- Text Size +
Story Notes:

DISCLAIMER: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

Author's Chapter Notes:

 

 

 

 

*************


Ben’s POV


I just can't believe it. I think in the back of my mind I've always known, but just didn't really want to know. Maybe on some level I agreed with him about me not being around that long. I don't know what to think at this point. Sitting here in my hotel room stewing about the situation isn't going to solve anything, so I decide to get something to eat. I can't go to the diner, for obvious reasons. I just can't run into him - or any of the gang really - until I wrap my head around what happened and what it all means.


I find a nice little coffee shop away from Liberty Avenue. I'm enjoying a cup of tea, when I feel a hand on my shoulder. I am so out of it that I didn’t notice Emmett entering the cafe. He asks if he can join me, and I figure he won't take no seriously from a friend sitting alone, so I extend my hand toward the chair across from me.


Emmett starts bantering as usual, but I think he senses that something is off with me. I decide maybe talking to someone will help me sort out my thoughts, so I simply blurt out,  “I was at Woody’s last night.” His face pales as I continue, “I know none of you saw me, but I heard and saw quite enough.”


I don't think I've ever seen Emmett sit so still or be so quiet. Why not just get it all out? I've started talking, so I might as well keep going.


“I left pretty quickly once Michael made his declaration. I went home to think and decided I would wait for him to come home. I'd give him the chance to tell me what happened, why he propositioned Brian. I was holding on to the hope that he'd tell me it was all a big misunderstanding or even a joke. If my husband was once more seriously pursuing Brian, disregarding everyone’s needs other than his own, I'd have to get out of there for a while. The longer I waited, the more certain I became. I packed a bag and was ready to leave. When he came home, he didn't even acknowledge me at first. When I asked him how his night had been, he said it was fine, just the usual. So I asked him about what I heard and saw. Surprisingly, he didn't deny it, simply said I had to have known all along.”


My voice is starting to shake, and I'm holding back tears. Saying this out loud makes it so real. I continue, “He did tell me he loved me, but that I was his now and Brian was his forever. I wish I could somehow blame Brian, but I know this was just as big a shock for him. I just don't know what to do now. What surprises me the most is that he doesn't see how hurtful he’s being. Instead, he's off in his own fairy-tale world.”


I take a deep breath and finish with, “I left last night, Em. I just left, and he didn't try to stop me.” I can't hold it in anymore and a few tears escape, trickling down my face.


Emmett reaches across the table and takes my hands in his. He says, “Honey, I know this hurts. If it didn't hurt, you’d know it wasn't real. And for you, at least, it's always been a real relationship. You can’t simply stop loving someone that easily.”


He gazes at me without pity but with true understanding. “Where did you go last night?” he asks gently.


I respond, “I stayed at a hotel.”


Emmett’s right hand immediately flies to his chest like that of an offended southern church matron. His hand then flutters in the air as he declares, “Well, the first thing we’re going to do - yes I said we because you are not alone in this - is get your stuff. You are coming back to my house.”


I open my mouth to protest but he stops me before I can utter one word. “Don't argue with me. You know I have the space, plus I'd love some company. I bought the house because my business is thriving, and Teddy convinced me it would be a good investment, but I kind of miss having other people around. I know nobody really got it, but Debbie, Carl, and I worked well as housemates. So you’d be doing me a favor, which means you just can't say no!”


He's right, he's tough to say no to, so I smile and agree to stay with him. It will be nice not to be by myself, since I’d only brood. I’d also rather not spend the money on a hotel, since I'm not really sure how long I'll need a place. I’m grateful to have a friend like Emmett. I wasn’t sure how ‘the gang’ was going to respond to this situation. I had asked myself whether they would dislike what Michael did but still stand by him. I should have known better, at least if Em’s reaction is any indication.


I finish my tea, and Emmett follows me to my hotel to retrieve my things. It isn’t long before I’m settled in his guest room, and I can feel my tension easing just a bit.


