- Text Size +

 

 

CHAPTER 26: THE BEGINNING OF THE END


PITTSBURGH


ALLEGHENY EMERGENCY


“Oh my God! What’s happening?!” Debbie made to move towards the woman lying on the gurney.


“Red, come back here! You have to let them do their jobs, or she’s not going to make it,” Carl told her, dragging the strong-willed redhead back into his arms. Turning her towards him, he allowed her to beat and cry against his shoulder. “I know, Red, but remember… Leda Tarlo is strong, and has a whole lot to live for. She’ll pull through this.”


“She’s crashing!” the EMT yelled as they raced Leda into the back for the trauma team to take over.


“I hope so, Carl,” Deb wailed piteously, holding on even tighter as the steady scream of a flatline and the electrified whizz of the defibrillator sounded in the near distance.


57th PRECINCT


“Good evening. I’m looking for Detective Horvath. I believe he’s expecting me,” Commissioner Kelly informed the Desk Sergeant, who instead of working was busily paying attention to the screen.


“Uh, he ain’t in right now, but if you’ll wait over there…”


“No.”


“No?” the Desk Sergeant finally looked up from the television, ready to make his will known to the idiot interrupting him. He had been waiting all day for this particular interview, especially since he’d seen one of his employers ushered into the building earlier that day. Although he was watching the immediate rerun of the Xpose piece, he was still awaiting the go-ahead to give follow-up orders to Officers Hatchet and Kilgrave in order to detain Justin Taylor-Kinney on their behalf. He’d already been instructed where to take the little bigmouth when they got him, which was directly onto the chartered private jet heading to L.A., but had not yet been informed when to make the move on the blond.


“Just what I said, Sergeant O’Malley,” Carlton said, reading the nametag on the officer. “And since he isn’t here personally, I believe he would have left someone in charge. So I want to see that person NOW!”


“I think you’d better get on that task immediately, don’t you?” The new voice joined the contretemps, eyes narrowed and staring at the insubordinate desk sergeant.


“Senator Baxter?” O’Malley gasped.


“In the flesh. And now that we’ve established just who I am, go do what you’ve been instructed. IMMEDIATELY. I’m not willing to repeat myself,” Diane stated. Nothing about the threat she issued could be implied within her tone of voice. Turning to her shocked companion, she smiled. “Bethany called and said that you were on your way. I thought I should meet you here.”


“It’s nice to see you again, Diane, even if not for these circumstances.”


“Likewise, Carlton. I understand that there has been an arrest this afternoon?”


“Two, actually. One of course was expected, but the other was an added bonus.”


“Ah, the bonus I take it is that idiotic violinist, who Justin mentioned earlier?”


“One and the same. I caught some of the interview while airborne. It turns out that the idiot is not only going to be detained for the B & E of Justin Taylor-Kinney’s residence on Tremont, but for Interstate identity theft and fraud charges. Ethan Gold has been a very busy boy.”


“And all in his quest to take what doesn’t belong to him,” Diane sighed. “It seems to be a lot of that going around lately.”


Carlton looked at her more closely, then. Taking a gamble, he asked, “What can you tell me about this case?”


“Plenty, but not within these halls. Just based on what I’ve seen within the last few moments, I’m pretty sure that there are some here not-quite-so-loyal to upholding the law. But I will tell you that I had a very interesting phone call a little while ago from someone who was in a similar situation to this one. She is on her way to New York as we speak. I have Bethany waiting for her.”


“Is that wise? I mean, if she’s there, then…”


“Unfortunately, her sister hasn’t given her the option. She’s stolen some precious cargo from the woman Melanie Marcus was seeing. Apparently, Lindsay Peterson followed Leda Tarlo in a rental car, waited for her to pick Gus up, and then made her move. It’s why Carl Horvath isn’t here right now. He’s at the hospital with Ms. Tarlo. Melanie is like a daughter to him and his wife.”


