- Text Size +

 

Chapter 2

^^^^^^^^

Brian immediately headed for the bar once he was through the reception line. He needed a drink. Craig Taylor had that effect on him.

Brian realized he was still carrying Bree. He deposited her on the bar, the two of them being the first into the ballroom where the reception would be held. He ordered a drink from the bartender. Justin must still be talking to his sister and Owen because he hadn't followed Brian into the room yet.

"Want a drink?" Brian asked Bree.

"I'll have what you have, Dada," Bree declared.

Brian snorted. "I don't think so, sweetheart, but how about some ginger ale before your daddy gets here?"

"'Kay," Bree giggled knowing that she normally never got soda. Her daddy usually only ever let her have juice. She liked the fizzy stuff.

Brian tossed back his scotch and ordered another one while he waited for Bree's soda. He had just handed it to her when Justin approached the bar.

"Brian?" he said, noting what Bree was now having a gulp of.

"It's a special occasion for a special little girl. She needs something harder than juice."

Justin had to laugh. "Enjoy the hard stuff now, sweetheart, because that's all you get."

Bree let out a satisfied belch, before saying, "'Kay, Daddy." She grinned happily as she held the now half full glass.

"I'll have a vodka," Justin said to the bartender.

Brian picked up his second drink and studied Justin. "You okay?" he asked.

"Yeah."

"Are you sorry your father's here?"

"Hell no! Why would you ask that?"

"You were supposed to be the one walking Molly down the aisle and standing in the reception line with her," Brian stated.

"I'm glad Dad decided to do his fatherly duties," Justin replied. He took a sip of his vodka.

"Okaay," Brian said. "Come on, Bree, let's get you down from the bar. Other people are starting to come in.

"I'm starving," Justin said.

"Me too, Daddy," Bree agreed.

Brian smiled at his two bottomless pits. "Emmett has his delicacies over here. Let's go give them a try."

They walked over to the side of the room where Emmett had trays of canapés. They were laid out very artistically with little hints of faux fur used again to continue the theme of the day.

Brian picked up one of Emmett's specialties. His pear with blue cheese in puff pastry melted in the mouth. Brian gave out an orgasmic moan as he finished his.

"I see you like my creation," Emmett said with a happy grin as he offered Brian another.

The usually very recalcitrant eater immediately accepted. He devoured the delicacy in one bite. "Shit, Emmett! These are too fucking good."

"I know. I can hardly wait until Mrs. Hoity-toity Sarah Kingsley tastes them."

"These are great too," Justin said devouring a tiny quiche that had a shrimp in the middle of it.

"Daddy," Bree said tugging on Justin's pant leg. "Hungry."

"Sorry, sweetheart, I got carried away."

"Just what I like to hear," Emmett laughed. "Let me make you a plate with a sample of all the canapés."

"That would be great, Emmett," Justin smiled. The table was starting to get surrounded with people, and he wanted to get Bree out of the way before someone pushed her or stepped on her inadvertently.

Brian snuck another pear and blue cheese canapé into his mouth. He needed to get away from the fucking table before he gained ten pounds. He went in search of another drink while Justin waited for the plate Emmett was making for them.

People began helping themselves to the hors d'oeuvres. Compliments were flying in Emmett's direction, as everyone raved about his culinary talents. The tall queen basked in his success. He had told Sean to hold back a mixed tray for the people in the reception line. He wanted Sarah Kingsley to get a taste of the best of his work.

Brian was waiting at the bar which was now packed with people. He felt a hand touch his arm and he turned to see who it was. "Stacey," he said. "How the hell are you?"

"As if you don't know," Stacy laughed. "I know you've been keeping a close eye on Kinnetik N'rgy."

"Of course I have."

"We're doing just fine, thank you very much."

"I know that too."

"I haven't been back to Pittsburgh in ages. It's good to see family and friends."

"Yeah, family and friends," Brian said skeptically.

"I mean it."

"Then why are you here talking to me?"

"You are my boss. I'm making nice."

"Is that what you're doing?" Brian snorted and then chuckled. "I'm just giving you a hard time."

"I know that too," Stacey shot back using Brian's own words.

"Can I order you a drink?" Brian asked as he finally got to the bar.

"Martini."

