- Text Size +

 

Chapter 3

^^^^^^^^

Justin dragged Brian through the rows of round tables looking for the one that had their names on it. They had started near the back of the room where the bar was located. Justin was making his way forward.

"We're not in the fucking front row, are we?" Brian griped.

"Of course, we are. I'm the brother of the bride."

"Shit!"

"What difference does it make where we sit?" Justin asked with a frown for his husband.

"The closer we are, the more I have to pretend to be paying attention."

Justin snorted. "You're pretty good at pretending to pay attention."

"What the fuck does that mean?" Brian demanded. He wasn't sure if that had been a compliment or a criticism.

"What do you think it means?" Justin asked as he continued to head for the row of tables closest to the lengthy head table set up at the front of the room.

"If I knew what the fuck you meant, I wouldn't have asked."

"You are so transparent," Justin told him.

"Transparent?" Brian frowned.

"Yeah, transparent."

"I'm going to have a fucking hissy fit, if you don't tell me what the hell you're driving at."

"Bri, sweetheart," Justin began in his most condescending tone. "We all know that you don't give a shit about protocol and social niceties."

"So?" Brian questioned. It wasn't like Justin to state the obvious.

"So, if we sat you at the back of the room, you'd be slipping out at every opportunity. In fact, you might never return."

"So?" Brian repeated.

Justin chuckled. "This is my sister's wedding. I have to be here for her. And I want you here with me."

"Are you saying that you asked to be seated at the front of the room … to hold me captive?" Brian asked in disbelief. He didn't think Justin would betray him like that.

"Of course not, you big smoosh."

"Okay," Brian said, slightly mollified.

"I could never hold you prisoner. You do that voluntarily for me … most of the time," Justin said with a laugh. "But when Emmett suggested this seating arrangement and Molly approved, I did agree. I thought it would … um … reduce the temptations for you." Justin stopped at one of about six tables that bordered the hardwood dance floor which separated the raised head table from the rest of the guests. Off to the side of the dance floor was another raised area that contained the DJ's equipment and a microphone on a stand.

"Asshole," Brian stated with a grin of understanding and admiration for his husband.

"I have to protect my interests," Justin said with his beatific smile.

"And I hope I'm included in those interests."

"You're number one, big guy, right along with Briana."

"Well, I guess that makes it … better," Brian admitted grudgingly.

"And I'll make it much better for you at the end of the evening," Justin said with a wink.

"Is that a promise?" Justin nodded. "So, what was this about me pretending to pay attention?"

Justin sighed. "You're so crafty, Brian Kinney. I know that you pay attention even when you look like you're not. I learned that a long time ago."

"You did, huh?" Brian asked, crossing his arms on his chest and smirking at Justin.

"I've always told you that I was onto you," Justin laughed. "And I am."

"If I'm paying so much attention, then why do I need to pretend to pay attention?" Brian asked. He wanted to get this straight.

"You don't need to. But sometimes you find it effective to show interest. Most of the time though, you find it more effective to pretend that you're not interested. Then people say and do things that they would not do if they knew you were watching," Justin explained.

"And what good is there in my doing this?" Brian asked smugly, not denying that that was exactly what he did.

"I've always known that you were an excellent judge of character, except maybe for one or two little slips."

"Really?" Brian asked. He'd have to find out what were the one or two slips Justin was talking about. But that could wait until later.

"That supposed lack of interest lets you learn lots of things."

Brian snorted. "You make me sound like a master of deception."

"You are … or rather you were. I think, these days, you find it a lot less necessary to carry on your deceptions."

"That's what you think, is it?"

"Yep." Justin nodded his head in affirmation.

"Shit! I thought I still had a few secrets."

"Not from me, you big Smoosh," Justin giggled.

"That sounded like a capital 'S'." Brian observed.

"It was."

"And a little while ago, it was a small 's'."

"Right," Justin smiled. "See how much you pay attention."

"Even when you might think I'm not," Brian stated.

"Even when others might think you're not. Me, I know differently."

"Yes, you do," Brian admitted with a grin. "I guess I'll have to be happy sitting in the front row … as long as it's with you."

"Or you can pretend to be happy," Justin chuckled. "Here we are … front row center."

Brian looked at the name card that said "Justin Taylor" handwritten in a fancy style of calligraphy. The ink was the palest blue on a silky white stiff paper. Across the top of the card was a row of fur that matched the fur on the neckline of Molly's gown.