“What are you willing to bet that the reason it’s taking O’Malley so long to return with Horvath’s representative is that he’s on the phone to someone connected to this case?” Carlton asked, as he looked at phone on the desk. Picking up his cellphone and hitting record, he picked up the desk phone, then pressed the lit up line. Holding his finger to his lips, he listened in…


“I’m telling you, Connor, she’s here and in the company of some fucking Commissioner or something. We didn’t sign on for this man.”


“I’ve already wired you half a million each to obtain Justin by any means necessary. Once he’s back where he belongs, and once Brandon is freed, you’ll get the rest of the money. Now I want Justin Taylor back in my bed by nightfall, my time, so GET MY FUCKING PROPERTY BACK NOW!!” Connor yelled into the receiver before hanging up.


“So I guess that clears up any confusion, huh?” Diane asked, rhetorically.


“It does, but I have a feeling that’s only the tip of the iceberg, and it’s what’s underneath the water that’s going to be most detrimental to their sinking ship.”


“Ah, the Titanic reference.”


“Indeed.”


“So what should we do with the stooges in the meantime?”


“I don’t exactly know what we can do, since this isn’t my jurisdiction.”


Diane smiled wide, “No, but it is mine.” Picking up her phone, she dialed the familiar number. “Hello, Mayor Marvin Deekins, Diane Baxter calling. Long time, no hear, but that’s not exactly the reason I’m calling at the moment. I’m actually standing here at the 57th Precinct in the company of Commissioner Carlton Kelly of NYPD, and we have just stumbled upon a situation; one that could hold the good officers of Pittsburgh under the wrong kind of microscope if certain vermin aren’t stomped out immediately...”



LOS ANGELES


“INCOMPETENCE!!! FUCKING INCOMPETENCE!” Conner yells into the air of the office where he’s just hung up the phone from his contacts within the Pittsburgh Police Department. His frustration was compounded by the fact that he still can’t talk to his brother, nor can he find that she-bitch, Lindsay Peterson.


“So what do you want me to do now, Mr. James?” William Frost asks warily, as he sits within the office. He’d always thought that the James brothers were a bit unpalatable in the time he’d known them. But as long as the money was pouring in from them, he didn’t dwell too much on their proclivities. However, now that he’s found out the truth by way of the news conferences advising the public of the true nature of their financial planning business… well although there was no known evidence which had been made public as of yet, he still could believe every single word those young men spoke was the unadulterated truth. Just based on the conversation Connor James had with the unknown man on the phone, he knew beyond a shadow of a doubt that Connor and Brandon were going down HARD, and he needed to disassociate with them posthaste. Unfortunately, he wasn’t exactly sure how to do that.


“I need you to check the funds in my offshore account, and then put a call into James Stockwell. I need to get somewhere to regroup before I plan my next move, since I can’t rely on anyone else to retrieve my property in a timely matter.”


“Oh? Where are you planning on going?” Frost asked.


“I don’t know yet, but somewhere without extradition contracts with the United States. Stockwell has a plane which I want to borrow posthaste, but first, I need to get Justin Taylor back where he belongs.”


Frost sighed, before speaking the words he was sure Connor wouldn’t want to hear. “Well, as your attorney, I have to tell you that he already IS where he BELONGS. He’s with his husband.”


“HE’S NOT THAT FUCKING MAN’S HUSBAND! HE’S MY PROPERTY!”


“And you apparently are unhinged to remain believing so!” Frost yelled back. “Connor, my advice- my legal advice- is to forget Justin Taylor. You have so much more to worry about at this moment. Are you aware that the Mayor of NYC, along with certain other officials, ordered your penthouse searched?”


“What? Can they do that without my knowledge and permission?”


“Sure they can if they have probable cause, and they do. Brandon being arrested at the building where Justin Taylor-KINNEY resides didn’t help your cases at all, but gave credence to all his claims. It also is now a matter of public record that Judge Russo was in your pocket, which means ALL of his cases are being looked into. So again, you have more to worry about than one young man who escaped your prison and made a life for himself.”


