- Text Size +

CHAPTER 23: IT’S NO FUN WHEN THE RABBIT’S GOT THE GUN Part 2


Crossing References…


Leslie Lockhart was stoked. She had been surprised when she received a call personally from the Taylor-Kinneys’ personal assistant granting her an exclusive interview scheduled for later this afternoon. Like the rest of the world, she was anxious to get the whole story. When the news broke during the society gossip section of Wake Up America, she couldn’t believe what she was hearing. She rewinded it to be certain, after all she wasn’t even aware if she was fully cognizant while having her first cup of coffee.


Taking the time to shower and dress, she dashed out of her house, making sure she grabbed a second cup of coffee. If this story was in any way more than mere conjecture, she would know by the activity within her office. By the time she arrived at the 42nd floor where the station was housed, there were no more doubts assailing her as she was greeted immediately by her assistant, Sandy, urging her to return the first call in a stack of messages. After the whole Senator Johnson debacle, she was at first ostracized and then gun-shy of doing exclusive interviews. But this was an opportunity not to be missed.


“Sandy, find out everything you can about Justin Taylor and his life-partner, Brian Kinney. I don’t want to go in without solid information of my own.”


“Wise move, but someday you will learn not to underestimate me. Aside from the press package that Kinnetik sends out, their assistant, Cynthia sent us a list of acceptable questions and what was off-limits.”


“Off-limits?”


“Yes. It would appear that there are others involved to whom the younger Mr. Taylor-Kinney had given his word that he would not mention. Also there are some specifics that can’t be discussed due to whatever litigation will be forthcoming.”


“They are that sure that they will be believed?”


Sandy nodded. “I would imagine so since they didn’t leak the information to the press in the first place. I get the impression from Ms. Moore that if both men had their way, no one would have ever known about Justin’s association with Connor and Brandon James.”


“Most people would kill to be associated with them in any capacity.”


“Justin Taylor-Kinney isn’t most people…”


“Do you know him? Personally, I mean.”


“I had some classes with him during high school and college. During high school he was incredibly friendly, voted ‘most likely to succeed’ and all that.”


“And in college? You went to the Art Institute as a creative writing and media majors, right?”


“Yeah, I did.” Sandy shrugged. “It’s what made me the perfect assistant for you, or at least so I said at the time.” They both chuckled at Sandy’s impromptu interview in the ladies room of the very building they were standing in. “Anyway, by college, Justin was… withdrawn. Distant. In all the ways that mattered, he was the Anti-Justin to the one I knew in high school. It could have had to do with the group of six men who followed him around on campus religiously. I’ll let Justin tell you his own story, but based on the information that came out this morning, all I can say is that if it really happened, then it explains so much, including his ‘unexplained’ absences for weeks at a time.” She finished quietly.


Leslie studied her assistant pensively for a moment. The way the young woman chewed her lip and diverted her eyes told Leslie that her assistant knew something more but wasn’t saying. She asked, “Sandy, off the record, you believe everything that was said on that video, don’t you?”


“Yes, I do. Regardless of the idiot spouting the nonsense, Justin’s face and body language spoke volumes, as did his silence. But it wasn’t in a shameful way, even though you could tell that he was ashamed of his secrets being exposed. His stillness and silence is something I’ve seen on the faces and in the body language of hundreds of abuse victims during my internship in New York. He had the look of people determined to face their enemies and take their lives back, or willing to die trying. I’m firmly convinced Justin Taylor-Kinney was cloaking himself in that same unidentifiable something that helped him to survive whatever he faced under their control. That young man is far from spineless, unlike the gutless wonder spouting off the accusations he’s clearly heard from someone else.”


“Do you think we should arrange to interview him, too? I mean, what was his motivation- his true desire- in doing this?”


“That’s the easiest question to answer that you’ve asked yet,” Sandy said as she handed Leslie another packet. “Meet the Brainless Wonder as he’s now being called around Gay P.A.”


“Michael Charles Novotny? Why does that name sound familiar?”


“Perhaps because of his former association with David Cameron about five years ago.”


“Oh, the loudmouth that moved with him to Portland in an effort to get his best friend… Ah, Brian Kinney was the best friend, wasn’t he?”


Sandy smiled. “Exactly. I think it was you who pointed out to David that his issues with Michael couldn’t be laid at Brian’s door, but that they were entirely Michael’s fault.”


“It was. I can’t believe that I didn’t connect the situation.”


“At the time, you had a lot of other things on your mind, such as your mom, and the whole issue of what Senator Baxter was demanding of you.”


That was true. Senator Diane Baxter was steadily putting the screws to her about investigating and interviewing Lynette Algers, who at the time was Senator Alex Johnson’s former mistress. But there was something else about… “Oh shit!”


“What is it?” Sandy looked at her employer with a puzzled look.


“Do you know who Lynette Algers is? I mean, aside from Johnson’s former mistress?”


“No. It was enough for me that he was arrested and that you were exonerated of his accusations that your questions were deliberately trying to railroad him. I never bothered to hunt for information on his idiotic ass after the media frenzy took hold of the story.”


“More fool us. Lynette Algers just so happens to be the biological sister of the woman being accused of helping Connor and Brandon James. Her maiden name is Peterson.”


“You’re sure?”


“Absolutely. It’s why Diane was hellbent on me running the story. There was some other information that was uncovered, but… Oh my God! The human trafficking accusation! That’s it! That’s it!”