"Yes, ma'am."

Brian placed the order and they managed to squeeze out of the crowd at the bar, their drinks intact.

"Come on with me and let's find Justin," Brian said taking Stacey's elbow and steering her towards Justin who he could see over near the tables where they would sit for dinner.

As Brian and Stacey started through the crowd, Brian locked eyes with a distinguished looking black man. There was a flicker of recognition in the man's eyes. Brian frowned and kept on moving. He wondered who the man was, and where they might have met, but nothing came to mind.

"Justin," Stacey said as she approached Justin and Bree.

"Stacey," Justin replied giving her a big hug. "It's so good to see you again. Maybe we can catch up on what's going on with you."

"I hope we can spend a bit of time together."

"Hi, Stacey," a little voice said.

"And Miss Briana, flower girl extraordinaire," Stacey said, leaning down to kiss Bree's cheek.

"I do good."

"Yes, you did very good. Molly must have been very proud of you."

"To say nothing of her fathers," Brian added.

"That sounds like a story," Stacey laughed.

"If you have time, we can tell you," Justin chuckled. He started into the saga of Bree's practicing, gushing like the proud father he was.

Brian half listened as he looked around the room. He glimpsed the black man walking away from the bar carrying two drinks. The man gave Brian another quick look, again seeming to have some sort of recognition of who Brian was. Brian wondered is he had done business with the man at some point. It wasn't like him to forget business contacts. Even if he couldn't remember their names, he could usually remember the product. He frowned as he wracked his brain, but it was to no avail.

^^^^^^^^

"Oh excuse me," Katerina exclaimed shyly as she bumped into a handsome young man. She was trying to sample some of Emmett's delicacies but several other bridesmaids and groomsmen beat her to the buffet table. She was so nervous at being a bridesmaid, in spite of Molly's assurances, that she hadn't eaten breakfast and hardly any lunch. Katerina was very hungry and feeling rather faint.

"No, my fault," the young man stated with a slight Hispanic accent. Katerina's eyes and ears perked up. She thought she was the only Hispanic in attendance. "My name is Hector," he said as he held out his hand to shake Katerina's.

"Katerina," she replied, a little wobbly on her feet. Hector quickly assessed the situation then led Katerina to a nearby table. He stuck a soda in her hand and pushed his plate toward her. Katerina took a few sips of cola then nibbled on fruit. As her blood sugar began to rise, Katerina felt much better.

"Thank you," she said.

"I don't know what it is about America that forces all Latina to want to be like these bimbos," Hector stated, as he swept his arm at the bridesmaids.

"I beg your pardon?" Katerina was confused and did not like being compared to those women.

"You're on a diet, yes? You think you're too fat or your hair is too dark, that you're not blond."

"No, I'm not, but my youngest sister is, as well as my cousins," Katerina pointed to the bride and Justin. "And you are very rude!" Katerina stated in Spanish as she was about go back to her family. "You know nothing about me."

"Please, I'm sorry." Hector held up his hands. "You're right. Let me start all over again. Hello, my name is Hector Sanchez. I'm here with my partner, Raphael Angles. We are friends of the groom." Hector held out his hand again to Katerina. Katerina scrutinized Hector closely then lightly shook his hand.

"I am Katerina Taylor, cousin to Molly and Justin Taylor. I have been in this country for two years and I am studying to be a nurse. And I am NOT on a diet. I was so nervous about being a bridesmaid that I couldn't eat before."

"Boy, I was way off, wasn't I? People always assume things about me and my partner. I should have known better than to assume."

"Your partner?" Hector discreetly indicated Raphael. "He is very handsome. I have no partner. I have a good friend, but nursing school is very difficult and I volunteer at the clinic when I can. My friend, she just started at PIFA. We have little time to be together."

"So you're a..." Hector said softly. He recognized a kindred spirit but not everyone was out. Emmett took that moment to swing by with a tray.

"Katerina, honey, you look pale. Here, sweetie, have a few of these, you need the protein." Emmett slid about six baby quiches on her plate then whisked himself and his tray away. Katerina looked at the plate of food then at Hector. Realizing what most people would assume about Emmett, Katerina and Hector laughed.

"I am sorry that I upset you before," Hector said apologetically.