Connor seemed to consider what his attorney was saying. The odds that he could snatch Justin were next to nil at the moment, but he had to bring him back under his subjugation, and quickly. It wasn’t just a matter of teaching Justin what happens when he disobeys him, or the fact that he’d let another man possess what rightfully belonged to him and Brandon. It was mostly about what Justin was in possession of, which was one of the only things he’d kept from his attorney over the years. Had Frost known, he would have been bound by law to report him and Brandon, since they were talking about human trafficking both in the U.S. and abroad. Stalling for time, Connor decided to finally check the flashing light on his cell phone indicating he had messages.


“Con, I’m at Precinct 57 in Pittsburgh. Lindsay was right about the various ways to get in and out of the building undetected, but apparently, she didn’t know that the little fucker had his entire building wired with a silent alarm system that records video and audio. So the police arrived just minutes after I got in. There was some other little jackass here too, named Ethan Gold. I don’t know his connection to Justin, but he seems sure that Justin was making plans to be with him as soon as he finished playing house with Kinney. So maybe that’s something you should look into. In the meantime, send Henderson over here asap to get me out of here, and then you should get over to the Kinnetik building. I’m pretty sure that fucker and his fucktoy are hiding out there.”


Next call:


“Connor, it’s Lindsay. I’ve gone to back to Pittsburgh to take care of some personal business, and to collect the ONLY real bargaining chip you will have in regaining Justin’s person. Meet me in New York as soon as possible. My son, Gus, will be with me.”


Smiling his first real smile since the news of his and Brandon’s connection to Justin Taylor broke this morning, he looks at his attorney sitting silently, toying with his phone. “Frost, book me a flight to New York using your credit card.”


“Connor…”


“Just do it! I have a hot date with a blonde lady and a little boy in order to get MY BLOND back.”


“You do realize that what Lindsay Peterson is doing would be considered kidnapping, right?”


“Who the fuck cares?! Besides, the little boy is her son; she has the right to retrieve him by any means necessary. If he becomes too much of a problem, I’m sure we can find something else to keep him occupied until Justin comes to his senses and remembers his place.”


“I think you’ll find that nothing is as cut and dry as you believe when dealing with a six year old, Connor.”


“Six?”


“Yes, six. His birthday is today. And I doubt that he will be very happy going with a woman who barely paid any attention to him, even if he’s bound to her by way of DNA. Children often have a sixth-sense about people. If what I’ve read about his father is any indication, Gus Taylor-Kinney has a bullshit detector second to none. Bending him to your will won’t be as easy as you and Lindsay are obviously making it out to be.”


“I figured as much, which is why I’ve never wanted children of my own. I really can’t stand the little snot-nose bastards, but if Lindsay can ensure that hers behaves himself, than it shouldn’t be too hard to be nice to the son of Brian Kinney until Justin gets his ass back into my hands, WHERE HE DAMN FUCKING WELL BELONGS. After I fuck and beat him to within an inch of his life for his disobedience, then I’ll return the child unharmed to Kinney. In the meantime, I need you to draw up a new set of ownership papers, voiding out anything Justin signed before the date of my contract with Taylor Electronics was finished. Technically, he wasn’t allowed to sign anything since his father signed over his power of attorney to me in exchange for my money.”


“Connor, I strongly advise you to go to the authorities and report this Lindsay Peterson for what she’s going to do instead of joining in her craziness. Not doing so is going to land you in even more trouble than we’re trying to get you out of at the moment!”


“And I strongly suggest you do what I’ve PAID you to do!” Connor yells, losing what was remaining of his patience. “If I can get my hands on Justin, not only will he belong to me again, but so will all of his money, and property, but most importantly the journal he stole from Brandon and I will be back in my hands where it belongs.”


“What journal?”


“Business contacts,” Connor said quickly, realizing that he was right never to tell Frost about the contents of it. Regardless of everything he’d done for them over the years, the man still had a conscience and was an unwanted moral compass for the James Brothers at the most inopportune times, like right now. “James Financial prides itself on maintaining our clients’ privacy, Frost, you know that.”


“I do. And even though I know that there is more to that statement, I’ll let it slide for now, Connor.”


“Good, so will you do what I’m asking now?”