“What is?! Leslie, calm the fuck down and tell me what’s going on!”


Leslie looked around wild-eyed, noticing that they had attracted the attention of the entire office. She felt incredibly uneasy at that knowledge, knowing that someone within the office was responsible for leaking key information to Johnson just hours before his interview with her. Which had him prepared to make her look incompetent, when she was anything but. Thinking quickly, she turned to Sandy and spoke in a voice that only her assistant could hear. “Gather your things and meet me downstairs in about five minutes. Make sure you pack away all of the information you have and clear your computer’s search history immediately before leaving. If anyone asks where you are going, tell them you are going to grab something from my attorney’s office for me. No one is to know any of what we discussed thus far or where we are going.”


“And just where are we going?”


Leslie smiled an enigmatic smile causing Sandy to return the gesture in kind. “I’ll tell you when we get in the car. In the meantime, I’m going to return Cynthia’s call and contact Diane. I think she’ll be interested to know that her accusations from a few years back, were indeed well-founded.”


*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*


No More Fast and Loose with the Truth…


Damn fucking little shit! I should have killed him when I had the chance! Craig thought as he stood by helplessly, watching as all his records were being confiscated. His soon-to-be-ex had received a call from Jennifer, advising that her entire world as she’d known it was about to crash down around her ears… and that of her children’s. It pissed Craig off because while he had almost sweet-talked Madison into returning home with the kids in tow, Jennifer had been in touch with that vindictive bitch he called a sister.


Bethany informed him that while Jennifer had asked her to look into one matter regarding Justin, she also wanted a thorough investigation to either prove or disprove Craig’s involvement. Upon her orders, the complete confiscation of every single record within his possession, his mobile phones, and his fucking computer resulted in an untenable situation and one he was absolutely powerless to stop or cover. Jennifer and Bethany had fixed the entire situation so that if he fought or denied the law enforcement personnel access in any way, he’d look as guilty as he was in actual fact. The reporters camped out across the street would make sure of that. Fucking Bethany and her very public promise that she would put her own mother in jail if it meant justice was served. She was about to make good on that promise, in more ways than she’d ever bargained for.


He reached for the phone, intent on calling Stockwell to give him a heads up and to see if any of their contacts within the precincts had any idea what was going on or who was in charge. He remembered just a little too late that the call he’d just placed wasn’t done from the prepaid cell phone he’d always used for when dealing with any business regarding Justin and the James Brothers… it was done from his landline.


*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*  


Commiserating with the Commish…


“I fucking swear. It looks more like what I would imagine purgatory to look like, than an upscale Penthouse.” Detective Struthers, also known as Stuckey, said as he addressed Carlton Kelly, the Police Commissioner. “It isn’t hard to imagine what went on here.”


Carlton nodded to the detective. They had worked the Special Victims unit together for a number of years and had seen much carnage together. Sometimes he wondered how he, the two of them, and many others who had done this type of work, managed to stay sane, even while doing their jobs effectively. For him, it was being able to at least find something that brought him back to life after being often surrounded physical and emotional death all day. For him, it was being a submissive to his Domme, Sarah and his Dominant, Josiah. Their polyamorous relationship definitely had its advantages since he also loved Sarah and Josiah equally and would never have to make a choice between the two.


“What do we know so far, Stuckey?”


“Not much beyond the media blitz going on, and speculation. Russo’s arrest a few weeks ago has caused its own shit storm. Apparently, some of those victims that came to us to report that they were abused and repeatedly raped ended up in the Pittsburgh judicial system. We definitely had, and have, a leak in the department, who is clearly working with the James brothers and possibly others.”


“Possibly? I think it’s safe to say that they couldn’t have committed these acts without help.”


“That’s the thing, Carl. By the looks of the place, it seems as if they were acting alone. But…”


“Spit it out, man!” Carlton ordered. He already felt uneasy standing outside of the Penthouse discussing this as calmly as if they discussed the weather. Something about this entire case was bugging him, and it had little to do with the accused being high-profile A-listers in Tinsel Town.


“Carl, Connor and Brandon James own a lending business. The money from their contracts within the entertainment business funds the loans. But I suspect there is more to it than what’s on the insignificant amount of paper we’ve found and what’s already fast becoming public knowledge.”


Carlton sighed. “Melanie Marcus- you remember her, right?- made mention of a journal that Justin Taylor-Kinney is in possession of. But he’s only holding onto it for insurance purposes.”


Insurance?”


“Yes. Apparently, it’s so that he keeps breathing after the situation with Connor and Brandon James is dealt with.”


“It makes sense, but also, we have to get ahold of that book, Carl. I don’t want to demand it and threaten him with Obstruction of Justice but…”


“We can’t! Not only will we come off looking like bullies to a guy that has already been abused in unbelievable, untold ways, but we’ll be fucking with one of the most powerful families in the U.S. Justin and his husband, Brian, have a lot of contacts that can make life… difficult for us.”


“And?”


“With Russo’s arrest, and based on what Bethany Taylor imparted to me when she told me to get the warrant to Mathers, the Taylor-Kinneys said that they wouldn’t mention the others mixed up in this mess. What does that tell you?”


Stuckey thought about it for a moment, his eyes widening as he came to the same conclusion Carlton had just a few hours before they arrived at the Penthouse on Lenox. “This thing is so much bigger than the one man we know of, or the ones being looked into who are wrongly incarcerated. Fuck! What are we going to do?”


