- Text Size +

 

 

CHAPTER 27: AFTERMATH

 

LEXINGTON AVENUE

NEW YORK


“Do you have what I asked you for?”


“Yes, but are you sure you want to go this route?” The man looked at his very last client. Never in all his years of doing these types of jobs would he have expected to come across someone of this caliber; never thought that he would ever regret the type of business he did as much as he does right this moment. “You know, sometimes the law does work in meting out justice a lot better than we can.”


The laugh that burst forth was quiet, but no less intense or humorless than he was expecting while having this conversation. “I’ve tried that route before, and received nothing but laughter and ridicule in return. Well, I don’t think anyone will be find humor at my expense again. Not after this night anyway.”


He looked at his client again, almost pleadingly. "And you’re absolutely sure there isn’t another way?”


“I am. I mean, sure there is another way, but it will just take too long. Besides, people like these men, and yes, even some women, buy their way out of justice all the time. So I’m not willing to take the chance of some technicality negating all I’ve gone through at their hands. Your briefcase is within the car, and as promised, it’s a clean milion, all unmarked hundred dollar bills. Make sure to deposit it into your account in increments so that the government doesn’t ask any unwarranted questions.”


“Maybe you’ll help me spend it?” He tried again.


“No. It’s too late for me to do anything but what I plan to do. After this, it’s over.”


“But you’ll be in jail.”


“Possibly. In fact, definitely, but I won’t feel any remorse. Truthfully, I’ll probably feel the safest I ever have in the past- I don’t even know how many- years. You have been my only true friend for as long as I can remember, and I’ll always be grateful for that. So take that money and drive away. Make a good life for yourself at long last. Safe journey, Carlo.”


“And you too,” he whispered as he watched his client walk away from him for the last time.


AIRPORT:


Oh fuck! What now?! Brian mused as he held onto Justin’s hand tighter. There wasn’t much more that he could take tonight which wouldn’t have him snapping soon.


Behind the paramedics, who were rushing onto the scene, a tall man came into the cabin. Brian could see him listening carefully to the medical talk going on between the EMTs and David, while they were loading Gus onto the gurney. Brian watched helplessly as his son continually struggled to breathe through most of the obviously painful process of being strapped down to the contraption. The older gentleman stroked Gus’ head before addressing the distraught parents.


“Mr. Taylor-Kinney, I’ve already spoken with Detective Horvath in relation to this case. I’m Commissioner Carlton Kelly of NYPD. I was just in Pittsburgh, and there are some things you need to be brought up to speed on immediately. But first let’s get this tough little boy to the hospital first.”


Brian nodded his head, as did Melanie and Justin as they followed behind the gurney. As they alighted from the plane and raced through the airport terminal, the distinct sound of yelling assaulted their ears.


“Brian, that’s Sugar,” Justin said, increasing his pace behind the gurney.


“Sugar?” The commissioner asked.


“It’s what he calls his mother,” Brian answered, rushing behind his husband. Whatever was causing that tone to erupt from Jennifer was no good at all.


“YOU SON OF A BITCH!! WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU DOING HERE?! DON’T TELL ME YOU’RE MEETING THIS BITCH!” Jennifer screamed, aiming another well-placed kick to Lindsay’s midsection. Even though she was in handcuffs and held by two officers, Jennifer was proving to be more than a handful for them. “OFFICERS, ARREST THIS MAN! HE’S BEEN IN CAHOOTS WITH THAT FUCKING SHE-WOLF TO HURT MY GRANDSON!”


“Calm down, Miss,” the officer warned her.


“CALM DOWN? I WILL NOT CALM THE FUCK DOWN! FINE! I’LL TAKE CARE OF HIM MYSELF SINCE YOU WON’T!” Jennifer fought again to get free from the officers in her quest to get to Craig.


“Officer, as you can see she’s completely unreasonable and in need of psychiatric attention immediately,” Craig said smugly. “She’s delusional and quite insane.”


“Is she really, Craig?” Justin sneered. “Officer, I would like you to release my mother this instant.”


“No chance of that happening. And you are?”


“Justin Taylor-Kinney. I believe that you have been informed of most of the circumstances surrounding my case thus far?”


“Mr. Taylor…”


“Taylor-KINNEY, please get it right,” Justin specified through gritted teeth.


“Fine, Mr. Taylor-Kinney, it doesn’t negate the fact that when we walked in here, your mother was clearly assaulting the nearly unconscious woman on the floor along with the other young woman over there also in handcuffs.”