“Yeah, I’ll get right on it,” Frost got up from the chair and headed out of the home office where he and Connor were having their meeting.


“Good. I’m going to pack a bag real quick. You can drop me off at the airport. In the meantime, call Stockwell and have his jet meet me at the terminal in New York.” Glancing at the hall clock, Connor made one more split decision as he ran up the stairs. “Hello, Craig, I have a job for you. I need you to meet Lindsay at the airport in New York since you’re already there. She’ll have a little package with her. It would behoove you to get to her and retrieve it since it will mean the difference between Justin remaining in control of Taylor Electronics, or me signing it back over to you once I have Justin under my control again. Get to it!” He hung up automatically, knowing that Craig Taylor would follow his instructions without hesitation. The man had always been as power-hungry as Connor, and as ruthless as Brandon when it came to getting his way. After all, that’s how Justin ended up in the James Brothers’ care in the first place. Smiling, and ascending the stairs, Connor turned back to Frost saying, “After I collect Lindsay’s son, and Justin, we’ll be airborne for a destination unknown. I’ll call you once we touch down.”


Frost nodded, and headed out the front door of the Hollywood Hills mansion in the direction of his chauffeured sedan. “Romanoff, I need you to do me a favor…”


FLIGHT TO NEW YORK


While everyone else was within the cabin of the corporate jet, Justin had locked himself and Brian within the large bedroom suite. Under any other circumstance, it could be assumed that the men were having a vigorous round of sex. In fact, both men wished at the moment it was that simple, but both realized that if it was to occur right then, both of them would come away more than a little bruised for the experience. For reasons both known and unknown to them, they understood that their collective anger could cause lasting damage to the other, so they opted for the next best thing. They decided they would provide comfort to the other by simply letting them be who they were in this moment. They were angry; they were scared; they were hurt; but the important thing was that they were together, and that they could express all their fears behind the closed door where there wouldn’t be any censure or recriminations, no preconceived notions of how they were supposed to behave, or think, or feel. It was just the two of them.


“We need to come up with a plan,” Brian thought aloud.


“True, but you and I both know that Lindsay probably contacted Connor by now. If she was in Pittsburgh, there’s no doubt that she knows about Brandon and Ethan’s arrest by now.”


“True,” Brian said, then huffed. “I swear, Blue, if she harmed one single hair on his head, I’m going to jail. And they better lock me underneath the fucker because God help her- all of them- if I make bail, beginning with Lindsay.”


“You think she would hurt Gus? I mean, he’s the only bargaining chip she has. She has to know that you would do anything for him.”


“That’s true, but I can’t afford to put anything past her. She’s not the woman I spent half my life knowing. I could never imagine that the Lindsay I met in college would go to the lengths she’s already gone to get her way. In this case, she very well may have hurt Gus, simply because he wouldn’t have let her off the hook for hitting Leda with her car. God, he probably even thinks she’s dead. As for this incarnation of Lindsay, all I know is that what she would demand for handing over Gus is the one thing I won’t give her. She’d order that I return you to Connor, then marry her, and I won’t do that. I won’t EVER do that, not even for Gus… really not especially for Gus. My son has fallen in love with you, almost as much and as hard as I have. In such a short time, you have become someone he knows he can depend on. I won’t let that self-absorbed bitch take you away from us.” He laid down, scrubbing his left hand agitatedly down his face. “I never thought I would see the day where I would be so ready to murder her, but she’s fucked with the two most important people in my life; the only people in this world I would trade my life for.”


Justin smiled slightly, before laying down with Brian on the bed, and bringing their bodies closer together. “You’re important to me, too. And I’m inclined to agree with you on all fronts, but Aiden… promise me you won’t end up in jail. They don’t allow for conjugal visits, and I’ve sort of become attached.”


Brian huffed out a short bark of laughter, which was just what Justin wanted. Sure, they were both worried, but if he could at least bring a second of mental respite to his lover, he would take it. Sobering, Justin said, “We need to get back to our seats. We should be approaching soon. I love you, Aiden.”