“Our jobs. We’re going to collect the evidence and no matter what turns up, we’re going to pursue the truth as we always have. If by some chance our investigation reveals some of the other players in this mess, then we pursue those leads as well, without involving the victim unduly.”


“We can’t ask him if we’re on the right track?”


“Sure we can, and we will. But this way, he’s not betraying his word; just answering our questions. Melanie also said to contact a detective by the name of Carl Horvath within Pittsburgh P.D. She said that he will have more information to give me and corroborate what she’s told me thus far. It seems that the James brothers acquired two accomplices in their quests to regain Justin Taylor: a Michael Novotny, who is in custody, and a woman by the name of Lindsay Peterson.”


“Ron Peterson’s daughter?”


“You know her?”


“Ah yes, and so do you. Remember Lynette Algers?”


“Yes. What about her?”


“She’s her sister.”


Carlton was stopped from responding by the commotion near the elevator, as the latest arrival was stopped by his subordinates. “Let her through,” he ordered before addressing the newest arrival. “Bethany, how lovely to see you. What are you doing here?”


The well-dressed blonde woman responded, “Forgive the intrusion, Carlton, but I have to see what Jennifer described about Justin for myself. I know that she and I don’t get along, and I’ve stayed away from my niece and nephew as a result, but I never stopped caring for them. Never! So if there is some truth to what she’s told me…”


His eyes softened as he looked at the clearly distraught woman, even though she looked as well put together as she always had. It was her eyes that gave her away. She was fearful of discovering the truth, but determined to know. He could respect that. “If you’re sure…”


“I am.”


He nodded. “Stuckey, has the place already been dusted for prints?”


“Yes, Carl, it has. I didn’t want to wait until you got here to start processing, especially in light of what is going to happen soon.”


“What? Am I missing something?”


“Justin Taylor-Kinney and his husband are going to give an exclusive this evening. It was announced during a press conference outside of their office in Pittsburgh. Leslie Lockhart is going to do it.”


“Well fuck me sideways! If she’s doing it…”


“Yeah, exactly. Everything being stated will be the truth and able to be backed up. It’s why I wanted to get this place processed before the interview happened. Once that goes over the airwaves, how much do you want to bet that Brandon, Connor, or both will be hightailing their slithering asses back here to get rid of all the evidence?”


“Outside of prints, what else has been done?”


“Photos of the place, including a large mural painted in the art studio upstairs.”


“Art studio?”


“Yes. It turns out that Justin Taylor-Kinney is an artist of some repute. Not only that, but thanks to his assignments, and using his career counselor at the Art Institute as his agent, it’s partially how Justin was able to amass his fortune even while being held captive.”


Bethany laughed. “That young man was always resourceful, which chapped my brother’s ass on more than one occasion.”


“Your brother?”


“His father, Craig Taylor. He’s the man responsible for Justin’s captivity with the James jackasses. At least that’s the story according to his ex-wife, Jennifer.”


“She knew about this?”


“She did, but there are mitigating circumstances of why she couldn’t come forward long before this. A lot of it has to do with the way the law is written in regards to married parents. If she would have complained to you guys about what was being done to her son, you all would have assumed her complicit in the entire episode. Meanwhile, she also had a young daughter to look out for at the time, who would have been taken away from her and put into foster care while she languished away in prison for trusting the father of her children not to be the asshole he most certainly has always been- even if she was blind to the fact. It’s why I didn’t like her. I thought she was just another airhead who Craig had managed to fool into believing he was a good man.”


“Apparently, you were right.”


She shook her head. “No. I was wrong, and as a result, I left her to fight my brother all on her own, while her son paid the ultimate price. I won’t make that mistake again.”


Carlton studied her while Stuckey asked, “What have you done?”


She smiled again, this time sardonically. “Nothing much, except have all of his records and electronics confiscated. I also had a trace put on his home phone. Guess who he called right after my guys cleared out.”


“Well who, woman?! Don’t leave my willy hard without just cause!”


Carlton winced but Bethany just laughed. “Stuckey, I don’t even know why your willy was mentioned, but maybe it will be time to finally address that later. In the meantime, I’ll tell you that Craig called Stockwell from his landline and was idiotic enough to leave a message.”


“Let’s get this scene done and then head back to my office. I take it that you have the calls from his landline being monitored directly from my office?”


“Yes. I didn’t want you to have to wait to have your evidence against him.”


“Why do you hate him so much?”


“Because the brother of the man I was engaged to ended up dead because of Craig and the James brothers.”


“And who was that man?”


“Jason Kemp.”


“That’s why Charles broke off the engagement? How did you find that out?” Stuckey asked in disbelief.


“I didn’t know at the time; just that Charles sunk into a deep depression. It wasn’t until Jennifer laid out all the facts for me, and then seeing the evidence that she forwarded to you, but also to me when I put two and two together. Prior to that, again like I’ve already said, Craig had everyone fooled. He was my father’s golden boy, marrying well while ruining my chances. But then again, I wouldn’t have wanted to marry his choice anyway. James Stockwell, then and now, is still a scumbag. But he is a scumbag who loves his children beyond what they could do for him; Craig didn’t.”


“If I’m hearing you right, you think that if he was involved in this… whatever it is, that he’s either not now or pulling away from the whole mess?” Stuckey asked.


