- Text Size +

 

Chapter 6

^^^^^^^^

The dinner music was playing in the background as the main course plates were quickly removed by the wait staff. Emmett was still sitting with Drew and Ted and Allen. He insisted, however, that he had to go check on the desserts. With a resigned sigh, Drew let him go.

"He worries too much," Drew said when Emmett was out of earshot.

"He just wants everything to come off flawlessly," Ted replied.

"I know, but he puts so much pressure on himself."

"He'll be fine, Drew," Allen said trying to be reassuring.

"I hope so."

^^^^^^^^

The waiter picked up Bree's plate which was pretty well cleaned off except for several pieces of rutabaga and a couple of parsnips.

"What's next, Dada?" Bree asked as she gave a subdued yawn.

"You getting tired, Squirt?" Brian asked.

It was already past Bree's normal bedtime. All the courses, interspersed with tiny bowls of sorbet to clear the palate, had taken much longer than expected. Even though Emmett ensured that the service was brisk, the multitudinous courses took a long time to serve and remove for such a big crowd.

"I okay, Dada," Bree said sitting up straight. She certainly didn't want to be put to bed. She wanted to dance with her daddies. They had promised her she could.

Brian smiled. Bree was trying to be so grown up and she wasn't even five yet. He didn't want her to grow up, he decided. She was beautiful and fun and sweet … and perfect just the way she was. She should stay exactly like this. He studied her thoughtfully, realizing how blessed his life really was.

"Dada!"

"Yes, Squirt," Brian said coming out of his reverie. All the encounters with his fucking former tricks had put him in a maudlin mood.

"When can we dance?"

Brian chuckled. "Soon, sweetheart, soon."

"Now?" she asked. She was ready to dance.

"No, we have to eat our sorbet first, and then when dessert is served we'll have interminable toasts and then…"

"What's imterbabble?" Bree interrupted. There sure were a lot of strange big words at weddings.

"A lot," Justin supplied, having listened to the beginning of a Brian tirade. "Eat some sorbet."

"What kind now?" Bree asked. They had already had orange, peach and kiwi.

"It's pear," Justin told her as he took a little spoonful. "Very good too."

Bree dutifully picked up her spoon and took a small bite of the icy concoction. "Good," she verified.

Brian smiled at her, picked up his own spoon and took a bite of sorbet. He wondered how many more hours were left before he could take Justin to bed.

^^^^^^^^

Sean and the minions began to serve dessert, fresh fruit garnished with sprigs of mint and drizzled with dark chocolate. It was light, refreshing and it felt good after the long meal. It also left plenty of room for cake. As coffee and tea were being served, it was then time for the toasts!

Brian sighed heavily and rolled his eyes. He began to thank whatever gods were overhead that he didn't have to attend these types of functions very often. The best man was about to toast the bride and groom, when...

"Pee pee, Dada," Bree whispered to Brian. Brian smirked at Justin who was trying to patiently pay attention to all of the toasts.

"Whoops! Gotta go. We'll be back in a few minutes, Sunshine. Take notes for me." Brian barely contained his giggle.

"Uh huh," Justin glared as Brian took Bree to the nearest restroom. They returned just in time for the first dance. The lights had been dimmed so Brian and Bree waited discreetly by the door.

The MC announced the first dance. Owen arose from his seat and extended his hand to Molly. A spotlight focused on the newlyweds to guide them to the center of the dance floor. Another spotlight at the far end of the banquet hall came on. Standing on a platform was an elegantly dressed man, a priceless violin lovingly tucked under his chin, coal black waves of hair softly framing his face. As he began the Emperor's Waltz, Owen led his bride to the center of the room to dance.

Justin sat momentarily mesmerized by the music as well as the musician. He not only recognized the piece but the style in which it was being played. Justin's skin began to crawl. He turned his head to see Brian standing with Bree by the entrance, Brian's face backlit by the lights in the hallway. There was no mistaking it; Brian Kinney was not amused.

"Justin," Jennifer whispered into her son's ear. "Is that...?"

"Yeah," Justin replied with a pained expression.

"Oh fucking hell!" Jennifer exclaimed still in hushed tones. "Can this night get any worse?"

"Probably." Justin closed his eyes wishing it would all go away but knowing it would still be there when his eyes opened again. "He's going to kill all of us."

"Emmett wouldn't have..."

"No, he wouldn't."

"Sarah Kingsley," mother and son said in unison then sighed, both shaking their blond heads with trepidation.

"Please let it end quickly," Jennifer pleaded to the gods.

"Knowing him," Justin cocked his head toward the violinist, "this will take a while," Justin said trying not to whine. He picked up his glass and took a large gulp of champagne then finished off whatever was left in Brian's glass. The night had just gotten a hell of a lot longer.

^^^^^^^^

"Fucking hell!" Debbie exclaimed then received a poke to her ribs from Carl.

