- Text Size +

CHAPTER THREE

 

CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE PERSONAL KIND

 

 

 

(May 9th 2005)

 

 

 

"What pray tell are we doing here, Daph?"

 

"You need a night out, Justin. After all you've been through you need to mingle and socialize and acclimate yourself to a different type of existence. No time like the present."

 

"Okay, I'll give you that but a masquerade ball at..what the hell is this place anyway?"

 

She huffed a little. She understood what was going through his mind even if he wouldn't voice the fear of being discovered. "This," she said in a broad sweeping gesture to encompass the whole room, "is Babylon and tonight's event is a fundraiser for AIDS awareness being hosted by the Gay and Lesbian Center. Think of the mask as a way to meet people without fear of being recognized."

 

"Fine Daphne, but when the masks are to come off I want to be long gone, understand?"

 

 

 

She nodded. She and Alex had already planned to whisk Justin away before midnight for the same reasons he wanted to go. Connor was a well-known man and there was no telling who or how many people he may know in any area. Justin was right to be nervous but she would be damned if he had escaped that hell only to become a recluse.

 

She remembered the day her missing best friend had called her out of the blue, explaining Craig Taylor's treachery. His father had made all those who cared about him think Justin had accepted an early admittance and summer internship at Dartmouth, including Jennifer Taylor. When asked why he never called, he told her honestly of the restrictions he'd been kept, the no contact clause implemented within the contract and how he managed to procure a cell phone without Connor and Brandon James finding out. She passed along all of the information to Mrs. Taylor and told her where to look for pictures and paperwork regarding his father's assets and affair which Justin had been stashing away since the day he'd found out.

 

During one of Craig's "business conventions," Daphne had stumbled over the contract regarding Justin while searching for other documents which would help Mrs. Taylor in her divorce. Those files had awarded Jennifer Taylor everything the family owned, including Taylor Electronics, which was the cornerstone of Justin's problem in the first place and consequently the house Craig lived in with his ‘new' family. Molly told her mother she should have kicked Craig out but Jennifer had other ideas and had to ensure Justin's safety above all. Daphne told Justin the contract expiration date which Connor nor Brandon had done. It was clear to Justin, Daphne and Jennifer why the information had been kept secret.

 

As a result, Craig was given the same date for his last day of working for the company he built. By the time she'd spoken to Justin again a month later, he had worked out a plan of action to keep them from holding him longer than the contract stated. From that point onward, they all worked hard to help Justin endure a fate he had not decided; and they would work just as hard to make sure he was whole again. She was most determined that the boy she'd known as the most spirited, carefree, daring to the point of being recklessness, fiercely independent person she'd ever met return. And if that meant she had to fight Justin Taylor himself, she would.

 

For Justin's part, he would rather be back at home, snug in the platform bed which had come with his new place. He had been on a whirlwind roller coaster ever since stepping off the plane two days ago. Upon arrival in Pittsburgh, Daphne and Alex had driven him straight to his new loft. It was much more than he could have ever dreamed of when he'd designed it and emailed the pictures of his specifications to Daphne which she, Alex and his mother had seen to during his stay in Gay Hell. Some things had already come with the luxury apartment meant for living- state-of-the-art home appliances, marble countertops, hardwood floors and imported Italian light fixtures- everything to make the place aesthetically beautiful. Justin requested that not only a wall be knocked out to have one continuous space, he'd had also the contractors put in a wall of double-pane bay windows to let in natural light on the areas which would serve as the dining area and entertainment area as well as his studio. The furniture within the space itself was a combination between sleek and high end and plush sofas meant for comfort. Partitions was built in to allow for sections of the home to be closed off at any given time but would remain open until needed. Exposed brick and beams lent a decided masculine appearance while the area rugs defining each portion of the large space was clearly his mother's touch. Glass coffee and end tables held stainless steel lamp while some of his paintings limned the walls in strategic locations. The Master suite in the second loft space had been redone to include a large Jacuzzi tub in addition to the already established walk-in shower. All-in-all, Justin couldn't have been happier with the end results. He'd spent the time getting his studio in order which was the only space left for him to set-up entirely the way he wanted it. He done it but if he had known the end result would be Daphne dragging him out, he wouldn't have rushed to get it finished. He understood her motives but that didn't mean he had to like them.