“I don’t have to think about that. I know he would never condone something like this with his own children, even if they didn’t follow his edicts. He may have questionable morals in most things, but he puts his family first in all things.”


As they entered the apartment, the first thing that had them each surprised was the sheer size of the space. Each were aware that Jennifer and Melanie had told them that the James brothers had bought the other units and combined them, but none were prepared for the compartmentalized torture chamber which greeted them. There was the standard living area, which looked as normal as anyplace else. The television was the focal point and situated right over the fireplace with hundreds of dvds flanking each side. Upon further inspection, Commissioner Kelly gave the orders that all of the dvds be collected as evidence as well.


“What are they?” Stuckey asked.


“Video evidence of their victims, possibly more.”


“More?”


“You heard what Bethany said about her almost brother-in-law. I have to wonder if there is some truth behind it… or if perhaps one of the men on these videos knows exactly what happened to him.”


“Guys, I think you all should come and look at this,” Bethany called out to them from upstairs. They left the CSIs downstairs to collect and process the videoes and to search around for other evidence that they may have missed, just as they would have the dvds. Arriving on the landing and entering the room determined to be Justin’s former studio, they found Bethany facing opposite the wall of windows. “Beautiful work, isn’t it? The subject matter leaves a lot to be desired, but then my nephew always drew or painted what was deep within his heart.”


Contract Terminated! Fuck you, both!” Stuckey read aloud. “Any idea what he meant by that?”


She looked at her watch. “I suppose we should leave this cursed place; the interview should be starting within the next hour.”


Moving downstairs, Carlton and Stuckey were advised to enter the Master bedroom and en suite. “My God…” Bethany gasped.


“Exactly! Gather up everything in here… toys, garbage, EVERYTHING! I want the fucking bedding and even the fucking mattress downtown posthaste for processing!”


“But sir, the bed alone is going to take hours to disassemble, let alone process,” one of the CSIs complained.


“And yet, while you’re standing here bumping your gums and complaining about time constraints, you could have already had two fucking screws loose! I won’t say what it is I want AGAIN!”


“Come on, Donofrio. We already know this is too important to fuck around with,” CSI Jones told him. “Commissioner, we’ll process the bed first so that it can be on its way immediately. But everything else that hasn’t been collected will have to come secondary. Is that acceptable?”


“That’s fine. And another thing, where are Helms and Abrams?”


“On their way, Sir. It was their day off and they had to be called in. Abrams should be just about here as he was in Ossining, but Helms was out at Montauk Point.”


Carlton laughed. “Well, I suspect that he’ll be in a very pissy mood when he finally arrives. Process this mess and get it to headquarters ASAP. Remember to keep this all quiet… that goes for all of you. I’ll know if even one of you breathes out of rhythm about this, and there will be hell to pay. Got me?”


“Loud and clear, Commissioner. And should one of the residents arrive before we’re finished?”


“That shouldn’t be a problem, now should it? I expect you all to be done here within the hour, or at the latest an hour and ten minutes. Don’t be late. As for the misters James, I suspect that they will try to make a stop in Pittsburgh along the way, if they haven’t already.”


“You’re sure about that?” Bethany asked.


“Yes, I am. Call it a gut feeling, but it’s something that Melanie Marcus said to me. She said that the woman with them had key information about the loft building Justin escaped to.”


“And?”


“Whomever they send, or even if they are dumb enough to go themselves, will be met with a surprise if they try to enter. I need to call Horvath. It’s time for his own caged bird to start singing.”


*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*


Pittsburgh PITAs….


“Novotny, you have a visitor,” the guard called.


Michael lit up like a Christmas tree. He’d finally been allowed out of solitary confinement, although no one told him why. But it was no matter. Strangely, having no one to talk to had been a relief of sorts. The fact that his face was just starting to heal up from the bruises he’d incurred the last time he’d spoken the truth was an added bonus. Hopefully, his visitor would be the new attorney he’d requested, just before he was placed in the dungeon beneath the jail, supposedly for his own safety.


Being led by a long chain attached to his handcuffs, Michael smugly looked at many of his persecutors. As far as he was concerned, he was better than they were, since he actually had someone to coming to visit him. So it was with a strange mix of elation and disappointment that he greeted his visitor.


“Lindsay, what the hell are you doing here, and where have you been?”


“Michael, you’re looking… well.”


“Yeah, well I’d be much better if I was getting out of here.”


Lindsay chuckled. “Oh Michael, I don’t foresee that happening anytime soon. According to our mutual friends, you were paid to do a job that you have yet to complete.”


“Connor and Brandon set me up!”


“Hardly. They just used your ignorance and desperation against you. I mean, accepting the watch without having them put their intentions in writing or even recording the conversation on your phone… well that was dumb, Michael... even for you.”


“Well according to the press conference a little while ago, you’re not in a much better position with them than I am,” Michael said sarcastically, disregarding her deliberate insult. “I suppose that’s why you’re here, huh? Hiding out in the one place they wouldn’t look for you?” He took great pleasure in watching her nostrils flare and the way she straightened up. Yeah, bitch. You’re not the only one who can trade barbs that hit their mark, Cuntzilla!


“You’re wrong, but whatever. I just wanted to come in and tell you that once again, I will succeed where you’ve failed. Brian will be mine by the end of the week.”


“And how do you figure that? If I’m not mistaken, just as he has a restraining order against me, he has one against you.”


