- Text Size +

BRIAN

 

When we got back home, instead of going to my loft we went to his house with Daphne. I wanted him to meet Gus and Lindsay, because I wanted him to meet the other people who were important to me. He was a little resistant because he still felt like this was too new to bring a child into it. 

 

“I’m not asking you to be a father, just meet my son and best friend. I’ve met all yours.” I tell him.

 

“You don’t feel like it’s too soon?” He asks me.

 

“Justin, I just don’t see the reason to hide our relationship from the people who are important to me.” I tell him.

 

“At least call and tell them you're bringing me. I won’t be upset if Lindsay wants us to wait.” He tells me.

 

“Lindsay already knows about you, I had to let her know in case Gus needed something.” I tell him.

 

He seemed to worry all the way over there, he always seemed so self assured, but apparently making a good impression on my son was a big deal to him. Mel opened the door when we showed up.

 

“Michael is looking for you.” She tells me.

 

“He always is, I’ll call him later. Justin this is Lindsay’s wife Mel. Mel this is Justin.” I tell her.

 

“It’s nice to meet you. Come in before my wife redecorates again.” She tells us.

 

“I hope it’s okay that he brought me. I kept telling him we shouldn't rush.” Justin tells her.

 

“We've been dying to meet you, Brian never brings people to meet Gus. Lindsay’s been waiting for the day Brian brings someone over, so just be prepared for her enthusiasm. She’s changed Gus’s clothes about three times and I’m sure he’d really like to be rescued.” She tells us.

 

“Mel, I just wanted Gus to wear something other than play clothes. I’m Lindsay.” Lindsay tells Justin, hugging him.

 

“Lindsay, don’t smother him.” I tell her, getting Justin out of hugging range.

 

“I’m just happy to meet him. I was so sure you were just getting my hopes up.” She tells me.

 

“Daddy, help me?” Gus tells him running in the room in just his shirt and underwear.

 

“Gus, where are your pants?” Mel asked, laughing when Lindsay seemed embarrassed.

 

“I didn’t like them, so I threw them away.” He tells us.

 

“Gus, I told you Daddy was bring a special friend over.” Lindsay tells him.

 

“Is that him?” Gus asks me pointing at Justin.

 

“Yes, can you say hi to Justin.” I ask him.

 

“Is he like your other friend?” He asks me, frowning.

 

“No, he’s more than just my friend, in fact he’s someone I’m dating.” I tell Gus, and Lindsay really didn’t need to hug Justin again.

 

“Hi Jussin.” Gus says shyly.

 

“Hi, your Dad talks a lot about you.” Justin tells him. 

 

“It's cause he loves me lots.” Gus tells him. 

 

“Even when you won’t wear pants, sonny boy.” I tell him, smirking at Lindsay shaking her head.

 

“So I made lunch and thought we could get to know each other.” Lindsay tells us.

 

Lindsay led us to the table that looked like it was set for a dinner party, and sat Justin down next to her. Mel and I rolled our eyes, I guess Justin just got her approval without really saying anything.

 

“So tell me how you met, Brian was a bit stingy on the details.” Lindsay tell him.

 

“We meet in front of Babylon, then he waited a week to call, which I seemed to think was a sign that he wasn’t really serious, but then he showed up on my vacation and convinced me.” Justin tells her.

 

“Brian said you just graduated college?” She asks.

 

“I graduated the day after we met, from Carnegie.” He tells her.

 

“What did you study?” Mel asked, and I almost interrupted them from trying to get everything out of him at once.

 

“I was an art and business major, I actually already have a business, designing logos and art for companies.” He tells them.

 

“Oh my God, I’ve seen your work.” Lindsay tells him, almost as if he was famous.

 

“How?” Justin asks her.

 

“I use to teach art history at Carnegie, I quit to raise Gus, but always kept up with the emerging artists. I saw two of your paintings that were entered in a contest, you won didn’t you?” She asks him.

 

“I did, but I donated the prize back to the school.” Justin tells her.

 

“Why didn’t you pursue painting?” Lindsay asks him.

 

“I wanted a way to support myself, and artists, like actors, live from show to show. I couldn’t see it as a way to accomplish my goals. I still paint, but I don’t dream of being some great artist in New York.” He tells her.

 

“I used to think that it was the only way to be an artist, it was really unrealistic to think New York was the only way to make it. I love to paint but it’s not the kind of painting that people want. I learned that just being happy with my art was more important.” She tells him.

 

“As long as I’m happy with what I do, I count it as a success. What do you do now?” Justin asks her. 

 

“I’m starting to look for work now that Gus is in school.” She tells him.

 

“I’m always looking for someone who can draw. With my business it’s about the concept we are creating. I would love to see your work.” He tells her.

 

Lindsay took off with Justin, and left us sitting at the table. 

