me to come too?" Justin asked as Brian started to walk away.

"No," Brian said. "Stay with Molly."

Brian and Bree went out the front doors of the church. Brian sat down on the cement railing that stuck out on both sides of the church entrance. He positioned Bree on his knee wrapping one side of his overcoat around her to keep her warm. He handed her the doll and she hugged it close.

"Scared, Dada," she whispered against his chest.

"Is that what's wrong?" Bree nodded her head looking into Brian's eyes with her own blue ones full of tears. "You don't want to be flower girl anymore?"

"No, Dada."

"Even if Molly and Gramma Jenn and Daddy and Auntie Emm are all depending on you?'

"No, Dada, no flower girl," she repeated with a gulp as she swallowed her tears.

"Then I guess we can go home."

"Home?" she asked looking up at him. She knew there was supposed to be dinner and that she would get to wear her pretty dress the next day.

"Yes, if you don't want to be the flower girl, then we better go home."

"But…" She didn't know how to finish that.

"You wanted to be the flower girl for so long, Squirt. What happened?" Brian kissed the top of her head.

"Too many people. And a mean man."

"Mean man?"

"He said I tepper-a-metal."

"Temperamental?" Brian asked with a smile.

"Yes."

"How would you like to prove him wrong?"

"Prove him wrong?" she asked with a frown.

"He's very wrong!" Brian declared. "You are the most wonderful and reliable little girl. You're not temperamental at all. Auntie Molly wouldn't have asked you to be her flower girl if she thought you couldn't do it. Did Patrick do his part correctly?"

"Yes, Dada."

"You're not going to let Patrick do one better than you, are you?"

"No, Dada," Bree declared.

"Then what are we going to do?" Brian asked her.

"I be flower girl," Bree stated. Brian could see the steel in her back reset, and he could feel it in her posture.

"Are you sure?"

"I sure. I can do it if Patrick do it."

"Then let's go," Brian said standing up and taking Bree's hand. "I'll mind Muñequita." He took the doll with a little sigh, and they walked back inside the church.