Lindsay laughed. “I have one little piece of leverage against you, Dumbo, and that’s my son. Gus will want to see me.”


“HA! Not if he has any sense, he won’t! Besides, you think that Brian would get a restraining order for him, but not for his son? And yet, they call me delusional?” Michael laughed.


Lindsay narrowed her eyes at him. “We’ll see just who is full of false hopes and dreams, Dummy. But first, I came to warn you…”


“Warn me? What for? What exactly do you think you can do to me?”


“Not me. I wouldn’t want to fuck you metaphorically, even using someone else’s dick. But well, Connor and Brandon won’t take too kindly to you not sticking to your original story. I mean, I know you confuse facts to suit yourself, and I’ve warned them of your penchant for twisting the truth, such as it is. But you see, for some reason they still discount you. I don’t, especially if it means your backstabbing little ass gets out of trouble. So consider your stay here as payment for all the times you were able to worm yourself out of trouble using whining and tears, and let the sleeping dogs lie. It might be the only way you’ll be able to stay alive here.”


“And what will you be doing?”


“Securing my spot as Mrs. Brian Kinney, of course… the ONLY Mrs. Brian Kinney, not some blond fucking slut with a hyphenated last name.”


“Pot meet kettle much, Lindsay?”


“What do you mean by that?”


Michael snickered. “I wonder if Mel knows about your twenty-four hour dick decathlons.”


“I…”


“Have no idea what I’m talking about? Well let’s see… there was Sam Auerbach, and Gardner Vance, but I do believe the most prominent was the one your sister was fucking. Now let’s see if I can remember his name… I know it’s been bandied about in here lately… ah, yes! Senator Alex Johnson, that’s it! He’s the one who beat your sister’s ass based on some false information you’d given him.”


“Michael…”


“Save it, Lindsay. Well, except to say FUCK YOU, and yes, with someone else’s dick. since I’m quite sure you have one. Get used to the taste of salty balls, Lindsay, since I have no doubt you’ll be blowing a guard every hour, once you’re caught violating the restraining orders I’m sure have been filed against you. Brandon wouldn’t want a crack at you, but Connor… well I’m sure if he hasn’t already done your loose goose, it might be the only thing you have which might save you. Otherwise, he might just chalk it up to a lost cause, the way Mel and the others already have. Brian sure as hell didn’t want seconds, and it looks like he still doesn’t, Crab Cunt. Have a nice day! Guard, I’m ready to go back now!”


Michael laughed as he left the visitation room, thinking that it was about time he’d gotten the last word with her. It had been a long time coming!


*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Mercury in Retrograde….


Fucking hell! Where is he?! Brandon thought for the umpteenth time since arriving at the loft. The place was crawling with cops and reporters, but there was no sign of Justin. Alighting from the plane, he had managed to sneak out of the airport undetected. It helped that he’d booked the flight under his late father’s name- an alias he’d used often when travelling, especially when he didn’t want to be accosted by avid admirers. Coming to the Tremont property had been his first order of business, while he’d left Connor to do damage control his way. Brandon had decided that it was time to take Justin firmly in hand, and the only way to do that was to catch him and the brunet unawares, only it hadn’t worked that way as of yet. Where the fuck is he?!


“He’s not here…”


“Who is that? Show yourself!” Brandon demanded. As a shorter brunet entered the light of the dim hallway, Brandon eyed the man. “Who are you?”


“Someone who has been waiting for Justin to arrive here for a few days. I thought by now he’d been done playing house with Brian and return here.”


“Why? Who is Justin to you?” Brandon snarled. The guy looked familiar but he couldn’t figure out why.


“My name is Ethan Gold, and you’re Brandon James. I would say that it’s nice to meet you, but since we’re both after the same man, albeit for different reasons, I will say that you’d better leave now.”


Brandon snickered at the temerity of the younger man. “And what makes you think that you have any power to make me do that? Justin belongs to me.”


“No, he doesn’t, otherwise you would have him still. I would venture to say that he now belongs to Brian, but I have a way to get him out from under that whore.”


“Oh really?” Brandon purred.


“Yes. You see, Brian and I have a shared history. I owe him a turn to take the man he loves from him, same as he did with me.”


“Wait! I thought you said you wanted Justin.”


“Oh, I do. I mean, I’m sure you’ve seen his ass; it just begs to be fucked. But more importantly, I want what Justin has.”


“And that is?”


“A hefty bank account, and power.”


“Whatever drugs you took, you need to sue the person giving them to you, for enhancing your delusions. Justin has no power to speak of… not without that bastard Kinney protecting him.”


“You sure you didn’t take any of my drugs?” Ethan asked, sneeringly. “The one thing I’m guessing you never really looked into was Justin’s familial background. To say that he is well-connected is an understatement.”


“And what do you know about it?”


“Only rumor and innuendo, but the Mayor’s press advisor just happens to be his aunt. And from what I understand, she’s pretty tight with Judge Mathers and the Police Commissioner.”


“And?” Brandon said, clearly losing patience with the little ignorant man before him.


“Well, unless they have moved, they are all based in New York City. Isn’t that where you kept Justin captive? Also his mother is an Alwin. She’s the heiress daughter of Winston Alwin as well as a Real Estate mogul in her own right. Can you imagine what will happen if she’s been in touch with her former sister-in-law, who incidentally can’t stand her brother? I remember reading somewhere that she was getting married to a wealthy contractor’s brother… I believe his last name was Kemp or something like that.”