"That isn't real fur, is it?" Brian asked.

Justin chuckled and shook his head. "Emm had a devil of a time finding faux fur that would look so much like what's on Molly's dress, but he pulled it off."

"Not bad," Brian agreed, picking up the card that held his own name. He touched the fur to make sure it wasn't real.

"Attention to detail, that's Emm's forte."

"Absolutely," Brian said, as he snagged another one of the pear and blue cheese puffs as a waiter went by with a tray of them.

"You won't have any room left for dinner," Justin groaned.

"This can be dinner as far as I'm concerned," Brian stated. He took a big bite out of the canapé. "These have to be the best thing that big fairy ever created."

"This big fairy will take that compliment," Emmett grinned, as he approached his two friends.

"Brian has eaten at least a dozen of those things," Justin explained.

"No! Brian Kinney who never eats carbs after seven?" Emmett exclaimed.

"It's only quarter to seven," Brian said smugly looking at his watch.

Emmett smiled. "I'm glad you like them so much. Even that old battleaxe, Sarah Kingsley, has been scarfing them down."

"I hope she appreciates just what a great chef you are," Justin stated adamantly.

"I don't expect to hear that from her lips. She's too sly and too mean to say something like that openly. But I do relish seeing her snatch canapés whenever they go by. It means she really likes them."

"You deserve a lot of credit, Emmett," Justin said sincerely.

"Thank, sweetie. And so does someone else who helped out when he was needed." Emmett looked meaningfully at Brian.

"Would you go check on your minions or bake some of these," Brian said downing the rest of the puff pastry as he shooed Emmett away.

"I think Emm's onto you too," Justin chuckled.

"Let me keep a few of my delusions, will you?" Brian sighed.

"Sure, big guy. Let's go find our daughter before she talks Katerina's ear off."

Brian put his hand in the small of Justin's back, so that he had contact with his husband as they made their way back through the tables.

^^^^^^^^

Bree was happily sitting on her Auntie Kat's lap and while she wasn't the whole center of attention, Bree relished in being included, every once in a while, in the adults' conversation. The nice Mr.Owen had brought a big man over to introduce to Auntie Kat, Bree was so pleased when the big man bowed to Bree and Katerina and kissed their hands. Bree had a hard time pronouncing the big man's name but he said it was okay to call him Raph. Raph seemed to be a very good friend to Mr. Hector. Mr. Hector seemed to be making friends with Katerina.

For the most part the conversation was light. Mr.Owen was congratulated again. The bride and groom were complimented as well as Katerina and, of course, Bree. That pleased Briana to no end. Bree sat back against her auntie, smiling one of her sunniest and watching.

"Owen, how is Miss Tiffany doing?" Hector asked as Raphael pulled up a chair and sat next to him.

"Much better, now that she has grown accustomed to her new diet," Owen Sr. replied.

"Good, I had a devil of a time researching that one. Those diets are not in your standard dog books," Hector commented, and Katerina's eyes grew wide. She thought they were talking about a person or a sick child.

"Excuse me?" Katerina turned to Hector for a little help. How does one translate 'teacup poodle'? Hector quickly fired off an explanation which made Katerina giggle and blush.

"Hector! Are you saying mean things about poor little Miss Tiffany?" Raphael admonished his partner in all things. Raphael had a gleam in his eyes. The elder Owen groaned pitifully.

"You're not going to let that one go, are you?" Both Raphael and Hector shook their heads and valiantly attempted not to laugh. They failed. Owen sighed loudly then began his explanation for Katerina and Bree.

"You see, my mother-in-law adores unique and special things..."

"Like my Daddy's paintings?" Bree asked. You couldn't get any more unique or special than his paintings.

"Yes, something like that. However, she wanted something to keep her company, so Sarah got a 'teacup poodle.' It's a very tiny dog that can fit in the palm of your hand." Owen held out his hand to demonstrate for Bree and Kat. Bree's mind went off to the races as she held her hand out and then thought about Beau.

"Well, Miss Tiffany, that's the dog's name..." Raphael and Hector snickered, Owen shot them a look. "Miss Tiffany became ill so I took her to our family veterinarian, Dr. Raphael Angles, and his trusty vet tech, Hector Sanchez. They made her all better." Owen sat back and crossed his arms on his chest, the universal sign that one has spoken and daring anyone to defy one.

"I think you're forgetting one important detail," Hector stated, taking the bull by the horns.

