- Text Size +

 

Chapter 7

^^^^^^^^

Ethan Gold walked off the raised area that acted as a stage for the DJ. He heard the familiar sounds of Babylon, the long remembered club that he had rarely frequented with Justin, all those years ago. Strange that the music would make him think of that place. It certainly wasn't his favorite type of place to hang out, but Justin had liked it, once in a while.

He walked towards Sarah Kingsley, the old biddy who had hired him for this gig. He normally would have turned her down flat, but she had been his patron over the years, and he did owe her. Now the debt could be considered paid.

"Ethan, my dear," Sarah said. "That was just lovely, exactly what I had in mind for the first dance."

"Thank you, Mrs. Kingsley. It was my pleasure," Ethan lied. He had learned how to be very gracious since he had left Pittsburgh. Maybe it was being back in this godforsaken place that made him feel so uneasy.

"Ethan, dear, I'd like to introduce you to my daughter and her husband. And I do hope you'll stay for dessert."

"I…"

"Wonder where Sharon and Owen have got to. They must be around here somewhere. Would you listen to that awful music." Sarah scanned the dance floor looking for her daughter. "Oh my!" she said clutching at the neck of her dress.

"What is it, Mrs. Kingsley?" Ethan asked quickly. He was afraid she was having a heart attack. That would be the last thing he needed, to be written up in the paper that he was playing at some idiotic wedding and the grandmother of the groom dies beside him. That would be his worst nightmare.

"That!" was all Sarah could manage to say, as she pointed towards the dance floor.

Ethan followed her finger and his heart leapt in his chest. "Brian and Justin," he whispered. He stared, as they ground against each other while most of the people at the wedding watched. They were still together, and they were here, and so was he.

"What … what are they doing?" Sarah Kingsley sputtered to Ethan Gold.

"I think it's called dancing," Ethan replied.

"That … that's not dancing. It's like sex on the dance floor." She whispered the word "sex".

"It could be called that I guess," Ethan agreed.

"But they're men. What are they doing?"

"I'd say it's called being gay."

"Gay?" Sarah stared for a minute. "But I was told that Mr. Kinney was a very prominent businessman, and that Justin Taylor is a famous artist." Sarah was very confused. If they were gay, why hadn't Owen or Sharon filled her in on that? They had let her believe…

"That doesn't mean they can't be gay," Ethan said in measured tones.

"But…"

"I need to get a drink," Ethan said, tiring of trying to explain Brian and Justin to the old broad. He couldn't even explain Brian and Justin to himself. "I get dehydrated during a performance," Ethan added, not wanting her to know the real reason he needed a drink. He quickly headed for the bar. The invitation to stay for dessert was suddenly very unappetizing.

^^^^^^^^

Brian and Justin finished their dance. Brian was draped all over his partner. The music stopped and everyone held their breath to see what the two men on the dance floor would do next.

"Um, Bri, let's go find our table," Justin said softly.

Brian groaned. "Do we have to? I could fuck you right here, or we could find the restroom."

"Behave yourself."

"They all wanted a show. I guess we gave it to them. Too bad we can't take it to its logical conclusion."

"There is no logical conclusion," Justin smirked, "just mindless sex."

"The best kind." Brian smiled at him.

"Absolutely. Now if I could get back to the table without everyone seeing the rather prominent bulge in my pants, I'd be happy."

"Hey, wear that bulge proudly. Half the old geezers here can't get it up without the little blue pill."

Justin laughed and suddenly felt much better. He released his hold on Brian and the two men walked across the dance floor to the applause of many of the guests. Neither cared about the still visible bulges they sported.

^^^^^^^^

"That has to be the most disgusting display I've ever seen," Sarah Kingsley told her daughter.

"I thought it was kind of hot," Sharon muttered, trying not to blush.

"What was that, dear?"

"I said that it's rather hot in here."

"My, yes, it is. You'd think a hotel like the Plaza could regulate its temperatures more effectively."

'Not when you have two hot guys heating up the dance floor,' Sharon thought. This time she didn't say it out loud.

