- Text Size +



Chapter 1



^^^^^^^^



The SUV pulled up in front of the Plaza Hotel. Justin stopped the vehicle and looked into the back seat where Bree was strapped in. She smiled at her father.

"You are so beautiful today, sweetheart," Justin said.

"I know, Daddy."

Brian snorted. "Bree, you're supposed to say thank you."

"Thank you, Daddy," she parroted.

"Good girl," Brian commended her.

"Do I look handsome?" Patrick asked from his seat next to Bree.

"Absolutely," John declared and Brian seconded that sentiment.

From his jump seat in the very back of the vehicle, Bobby said, "Get me out of this contraption."

To fit them all into Justin's SUV had been tricky. But with the wedding finishing around noon and five hours to fill before the reception, a lot of the family, including John and Bobby, had gone back to the loft with Brian and Justin. They were all riding together to the reception, but Bobby as the shortest, had been delegated to the jump seat.

"Come on, old man," John said as he hopped out and went to rescue his husband. Brian and Justin looked after the children.

The valet took the keys to park the vehicle, as the family made their way inside.

"I wonder if my father will show up," Justin whispered to Brian.

Brian snorted. "He fucking showed up at the wedding. I didn't think Craig Taylor had the balls to do it, but he surprised me, and in a good way, for once in his fucking life."

"Molly was really happy," Justin said.

"Where Gampa?" Bree asked. She knew that was who they were talking about.

"I don't know sweetheart," Justin told her. "He might be here."

"Don't get her hopes up," Brian admonished.

Bree frowned and looked up at her fathers. There was still something going on that she didn't really understand. She knew her Gampa had come to the wedding and had watched her be the flower girl. She smiled at that thought. She had wanted him to see her, and he had. He had told her he was very proud of her. And she was proud of herself. There were a lot more people at the wedding than there had been at the rehearsal the night before. But she remembered what Auntie Emm had told her. She pictured them all with clown noses as she walked down the aisle sprinkling her rose petals. And she hadn't been afraid. She could see her Dada standing tall near the front. He was holding Muñequita and smiling at her. She had walked all the way down without even tripping or crying or anything. And her Dada had been so proud of her. She had seen it in his face. And afterwards Daddy and Gampa and Gamma Jenn and everybody had told her what a good flower girl she had been.

She held her Daddy's hand as her Dada arranged for a suite for them all for the night. He asked the bellman to take their bag upstairs.

With that taken care of they made their way over to the elevator. They rode it up to the floor where the reception was to take place. Bree beamed happily as the elevator door opened and they all trooped out.

They walked down the hallway to one of the rooms from which they could hear a lot of noise. Outside a sign indicated that this was indeed the Taylor/Brenner wedding. Brian and Justin each took one of Bree's hands and stepped inside, followed by John and Bobby and their son.

People were milling around. They seemed to be waiting for the reception line to form up. Justin had insisted upon being there in good time in case his father didn't show up. That way he could stand beside Molly if she needed him.

^^^^^^^^

"Mother, where have you been? We're supposed to be on the receiving line," Sharon Brenner griped into her mother, Sarah Kingsley's, ear.

"Sharon dear, please keep your voice down," Sarah whispered somewhat harshly. "No need to take that tone with me. I was just finalizing my surprise for the children. I may not have an extensive art collection but I do know my artists. Now, shall we take our place on the line." Sharon gave Owen Sr. the eye then dutifully followed her mother onto the receiving line.

^^^^^^^^

"Thank you," Susan whispered as she kissed Craig's cheek. "You made Molly and Briana so happy today. What made you change your mind?" Craig shrugged as he shook his head. He didn't want to admit that it was Brian Kinney's warnings that goaded him into showing up and walking Molly down the aisle. After seeing the joy in Molly's eyes and the happiness in Justin's, Craig realized he had done the right thing. He just hoped he could handle the reception surrounded by half of Pittsburgh's homosexual population.