 

They descended the stairs leading from the catwalk to mingle with the crowd. She could tell that even with the anonymity the mask provided, her friend was still uncomfortable. As she led him to the open bar, she could feel his grip on her hand tighten. They bobbed and weaved through the sea of bodies, hearing the cacophony of people determined to have a good time. His hand was inadvertently jerked from hers when they bumped in to a tall man and medium height blonde. She looked over to Justin to make sure he was alright and nearly laughed out loud at the stunned look on her friend's face. The man Justin had bumped into had the same expression of surprise written on his.

 

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

 

 

 

"Remind me what the fuck we're doing here again," the gruff voice demanded while the blonde who accompanied him rolled her green eyes. Even with the mask firmly in place she conveyed her annoyance although she kept her voice well-modulated and light.

 

"Brian, you have to be here since technically you are hosting the benefit for the Gay and Lesbian Center."

 

He groaned. "I don't even like the people who run the damn Center. Why would Ted think this was a good idea?"

 

Cynthia had the sudden urge to step on his Gucci-encased foot. Brian wasn't generally a complainer but for some reason he couldn't seem to cease the activity tonight. "It is a good cause, Brian. As far as Ted, he made sure we all had residual incomes. Mine is with Fairmont hotels, his is with the Met Opera House and yours is with Babylon. This engagement was booked in advance and like it or not, you had to honor it. The one thing the sleaze ball, Saperstein did was sign the contract in which ten percent of the ticket sales goes back into the club. Considering he was convicted on embezzlement charges, I think he and the Center did you a good turn. So suck it up and smile pretty, Kinney."

 

 

 

They moved further into the room from the right entry way, being stopped every now and again by people meandering by or greeting them before the party got into full swing. Looking at people he recognized even behind their masks, he was grateful for his own. He had been gone more than five years and really had no plans to rewrite history this evening. All he wanted at that moment was a glass of Beam.

 

 

 

"Umf."

 

 

 

Cynthia stopped as she heard the grunt on her left. She turned expecting to hear an immediate string of expletives spill out of the wide open mouth of her friend and employer. Instead what she regarded made her nearly laugh out loud. In all the years she'd known Brian Kinney, she had never witnessed him speechless. Interesting.

 

 

 

Brian was having only one thought run through his head at being unceremoniously halted from his pursuit of liquid fortification: Fuck! The unfamiliar jolt which ran through his body at the contact of the man in front of him was foreign and nearly took his breath away. Upon first impressions, Brian could tell he was young but not in a teenager sort of way. The midnight blue Armani suit he wore was from the current spring collection as was the silk shirt just a shade lighter. The mop of blond hair which had been pulled back neatly had a few strands knocked loose and had reminded him of spun gold. The full beard he sported was no less mesmerizing for its deeper shade. But what really caught Brian's attention and almost made him smile was the navy blue Converse All-Stars which adorned the man's feet.

 

 

 

"I'm sorry, Sir," the soft yet deep voice said. It had a breathy quality which Brian knew all too well.

 

He swallowed hard trying to tamp down his own instantaneous arousal. "It's okay. I take it we were heading in the same direction."

 

He nodded. "I guess so," he said, sending shivers down Brian's spine.

 

"After you, then," Brian said cordially still trying to regain his composure.

 

 

 

He watched as the boy and his companion breezed by with a slight nod of their heads. When he diverted his eyes from Brian, who knew he was openly staring, the one thing the older man wished was for better lighting. He wanted to look into his eyes and played a mental game of what color they would be. He usually liked his men shaved but there was something visceral in that brief connection; something which excited and scared the shit out of him. Brian could feel Cynthia's eyes on him as he watched the hasty retreat of the blond and his companion.

 

 

 

"What was that all about?" he heard her ask.

 

Shaking himself he shrugged feigning indifference. "It was nothing."