"Deb, sweetheart, what's wrong now?"

"Don't you know who that is?" Debbie asked Carl incredulously.

"Am I supposed to know?"

"That's the fiddler."

"I can see that, Deb."

"No, no, no. THE fiddler."

"You mean Justin's fiddler?"

"The very same."

"Too bad I don't have my cuffs with me."

"Why?"

"Before this night is over, I may have to make a citizen's arrest when Brian Kinney murders one Ethan Gold."

^^^^^^^^

"This can't be happening."

Emmett was just outside of the banquet hall by the service entrance. He didn't want any waiters to go in until the first dance had concluded. He and Molly had chosen the perfect music for the first dance. Unbeknownst to either of them, Sarah Kingsley had other plans.

"He's going to kill him then he's going to kill me!" Emmett Honeycutt started to sweat.

^^^^^^^^

"Mother, is that the famous Ethan Gold?" Sharon Brenner asked Sarah with amazement and admiration.

"Yes, it is," Sarah responded smugly. "I may not have a Justin Taylor collection but I have sponsored this young man for many years."

"But he never gives personal performances, for anyone!"

"I'm a Kingsley, dear. I am not just anyone," Sarah crowed quietly, as Ethan's sweet refrains continued on.

^^^^^^^^

"I have to go to him. He needs me," Michael whined, as he was about to get up from his chair. Ben placed a large heavily muscled arm around his spouse effectively trapping the smaller man.

"No you don't, Michael. You can't get up and walk across the floor now. The bride and groom haven't finished yet," Ben said sternly in his professor's voice.

"By the sound of it, we may be here all night listening to that."

"Then we sit and listen, Michael. But whatever we do, we do it from here." Ben had put his foot down.

^^^^^^^^

"Poor Brian," Lindsay whispered.

"Serves the asshole right," Melanie countered.

"How can you say that?" Lindsay asked angrily.

"Because he's always interfering in things that don't concern him. It's about time someone got one up on him."

"Melanie, if it wasn't for that man's interference, as you put it, we wouldn't be together," Lindsay growled, ending the conversation.

^^^^^^^^

"Up, Dada." Sensing something wrong, Bree wanted more contact with her Dada than just holding his hand. Brian swept the petite blonde into his arms. "Who dat?" Bree indicated the fiddler.

"Briana Victoria, you are one of the smartest people I know. Isn't it about time you stopped using your baby talk?" Brian arched a parental brow at his daughter.

Bree sighed; her Dada was onto her. "Who is that, Dada?" Bree carefully enunciated her words as she scrunched up her little nose.

"Much better. That man is Ethan Gold, an old friend of your Daddy's."

"A good friend? Will he visit us at home for Christmas?" Bree asked innocently.

"No, Squirt, not that kind of friend." Brian sighed heavily, recalling past indiscretions.

"You sad, Dada?"

"No, baby, just remembering some of those stupid things I did in the past."

"I forgive you," Bree said, as she wrapped her arms around Brian's neck.

"Thank you, Squirt. That makes me feel a lot better."

"Dada, will you dance with me?"

"Soon, Bree. When the announcer asks for the family to join in."

Briana began to study her Dada's face intensely. Her gaze then shifted to the fiddler, onto her Daddy and then back onto her Dada. She saw apprehension in the hazel eyes and the same look on her Daddy's face.

"Dada, you have to dance your special dance with Daddy," Bree said with authority, but with a twinkle in her violet blue eyes. Brian did a double take then looked directly into his daughter's eyes.

"You're a little devil, you know that?"

"I know, Dada," Bree said emphatically. Brian smothered his giggles in his daughter's neck.

As the lights began to come up, the announcer called for the father of the bride to dance with his daughter and the groom to dance with his mother. Brian was about to use that opportunity to take Bree back to their seats.

"Brian," Emmett called out softly, as he came around from the service entrance. He gently placed his hand on Brian's shoulder. "I swear, Brian, I had nothing to do with it," Emmett pleaded, hoping his friend would believe him. "I would never do anything to hurt you or Justin."

"Emm, it's all right. I know you didn't hire him. It was probably Sarah Kingsley," Brian reassured his friend. "It's okay, Emmett, we're okay. Now go scramble an egg or squeeze a canape or something." Brian smirked at Emmett.

Emmett answered with a wide grin. "I do not scramble eggs. I create miracles," Emmett crowed.

"Yes you do, now go and do them. I have to dance with the brother of the bride." Brian winked at Emmett then strode back to his seat with Bree in his arms.

^^^^^^^^

"And now will the parents of the bride and groom please join them in this first dance," the MC announced. Owen Sr. stood then held his hand out for Sharon. She clasped it firmly then proudly walked to the center of the dance floor.