^^^^^^^^

"Seth, where are you?" Jennifer Taylor was hiding in the ladies room speaking on her cell phone. She had ducked in there to call her date for the day, Seth Harris. Just after the wedding, Seth had gotten a phone call from his brother who had flow into Pittsburgh Airport for a surprise visit. Seth thought he had plenty of time between the wedding and the reception to pick up his brother, drop him off at his house then meet Jennifer at the Plaza.

"There was a pile-up on the highway and I got stuck about a mile from the nearest exit. I should be there in about an hour." Seth was embarrassed as all hell.

"You're all right, aren't you?" Jennifer was concerned that Seth was involved in the accident.

"I'm fine, just feeling like an idiot. I should have told my brother to take a cab," Seth said contritely.

"You couldn't have known. Just get here and in one piece, that's all I ask. I have to go; they're starting the receiving line."

"Okay, see you soon and I promise to make it up to you."

^^^^^^^^

"Will wonders never cease!" Debbie muttered to herself as they were about to enter the reception hall.

"What are you mumbling about, Deb?" Carl asked.

"Craig Taylor finally grew some balls; it's about fucking time too."

"Deborah Jane!" Carl was about to admonish his wife. "We need to keep the peace, for Molly's sake."

"Don't worry, honey, I won't say a word to that bastard. But you can't blame me if I accidentally stomp on his toe while we're on the dance floor."

^^^^^^^^

"I wonder where they're going on their honeymoon?" Mel asked Lindsay as they were checking their coats. Gus was wearing an Armani suit that his father had chosen and Brian's favorite tailor had adjusted it to drape perfectly on the young Kinney. JR shared her step-sister's love of pink. She was wearing a lovely dress befitting a pre-teen.

"Cancun, I think that's what Justin said. For two whole weeks on the beach." Lindsay sighed with envy.

"Lindz, I swear, I already told my partners that I need some time off with my family. We can plan a real family vacation over the winter break."

"And you and me?" Not only did Lindsay want to take a vacation with their children, she and Mel deserved some time on their own.

"First with them, then just you and me," Melanie assured her wife. Lindsay smiled brightly then gave Mel a hug.

"Cut it out, Mama," JR whined. "You're embarrassing me."

Lindsay and Melanie rolled their eyes as they broke apart. They regrouped as they were about to give their congratulations to the wedding party.

^^^^^^^^

Craig took his position next to Molly in the reception line. Susan stood beside him and he beamed proudly at her. She looked as beautiful as the day he had married her. He was relieved that he had made the decision to escort Molly down the aisle. She had been so happy to see him, and everyone had been stunned by his appearance. It had been worth the price to see their faces. And the price of admission had been high. He looked around the room noting his son and Kinney holding Briana's hands as they chatted with that loud woman with the red hair. He couldn't help but scowl.

They were going to come through the reception line, and he would be forced to shake that pervert's hand. He started trying to dream up a way around that. Maybe if he picked up Briana and kissed her, he could avoid contact with Kinney. He'd have to think of something.

He looked down the line wondering where Jennifer was. She should be in position in the line by now, but she still wasn't anywhere in evidence. He had noticed her sitting with a distinguished looking man at the wedding, someone he had never seen her with before. He wondered what that was all about, but now the man seemed to be nowhere in sight. Maybe he had stood Jennifer up or they had had a fight. He knew all about fights. He smiled as Susan laid her hand on his arm. It was nice to be back on good terms with her.

Owen Sr. and Sharon joined the line along with that Kingsley woman. She was an old battleaxe if anyone deserved that title. She was also the worst kind of snooty, having come from old money. He could have done very well without her being around, but she came with the Brenner family. She never had a kind word for anyone except herself, and occasionally her daughter. He wasn't sure how Owen and Sharon put up with her all the time, but that was their problem, not his. She was the one big drawback of Molly marrying into the Brenner family.

"Nice to see you again, Sarah," Craig said plastering a smile on his face as he took Sarah Kingsley's extended hand and gave it a gentle shake.

Sarah smiled knowingly. "It was too bad you didn't manage to get to the rehearsal dinner," she said to Craig. "It was a lovely affair."