 

"Uh-huh." The skeptical quality of her tone earned her a stern look from Brian.

 

"Look. Forget it, it really was nothing."

 

"I believe you. Although..."

 

"Drop it, Cyn."

 

 

 

She nodded as he led her off to the other end of the bar, away from the blond who had all of her boss' attention...even if he wouldn't admit it.

 

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

 

 

 

Brian would have been relieved to know that he wasn't the only one enduring that incessant sizzle in his veins. Justin Taylor had never put much faith in the laws of attraction when it came to people. Considering his limited experience with other men, it was understandable but when his upper body touched the stranger's, he'd felt that elusive jolt he'd only read about in his old physics textbook and the occasional gay romance novel he perused while under lock and key. When the man had looked at him, he'd felt stripped bare as if the all-encompassing look was imagining things Justin was not eager to experience again...at least he wasn't until then. He caught a glimpse of sparkling hazel eyes behind the black and gold mask before quickly lowering his head to shield his own. The man wore the black Armani suit as if it were tailored just for him, the black silk shirt open at the neck revealing tanned skin. But what caused Justin alarm was the power the man exuded. It was as bright as a beacon which lured Justin but also warned him to proceed with caution. He could feel the contradictory feelings warring deep within him.

 

 

 

"Hello? Earth to Justin, come in Justin," Daphne's voice interrupted his thoughts.

 

"Um...yeah," he answered as she smiled wide at him.

 

"I asked if you wanted your usual."

 

 

 

He nodded not trusting himself to speak until he regained his composure. When the triple shot of Beam came to him, he did his best not to drain the entire glass in one gulp. He still felt nervous and giddy inside as if he was being electrified from the inside out. It was as if the man had somehow imprinted his body onto Justin's. He felt exposed; reluctant but making eye contact with the man who regarded him from the other end of the bar. He raised his glass in silent salute to Justin who in turn raised his own before he caught himself.

 

 

 

"You should go talk to him," he heard Daphne say.

 

"What? No," Justin replied a little annoyed to have the wish voiced spoken aloud.

 

"What harm could it do, Justin? You seriously need to regain your social skills. What better way to do that than beside or on top of that gorgeous man?"

 

Justin laughed as he looked down into her upturned face. "Subtly was never your strong point, Daph."

 

"It never had to be. I think he would be the perfect person to help you get your feet wet in a new town...well more than just your feet."

 

Justin shook his head relieved to find somethings never changed. Daphne Chanders was at base still incorrigible and without filter. She always said if she thought it she might as well say it. That kind of raw honesty between them was why their friendship remained strong since they first met back in kindergarten. "I'll think about it okay, Daph."

 

"Damn right you will and I'm going to help by implanting thoughts and dropping verbal boulders over your head until you act on it."

 

 

 

Justin was saved from responding by Alex who slid into place beside Daphne and whispered into her ear. Based on the soft smile and the nod of her head, Justin knew he'd be standing alone for a few minutes and mentally girded himself for the eventuality. As they moved off toward the dance floor, he thought back over their conversation since they arrived in the dance club. He knew she was right but he still couldn't help but be a bit reserved. She knew of a lot of his time in the last five years but she didn't know all of it. Even thinking about it while standing in the middle of the crowded space, had Justin signaling the bartender for another triple shot of the amber liquid.

 

 

 

"You should probably slow down on those. The drinks here aren't watered down." The voice was close to his ear and he couldn't help the shiver of awareness which raced through him.

 

Turning slowly, he confirmed it had belonged to the man he'd literally run into. He was thankful he decided to not shave for the past week and that the mask, although ornate was still Zorro-esque which shielded all but his eyes, mouth and hair. Justin felt his face heat under the intense scrutiny of the taller man. Daphne's observation about his social skills prompted him to answer.

 

"Thanks for the warning. I'll remember next time."

