- Text Size +

JUSTIN


Brian and I left to go to dinner with Drew Boyd. I had to ask who he was since I’d never heard of him. All Brian had to say was football and I knew why.


“Chris was the quarterback, so I didn’t want anything to do with football.” I tell him.


“It’s not my thing either, but I do campaigns for sportswear, so I have to know who will draw in the most money.” He tells me.


“Is this dinner to meet the guy?” I ask.


“I met him before, when he was going to be the face of the campaign the last time. It was right before he came out as gay, when Leo found out he wanted him replaced. Drew isn’t going to make this easy on us, but I doubt that was the reason he agreed to come here.” He tells me.


“And the reason he’s here?” I ask.


“Emmett, he wants Emmett back.” He tells me.


“Emmett is with Alex.” I tell him.


“Yes, but Emmett was his first real relationship with a man. When they split up, Drew seemed to think it was only until he was ready for a real relationship.” He tells me.


“How long since they broke up?” I ask.


“A few years.” He tells me.


“He expected Emmett to wait around until he decided he was done playing the field and came back? Drew must really think he’s something.” I tell Brian.


“He’s rich, successful, and most likely is used to men willing to give up anything to be with him. He believes his own press. Only, if you hear about Drew, you never hear about another man. It’s not to protect Emmett’s feelings, but because football fans don’t do gay.” He tells me as we walk in.


My first impression wasn’t favorable, the man eyed Brian, Blake, and me. I guess I wasn’t up to his standards, but it seemed he would take Brian or Blake, since he made sure to sit between them.


“Brian you should have invited Emmett to join us. We talked earlier but he seems to think we are through.” He tells Brian.


“Emmett’s happy with Alex.” Ted tells him.


“I’m sure he thinks he is.” Drew tells Ted, smiling at Blake.


“Drew we are here to discuss if you want to lead the campaign for Brown. Emmett doesn’t have a place at this table.” Brian tells him.


“I’m just not sure how I feel about working for Brown. He dropped me without thought the last time, and now because everyone is rushing to have their token gay, I’m getting all sorts of offers. If he wants me, it’s going to take more than a few extra dollars thrown on the table.” He tells Brian.


“I’m not a pimp and this discussion is over. Good luck getting anyone to use you, I don’t sell my friends to make a buck.” Brian tells him, getting up to leave.


“Brian, I wasn’t just thinking of Emmett.” Drew tells him, smiling.


“Did I forget to introduce you to my husband? He’s the guy you can’t take your eyes off of.” Brian tells him, confusing me.


“I didn’t want to piss you off, but I wouldn’t mind a spin.” He tells Brian, looking at me.


“I don’t share, but I’ll let Emmett know that you still do. I have another player in mind, one who I won’t end up dealing with a morality clause with because of his personal life .” Brian tells him.


“But Leo wants me.” Drew smirks.


“No, he just wants a gay player, and you were the first one he remembered. I remember the bad press you got, and that the LGBT community barely sees you as gay. I think Leo will see why I think you're still a bad risk to a campaign, who knows what you’ll do next. The only thing you would get if you do the campaign is five million and a photo shoot. I added a clause that if your image was a problem that you must repay the campaign to replace you. Which I thought was a smart move since we had to do it the last time.” Brian tells him.


“Emmett found someone else?” Drew asked, no longer puffing up with importants.


“You expected him to wait for the rest of his life for you?” Ted asks him.


“I don’t know what I expected.” He tell us.


“He finally moved on and you need to let him go.” Blake tells him.


“Brian, if Leo wants me, no conditions. Can we have dinner if I promise to stop hitting on your husband?” Drew asks.



“Might as well, since Justin has no idea who you are.” Brian tells him, and really, did they have to laugh about it?


BRIAN


I wanted to surprise Justin with lunch. I’d been so busy with Leo’s campaign that we barely saw each other during the day. I found him sitting in his office sleeping on his desk. Apparently the lack of coffee was getting to him. I leaned down and kissed his neck and got slapped in the nose for my trouble.


“Justin, time to get up.” I whisper, catching the hand before he hit me again.


“Oh hi, sorry, if someone hadn’t thought I didn’t need sleep last night I might be able to stay awake.” He tells me, yawning.


“Justin, if you need coffee I’ll send one of my assistants out to get it for you.” I tell him.


“It’s stupid, since I’ve been there hundreds of times without any problems. You know, I just figured out it’s you, since I met you my coffee runs are cursed.” He tells me laughing.


“Come on, I’m going to prove to you it’s not cursed.” I tell him, dragging him behind me.


“See, we got coffee and nothing happened.” I tell him, smirking as we were leaving the coffee shop.


“It happens after, when you think you’ve escaped.” He tells me, kissing me.


“Brian is that you?” My sister says, sounding unhappy to see me.


“You passed it on to me.” I tell him, kissing him before turning around. “Claire, who do I kill for your appearance.” I tell her.


“Mother and I were not happy that you had to announce that you were marrying a man.” She tells me.


“I’m sure she raised a glass and said a prayer for my blackened soul.” I tell her.


