- Text Size +

BRIAN


Justin and I were looking at the house the realtor, Janice, though was perfect for us. It wasn’t. Janice kept treating Justin like the little woman. Which seemed to amuse him, but was getting us nowhere.


“It's a wonderful neighborhood, all the couples that buy here see it as a wonderful place to raise a family.” She tells us.


“Oh Brian, couldn’t you just see us pushing a stroller?” Justin asks me, giggling.


“Are you thinking about adopting a child?” She asks.


I shook her hand and got Justin away before he fell over laughing.


“How did I become the little woman? Maybe it's because you're so tall.” He tells me, hiccupping.


It was different to see him carefree. After Molly showed up, it was like one less thing weighing him down. I drove out of WASP central, back to his house.


My phone rang and Justin looked at the screen then handed it to me smiling.


“Dan, having problems cornering Grant?” I ask.


“I wish that was the only problem I needed to solve. Deb called me last night, Michael didn’t take the restraining order well.” He tells me.


“Is Deb okay?” I ask him.


“She didn’t stop Carl from taking Michael in. I need to talk to her about a way to get Michael treatment. I was hoping you could help me talk to her.” He tells me.


“Do you really think Ben will help us?” I ask him.


“If he doesn’t, than we have to hope Deb is enough.” He tells me.


“We can go to my office.” I tell him.


“No, I think it would be better to go to mine. It will make sure she see this isn’t a cozy meeting.” He tells me, hanging up.


“Dan wants to meet with Deb.” I tell him.


“I don’t feel like talking about Michael, drop me off at Lindsay’s. Gus and I can go do something.” He tells me.


“I don’t have to do this.” I tell him.


“Yes you do, she might have problems believing Michael has problems, but she’s trying.” He tells me.


“It doesn’t mean I need to be the one to help her.” I tell him.


“At least see if you think she’s really opening her eyes.” He tells me.


I went in with Justin to see Gus. Gus was ready to go when we arrived, Lindsay and Justin decided to take him to the park.


“Want me to come with you?” Mel asks me.


“It might help Deb to see what Michael did if she hears it from you.” I tell her.


“Brian about the baby thing. I don’t expect you to say yes. I just wanted to offer, if you wanted our next child related to Gus.” She tells me.


“If I have another child, I want to be the person raising my child. What we have with Gus isn’t how I see being a father again. When you two wanted Gus, I never thought I would want a life that included children. It’s not easy having to return Gus to you, but I do it because you both kept your promise to love him.” I tell her.


“We always will.” She tells me.


Deb looked like she hadn’t slept all night, when she saw me she got up and hugged me.


“I’m sorry for asking you to help him. I just didn’t want to believe he was like this.” She tells me.


“I spoke to Ben and we have a problem.” Dan tells us.


“Michael is still in jail, Carl told me he could keep him there till tomorrow.” Deb tells him.


“Which is fine, but Brian is there some reason you're still Michael’s POA?” Dan asks.


“He never changed it?” Mel asks.


“I never asked, I thought when he married Ben they would have done that.” I tell them.


“Who’s yours?” Dan asks.


“Shit, I never thought about it, but it’s still Michael.” I tell them.


“What we were hoping is that Ben could declare him a danger to himself and others. It’s the only way to get him forced into treatment. The problem we have is, with Brian having a restraining order, Michael can refuse treatment.” He tells us.


“The other problem is convincing a judge that Michael is mentally ill. Dan, Michael isn’t showing signs of not understanding his actions. He understands what he’s doing, and planning it.” Mel tells him.


“Can I have him forced to see a doctor?” Deb asks.


“Michael is an adult, so unless he appoints another POA, it would be hard for you to force him into treatment. Right now Michael is the only person who can voluntarily seek help.” Dan tells us.


“Which he won’t, because he doesn’t see anything wrong with what he’s doing.” Mel tells us.


JUSTIN


“Gus loves spending time with you.” Lindsay tells me.


“He is so easy to love, I always hoped to have kids one day.” I tell her.


“But not the way Brian did with us?” She asks.


“If Brian wanted it, I wouldn’t stand in his way.” I tell her.


“This would be your decision too.” She tells me.


“For me it would be hard not to be able to see my child all the time. I’m not ready to be a father yet, but when I am I want my child to live with me.” I tell her.


“I don’t think Brian wants to do this again.” She tells me.


“Have kids?”


“Justin, when he asked you if you would want children only with him, he was telling you what he wanted.” She tells me.


“So you already knew the answer.” I tell her.