“And I assure you there was a perfectly good reason for that…”


“Which we will be happy to get once we get the two of them downtown.”


“Stand down, Officer Rush,” Carlton ordered.


“Sir?”


“You heard me. You see that young man being loaded into the ambulance?” Officer Rush looked in the direction the Commissioner pointed. “Well that is young Augustus Taylor-Kinney, son of Brian and Justin Taylor-Kinney, grandson and nephew to the women you are holding.”


“My God, what happened to him?”


“The reason you were called here in the first place. The unconscious woman you are so concerned about is the person who beat that young boy to within an inch of his life. So take the cuffs off of these two women, AND ARREST LINDSAY PETERSON INSTEAD!” When the officer looked as if he was going to argue, Commissioner Kelly drew himself up to his full height and asked very quietly, “Dare I repeat myself?”


Officer Rush swallowed hard, “No sir.”


“Good. Now as for Craig Taylor, I will take him into custody myself.”


“What? What the hell do you mean, Kelly?! I’m not the one who committed a crime here!” Craig protested.


“No, but the fact that you are here on the orders no doubt of Connor James, means that you were just about to add another kidnapping charge to your growing list of infractions.” Craig’s eyes grew wide at his pronouncement. “Yes, we know all about the phone call which came into your residence not even two hours ago from Connor James, ordering you to obtain a package from Lindsay Peterson in the hopes of getting your former company back. So we can certainly add Conspiracy to Unlawfully Detain A Minor to the reading of your Miranda rights. Now, Craig Taylor you are under arrest for the Aiding and Abetting Connor and Brandon James in the Unlawful Detainment of Justin Taylor, Forgery, Embezzlement, the Unlawful Detainment of Lynette Algers…”


“Lynette Algers? Craig? Oh, you sonofabitch!” Jennifer shouted, well aware of the implications mentioned with Lindsay’s sister.


“Rape, attempted murder…”


“Attempted murder? Now I know you’re reaching!” Craig yelled.


“Oh really? Were you or were you not aware that your son…”


“I don’t fucking have a son!”


“Fine! Were you or were you not aware that Justin Taylor-Kinney is allergic to a lot of different drugs? I mean, as his father, you were privy to that information, correct?”


“Yeah, so?”


“So, according to the records Justin so graciously provided, and through the written account of Brandon James detailing how he and Connor James acquired Justin, you could have killed him by giving him acetaminophen.”


“All I did was open capsules of Tylenol and put it into the water bottle!”


“Exactly, asshole,” Brian growled, moving forward. “Acetaminophen’s most notable over the counter name is fucking TYLENOL!”


“Brian, no!” Justin called out, just barely making it to his husband before he reached Craig. “He’s not worth it; he’s not worth it, Brian. We have to get to the hospital. Gus needs us.”


“You guys go on. I’ll meet you both at the hospital after I see Peterson and this vermin booked properly,” Carlton advised them, already moving Craig towards the entrance. Officer Rush quickly followed him, holding tightly to a barely conscious Lindsay Peterson. “Please keep me informed of any developments regarding Gus until I can get there.”


“We will, Commissioner, and thank you,” Jennifer told him.


“I completely understand. Even if my officers didn’t. You’ll still have to come down to the station to give a formal statement. That goes for all of you.”


“We will, right after we’re sure about what’s happening with Gus,” Brian assured him. “Ted, has the car arrived yet?”


“Ah, Mr. Kinney… Taylor-Kinney, I apologize,” Alton Tremell interrupted, still a bit traumatized by the all events which happened within the Liberty Air Terminal this night. “I’ve taken the liberty to order my personal driver to transport you all to the hospital, posthaste. After hearing from Misty and the other flight attendants, I now have the complete picture of what has gone on and will address this situation accordingly.”


“Accordingly? Your idea of addressing the situation accordingly was to threaten the brave flight attendant who saved my son’s life. Because make no mistake about it, Mr. Tremell, had Lindsay not been interrupted I’m pretty certain that her next step would have been to do a lot more damage to my son’s already-broken body!” Mel yelled at the man.


“I understand that I may have rushed to judgement, but under the circumstances…”


“Fuck you, and your excuses, Tremell! I’ll be reviewing my company’s relationship with this fucking company the minute I know how my son’s doing and this situation is completely within the hands of the authorities,” Brian growled, barely holding himself in check. He looked over Alton’s left shoulder to see the trio of flight attendants standing near. “Misty, was it?”