Brian looked down into the eyes he planned to spend a lifetime getting lost in. Bending his head slightly, he kissed the upturned lips, pulling back before the exchange turned heated. “You too, Blue. Don’t forget that, okay?”


“I won’t. I promise.”


After a long moment of silent conversation, both men arose from the bed to make their way back to their seats. No sooner had they sat down in the overstuffed chairs than they heard the Captain’s request for them to fasten their seatbelts. They did, along with everyone else on board, but Brian and Justin didn’t take their eyes from each other. Justin grabbed on to Brian’s hand, interlocking their fingers, the tension of heightened adrenaline coursing through their veins. No matter how calm they appeared to everyone else, there was no doubt in either of their minds that the situation with Lindsay was not going to end well.


As they filed out of the plane, they were greeted by the Vice President of the New York branch of Liberty Air. “Mr. Kinney, I would say that it’s a pleasure to see you again, but not under these very trying circumstances…”


“I feel the same Alton. Do you have information for me?”


“Unfortunately, I do. Perhaps we should move over here and discuss it?”


“No. Anything you have to say, you can say here. With the exception of a few friends, we’re all family. Gus?”


“You were right that she used our airline to kidnap young Master Kinney. But…”


“But?” Justin asked, apprehension clear in his voice.


Alton swallowed hard. No doubt he didn’t want to impart this report to anyone, but especially Brian Kinney. The man was notorious for scathing retorts, and an explosive temper. But Alton acknowledged that if this was his own son’s situation, he would be short on patience and demand answers immediately. With that in mind, he cleared his throat. “There was a situation on the plane. Apparently, Ms. Peterson got a bit… heavy-handed and… well currently, Gus is unconscious although we’re not exactly sure from what. The head flight attendant subdued Ms. Peterson, and we have the staff keeping an extra close eye on Gus. They should be landing momentarily, now that your plane has cleared the airspace. The police and an ambulance are already en route.”


Brian looked as if he’d been shot at first, and then incandescent with rage. And he wasn’t the only one. Before, anyone could stop her, Molly had spotted an apprehended Lindsay Peterson in the company of the flight attendant, who held a tight grip on her. Running over, with her fist drawn back, Molly delivered a left hook to the unbruised side of Lindsay’s face. Jennifer joined in, unable to help herself, she kicked Lindsay in the ribs as soon as she hit the floor. The flight attendant stood off to the side, allowing the women to do what they felt they needed to do. She wouldn’t stop them, even while the VP of Liberty Air demanded that she do so.


“What do you expect me to do, Mr. Tremell? I’m not getting in the middle of familial justice, especially not in this instance. If you want to fire me, go ahead, but she’s getting exactly what she deserves, and even that’s still not enough!”


Mel and Emmett ran over to pull Jennifer and Molly off of a moaning Lindsay even while Brian spoke directly to the flight attendant. “He’s not going to fire you,” Brian said, forcefully. “And if he even tries, I will personally discontinue the account I have with this airline after issuing a public statement of why. Now where’s my son?”


“He’s still on board, Mr. Kinney,” the flight attendant, Misty, answered. “We thought it best not to move him. There was a doctor on board, who advised us as such so we listened. I just came to bring the bitch out here to wait for the police and give my statement before going back to check on your little boy. Even with her menacing him, he didn’t back down from speaking his mind to Ms. Peterson. I suspect that’s why she did what she did.”


Brian and Justin turned towards the terminal where other passengers were exiting, determined to board the plane immediately to be with Gus. “Mr. Kinney, you can’t…” Alton began, only to be stopped by the blazing looks from both men, and several others who had just exited the plane. “Nevermind, I’ll come with you.”


“No. You will stay here and wait with me for the police, Mr. Tremell. They need to see him without an audience.”


“Mel,” Brian called out to her, while signaling Ted to take her place.


“Thank… thank you,” she whispered, gripping his hand.


“What are you thanking me for? You’re his mother, regardless of what the woman who gave birth to him thinks. I’m not that nurse.”