^^^^^^^^

"What the fuck does Brian think he's doing?" Michael griped, as he watched Brian and Justin walk off the dance floor.

"What do you mean?" Ben sighed.

"He should know better than to let Justin make him act like that at Molly's wedding."

"I'm sure Justin didn't make him do anything he didn't want to do," Ben said patiently.

"That little asshole is always getting Brian to do things that are out of character."

"And dancing like that is out of character for Brian Kinney?" Ben scoffed.

"He knows better than to do that at a place like this," Michael said, defending his longtime friend. "It has to be Justin's fault."

"Justin grew up in the country club set," Ben reasoned. "He wouldn't normally act like that either, but together they just can't resist." Michael did his version of a snort. "So you admit they both were at fault."

"I guess," Michael said slowly. He hated admitting that Brian did something wrong, if he could blame it on Justin.

"Did it ever occur to you that you're deluding yourself in your thinking about Brian?" Ben asked. He used a gentle tone, but he really wanted Michael to think about what he was asking.

"What's that supposed to mean?" Michael demanded, crossing his arms on his chest in the pose that Ben was all too familiar with.

"Um … forget it," Ben said, giving in. He didn't want to fight in the middle of Molly's wedding. "Let's dance."

"Okay," Michael said with a smile. He seemed to have won the argument, and he would like to dance. "But not like Brian and Justin."

"And when do we ever dance like that?" Ben muttered, as he took Michael's hand and they went out onto the dance floor.

^^^^^^^^

"Allen? Allen, from the symphony, right? You're a..."

"Percussionist," Allen replied as Ethan held out his hand for Allen to shake. They had wound up at the bar at the same time.

"Percussionist, yes. I last saw you, when?"

"The last time the symphony went on tour. I believe you made a guest appearance when we were in Boston last year."

"That's right. Are you acquainted with the Brenners?"

"More the new Mrs. Brenner. My partner, Ted, is friends with her brother, Justin."

"Justin. Small world. And you know Brian."

"Rather well." Ethan's eyes grew large at that comment. "No, not in that way, although I think my younger brother may have been privileged to know Brian in that respect. Ted and I owe our relationship to him. I guess I'm considered family."

"It takes a very strong person to become accepted into that family."

"Perhaps. They're a tight bunch. Like any family, they argue and get on each others nerves, but heaven help the bugger who tries to hurt any one of them. There would be hell to pay."

"Yes, I remember. It was nice speaking with you," Ethan said as he held out his hand and effectively ended the conversation. He didn't need to hear any more.

Someone started clinking a spoon against another glass calling for the bride and groom to kiss. As Owen drew Molly in for a kiss, Justin leaned closer to Brian requesting his own kiss.

"Mmm, good little boys get cake," Brian purred in Justin's ear after bestowing the requested kiss.

"And what do bad little boys get?" Justin's voice sounded husky with lust.

"To top their partners," Brian whispered then nipped at the delicate shell of Justin's ear.

"Yum, I get my cake and to eat it too!" Justin waggled his eyebrows at Brian.

"And anything else you want to eat," Brian murmured.

"I am so glad we decided to take that suite upstairs for the night. I don't think I can wait until we get back to the loft."

"Neither can I. Maybe we can make a discreet exit after the cake," Brian suggested.

"I wish, big guy, but it wouldn't look good if the brother of the bride went off on a honeymoon before the bride did." The lovers sighed as one, and prayed the cake would be served soon.

^^^^^^^^

"Jenn, how can you allow that?" Craig asked.

"Allow what?" Jennifer asked innocently as she sipped her coffee while Seth was mingling.

"That!" Craig pointed at their son and Brian. They just caught sight of the kiss.

"They're in love, Craig. You remember what that's like. They are totally gaga over each other. And they have been for sixteen years and counting. Leave them alone. If you can't or won't accept it then don't look." Jennifer picked up her cup and dismissed her homophobic ex-husband.

^^^^^^^^

"Raph?" Hector sounded very serious.

"Yes."

"You were one of his tricks, weren't you?"

"Yes, but that had to be over twenty years ago. We were all wild back then."