 

 

 

Brian couldn't help the small smile which turned up the corners of his mouth. He knew that should have been the end of it but for some reason he couldn't fathom, he had the urge to linger with the younger man before him. A very familiar song began to play in the background, one that Brian hadn't heard for years. So acting on impulse, he touched the strong hand gripping the glass pushing it down gently toward the bar. Brian was surprised when he didn't encounter immediate resistance but a slight tremble instead. The spark returned instantly making his breath catch. Judging from the choppy rise and fall of the other man, the feeling was mutual. Brian, never one to blow an opportunity, grasped the hand and led him to the dance floor.

 

Let me hold you tight

 

If only for one night

 

Let me keep you near

 

To ease away your fear

 

It would be so nice

 

If only for one night*

 

He let the words wash over him, feeling the other man melt into him as they swayed.

 

 

 

"What's your name?" Brian asked, genuinely wanting to hear him speak again. He watched the motion intently as the man in his arms wet his lips before speaking. A small smile played at the corners of his lips.

 

"Blue. And yours?"

 

"You can call me Aiden."

 

 

 

I won't tell a soul

 

No one has to know

 

If you want to be totally discreet

 

I'll be at your side

 

If only for one night*

 

 

 

"Ah... Aiden as in ‘fiery one' or as in the benevolent Irish Bishop?"

 

Brian smiled full-on. He couldn't help it. There were two things he valued in people: honesty and intelligence. And although the man who moved like a dream had given him an alias, it still fit. "Most would say the first one fits but there are those who think I'm kind. What do you think?" He was gratified to hear the slight snicker at his reasoning.

 

"I can't form an objective opinion without proof of one or the other," the younger man said breathlessly as Brian twirled him and brought him back into full contact with his body.

 

"The night's still young." Brian's voice dropped an octave and he relished the involuntary shiver it caused in Blue.

 

***

 

 

 

Your eyes say things I never hear from you

 

And my knees are shaking too

 

But I'm willing to go through

 

I must be crazy

 

Standin in this place

 

But I'm feeling no disgrace

 

For asking*

 

 

 

Justin's POV

 

 

 

What in the hell am I doing? And more importantly, why the hell do I feel so fucking safe doing it? I don't know this man but my body seems to. That has got to be the most fucking ridiculous thought I've ever had. Perhaps this tall enigmatic man with the witty repartee was correct in warning me about all the Beam I consumed. It would certainly explain how I'm not cringing at his touch, or at the intense way he's looking at me. It's so different from Connor's look. It's possessive and all-consuming but it's not angry or mocking. It's not degrading and maybe that's because of this mask. Daphne was right about the anonymity factor. Behind this mask I can be who I want to be and right now I want to be Blue- carefree and normal. Two things I'm afraid I will never be again. But just for tonight, under the hot lights in a dance club turned ballroom, draped in Armani with an equally clad warm man, may be I can be.

 

 

 

**

 

 

 

With the thoughts circling around in his head, as well as the most suggestive and romantic lyrics of the song and the intoxicating feel and smell of Aiden, Justin threw caution to the wind. Just for tonight. He stood on tiptoe, curling his fingers into the nape of the taller man, he brought their lips together. Acknowledging the now familiar awareness of the body pressed against his, Justin snaked his tongue out to tease the corners of Aiden's sensual lips, barely grazing the lower lip when granted entry. Tracing the outline with his tongue, the tactile stimulation painted a perfect picture behind his closed eyes; the taste firing his imagination casting images of what it could be like to have more of this man. Fitting his lips completely on the mouth over him, Justin felt drugged even knowing he was sober and eager. He couldn't get enough and more importantly it was by his design... by his choice. With that knowledge, Justin let loose the reins, changing the tenor of the kiss. Aiden willingly followed, dueling with his tongue and pulling moans from Justin. God, he tastes so damn good. His breath became Aiden's and vice versa. He was so lost in the exchange he almost missed the constant vibration from the inner pocket of his jacket. He felt the immediate sense of loss when the man he was just beginning to discover pulled back.

 

 

 

"I think you better get that."

 

 

 

Justin shook his head slightly to clear it, smiling brightly at the same dazed look he knew he wore plainly visible on Aiden's face. He flipped open the phone noticing the message and then the time. Shit!