Brandon feigned boredom, even though he was feeling anything but. “Where did you get your information?”


“Sun Tzu always said to know your enemy; I prefer to think of it as knowing who I need to run over to achieve my aims.”


“And the first person you’re thinking to run over is me?”


“Well originally it was Brian Kinney, but you’ll do.”


Brandon laughed. “And just how do you think to do that?” he asked, advancing toward the insignificant little prick.


“Hold it right there!” A new voice entered the conversation.


“Who the fuck are you? This is private property!” Ethan demanded.


“Indeed it is, and you’re both trespassing. Officer Austin, will you please arrest Mr. Gold and Officer Blackman, I’ll leave you to take care of Mr. Brandon James. Make sure to Mirandize them. They won’t be getting off on a technicality on my watch!”


“Again, who the fuck are you?! I need to know so that my lawyer knows who to sue for wrongful detainment,” Brandon sneered.


“Detective Carl Maurice Horvath, and I find that specific terminology especially funny coming from you, Mr. James. Justin was afraid, and smart enough to have the whole place wired with audio and video. Furthermore, he’s already given his express permission to use both to prosecute any unwanted visitors. I’ll see you both at the station,” he said as his cell phone rang. “Yes, Commissioner Kelly. We have Brandon James. As soon as he is processed, I’ll let you know. Oh you are? I’ll be sure to tell him.” He hung up.


“Well?” Brandon asked, still fighting Officer Blackman.


“Be sure to add resisting arrest to your write-up, Star. In the meantime, Commissioner Kelly asked me to inform you, Mr. James, that your penthouse on Lenox Avenue is currently being processed. And it should be completed by the time he arrives here in glorious Pittsburgh.” Carl laughed as he exited the building. “Now, smile pretty for the cameras, you two.”  


*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*


Phoenix Rising...


Leslie walked into the posh offices of Kinnetik Enterprises. It was nothing like she had imagined it would be, especially on a Monday afternoon. But then, she’d heard that the office was closed for the day because of the news leaking out just this morning. It felt like a lifetime ago, instead of mere hours since the metaphorical bomb dropped to ruin the young man’s day.


“May I help you?” the young woman behind the reception asked.


“Yes. My name is Leslie Lockhart, and this is my assistant, Sandra. Also accompanying me are Calvin, my videographer and my editor-in-chief Wayne Boatright. I believe your employers are expecting us.”


“Sure. Let me just call Cynthia and she can show you the way.”


“Thank you. Calvin, please get take some pictures of the artwork. Did Mr. Taylor do these?”


“Yes, Justin is amazing. It’s no wonder why he is the art director as well as part-owner.”


Part-owner? I was given to understand that Brian Kinney was the sole proprietor of Kinnetik Enterprises.”


“There’s a lot that isn’t public knowledge, but that isn’t a secret, Ms. Lockhart. However, it is my employers’ story to tell. I’m only Justin’s personal assistant, while Cynthia is Brian’s and also part owner,” Cassandra answered.


“How does that work exactly?”


“We’ve formed a conglomerate,” Cynthia answered as she came down the hall. “It’s a pleasure to meet you, Ms. Lockhart. Sorry for the short notice but with everything going on…”


“No worries. I’m just happy that Justin is willing to talk to me. I know that this can’t be easy for him.”


“Not for him nor Brian. A word of advice, though. There are some things that they will not be able to talk about since there is definitely going to be some litigation involved. Try not to push either of them. Their attorneys are present and have advised what can be answered and what can’t. You’ll find Brian and Justin very honest and open, but if you dig too far they will push back.”


“Duly noted. Is there anything specific that is off limits?”


“Yes. The mention of their son’s name. Unfortunately, the people out to hurt them are aware of his young son’s presence. However, it is Brian and Justin’s hope to minimize exposure of him, especially while he's at school. Also, any other information you have on the other people involved in connection with the James Brothers, Lindsay Peterson, Michael Novotny, and a man by the name of Ethan Gold. Although they are the most notable names within this situation, there is very little, with the exception of the facts already out there, that they can say. It is their goal to be honest about their stress and struggles, but not to the extent that they jeopardize any impending cases.”


“Thank you, Ms. Moore, for the clarification. I think we are ready.”


“Oh, one more thing… they are joined by a few more people, one of which is incredibly important to this case as well. Seven Collins has a unique perspective on Justin’s situation.”


“Oh?”


“Yes, but I’ll let him tell you in his own words why. As for the others, Justin’s mother and sister are present, as well as Marlon Abrams, of Centurion Studios, and Leo Brown, of Brown Athletics. They each consider Brian and Justin their grandchildren, no matter the business relationships they share. You would do well to remember that.”


“Out of curiosity, why choose me? With all their connections- both old and new- I’m sure that there was someone else they could have gone with.”


“That’s true, but you see, Brian and Justin respect your work and trust you to report the truth of their words. For Brian’s part, he felt you received a raw deal after the whole mess with Senator Johnson. The fact that it was Lynette Algers, who was the senator’s mistress, holds some personal weight with Brian.”


“Why?”


“Because she’s technically his son’s aunt. And although Brian is not close to that family, nor does he like them very much, if at all, he still takes care of those he considers family. Lindsay, in all her avariciousness, had forgotten that.”


