- Text Size +

 



6:14:57

The bridal party had just finished their long trek down the aisle. Next it was Briana's turn. Her basket hung from one arm and she placed her other hand into it pretending to sprinkle her petals. Bree turned to face Molly and Justin who were standing just behind her waiting for her to start. Molly smiled sweetly, praying that the little girl had the courage to walk down the aisle. Justin blew his daughter a little kiss then motioned for her to start.

As Briana began her slow march down the center of the aisle, the man who made the unflattering remark regarding her earlier first try, stood glowering at her. In true Kinney style, Briana mustered up all of her strength of will and character. She gave the man her best Kinney death glare then swished her way past. Bree spied her Dada standing by the front pew. She fixed her eyes on his. Brian used all of his will and Rageian powers to give his brave daughter the courage to complete her task.

"I do it, Dada!" Bree squealed as she got to the altar.

"Yes you did," Brian said with pride as he scooped up his daughter into his arms. "Tomorrow you'll be the best flower girl that ever was." Brian kissed Bree all over her little face as Justin escorted Molly.

6:20:07

"Susan, I'm home," Craig called as he walked into the apartment.

"Great," Susan said sarcastically. "I was hoping you might have grabbed a clue and gone to the rehearsal at the church."

"What rehearsal?" Craig asked. The words were barely out of his mouth when he realized how big an ass he was being. "Sorry, I just can't go to the wedding."

"Is that your final decision?" Susan asked, ice in her voice.

"Yes, it … has to be."

"Then you are a bigger fool than I ever thought you were. I'm beginning to wonder why I ever married you." With that Susan walked into their bedroom and slammed the door. Craig heard the lock click. He would be spending the night on the couch.

He went to the kitchen to find something to eat.

6:32:18

"And then Owen kisses his lovely bride, they turn to face the congregation...pictures, pictures, pictures...and then go back toward the vestibule to form the receiving line." Emmett had found his own courage to handle the unruly wedding party and began to issue orders. The party responded well to his no-nonsense attitude.

6:48:54

Most of the wedding party was out the door and heading for the country club for dinner. All Emmett had to do was go home and have a long hot soak in his bathtub. What he really wanted was to go back to the bistro to recheck all his trays and lists but Sean had put his foot down. Sean had given Emmett strict instructions to get a good night's sleep before the main event.

"Auntie Emm!" Bree called as she ran to him before he left the church. Emmett picked her up and sat with her in a pew. "I good flower girl?"

"Very good, Miss Bree," Emmett confirmed. He held her close then whispered something into her tiny ear. Briana nodded her little head, her ponytails on each side of her head wiggled wildly. "You remember that for tomorrow, okay, princess?"

"Okay, Auntie Emm, I remebber. I love you, Auntie Emm," Briana said as she gave Emmett a hug.

"I love you too, sweetheart." Emmett stood, handed Briana over to Brian then left for the night.

"Squirt, what did Emmett say to you?" Brian asked his daughter as he held her up in his arms so that they were nose to nose.

"Auntie Emm said…" Bree began in a whisper. "He said that if I get scared tomorrow to pretend all the people have silly clown noses. I not scared of clowns, Dada." Bree beamed a confident smile at Brian.


"You know, Squirt, your Auntie Emm is one smart fairy godmother," Brian said as he kissed her tiny nose then joined Justin who was saying goodbye to his mother. She said someone was picking her up to take her to the rehearsal dinner. It must be her "date". Molly had already left with Owen.

"Hey, you two, ready for dinner?" Justin asked Bree and Brian.

"Hungry!" Bree and Brian said together. Justin laughed as he ushered his family out the door.

6:52:10

Craig stared at the mostly uneaten sandwich that lay on his plate. He was sitting at the little table in the kitchen of his apartment. Susan had locked herself in the bedroom. He had tried to talk to her through the door but she wouldn't answer. He had made this sandwich, but it tasted like shit. Just like his life - shit!

He took another swig of beer. He wondered if the rehearsal for Molly's wedding was over yet. It should be. The wedding party and their guests should be at the country club getting ready for dinner. He wondered if Molly looked as beautiful walking down the aisle as he pictured her. He was sure she did, and she would look even more beautiful tomorrow … in her wedding gown.

Craig took another bite of his sandwich and chewed listlessly. The food at the country club would have been a lot better than this. He would have liked to be there, congratulated by everyone on his beautiful daughter and the wonderful new husband she was marrying.

But if he had gone to the dinner, Justin and Kinney would have been there. His attendance would signal that he accepted their relationship and he certainly accepted no such thing. He refused to do that … ever.

And Briana would be there. She wouldn't be wearing her flower girl dress until tomorrow, but she would be as cute as a button. He could picture her with her blond hair and blue eyes and that little gamin grin that she knew how to use to her full advantage. Craig smiled in spite of himself.

Then the smile faded. He wouldn't see any of that. He wouldn't be able to hold Briana in his arms and tell her what a good job she had done as flower girl. He wouldn't be able to kiss Molly's cheek and tell her what a fine young woman she had become. And how proud he was of her. He wouldn't be able to see Jennifer looking lovely … but alone, while he walked around with his young, beautiful Susan on his arm. He wouldn't be able to do any of that … and it was all because of Brian fucking Kinney.

With a sigh Craig stood up. He finished the rest of his beer before carrying his largely uneaten sandwich to the garbage can and dumping it in. He placed the plate in the sink and grabbed another beer from the fridge. He went out into the living room. He stared at the bedroom door wondering if he should try once again to get Susan to answer him. Deciding that would be futile, he slumped down onto the sofa, flicked on the TV and hunted for something mindless to watch.

6:56:00

Molly and Owen each had a cocktail in their hands as they wove their way through the foyer of the country club. They greeted their guests, and Owen introduced her to all the family and friends that his parents had invited, and that Molly had barely met or had never met at all.

She was feeling a little overwhelmed once again. She wished there was more of her own family and friends. She waved to Justin and Brian and Bree, as Owen dragged her over to someone she just had to meet.

Owen touched the girl's arm and this lovely young woman turned around and pulled Owen into a warm hug.

"Owen," she practically moaned.

Molly felt her temper rise as she watched the two. This must be one of Owen's old girlfriends. Molly wondered why he would have invited her to the rehearsal dinner, which meant that she would be at the wedding too. Molly felt the great urge to rip the woman's arms from around Owen's neck as the hug went on and on.

Molly looked for her mother or Justin or someone, so she could get away. She felt tears start to well up, as Owen finally broke the hug.

"Molly," Owen said proudly. "This is my favorite cousin, Stacey Manning."