Realization dawned in her eyes at his words. She should have known that Brian wouldn’t have forgotten about the incident when Gus was sick and she was shut out, even if Lindsay did. It was the one time in all the years she’d known him that he couldn’t immediately fix something. That he remembered the slight meant that Brian had taken it to heart just as much as she had.


They boarded the plane, both Mel and Justin still holding Brian’s hands. After being directed to which wing Gus was in, they entered the first class area where two male flight attendants were standing watch over Gus, while the doctor checked him over. When the man lifted his head, Brian narrowed his eyes. “YOU!”


“Yes, me. I never thought I would see you again, either, Brian.”


“David, what are you doing here?” Mel asked, when the two men stood staring silently from each other.


“I wish I could say it’s good to see you again, Mel. And it would be if not for the reason why. I was on my way to a medical conference, but…” he looked down at Gus. “He’s resting as comfortably as he can now. We heard him all the way up here from economy where he was with her. I can’t even say her name or reconcile that the woman I once knew could do this.”


“You’re not the only one,” Brian muttered.


Justin bent down, kissing and stroking Gus’ head. “I’m so sorry this happened to you, Little Man. This… this…”


“Don’t, Justin,” Mel said, gripping his shoulder. “This is in no way your fault; it’s hers and hers alone. And that goes for you too, Brian.”


“Ah, still finding ways to blame yourself, are you Kinney?” David said, but there was no sarcasm or humor in it.


“Aren’t you?” Brian asked.


“No. I saw the interviews earlier. And whereas I never thought you would be the marrying kind, I can see why you would snatch him up. He’s beautiful, but more than that, he’s resilient.”


“Do I know you?” Justin asked, looking at the doctor a little more closely.


“Yes, but you probably don’t remember me. Your friend, Carla worked for me before I left here for Pittsburgh and then Oregon. I’m glad you escaped your situation,” David said, sincerely.


David remembered the many times Carla tended to Justin after asking his advice on how to treat him from the injuries the James Brothers inflicted upon him. They had snuck Justin into the hospital to x-ray him, and David prescribed him pain meds on occasion. He kept asking Carla why her friend stayed in such an abusive relationship, all Tory had told him was that Justin didn’t have a choice. He’d spent years wondering what kind of circumstances would cause the young man, not much older than his own son, to stay in a potentially dangerous situation. It wasn’t until he saw the news featuring his idiotic ex, and the subsequent interview with Brian and Justin themselves, that David began to understand just why Justin couldn’t leave. Although he pitied the young man for having to endure captivity, he admired his strength to do so in order to keep the people he loved safe. He couldn’t say he would have been able to do the same.


“So you caught the Michael show, did you?” Brian asked.


“Did I, and so did all of the world. But then again, are we really surprised at his inability not to spew shit, especially when he doesn’t agree with something? It’s why I couldn’t stay with him, Brian. Did I like sending him back to Pittsburgh? Not initially, but as time went on and I healed, I began to see just how toxic a person he is. I’m glad you found out before it was too late.”


Brian pulled Justin close into his body, as the young blond kept hold of Gus’ hand. “I am, too. It’s why I left Pittsburgh for a time. Between him and Lindsay, I couldn’t breathe and grow. Are you going to come with us to the hospital?”


“If you don’t mind. I want… I need to know how Gus is.”


“Thank you, David. I know things haven’t always been comfortable between the two of us…”


“No matter what, Brian, I couldn’t let your son suffer. Regardless of everything, I know that you have your own code of honor. It wouldn’t have allowed you to leave my son in this type of state.”


Brian nodded, looking down at Gus’, counting his respirations as his chest rose and fell. From experience, Brian knew the labored breathing indicated trauma to Gus’ chest cavity. They wouldn’t know the extent until Gus got to the hospital. He gladly could kill Lindsay for doing to Gus what his own father had done to him countless times before he was old enough and strong enough to get away from the constant abuse he’d lived with from the age of three until college. Nothing Gus could have done or said would warrant this! He would see the bitch charged to the fullest extent of the law, here and in Pittsburgh. And if the law failed him, the way it seems to be destined to do, well… The commotion at the back of the plane brought him out of his musings.

 

Oh fuck! What now?!