“I just didn’t want him to think we regretted the way we did it the first time. We don’t, but like you, Mel and I want a child without having to share it. We only wanted to make sure Brian had the option.” She tells me.


“Gus is special and you know that Brian would be there if you needed him to help.” I tell her.


“Just like if you and Brian decide to have one of your own, Mel and I would be the best aunts we could be.” She tells me.


Brian called to let us know they were on their way back. Lindsay cleaned Gus up and we walked back to the house. Lindsay pulled out her keys to unlock the door, but couldn’t find the key to her door. Mel and Brian pulled up and we turned to watch Gus run to Brian.


“Why don’t Brian and I take Gus? I think Brian was going to ask anyway. Alex and I finished the work on the game and he wanted to let Gus play it.” I tell her.


“That would work, our friends wanted to go to dinner tonight and I know Gus would rather play then sit with the adults tonight.” Lindsay tells me.


Mel went into the house and got a bag for Gus, while Lindsay talked to Brian about picking up Gus in the morning. I put Gus in the car while I called to let Alex know that we were coming with Gus.


BRIAN

When we got to Alex’s house, Gus and Justin took off to start the game. Alex stopped me and asked if he could talk to me.


“I am not the expert on relationships, all of you need to figure it out on your own.” I tell him.


“I’m perfectly capable of managing my own life. I wanted to see if you and Justin found a house yet?” He asks.


“We only saw one but we’re still looking.” I tell him.


“I have a few houses that I bought to flip, if you want to look at them, you can.” He tells me.


“We want to buy our house.” I tell him.


“I wouldn’t be giving it to you, I know enough to know you and Justin wouldn’t want something given to you. But I won’t take more than I paid for the one you choose.” He tells me.


“Why do I get the feeling you already have a house in mind?” I ask.


“Justin fell in love with it when we toured it. He just never saw the reason he would need a house the size of this one.” He tells me, handing me the picture.



“Where is it?” I ask.


“Three blocks from here. Take the keys and go see it.” He tells me, handing me the keys and address.


“Don’t tell Justin anything, yet.” I tell him.


JUSTIN


While Gus was playing, Grant came in, slumping on the couch. I sat next to him, worried when he seem to be mute.


“It can’t be this bad.” I tell him.


“I just don’t know what to do with him.” He tells me.


“Grant, I thought I explained all about gay sex to you years ago.” I tell him, smirking.


“It’s not that, I mean, not that he seems to be trying very hard.” He tells me.


“When we started dating, we didn’t do anything for the first few months.” I tell him.


“How did you not want to rip his clothes off? I mean you and Brian were at it before you knew each other’s names.” He tells me.


“Dan’s all about wanting to know you before you get to the good stuff.” I tell him.


“Then what about all the guys we always saw him with?” He asks me.


“They were tricks, not relationships.” I tell him.


“I could deal with being a trick.” He tells me.


“Grant, you never understood tricking. You always give them your name and number. Then it’s you apologizing for thinking they could be a friend, and them thinking you would hook up again.” I tell him.


“I only had to change phone numbers a few times.” He argues.


“Do you really call it a few, I think my phone still has all your old numbers listed.” I tell him holding it out to him.


“He’s been calling, I haven’t answered.” He tells me.


“If you don’t feel anything, than just tell him. Don’t make him waste his time. I’m sure Emmett can bring Renny around to help Dan get over you.” I tell him.


“What? I thought you loved me. How could you even think of setting him up with someone else?” He asks, appalled. “Brian can you believe my friend would do this to me? It’s not going to happen.” He tells Brian, running out of the room.


“Do I want to know?” Brian asks.


“Dan’s getting laid.” I tell him.


“I’m sure he’ll thank you later.” He tells me.


“You okay?” I ask.


“Feel like taking Gus for a ride?” He asks me.


“Daddy, I’m playing.” Gus tells him when Brian asks.


“He can stay, I’ll keep him company. Is it what you wanted?” Alex asks Brian.


“Yes, but let Justin decide.” He tells Alex.


“Decide what?” I ask.


Brian didn’t say, just took me to the car and drove. When he pulled up to the house I loved when Alex bought it, we sat in front of it in the car.


“If you don’t want it, we can keep looking.” Brian tells me.


“I can’t let Alex give it to us.” I tell him.


“He’s not, he’s selling it to us, but he won’t take more than he paid for it.” Brian tells me.


“Can we afford this? I have savings, and when the game comes out, I get royalties.” I tell him.


“Justin, if we are going to be together, then you accept that we can afford this without you raiding your savings.” He tells me.


“Then you accept that it’s ours.” I tell him.


“Marry me, someday?” He asks.


“Someday.” I tell him.