**********


Emmett’s POV


I’m so glad I had an appointment with Mr. and Mrs. Gibbs this morning to talk about their anniversary party. After going over the details of their event, I went to that new coffee shop I passed on my way to meet them. After running into Ben, getting his things, and settling him into my house, I run off to meet the boys for lunch at the diner. Luckily, the only ones here are Brian, Justin, Teddy, and Blake. I’m so relieved that Michael isn’t anywhere in sight.


We chit-chat as usual at first. It seems that avoidance is the special of the day!  During a lull in the conversation, I mention that I ran into Ben this morning. I fill everyone in on what’s transpired and inform them that Ben will be staying with me for a while.  


Just as we are about to delve into what happened last night, the idiot in question walks in. None of us are ready to deal with him yet, so we don’t adjust our seating to make room for him. Never one to catch subtle cues, Michael starts whining for us to let him in. Blake, Ted, and I look at Michael with blank expressions. Brian can’t even look at him, so he just stares at the table, while Justin holds his hand. If looks could kill, Justin would be under arrest for murdering Michael. The whiner seems totally oblivious to everyone’s outrage.


Debbie approaches, saying, “Move over, boys, and let my baby in.” She’s about to add something when she notices the tension in the group, all directed at her ‘baby’. She looks at all of us, then at Michael, before shaking her head and commenting, “Looks full up honey. Why don’t you sit at the counter and give me the latest news on JR?” Michael resignedly slouches over to the counter, sits, and stares at our table. Deb walks over to serve him.  



General POV


“I don’t know about the rest of you, but I really don’t feel like eating anymore. And the puppy dog eyes aren’t having their desired effect on me. They are just annoying me rather than making me pity him. Plus, I’m pretty sure it won't be long until the whining starts up again. I think I’m just going to head home and see how Ben is settling in,” Emmett tells everyone as he gets up, waves to Debbie, and heads out.


It doesn’t take long for the rest of the men to follow suit and leave the diner. Since they all left without eating lunch, their full plates abandoned on the table, Debbie is now certain something is wrong. She wonders what’s going on but figures she’ll find out soon enough. She distracts Michael from his misery with conversation about JR.


**********


Brian’s POV


Thank god I don’t have any presentations this afternoon because my focus is for shit.  After an hour or so of shuffling around the papers on my desk and accomplishing absolutely nothing, I call Ted into my office.


Ted comes in and sits down, offering me one of the cups of coffee he is carrying. He looks almost as troubled as I feel. “What’s up boss?”


I look at Ted and for once don’t know where to begin. How do I talk about this, when I don’t really know what to think myself? I think Ted senses my conflict and, like the good friend he is, starts, “Are you as confused about what happened last night as I am?”


I shift in my seat, nodding slightly as I take a deep breath, “What the fuck was that? Have I missed the signs? I thought he was over his ‘crush’ or whatever the fuck this is. Last night came out of the blue. We were sitting there one minute, and then, fuck…” I trail off as I run my hand through my hair, before continuing, “He just came right onto me. Didn’t even consider how Ben or Justin would feel. Have I given off some kind of vibe that I was interested in him? I can’t think of any reason that he would just do that.” I blurt it all out nonstop. Once I start, I simply have to get it all out.


I smile as I watch Ted consider everything I have said. He’s become such a true friend, more than Michael ever was.


“Okay, first,” he replies, “I have no idea what the hell that was. Second, I don’t think you missed the signs, unless we all missed the signs. Third, I can definitely say you have not given off any kind of vibe that you are sexually interested in Michael.” Ted states firmly, stressing this with a sharp nod.


I want to laugh, but I just don’t have it in me to laugh right now. “How much of last night were you there for?”


He thinks back, “I arrived around the time you were explaining he was like a brother to you. I personally thought that was kind of you. Can I be honest?” he asks.