"Was it at that club?"

"Babylon? Yes. Why are you dredging this all up now? I've never hidden anything from you. Didn't you enjoy your youth?"

"Yes, I did but I never got fucked by the stud of Liberty Avenue."

"And from what I've learned here tonight, you never will." Raphael and Hector turned their attention to Brian and Justin just in time to witness their kiss.

^^^^^^^^

"Justin, may I have a word with you, dear?" Sharon Brenner had come to their table to seek out Justin. "Would you join me at my table?"

"Of course, Mrs. Brenner." Justin stood to follow Molly's new mother-in-law back to her table. But not before he threw Brian a pleading look.

"Justin! I believe you are acquainted with Ethan," Sarah announced above the music, so that her circle of society ladies could hear and see that Sarah Kingsley could count not only a famous artist as a relative but a famous musician as an acquaintance. Justin smiled softly at the woman then turned to say hello to Ethan.

"Hello, Ethan, how are you?"

"Good. I was in New York recently, I saw your show. It was very moving."

"Thank you. I read you've been touring Europe and you've been very well received."

"Yes, my agent thinks I'm better appreciated there."

"You were always appreciated here."

"Maybe I was but I just couldn't see it back then."

Justin shrugged, but before he could make a comment, Bree came running over.

"Daddy, Auntie Emm is going to bring in the cake! You hafta come back to our table," Bree said very determinedly. Justin lifted the child into his arms.

"Okay, baby. Briana, I'd like you to meet Ethan Gold. We went to the same school," Justin introduced his daughter to Ethan.

"It's a pleasure to meet you, Miss Taylor," Ethan said formally.

"My name is Briana Victoria Kinney-Taylor!" Bree said stressing the Kinney half of her name then shooting off a death glare worthy of that name.

"I stand corrected, Miss Kinney-Taylor." Ethan bowed slightly. "She's beautiful, Justin. So like you. You must be very proud."

"I am, very proud." Justin gave Bree a soft kiss to her cheek. "How long will you be in town? Will you tour with the symphony for their holiday concerts?"

"No, I fly to England on Monday."

"Then I wish you well." Justin held out his hand.

"You too. I guess you got what you wanted," Ethan said softly, as he touched Justin's hand for perhaps the last time.

"Yes, I have everything I could possibly want. Goodbye, Ethan."

"Goodbye, Justin. And Jus," Ethan began, as Justin turned to go back to his family's table. "Tell Brian, thank you. I took his advice; he was right."

"He usually is." Justin nodded then returned to their table.

"I don't like him, Daddy," Bree whispered into her Daddy's ear.

"I know, sweetheart. I don't think I like him very much either."

^^^^^^^^

Justin came back to their table. Everyone who knew anything about his history with Ethan was staring at him, failing miserably at trying to be nonchalant. Bree quickly scrambled into her Dada's lap.

"You okay, Sunshine?" Brian asked with concern. He felt no real threat from the fiddler's presence but understood Justin's discomfort.

"I'm fine," Justin replied.

"Should I beat him up for you?" Brian teased.

"No, that would just upset Sarah Kingsley. She just set another feather into her cap. She has me and Ethan."

"That's some stable."

"I suppose," Justin sighed.

"Guess I'm not the only one here with a former trick or two."

"Guess not."

"Don't worry about it, Sunshine. We all learn from our mistakes and I appreciate what I have." Brian beamed at Justin as he bounced Bree on his knee. The little girl giggled with delight.

"Yeah, you're right and that was a long time ago. I appreciate everything I have too." Justin smiled back.

"I appreciate too, Dada!" Bree said carefully.

"I know you do, Squirt." The lights dimmed as the wedding cake and Viennese Table were about to roll in. Bree took that moment to let her Dada know how she stood regarding Ethan.

"Dada," Bree whispered close to Brian's ear, but so that Justin could hear too. "Is it okay that I don't like Ian even if he does play the fiddle nice?"

"It's okay, Bree. I don't think we'll be seeing him anytime soon after tonight."

"That's good, Dada."

"Real good," both of Briana's fathers agreed.