Jennifer arose from her seat expecting Craig to be her partner. Craig who had released Molly walked to his table and took Susan's hand to lead her to the dance floor. This left Jennifer momentarily flustered. She had no partner which was now obvious to everyone assembled. Brian had just brought Bree back to the table. He swiftly placed Bree onto Justin's lap then stepped close to Jennifer. Brian took Jenn's elbow and led her onto the dance floor.

Brian gallantly danced Jennifer around the floor. With his sexy sophisticated good looks and her trim elegance, they made a striking couple. All of the eligible ladies, a few that weren't and several men in the room were quite envious.

The MC called for everyone to join the happy couple on the dance floor.

While Brian was occupied with Jennifer, Justin brought Bree onto the dance floor. He instructed Bree to place her little feet on top of his. With their brightest sunniest smiles dazzling the room, father and daughter danced.

As Brian was about to lead Jennifer around the floor again, he felt a gentle tap on his shoulder. He turned to find Seth Harris standing there, looking very dashing and ready to fulfill his role as Jennifer's escort. Brian smiled as he nodded then kissed Jennifer's hand before placing it into Seth's. Seth acknowledged the gesture then began to dance with his partner, but not before Jennifer kissed Brian's cheek in gratitude.

Brian stood at the edge of the dance floor. He watched as Owen Jr. swept his bride around the floor. Molly looked so happy, so beautiful, just like a princess in her prince's arms. Brian looked over at his partner and his own little princess dancing together, both giggling madly as Bree was doing her best to stay atop her father's feet. Brian smiled at their innocence. He took three long strides then tapped his spouse on the shoulder. Justin turned to see bright, loving, hazel eyes. Brian pulled his blonds in close. He kissed Justin's temple then swept up his daughter. It was Brian and Briana's turn to dance.

Justin stood at the edge of the dance floor watching the two most important people in his life having the time of their lives dancing. Brian held Bree up. She had one arm wrapped around Brian's neck, her other hand in her Dada's. They were having a ball.

"He looks like a good father," Craig commented to Justin, almost startling his son.

"He doesn't just look like a good father, he IS a good father. And the best partner." In for a penny, in for a pound, thought Justin.

"I suppose he is. Are you happy, Justin?"

"Yes, Dad, I am, very happy. My life couldn't have turned out any better."

"I saw your 'Old Masters.' That blond woman over there explained them to me. Your mother told me you almost stopped painting."

"I, uh..."

"She told me. Did your sister ever tell you about the time I thought I had disfigured her for life?" Justin's eyes grew wide, but he shook his head no. "I took her fishing. She was little. I think you were at camp or maybe staying with your grandparents. Anyway, Molly got hooked through her thumb. I swore I'd never let her out of my sight again or out of her room, but the next day she begged me to take her fishing again. She caught quite a whopper too, as I recall. The point is that kids will be kids. They don't always do what they're told and they get hurt. It's up to us to make them feel better and safe. I failed miserably with you and your sister. You're both grown but I promise to not let my prejudices and phobias get in the way of me being a grandfather to Briana. I won't promise to be nice to Brian but I will promise to be civil."

"That's all I ask, Dad." Craig nodded then went back to his wife, leaving Justin slightly stunned. Justin took that opportunity to dance with his sister.

Brian felt a tap on his butt. He turned, and seeing no one, he quickly looked down. There standing as tall as he possibly could for a seven year old, stood Patrick.

"Uncle Bri, can I please dance with Bree?" Patrick asked precisely.

"Of course, Sonny Boy. You hold on to her hand tight, stay where we can see you and no running. Either of you," Brian punctuated his warning with an arch of his brow. Both children bounced their little heads in agreement. Patrick told hold of Briana's hands and the two of them did their version of dancing. It reminded Brian of four little feet stomping on bugs but he didn't care. They were having the time of their lives. Brian walked back to the edge of the dance floor.

"Damn, they're growing fast!" John said into his brother's ear.

"Too fast, they make me feel old."

"Brian Kinney does not do old, he ages to perfection," John quipped. "If it makes you feel any better, I'll always be older than you."

"Thank the gods for that. Speaking of old, your old man looks like he needs to dance," Brian said with amusement. John clapped his brother on the back then went to dance with his lover.

The new Mrs. Molly Brenner felt a tap on her shoulder. Her brother-in-law, Brian Kinney, aka the wedding fixer, stood tall and smiling.

"Molly, if you're finished monopolizing my husband, I'd like to dance with him," Brian stated never taking his eyes off of Justin.

"Only if you promise to save a dance for me."

"It will be my pleasure, Mrs. Brenner," Brian said with a little peck to Molly's cheek. He grabbed Justin's hand, swung him around then pulled him up close into his arms. "Come on, Sunshine, let's show these hets how it's done." Brian planted a deep kiss onto Justin's lips as the DJ took over and sensual thumpa thumpa began to play.

Brian and Justin began their show.