"I did not mean to snap at you, I was really very hungry and nervous. I have never been in a wedding before. And I am still learning English."

"You speak English very well. I was born here but my family speak only Spanish at home. We learned. But if you don't mind, would you tell me how you are related to the bride." Katerina ate two more baby quiches then told Hector the legend of Kinney and Patrick.

^^^^^^^^

"Owen, many congratulations of the day. But, um, can you tell me who is that pretty young woman who appears to fascinate Hector?" Raphael asked Owen Sr.

"Dr. Raph! I'm so glad to see you." Owen and Raphael shook hands. "She is a distant cousin of Molly and Justin's. She came here a couple of years ago and is studying to be a nurse." Owen explained what little he knew of Katerina. "She and Molly have become close. And several of her family are sponsoring her so that she can become a citizen."

"How long have I tended to your family's pets?" Owen appeared to be adding up many years. "Exactly. I think that earns you the right to call me Raphael, don't you?" Raphael turned his gaze back onto Katerina. "She's very pretty. She looks a lot like Molly."

"I've seen pictures of her older brother. He's almost exactly like Justin only with a darker complexion and dark hair, but he has those Taylor blue eyes."

"He must be stunning," Raphael let slip. "I hope Hector doesn't lead the poor thing on."

"Don't worry; Hector is not Katerina's type."

"Oh? Too short?"

"Too male. According to Molly, Katerina is partial to the fairer sex." Owen blushed and Raphael laughed. "Come, I'll introduce you." Owen Sr. led his friend and family vet to meet Katerina.

^^^^^^^^

"Down, Daddy." Bree began to squirm out of Justin's arms. For the moment, Bree had her fill of tasty treats and she wanted to say hello to Katerina. With Katerina so busy in school and helping at the clinic, Briana didn't see her too often. Brian and Justin watched as the little girl boldly pushed her way through the yards of satin and crinoline to get to her cousin.

When Bree reached the end of her journey, Katerina immediately placed the child on her lap and looked around for Bree's dads. Finding their gaze and their nods of approval, Katerina began to whisper simple Spanish endearments and phrases to the little girl. Bree began to parrot them back.

"Brian, you're staring. Stop it," Justin quietly admonished his partner. Justin knew that look.

"Sorry, Sunshine, but I just can't place that guy." Brian's brows began to knit together in annoyance.

"What guy?" Brian flicked his hand toward Raphael as he was being introduced to Katerina and Briana. "The younger one talking to Kat?"

"No, the older one. I know him from somewhere but I can't figure out from where."

Justin scrutinized the man a bit more. His artist's imagination allowed Justin to envision the man younger and wearing different clothing. A knowing smirk crossed Justin's lips. He decided to ease Brian's tortured mind...or not.

"Bri, how long were you the stud?" Justin asked nonchalantly. He could see the wheels turning in Brian's head. Before Brian could answer, Justin posed another question. "And in all that time, how many tricks did you do?" Brian's analytical mind began to calculate the average amount of tricks per week, multiply that by and by... Brian's eyebrows disappeared into his hairline. "Uh huh. And how many of them are memorable enough so that after all our years together as a committed couple, you still remember them?"

Brian thought hard, maybe that cop and the guy who found the lump but none of them were very memorable except for the one who never left. "I love you," Brian whispered to Justin. Justin smiled then burst out laughing. He grabbed Brian by the ears and pulled his head close so that they were nose to nose and looking cross-eyed at each other.

"You sound like Bree when she thinks she did something wrong. Bri, Pittsburgh isn't all that big. You're bound to run into an old trick or two. I'm surprised there aren't more of them here tonight, right in this room."

Justin had a firm grip on his ears so Brian couldn't turn his head. Aside from the distinguished black man, the only other former trick in the room was Ben. But Justin had a point.

"And I love you too, you big Smoosh." Justin gave Brian a loving and reassuring kiss. Brian was secure that nothing or no one could get between them.

Just then Gus walked by with two heavily laden plates in his hands.

"Jeez, Pops, get a room," Gus teased as he brought his burden to his mothers' table. Brian and Justin began giggling.

"Let's go face our past and our future, together," Justin said as he released Brian's ears, giving him one more discreet kiss. They got up to face whatever the day held for them...together.