“Yes, Sir.”


“Call me Brian. I would like very much if you three would accompany my family and me to the hospital. We need to be told everything from your points of view.”


“Thanks, since we’re all worried about him. We’ll fill you in on everything we’ve heard during the flight.”


“Uh, Misty…”


“Alton, I’m about 3.5 seconds from telling you where to take this job then where to shove it hard, and without lube. And looking at my coworkers, and that wealth of people behind you including the crowd of lingering passengers, I don’t think that I’m the only one. Now we are going with the Taylor-Kinneys and their family to check on our very brave, and yet broken passenger. And like Brian, I will be speaking to Corporate in the morning, specifically the president of the airline.”


Without another word, Misty, Faison, and Aaron, followed the Taylor-Kinneys out of the airport terminal and into the waiting limo.


CENTRAL PARK WEST


The doorbell rang twice, as Jim Stockwell was about to sit down to dinner with his family. “Honey, go on and serve the boys; I’ll get the door. I’m expecting a delivery anyway.” His wife nodded, and smiled at the older gentleman as he left the dining room.


He peeked in to see his wife once again instructing their sons on proper table manners, and laughed as he heard Jim, Junior tell his brother that they were doing it to keep their mother happy so not to give anyone a hard time. At eight and nine, it was hard for him to believe that they would be entering the finishing school stage of their education within the next two years. Junior had already taken an interest in basketball and business, like his father before him. Whereas the younger Chad Stockwell was more interested at the moment in designing video games. He didn’t care much about what they wanted to do in the future- not like some other fathers of his acquaintance. To his mind, as long as his wife and sons were happy, everything was alright in James Stockwell’s world.


He turned on the porch light, while reaching for the door. Only to find that there was no one there. He looked around the area, thinking that it was just another drop and go, which UPS sometimes did when they were busy and didn’t require a signature for delivery. He didn’t see anything out of the ordinary on the unusually quiet street, nor did he think anything was particularly wrong with the lack of activity tonight. He knew that there was some major television show scheduled to come on later, but for his part, he was intending to watch the rerun of the Taylor-Kinney interview he was forced to miss earlier in the day. He was really interested in getting the truth of the matter from Justin Taylor-Kinney’s point of view. Something about Craig’s story still wasn’t ringing true with him nor Ron. It wasn’t even that they didn’t believe what they had heard thus far, just that it didn’t seem to be the whole, unadulterated truth. From his earlier memories of Craig, he always seemed to be editing himself before he would speak- a long standing habit that Jim never thought twice of until recently. He wondered if Justin shared the same habit.


When he was halfway down the hall, the bell rung again. So turning back, he went to the door again, calling out to his wife that it was probably the delivery man this time. As before, he opened the portal, taking note that there was once again no one there, and looking for the package that was supposed to be awaiting him. Closing the door with a slight slam in annoyance, James made his way back down the hall, taking a slight detour to the family room to make sure the DVR was set to record since it was obvious that the conclusion of his dinner tonight was going to be a little later than usual. It was the one rule his wife insisted on when they bought the brownstone: No eating anywhere in the house except the dining room or kitchen table. Since the living room television was the one closest to the kitchen, the boys usually used that one and Jim got relegated to the den at the other end of the hall. The only time he really used the tv in the kitchen area was during the big games, such as the Super Bowl, NBA Playoffs and Finals, or the MLB World Series. Other than that, he was happy to have what he playfully called his man-cave.

 

Just as he entered the dining room, he was interrupted by the doorbell again. His wife looked at him questioningly, but he waved her back to her seat to continue eating and teaching the boys proper dinner etiquette. Jim, clearly annoyed, marched his way back to the door and wrenched it open. Before he could even register what was happening, he felt the sharpness of the blade slit his throat on both sides where his carotid arteries were located. The quick and precise actions left little time before the fatally wounded man fell to the floor. Gazing into the eyes of his assailant, he barely managed to keep his eyes in focus as his killer took a gloved finger and smeared the words ‘Revenge and Justice- One down, four to go’ on the glass of his front door. Then wiping the remainder of his blood from the knife onto his shirt front, his attacker smiled into his eyes as the puddle of Jim’s blood increased in size around his supine-positioned body. Jim’s last conscious thoughts were I’m so fucking sorry! I should have stopped it a long time ago. God forgive me!