“Brian, mother was afraid to show her face in church.” She tells me.


“I’m saddened that walking in church drunk doesn’t bother her, but my marriage causes her to be ashamed to show up in church.” I tell her.


“I guess this is the man you sinned against God with?” She tells us.


“Again and again and again, sometimes three or more times a day.” Justin tells her, pulling me behind him.


“Mother is expecting you to call her.” She yells as we walk out the door. “Brian, you better call her.” She yells, following us out the door.


“Tell her I’ll call when she’s sober. Which is when?” I tell her, kissing Justin in the middle of the sidewalk.


“I told you, it has to be you, I never had this happen before you.” Justin tells me, answering his phone. “What do you mean?” He asks quietly to whoever was on the phone.


“Justin?” I ask.


“Tell Brian.” He says, handing me the phone.


I looked at the display and saw it was Dan. “Hey, why is Justin looking unhappy?” I ask him.


“Michael is trying to say that Molly planned the robbery. That all the conversations were with her, and that she lied when she said she overheard Chris and him talking.” Dan tells me.


“Does anyone believe this?” I ask him.


“It’s more that all the calls were made to her, not Chris. There is no way to prove he ever talked to Chris. We can prove Chris broke in and committed the actual crime, but not that he or Michael were the ones who planned the whole thing.” Dan tells me.


“She’s a child, why would anyone think she would be the one leading the two idiots around?” I ask him.


“Like Justin, Molly’s IQ is off the charts. She is capable of planning something like this.” Dan tells me.


“What would Michael get out of this?” I ask him.


“Nothing but making sure Justin was hurt if Molly ends up with a record. It would ruin Molly’s life. Michael is serving time, but it’s like he wants one more shot at Justin.” He tells me.


“There has to be some way to find out the truth.” I tell him.


“I’m out of idea’s here, Michael isn’t talking to Deb, or anyone who is willing to talk to him.” He tells me.


“Then arrange for me to see him.” I tell Dan.


“Brian, he isn’t going to admit anything to you.” He tells me.


“He will, all I have to do is be the Brian he wants.” I tell Dan hanging up.


“Why can’t he just realize it’s time to give up?” Justin asks me.


“He’s waiting for me to save him like I did in the past.” I tell him.


“Even after everything, he still thinks that you give a damn? Doesn’t he realize that Gus was supposed to be home that night. Chris wouldn’t have cared if he hurt Gus.” Justin tells me.


“Justin, I know. I also know that your sister might have been angry, but she never wanted you hurt. If I have to talk to Michael, it’s worth it to not let him to continue to be involved in our lives anymore.” I tell him.


Dan was waiting at the police station when I got there.


“Brian, we can work on trying to prove what Molly did and didn’t do. I hate that if feels like he gets what he wants by trying to fuck over a teenager.” He tells me.


“Michael will keep playing with us until I show up. I think it’s time for him to get his wish.” I tell him.


“Let’s just hope the lawyer isn’t there to stop Michael from opening his mouth.” Dan tells me.


“I won’t go in if his lawyer is there. Trust me, Michael will agree to it.” I tell Dan as Carl comes up.


“We can tape the conversation but only with your permission.” Carl tells me.


“If it helps, do what you need to do, just make sure Michael understands that I won’t come if his lawyer is present.” I tell him.


Dan and I sat waiting to see if Michael wanted to talk to me. The answer came when his lawyer came out, slamming the door. He walked up to Dan and I.


“My client is willing to talk to you, against my advice.” He tells us, walking out of the station.


“I bet he wishes his name wasn’t drawn for this case.” Dan tells me.


“Michael can do that to a person. You can go in Brian.” Carl tells us


I opened the door and walked over to the chair across from Michael. He was beaming, as if I once again gave him what he wanted.


“I’ve been waiting for you to come see me.” He tells me.


“I’ve been busy.” I tell him.


“With him.” He spat.


“With my life, which is what he is.” I tell him.


“We could have…”


“No, we couldn’t have been what you wanted. You wanting to keep hurting Justin only makes what I once thought was a friendship, worthless.” I tell him.


“It got you here, that’s all I wanted. You need to help me, they are actually talking about prison. After everything, you owe me.” He tells me.


“So you decided to make up a story that Molly was the one leading two grown men to commit a crime. Where in your mind did you think that anyone would believe a child made either of you do the depraved things you did?” I ask.


“Who cares if she did anything, as long as that fucker pays for taking my place in your life. He deserves every bit of pain I can give him. I waited for years for you to be ready to be mine and you give it to someone else who didn’t do anything to get what you owed me.” He rants.


“So you made up that Molly planned this, to pay Justin back for getting everything I never wanted to give you?” I sneered.


“She needs to learn that protecting Justin wasn’t the right decision. If I go down, I’m taking that bitch with me.” He tells me.


I get up and knock on the door to leave, he gave me what we needed.


“Brian, where are you going?” Michael asks.


“Anywhere that I never have to remember you were once someone I knew.” I tell him, walking out to Michael screaming my name and saying that I owe him.