 

“Did that just happen, Wendy ignoring me?” I ask Mel.

 

“Yes it did, you had to bring someone she could discuss art with.” Mel tells me.

 

“I just wanted him to meet Gus.” I tell her.

 

“Well put some pants on him and chase Wendy down, before she decides to keep Justin.” Mel tells me.

 

JUSTIN

 

I was really not sure why I told her about a job. I mean I’m always looking for people who can draw, it doesn’t have to set the world on fire, only be what the client wants. She showed me to the attic she was using as a studio. I looked at each painting and she had technique, which is what I look for.

 

“You can say it, they’re boring.” She tells me.

 

“It’s not my style but it’s technically good. Have you ever just sat down and painted without using a model?” I ask her.

 

“I’ve always lacked the imagination for it.” She tells me.

 

“You dream don’t you?” I ask her.

 

“Well everyone does.” She tells me.

 

“When you wake up, try to recreate what you dreamt about, it’s just something that worked for me. About the job…”

 

“I know you were just being nice.” She tells me.

 

“Not at all, what we do is right up your alley. We are creating what someone wants, so unlike trying to show your vision, your showing what you’ve been instructed. I can start you on commision, and if it’s something you like we can talk.” I tell her.

 

“Can we talk for a minute before we go back down stairs?” She asks.

 

“Is it about Brian and me?” I ask.

 

“In a way. It’s about some of Brian’s other friends, well one in particular.” She tells me.

 

“Is there some reason you want to tell me?” I ask her.

 

“I want you to give Brian a chance, and I’m afraid of how Michael is going to react to you.” She tells me.

 

“I’m assuming you don’t think it will go well?” I ask her.

 

“I’m hoping that he won’t really care, but Michael seems to think that everything about Brian is his concern. It’s just that sometimes he treats Brian like his own possession and I just don’t want you to be surprised if he acts like a jerk.” She tells me.

 

“Is he in love with Brian?” I ask.

 

“He always thought Brian wouldn’t change, and yes, he was in love with Brian. He got married a few years ago and his husband is now dealing with his jealousy issues. So for a while it was all about Ben, and Michael thinking every student is after Ben. I think there was even some student that filed a complaint about Michael harassing him.” She tells me, and well I’m definitely not going to be popular in that corner.

 

“Lindsay, I wasn’t going to subject Justin to Mikey, at least not until I explain to him that Justin is important to me.” Brian tells her.

 

“I vote for not introducing me at all.” I tell him.

 

“Why?” Brian asks.

 

“Oh, probably because I’m the one Michael wanted banned the night we met. And I’m the student that filed the complaint against him” I tell him.

 

“Oh shit.” Lindsay looks from me to Brian.

 

“Yeah, I almost had to call the police, but the school got Professor Bruckner to tell Michael to leave me alone, which worked as long as I don’t see him outside school.” I tell them.

 

“What made him think you were after Ben?” Lindsay asks as we go back to the dining room.

 

“I went to his office to turn in an assignment. Professor Bruckner asked me to wait until he checked to make sure I had all the requirements he wanted. I guess Michael didn’t like that the door was closed. He burst in I was sitting in front of the desk while he was looking at it, that was all. Somehow it turned into me flirting.” I tell them.

 

“So what happened in my club?” Brian asks me as he picks Gus up.

 

“I was dancing and he showed up and started in on me again, so I left while two guys pulled him away, that’s it.” I tell him.

 

“What are you guys talking about?” Mel asks as we sit down.

 

“Justin’s the student Michael thinks was trying to steal Ben from him.” Lindsay tells her.

 

“So, maybe no dinner at Debs, yet?” Mel asks Brian.

 

“Are you my Daddy’s boyfriend?” Gus asks me, yanking on my shirt.

 

“Yes he is, sonny boy.” Brian tells him and me.

 

We stayed for an hour and made plans to take Gus the following weekend. I encouraged Lindsay to send me a resume and we could talk. On the way to my house, he asked how I like the girls.

 

“They were both really nice, and Gus is going to break hearts one day. You seem to have a good relationship with Mel and Lindsay.” I tell him.

 

“It took a few years but now it’s about Gus to all of us. At first Mel didn’t really like me much, mostly because Lindsay and I have a close relationship, but I think she see that the love Lindsay has for me isn’t a threat to her.” He tells me.

 

“Look, about Michael…” I started to say.

 

“Michael is not in this relationship. No matter what he says, remember that I want you in my life. We can’t avoid him, but it doesn’t change what I want.” He tells me.

 

“What’s that Mr. Kinney?” I ask.

 

“You. For me it’s that simple.” He tells me.

 

“You want to come in or do you need to get home?” I ask him.

 

“You really have to ask?” He tells me getting out of the car.