Walking into the spacious office, Leslie and her crew were once again surprised by the atmosphere. Regardless of the situation, the occupants of the office moved about and spoke with an easy familiarity. There was no doubt that this was Brian and Justin Taylor-Kinneys’ inner circle… their family. She moved over to the sitting area, hand extended.


“Misters Taylor-Kinney, it’s a pleasure to meet you both.”


Brian spoke first. “Likewise, Ms. Lockhart, but if it’s all the same to you, and my husband agrees, you may call us simply Brian and Justin. As you can see, we rarely stand on formality.”


“Absolutely, and you may call me Leslie. I understand that I have you to thank for this opportunity.”


“It’s true, you do. But regardless of that, I know that you are one who believes in reporting the truth without filter. It’s why I suggested you.”


“Well thanks. Cynthia has already told me some of the things off limits. Is there anything else you would like to add?”


“Not that I can think of. You, Justin? Seven?”


Leslie gasped aloud as she looked upon the two blond men. They both smiled at her. “Oh my God, are you two brothers?”


“No, although we’ve recently been told that we could be,” Justin answered, extending his hand and introducing himself. “Seven and I just met this morning, but have a lot in common.”


“I appreciate you doing this, Justin.”


“I have to, for so many reasons. As for what’s off-limits, I’m sure that Mel and Donovan will curb anything that they think will jeopardize any impending litigation. If there is anything I don’t want to answer, I won’t. Same goes for Brian and Seven. Although we want to be honest with the public, there are just some things that they don’t need to know.”


“Understood. Is setting up here okay, or do you want to move somewhere else like the conference room?”


“No, here is fine. My own office is much too small, so my size-queen husband’s will have to do.” Justin smiled at Brian, who raised his coffee cup in acknowledgment. “We could give you a small tour to round out the segment afterwards, if you’d like.”


“That would be lovely. I must say that I am incredibly impressed with the artwork hanging within the lobby and this office.”


“Thanks. I appreciate it. Long before Brian knew I’d painted them, he’d bought them.”


He offered her a seat as he snuggled into Brian’s side on the long sofa. Seven sat on Justin’s right between him and Melanie, while Donovan sat to Brian’s left. Jennifer and Molly, along with William, Leo, Marlon, Ted, and Cynthia used high-back chairs and seated themselves behind the sofa. To any onlooker, it would look like a family portrait, but Leslie knew instinctively that they were closing ranks. She couldn’t help but admire how they protected each other.


After making sure the lighting was correct and the camera was rolling, Leslie began her questions. “So Justin, before we rolled the camera, you said that long before Brian knew you’d painted these magnificent works of art, he’d bought them. Is that how you met?”


“Yes and no. I’ve been working freelance for Kinnetik for a number of years. In fact, I began when it was still Kennedy and Collins, years before Brian merged his business with theirs and ultimately bought the company.”


“Yet you are co-owner of the conglomerate known as Kinnetik Corporation. How did that happen?”


“In a number of ways. I’d inherited a small fortune which I used to start my freelance business, then flipped part the profits back into the business, while my mother, sister, and best friend invested the remainder of the funds for me in various interests. By the time I arrived in Pittsburgh, I had taken a small fortune and made it a much larger one.”


“So let me ask… we’ve all seen the tape released this morning. Is there any truth to what was on it?”


“Unfortunately, yes there is, except the part where it was implied that I willingly played the whore to Brandon and Connor James. The man spouting that nonsense was given the wrong facts. Sadly, he believed them.”


“I guess what everyone wants to know is how you came to be in such a situation in the first place.”


“The basic answer would be that a man I trusted with my life drugged me and had me essentially kidnapped to keep his company afloat. But nothing is ever basic, so here is the unadulterated truth. I arrived at my biological father’s office after school one day a little over five years ago. That, in and of itself, was not unusual, as I was being groomed to take over his business one day. The problem began when I had come out some months before. If you were to ask anyone about Craig Taylor, they would tell you that he was an upstanding man and the most tolerant man on the planet. And while that may have been true for anyone else, it was not true in terms of his gay son. So, making a deal with the James brothers, who have a loan investment company beyond their Hollywood aspirations, I was given to them as part of the deal.”


“Payment?”


“Yes, Leslie. My father had found a way, short of killing me, to do away with the supposed blight on his manhood. The only stipulation to the contract, beyond the monetary benefit to the company formerly known as Taylor Electronics, was that I was still able to complete my studies at the Art institute of New York, which is how I met my agent and begin working towards the day I would finally be free of them.”


“So all of the money you made was while you were in captivity?”


“Yes. It was the one thing- the one hope- that kept my spirit strong, even as my body was abused mercilessly and repeatedly under their care.”


“Mrs. Taylor, how come you weren’t aware of this? I mean, you were still married to Craig Taylor at the time, were you not?”


“Sadly, I was. However, originally I was told that Justin had gotten early admission to Dartmouth College, which I knew he had applied for, even though he was still debating about attending until he heard back from the Art Institute. It was Justin’s best friend, Daphne, who he’d contacted at his first opportunity, which was almost a year after the abduction happened. It was then that Justin told her all the things I needed to know to get free of Craig, but I still couldn’t make a move to get Justin out from under Brandon and Connor James. Sadly, the way the law is set up, I would have been placed under arrest as an accessory to kidnapping and human trafficking- for that’s what this boils down to- and my daughter would have been placed in foster care.”