“Of course Theodore,” I say. That he asked first makes me a little nervous about what he’s going to say. I value his opinion, though, and am anxious and intrigued to hear his assessment.


He sits up straighter and begins, “I know you’ve been friends with Michael since you were teenagers, but is there anything left beyond that shared history?”


I’ve been wondering that selfsame thing, so Ted’s words resonate strongly with me. I listen closely as he continues, “Don’t get me wrong, Michael is part of our extended family, but have you noticed we spend less and less time together? I went home last night and thought about the times all of us get together and hang out. When we are together as a group, we all contribute to the conversation: You and I often talk about work - things we know the others would find interesting; Justin and Emmett gab about anything and everything; Blake and Ben  bring up a variety of topics. The only one who tends to be left out is Michael. He’s never attempted, to my knowledge anyway, to join in; he doesn’t seem the least engaged by anything we talk about.”


As Ted proceeds with his analysis, I find myself thinking back to the most recent times the gang has gotten together and nod in agreement. Michael seems bored when we get together.


After pausing to take a sip of his coffee, Ted resumes, “He’ll sit by himself and pout rather than talking with the rest of us. On the rare occasions he does contribute, he babbles on about superheros and comic book memorabilia. A little of that is fine, but he doesn’t seem able to converse about anything else.”


I’m rather shocked by Ted’s perceptiveness. I hadn’t realized that he’s such an astute judge of character. After another sip of coffee, he concludes, “It seems to me that none of us have anything in common with him anymore. We’ve all grown professionally and personally, but he just seems stuck mentally at age fourteen. Maybe he’s so stuck that he has reverted to his teenage years when you were his superhero. That may be why he can’t get over his obsession with you.”


That was quite a lot to take in, but as I think about it, Ted’s not wrong. Except for Michael, we’ve all done quite a bit of growing up. Both Ted and I are quiet for a few minutes, then I make a decision. I’d like Ted’s opinion before I proceed, however, so I suggest, “Before this gets out of hand, I think Debbie needs to be filled in on what’s happening.  She isn’t blind, and I’m actually impressed she held back this morning when she walked over to our table. I’ll talk to Justin first, but I’m thinking about having everyone come over to the house tonight - and we should include Debbie. Michael is family. Like you said, we may not have much, if anything, in common with him anymore, but we need to try and do something to help him.  Maybe if we all work on this together, we can figure something out. What do you think, Ted?”


Ted initially seems shocked at my question, but he quickly resolves, “Thanks for asking my opinion, and I agree, Michael’s actions may have been directed at you, but they really do affect all of us. I’ll call Emmett and Blake once you’ve confirmed the plan with Justin. For now, I’d better get back to work so I can be ready for dinner tonight.” With that he nods and leaves the office.


I call Justin and ask what he thinks of my plan. He agrees that we should proceed, although he’s sure it’s going to be a tough - but necessary - conversation with Debbie. Justin and I drove into the city together today, so we decide that Blake will drive Justin out to the house and stay with him to get ready for dinner. Ted will ride with me, and then he and Blake can drive home together later tonight.


**********


Debbie’s POV


Brian comes into the diner but doesn’t sit down. He waits for me to come over to him. Before I can ask him about what happened this morning, he looks down at his feet and says, “Hey, I know you have questions. I came to invite you and Carl to dinner tonight at Britin. We can talk then, but I don’t think it’s a good idea to discuss things here.” He cocks his eyebrow and looks around at everyone avidly watching our conversation to stress his point.


“Sure honey, Carl and I don’t have any plans tonight. Plus, who could say no to an invitation to that estate you call home.” I laughingly say to ease the tension as much as I can. I can tell how uncomfortable whatever this is, is making Brian. “I’ll even bring some lemon bars.”


“Thanks, see you tonight,” he quietly answers. He kisses me on the cheek and walks out the door.