Craig heard the implied criticism of his actions. He would have liked to tell her where she could strategically place her goddam rehearsal dinner. "I'm sure it was," he replied, deciding to be as non-committal as possible, and not get into a confrontation with the new in-laws.

"I hope this affair will prove to be up to snuff," she said.

Craig felt his temper rise. He was paying for a huge chunk of this "affair" as she called it. "I'm sure Owen and Molly have made all the right decisions," Craig said, hoping that putting some of the onus for the reception on Sarah's grandson would make the old broad back off.

"Hm." Sarah turned and walked over to her position in the line, having nothing further to say to Craig Taylor.

"Well done," Susan whispered to Craig. "I thought you might smack her."

"It wasn't that I didn't want to," Craig laughed.

"I know." She gave a little chuckle of approval.

Just then a flustered looking Jennifer rushed over to the line and took her position beside Molly.

"Is everything okay, Mom?" Molly asked with a frown.

"Seth is stuck in traffic. There's some kind of an accident on the highway."

"Oh, that's too bad."

"He thinks he may be here in about an hour or so."

"There's no telling how long it'll take," Owen provided. "If there's serious injuries or a death, he could be stuck for a long time."

"Shit!" Jennifer sighed.

"Let's get started," Owen said to Emmett who had just walked over to them.

"I was about to say the same thing to you," Emmett observed with a toothy grin. "I'll get Brian and Justin to come through first, and then the bridesmaids and groomsmen."

"Okay," Molly said with a loud sigh. She really hated all this pretentious claptrap.

"Buck up, Missy," Emmett told her. "The food is going to be fabulous. It will make all this worthwhile."

"That's Mrs. Owen Brenner to you!" Molly had to smile at Emmett's enthusiasm.

Emmett hustled over to where Brian and Justin were standing. He tapped Justin on the shoulder and asked him to start making his way along the reception line. Justin signaled to Brian, and along with Bree they went to shake hands with Sarah Kingsley who was the first in the line, actually the last in the line, but no one dared tell her that. Emmett went off to round up the bridesmaids who normally might have been in the reception line. However, there were so many of them that it had been decided that they would not form part of the line. That might help speed things up a little.

Sarah cooed over Briana's dress and what a good flower girl she had made. She shook Brian's hand as Justin was moving along to Owen's parents. "A fine looking man like you should find himself a worthy young bride."

Brian almost choked at her words. He was about to tell her where she could go, when he glanced down at Bree who was looking up at them. "I already have a husband who is more than I could ever wish for," Brian said softly. He stepped past Sarah and shook hands with Owen Sr. who gave him a look of sympathy.

When Brian moved on to Sharon Brenner, Sarah leaned over to her son-in-law and whispered. "That man," she said eyeing Brian, "isn't half as smart as I thought he was. He doesn't seem to know when to use the words wife and husband. What a shame! He's so good looking."

Owen Sr. rolled his eyes to himself and tried not to laugh out loud. "Yes, mother," was all he said. He'd have to get Sharon to explain it all to her mother some time, or maybe not.

Justin arrived at his father in the reception line. He gave Susan a warm hug and held his hand out to his father. Craig took it and pulled Justin against him in a hug that had been many years in coming. Justin was stunned but he smiled as he was released from the hold. "Thanks for being here today, Dad."

"Where else would I be?" Craig asked with a small grin.

Justin couldn't believe this was actually his father, the man who had shunned him and called him names all these years.

Bree tugged at Craig's pant leg. "I do good, Gampa?" she asked.

"You did very good," Craig enthused picking her up and kissing her face.

"Very good," Susan concurred as she shook Brian's hand.

Brian glanced at Craig who still held Briana in his arms. "Come on, Bree. Your Grampa has other people to greet." He reached out and plucked Bree from Craig's arms. That done he moved on to Jennifer, still holding Bree, and successfully avoiding the need to shake Craig's hand. He would have done it for Justin and Molly, but he wasn't sure what Craig might have done when Brian extended his hand to him. Something told Brian that it was better not to find out.

"Thanks, Brian," Jennifer said softly as Brian moved over to her in the line. "One crisis averted."

Brian smiled ruefully.