Leslie nodded, acknowledging the truth of her words. “So Justin, you basically had no choice but to stay there?”


“The only freedom- and even that came with a price- was within the art studio of my gilded cage. The fact that I was an art major worked to my advantage because of the paint fumes and the smell of turpentine, both of which Connor and Brandon couldn’t stand and punished me for. But since it was part of the contract, they honored that portion anyway.”


“Tell me what life was like for you there? And where does Seven fit into this tale?”


“I was his predecessor. Because of my escape, they went after and acquired Justin,” Seven answered. “Life with them was… unbearable, is simply too good a word. They would much rather you leave in a body bag- and make no mistake, some did- but if you did manage to escape, without a plan you would be dead, or considered dead anyway.”


“And what is it that you do?”


“I work as an independent contractor. I own my own business, but because of my history with Connor and Brandon James, work is limited. Others that I know of are either dead or in jail within the Pittsburgh judicial system.”


“Ah, that’s part of an ongoing investigation, but the judge who was helping the James brothers has since been arrested and is having all of his records reviewed,” Mel interjected. “We don’t want to compromise the integrity of those cases. However, what Seven has said thus far is a matter of public record.”


“Thank you for clarification, Ms. Marcus. So Seven, you have firsthand knowledge of what Justin went though?”


“I do. Suffice it to say that although there was some BDSM methods used, none of its tenets were followed.”


“And what are these tenets you speak of?”


Justin cleared his throat. “Within the BDSM community, the motto is Safe, Sane and Consensual. None of that is what happened within Brandon and Connor’s house of horrors. Instead it was all about control and torture… not punishment, but torture. No matter what the perceived infraction was, your pain and their gratification was at the end of it.”


“How were you each able to keep sane under such circumstances? Why would they want to do this thing to anyone?”


Brian gently squeezed Justin’s hand, while the younger man nodded for him to take the lead. “Although, there is evidence to support what I’m about to say, I will inject my own thoughts here. I have been around the block a time or six-hundred, Leslie, and I can tell you a few things about the type of men Connor and Brandon James are. First and foremost, they are bullies. Anyone or anything perceived to be weaker than they are, must be dominated and controlled. My own father was such an abusive man, so I know what I am talking about. The only thing they really discounted in their dealings with us, people who seemed weak, was our indomitable spirits. Seven and Justin angered them because they couldn’t be broken, much like what happened with my old man. It’s what made the torture that much more severe.

 

"Secondly, self-loathing is a son of a bitch to deal with. Brandon is out and doesn’t gives a damn who knows, but Connor… well, he’s been outed NOW! Justin, and I suspect Seven as well, performed a service for him that he just had to have, but hated that he needed it. So while they fulfilled his need, Brandon either stood by or participated during the acts and then egged Connor on when it was time to punish them for doing what he’d asked for in the first place. All-in-all, any excuse or reason to engage in the unlawful, sadistic, heinous crimes those two committed, was rational in their psychopathic minds.

 

"And number three, they hate to lose, which is why they are hellbent on reclaiming the two who got away. It would have been okay if they left their care dead, or ended up in jail, but to work and become a success, both while they were in their ‘care’ and away from it, well that’s not to be borne! It doesn’t help when the idiots helping them, are also jealous and sociopathically insane as well,” Brian finishes.


“Speaking of which, the man on the video loudly making accusations is your best friend, is it not, Brian?”


Was. Michael Novotny has not been considered my best friend since even before I left Pittsburgh the first time. If the truth be told, he was one of the major reasons I’d left in the first place.”


“And the second?”


“My son’s mother, who I had also considered my best friend at the time, is the other reason. Michael Novotny and Lindsay Peterson both have a warped sense of friendship, that I no longer wanted or needed in my life. Both can make it seem like they really care when in reality the only people they care about are themselves. Michael is in jail right now, but Lindsay is still around doing dirt. In fact, as Justin stated earlier, she’s the reason that video was released.”


“I thought a colleague of yours, a William Wainwright, that released the video?”


“That’s not true, since I happen to be William Wainwright. It’s true that I originally recorded the episode in the Diner, but after speaking with Justin about it here within the office, I deleted it and decided to let Justin’s secret remain just that… a secret.”


“Well if not you, then who did it?”


“Someone with an axe to grind against Brian, and who wants Justin for himself. His name is Ethan Gold, a musician who Justin and I went to the Institute with some years ago. Unlike Justin and me, he hasn’t been able to reach the amount of success we have.”


“Furthermore, he is my ex-lover’s partner. Jonas is deceased, but Ethan has been sniffing around me for money he claims that Jonas promised him, which I am under no obligation to pay. He also needs a new meal-ticket, in which he thinks Justin would be the ideal candidate for him. There isn't a soul walking who has a more inflated ego with mediocre attributes that you would ever meet! Anyway, the day that video was recorded, both Justin and I tried to reason with the recalcitrant man, but obviously to no avail. Using William’s name and hacking his email, Ethan, under the advisement of Lindsay Peterson, released that video nationwide this morning. The telecommunications company he uses confirmed it.”


“If what you say is true, Brian, why go to such lengths?”

 

“For the same reason Brandon and Connor keep trying… they all want what they can’t have. Lindsay and Michael cannot have me; Brandon, Connor, nor Ethan can have Justin. Jealousy makes strange bedfellows, and none are more dangerous or strange than the Fucked-Up Five!”