I know I’m going to find out what’s going on tonight, but now I am more nervous than ever. I haven’t seen Brian look this defeated in quite some time. I call Carl to let him know our dinner plans and get back to work until my shift ends.


**********


Ben’s POV


Emmett and I are just sitting on his sofa reading in a comfortable silence when his phone rings. I’m still surprised by how relaxing it is to spend time with Emmett. It’s Ted on the phone, inviting us to Britin for dinner tonight. Emmett tells me that the invitation is specifically for both of us. I try to decline, but Emmett puts Ted on speaker phone and, together, they are quite persuasive. It really doesn’t take long for them to convince me to go.


My biggest worry is how Brian is going to react to seeing me. I know Emmett keeps telling me that nobody blames me in the slightest, but I just can’t help feeling guilty for what Michael did. If I had been enough for him, this wouldn’t have happened.  


I see Emmett looking at me as I contemplate the situation. The look on his face isn’t the anger I feel for myself, or even pity.  He is looking at me with kindness, and I know I can talk to him. “I know you keep telling me that nobody blames me for this, but I blame myself. I should have been enough. Why wasn’t I enough?” I finally break down and cry.  


He scoots closer and puts his arm around my shoulders. It’s been so long since I leaned on anyone else, but I put my head on his shoulder and just let it all out. I don’t think I’ve cried in a long time, not like that at least. By the time I’m finally done, I’m drained.  Em thinks I should lie down for a bit before we head to Britin. I don’t normally take naps, but I’ll make an exception today.


*********


Brian’s POV


Ted and I arrive at Britin just before seven o’clock.  Everyone else should be arriving around eight o’clock, so that gives us time to unwind from work before the emotional havoc begins.


Justin and Blake are in the kitchen, cutting veggies for salad. As they chop the vegetables, they clown around, holding up the knives as pretend microphones and singing along to the music pouring out of the stereo system. Ted and I stand in the doorway unnoticed until we can’t hold back our laughter any longer. Both Justin and Blake blush, but he’s just too cute, so I walk up to Sunshine, wrap my arms around him, and kiss him hello. The instant heat that rises from us has me pulling him away from the veggies. He tries to resist, but then Blake takes his knife and all resistance vanishes.


We actually run up to our room and tear off each other’s clothes as soon as our door closes. This is what I’ve needed all day. The moment I touch Justin’s skin, my turmoil melts away. I’m kissing every inch of his skin as I expose it. I throw his shirt onto the floor as I back him up, licking and sucking on his collarbone the whole time. He is quickly undoing my belt and button, so my pants slide down as we stumble toward the bed. As soon as the back of his legs hit the mattress, I pop open the button fly on his jeans and, as I pull them off his body, I toss him onto the bed on his back.


I finish removing my unbuttoned shirt, and we are both now revealed in all our naked glory.  In mere seconds, I am on top of him  - our cocks rutting as we press ourselves as closely together as possible. I reach over to the side table and grab the ever present bottle of lube, coating three of my fingers with it. I make quick work of inserting my index finger into Sunshine, making him arch off the bed and moan. Soon, I’m adding my middle finger while he pants and clenches the duvet his both of his hands. When I add a third finger, I lick his cock from his balls to the beautiful mushroom head. I can see he won’t last much longer, so I remove my fingers and swiftly line up my cock to his pulsing hole. I hold myself there until he stills, then I plunge into him fully, grazing his prostate and causing him to yelp in pleasure. I don’t hold back any longer, pounding into him with relentless abandon. He is chanting my name as I scream, Justin... fuck... god…”.  All too quickly for my liking, we are coming simultaneously. We ride out our orgasms as we gulp for air. We recover quickly and jump into the shower, where we fit in mutually satisfying blowjobs. Now we are ready to greet the family!

 

Chapter End Notes:

thank you to Eureka1 for being a badass awesome beta!  you make my words seem pretty, and damn if I can't keep myself in the same tense for a chapter LOL