 

 

 

Let me take you home

 

To keep you safe and warm

 

Till the early dawn

 

Warms up to the sun

 

It would be so nice if only for one night*

 

 

 

Brian watched Blue as he read the text message. His scent surrounded him- that subtle aroma of lemons, his aftershave and something that was undeniably Blue. It had taken considerable restraint not to grab him and run for the backroom of the club while they kissed. Brian found himself lost in the exchange in a way he never had been before. No man had ever made him nearly cum with a mere kiss. But that was no ‘mere' anything. That kiss was the epitome of what a kiss during foreplay should be. Blue had invaded his mouth and clouded his senses with a single minded focus; thrusting and parrying each time- never allowing Brian to become complacent or used to a set rhythm. Claimed and conquered. That's how Brian felt... and for the first time in his life, he didn't balk at the feeling.

 

 

 

"I have to go," Blue said.

 

Brian figured as much at the insistence of the much ignored cell phone buzzes. "I want to see you again."

 

 

 

He enjoyed the sight of the tell-tale blush gracing his little upturned nose. He would have given anything to see it grace his entire face just then. Damn masks.

 

 

 

"I would like that. Do you come here often?"

 

Brian smiled. "Not for many years. Do you?"

 

"I just moved here about a week ago. This is my first official night on the town."

 

"And have you enjoyed your night?"

 

Blue nodded. "It was a very interesting night, Aiden."

 

He folded his lips in and closed his eyes at the sound of his rarely used or uttered middle name. He generally hated it but Blue saying it made the name sound sexy as hell. "Have you been to the Liberty Diner yet?" He had a feeling he would be sorry for suggesting there but it was a fairly safe place and not far from the club.

 

"No but my friend, Daphne goes there pretty often."

 

"How is your schedule next week?" Brian really wanted to pounce on him but in spite of the passionate exchange, something deep inside of him flashed caution. This was the first man he'd met with a real chance of holding his attention. The fact that he knew that instantly was a miracle in and of itself. Jonas hadn't held it since the third month they were seeing each other. He was attracted to Jonas but certainly not like this.

 

"I start my new job on Monday but perhaps the following week we can meet for coffee. Is that okay?"

 

 

 

Brian smiled at his nervousness. Something about him made Brian want to cover and protect him regardless of how strong and sure he looked. There was a vulnerable quality in his eyes that couldn't be buried deep enough that Brian wouldn't see it. Perhaps he was the only one who did. Blue's phone buzzed again. He looked up apologetically.

 

 

 

"That's fine. I know you have to go. Here let me have you phone." Brian took the phone and went straight to the contacts icon. He almost laughed out loud when he saw the list of people. It reminded him of how he kept his own contact list with code names for his friends. Someday Brian hoped he would know Blue enough for him to tell him who's ‘Sugar' and ‘Mollusk' are. He already figured who ‘Daffy' is. He was relieved when the man she stood waiting for Blue with had come in. Seeing how close they were, it was almost believable to view Blue and her as a couple. But he had called her his best friend. "Here see if you can find me." Brian handed him back the phone.

 

Brian couldn't stop the smile when Blue laughed at the location of Brian's moniker. "I won't forget Bishop Fire." Blue's smooth tenor voice resonated deep in Brian's core. And with a quick kiss and an uttered "Later" Blue disappeared into the crowd..

 

 

 

A moment later, Brian felt his own phone buzz. Looking down was a brief text message with the ten digits he was hoping for and the letters S.W.A.K. He hadn't known his assistant had seen the exchange or noticed the wistful look, Brian didn't have a chance to conceal.

 

 

 

"Sealed with a kiss," she said. "Nice." She smiled and winked at him when he frowned.

 

"How much longer do we have to stay?"

 

"We could have gone a half an hour ago but I didn't want to disturb you," she replied with a knowing look in her green eyes.

 

Brian shook his head and smiled one of his rare smiles. "Well let's get the hell out of here." And arm in arm they made their way through the crowd the same way Blue and Daffy had gone.

 

 

 

 

 

*If Only for One Night- Luther Vandross