"I don't believe so," Owen remarked casually.

"Katerina, when Owen came into our office he was very upset. The little dog was having trouble eating and, well, um, you're studying to be a nurse. You know what goes in must come out. The little thing was experiencing a blockage. Owen came rushing into the office, speaking very fast, and we had no idea where the dog was." Raphael then took over the tale.

"We finally got Owen calm and we asked him where was the dog? We have been known to make house calls. I thought perhaps little Miss Tiffany was home and Owen wanted me to go out to see her. Owen stopped for a moment then began to pat himself down." Raphael demonstrated for Katerina and Bree. "He put his hand in his pocket..."

At that point, Hector and Raphael couldn't hold back their laughter. Owen took over the story again.

"I had put the pup in my pocket to keep her safe as I drove to their office. It was the only place I could think of. I didn't want to put her in a box. She might have gotten hurt or scared. But I forgot which pocket I had her in." By now Hector and Raph were laughing like hyenas. "Anyway, when I took her out of my pocket she had made a little 'mess.'" The laughing grew louder.

^^^^^^^^

"Looks like the Squirt is having fun without us, Sunshine," Brian snarked as they approached the table.

"Hmm," Justin snorted.

"Dada!" Bree said loudly as she raised up her arms for Brian to take her. "Mr. Owen's 'motherlaw' has a cup puppy that pooped in his pocket!" When the snickering stopped, Owen made the introductions.

"Raphael, Hector, this is Justin Taylor, brother of the bride." Hector and Raphael stood up to shake Justin's hand. Both were impressed by Justin in more ways than one. Brian arched a suspicious brow.

"And his partner, Brian...."

"Kinney!" Both Raphael and Hector said together. Owen was pleased that not all of the guests were complete strangers to each other.

"So you know Brian," Owen said innocently. "Damn, I'm getting the eye from Sharon, excuse me." Owen rushed off to mingle with more guests leaving Brian and Justin squaring off with Raphael and Hector. Owen didn't hear their remarks.

"By reputation only," growled Hector.

"Only in the Biblical sense," snarked Raphael.

"Shit," Justin exclaimed.

"Shit!" Bree mimicked.

Not totally understanding what was happening, but sensing something wasn't completely right, Katerina took Bree out of Brian's arms.

"Briana, lets go talk to Gus."

"Yay!" Bree loved her big brother. Katerina hustled Bree over to Gus.

^^^^^^^^

"Brian Kinney," Brian stated with dignity and authority as he held out his hand to Raphael.

"Raphael Angles." Raph shook Brian's hand. "And my partner, Hector." Brian and Hector nodded at each other, then both received a nudge from their respective partners. They then shook hands.

"Well, this is awkward," Hector grumbled.

"Don't let it be," Brian began, never afraid to go where angels feared to tread. "We're all grown up now. Don't let whatever you might have heard about me or known," Brian looked Raph in the eyes, "mar Molly and Owen's day. That Brian doesn't exist anymore. This Brian is in a committed relationship..."

Justin's eyes grew misty as he heard and listened to his lover. Brian proudly said the 'R' word and in front of people. Justin sidled closer, allowing Brian to pull him in.

"And has been for a very long time. We have children and live very ordinary lives. I'm not apologizing for what I was but it's irrelevant now."

"How long have you been committed?" Hector asked softly.

"We had our commitment ceremony over six years ago but we've been exclusive for more than ten," Justin said proudly.

"I read about your ceremony," Raph stated. "It was big news in certain circles. It was before I met Hector and I was establishing my own practice. I thought it was a shame. The Brian Kinney, settling down, impossible. A man like you couldn't change."

"I had a lot of incentive," Brian stated indicating Justin and his family. Raphael and Hector nodded as their hands touched and fingers entwined. "Besides, I have met my match in all things. I have no need for anyone else." Brian leaned closer to Justin and softly kissed his temple. Justin couldn't help but give Brian his sunshine smile.

"Let's enjoy the evening, gentlemen, and celebrate the commitment," Brian said as he extended his hand to Raph. The four men exchanged handshakes before Brian and Justin returned to their table.

Brian slung his arm around Justin's shoulder, pulling the shorter man into him. He leaned down to kiss the side of Justin's head. Before Brian released his grip, he imparted some words of wisdom to his smartass spouse. "Justin, don't call me sweetheart," Brian growled, proving Justin's point that, Brian the master of deception was indeed paying attention. Justin giggled.